ADVERTISEMENT

Is It Time ...

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
for Major League Baseball to require uniform outfield fence lengths?

Is it fair for Boston and NY to have "porches" that allow padded HR stats, or some stadiums to have oddly-constructed points, edges and quirks in a right field corner that turn singles into triples?

Is it fair for Boston and NY to have "porches" that allow padded HR stats, or some stadiums to have oddly-constructed points, edges and quirks in a right field corner that turn singles into triples?
I think you are taking the notion of “equity “ a step too far. I think micro- pixel and super slo-mo for instant replay is bad enough. The Green Monster, varying foul territory and other quirks are good.

Leave uniformity to the infield.

I don't think that at all. However, the things you mention does mean that a lot of "records" are meaningless since a home run in one park may be just a long out in another park. I do hope they get the balls and strikes to be automatically called because some of the umpires are horrible. Besides that, the umpires are a big bunch of babies.... look at them the wrong way and they throw you out of the game.

I thought this was going to be about Coach Allen. That answer is yes. I was so hoping he was going to be the one.

I believe this is your first ever baseball post . . . . Although I believe it’s a code for a new football coach.

Ohio State fans are clamoring for a new coach. Maybe IU can get Day.

I thought this was going to be about Coach Allen. That answer is yes. I was so hoping he was going to be the one.
I was hoping so too. I’ve come to the conclusion the “one” doesn’t exist for IU.

I was hoping so too. I’ve come to the conclusion the “one” doesn’t exist for IU.
Sure he does. IU will never, ever spend the money.

“Aw, a big time name guy would never come to IU.” Thus, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Have we ever really tried something jaw-dropping? Nope. So we’ll never know. And we’ll keep hearing about bringing in some recently successful mid-major guy. He’ll struggle. Rinse and repeat.

Jimbo Fisher.

Reactions: larsIU
We had Kalen DeBoer and let him get away?
It's clearly obvious Kalen and Penix were responsible for Allen's two winning seasons. IU really effed up letting Kalen go. They should have offered him the head job and demoted Allen to DC. I bet they both would have agreed to it.

It's clearly obvious Kalen and Penix were responsible for Allen's two winning seasons. IU really effed up letting Kalen go. They should have offered him the head job and demoted Allen to DC. I bet they both would have agreed to it.

Kalen was going back to Fresno (when offered) no matter what. Family dug it here well enough, but one of his daughters is apparently a pretty solid softball player, and she was missing her club team back there. No way we coulda pulled that off (hiring him, having him decline Fresno, and demoting CTA).

And 2019 was an equal mix Ramsey and Penix, IMO. Both played well.

No.

Yes.

The only possible way IU will ever be relevant in football is to convince some really big name coach to come here for a boatload of money. It would have to be a coach who is such a big name that he can draw big time recruits with no help from the school at all. And it would have to be a guy who would be intrigued by an attempt at accomplishing the impossible, even if it means being tasked with something that is even beyond his reach, because even if we lured such a name here, there's a very real chance he'd still fail.

The only possible way IU will ever be relevant in football is to convince some really big name coach to come here for a boatload of money. It would have to be a coach who is such a big name that he can draw big time recruits with no help from the school at all. And it would have to be a guy who would be intrigued by an attempt at accomplishing the impossible, even if it means being tasked with something that is even beyond his reach, because even if we lured such a name here, there's a very real chance he'd still fail.
Jon Gruden

Reactions: stollcpa
Jimbo Fisher?

Reactions: Univee2

You would have lost that bet by a large margin.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I don't think that at all. However, the things you mention does mean that a lot of "records" are meaningless since a home run in one park may be just a long out in another park. I do hope they get the balls and strikes to be automatically called because some of the umpires are horrible. Besides that, the umpires are a big bunch of babies.... look at them the wrong way and they throw you out of the game.
And, please tell us (without looking it up) how many of Babe Ruth's home runs were hit at ball parks that had no outfield fences at all.

Oh, and are you also proposing to require hockey rinks to start having the same exact dimensions?

They don't?
As I recall, (1) the distances between the center red line and the two blue lines (i.e. the thick ones) are the same everywhere, (2) the distance between the sides/sideboards can vary, and the distance from each goal to its closest blue line can vary.

For a long time the Rangers played on a rink smaller than most, so the Rangers recruited big goons to play defense, because smaller, quicker opponents had less room on that rink to skate past the goons.

It's sorta like the Yankees know the right field fence at Yankee Stadium is short, so the Yankees have always had more left handed power hitters and strong lefthanded pitching staffs.

Last edited:
Have we ever really tried something jaw-dropping? Nope. So we’ll never know. And we’ll keep hearing about bringing in some recently successful mid-major guy. He’ll struggle. Rinse and repeat.
Does Sam Wyche count? Big name, ugly uniforms, left after one year 3-8 for the Cincinnati Bengals and later won a Super Bowl.

Does Sam Wyche count? Big name, ugly uniforms, left after one year 3-8 for the Cincinnati Bengals and later won a Super Bowl.
“Ugly uniforms” is generous. Try, hideous.

Wyche was an assistant offensive coach with the 49ers for several years before becoming IU’s coach. Not really a “big name” hire at the time. Became Big Time when he was hired by the Bengals after his one year at IU.

And he never won a Super Bowl with the Bengals. I think I would have heard about that. Still hoping for that first one, along with a 6th banner in Assembly Hall, before I move on . . . .

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
And he never won a Super Bowl with the Bengals. I think I would have heard about that. Still hoping for that first one, along with a 6th banner in Assembly Hall, before I move on . . . .
Thanks for fixing my memory. You're right he lost to the 49ers. It's a bitch getting old sometimes.

Thanks for fixing my memory. You're right he lost to the 49ers. It's a bitch getting old sometimes.
It’s why we hate the 49ers and, now, the Chiefs, always getting in the way. That and the fact that every offensive lineman for the Bengals since Munoz and Whitworth seems to lose every blocking skill they ever developed prior to putting on the stripes. Thus, Joe Burrow runs for his life most games and will possibly end up as the next Andrew Luck.

Reactions: iubhounds
It’s why we hate the 49ers and, now, the Chiefs, always getting in the way. That and the fact that every offensive lineman for the Bengals since Munoz and Whitworth seems to lose every blocking skill they ever developed prior to putting on the stripes. Thus, Joe Burrow runs for his life most games and will possibly end up as the next Andrew Luck.
The Bengals hiring Wyche away is one of the reasons I hate the Bengals. He had what probably would’ve been the best IU recruiting class ever lined up. I barely followed recruiting back then, but I knew about Mark Higgs, because he was from Owensboro, Kentucky, one of the places where I grew up and was living in ‘83.

Higgs switched to Kentucky after Wyche resigned, and ended up setting school records there for season, rushing yard, yard per carry average, most hundred yard games in a season and career average per carry. Wound up as leading rusher for the Dolphins a couple of years.

The Bengals hiring Wyche away is one of the reasons I hate the Bengals. He had what probably would’ve been the best IU recruiting class ever lined up. I barely followed recruiting back then, but I knew about Mark Higgs, because he was from Owensboro, Kentucky, one of the places where I grew up and was living in ‘83.

Higgs switched to Kentucky after Wyche resigned, and ended up setting school records there for season, rushing yard, yard per carry average, most hundred yard games in a season and career average per carry. Wound up as leading rusher for the Dolphins a couple of years.
Mallory recruited college football great running back Anthony Thompson.

Plus, the Bengals have had a few players that participated in well-publicized off-the-field activities, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT