ADVERTISEMENT

Is Owings the secret sauce?

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
… for a winning edge?

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...letic-performance-derek-owings-a-winning-edge

Cignetti, who’s been a head coach since 2011 and on college coaching staffs since 1983, said strength and conditioning has changed a lot through the years and become more scientific. Owings holds several certifications, including CSCS-NSCA, USAW-Level 1, Running Mechanics Professional Level 1 and 2, Metabolic Analytics Practitioner, FRCms, Precision Nutrition Level 1, Body Type Nutrition, CPR and AED - ARC.

That’s one long list of credentials…

Last edited:
Perhaps this quote is key …

Over the last few seasons at James Madison, Owings is most proud that players got faster during the season and typically hit their personal records in October and November. His focus on speed correlates with Cignetti’s belief in shorter, up-tempo practices.

“If you're not running with at least 90 percent, at least that’s the kind of number I like, every five to seven days, it’s proven in science we’re getting slower,” Owings said in an interview with Rhett Lewis. “So if you train slow, you’re going to play slow. I think that’s what coach Cig does a great job of. We practice fast, maybe a little bit shorter, but it’s quick, it’s uptempo, it’s fast and our guys get faster in season.”

Practice fast should help “getting off the ball” fast … for OL and DL.

I am sure Cig has a great S&C coach and staff.

That said, literally every program (fb and bb) thinks they have the best S&C coach. Can’t really prove otherwise or rank them. It’s not a big deal and I’m not saying this article is wrong, it’s just funny to observe every coach making a case for their strength guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT