ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to extend Coach Wilson's contract? (Long post)

I personally want the Western Ky coach if Wilson can't get the job done. I'm basing part of this on the season Western is expected to have...Brohm will be a hot name if they win 8-9 games.

I personally want the Western Ky coach if Wilson can't get the job done. I'm basing part of this on the season Western is expected to have...Brohm will be a hot name if they win 8-9 games.

Especially if he brings his whole staff. He can hit the ground running.

I'd definitely be on board.

Of course, this is IU, so....

And in 3-4 years you BOTH would want him fired, and so on .....

Hey, I don't necessarily think Wilson should get whacked if he doesn't get to a bowl this year.

if Glass wants to make a change, then I'm all for bringing in an existing staff from a lower level school

We haven't even started this season yet, for God's sake.

Not really. Recruiting is doing pretty well I'd say. ... The thing that people fail to realize is that if you win, you recruit well. Wilson and staff are great sellers of the program, but winning will bring these kids from instate and beyond that are going elsewhere.

Recruiting well while NOT winning is nothing to sneeze at.

If a HC or a staff guy cannot tell a recruit "Our HC has 4 years left - he'll be here," you have already sent the message "we're not sure we're headed in the right direction."

In today's market, you have to give your coach ALL the tools they need to succeed - including a 4 year tail minimum. If you aren't willing to eat a 4 year tail, then stop trying to play big boy football.

Yes, we gotta win, and SOON (the momentum window is closing), but we MUST act like we believe "we are still in this thing" instead of "we need to start looking around."

At the same time, the BEST AD around (Jurich) has a list of "the next coach" in every sport he oversees. He hires in about 3 days.

Uhh...guys?

Jim Tressel came to a school with infinitely better talent in the program.
How would Jim Tressel have done at IU with out pitiful support and fans damn near soiling themselves to get inside Assembly Hall when it is only August....and that's to watch a program no better than 5th place consistently.

Brady Hoke is available, turned around BSU and SDSU, and of course the argument will be he failed at Michigan but so did Rich Rod to a much bigger degree and now he is thriving at Arizona
Yikes, no Hoke. I'm ok with Wilson this year and the next. If a change is to be made
in the future the guy at Western Ky. needs a close look. It all boils down to
recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting. I was hoping maybe we could get
the Zooker, not as a coach, but a recruiter. Say what you want about Zook as a
coach but he could recruit. Wishful thinking now, Zook will not leave Green Bay
anytime soon.

Like who?

Just off the top of my head it seems to me that most of the successful AD's have quite a bit of previous experience, or they were a coach or player at the level they are currently presiding over.
Well, Swarbrick at ND for one. I can look up more later.

If, as many ITT seem to believe, IU truly is on the cusp of having a breakout year, now would be the time to offer an extension. Others have asked "what's the rush?" No rush but if you don't extend him 2-3 years (I do not support a longer extension) and we do have a breakout year chances are he'll be gone; scooped up by a more successful program who recognize what he might be able to do with even better overall talent. So there is a risk in not offering him a modest extension.

I'm new to this board and also a Colorado grad and season ticket holder so also want to offer a cautionary tale which turned out to be a bad historical lesson from CU. As you may recall, Gary Barnett was fired from CU after leading them to the Big 12 championship game as a result of the non-scandal "scandal". CU hired Dan Hawkins from Boise State who turned out to be a buffoon of astronomical proportions. But, at the time of his hiring he was arguably one of the hottest commodities in college coaching given the huge success of the Boise program. Of course, in hindsight, it appears that Chris Peterson was really the brains of that operation. His first year at the helm CU goes something like 2-10. The next year (2006?) we go to the Independence Bowl against Alabama. Then Hawkins is given an extension, the guy turns into the "anti-charisma" and fans are calling for his head from year 3 on. They can't/don't can him despite a huge outcry from the boosters/fans because they just extended him for another 5 years and the buyout was too much. Unable to take the onslaught of letters to the Board of Regents they finally cave about 3 years too late. They hire a "CU man" Jon Embree with no head coaching experience and his buddy Eric Bienemy who quickly prove that they have absolutely no idea what they're doing and are quickly canned at the end of their 2 year reign of terror. By now, November of 2012, CU is arguably one of the worst football programs in Division 1 football despite having been one of the top 20 winningest football programs before the "decade of disaster."

December of 2012 we hire Mike McIntyre who took San Jose State from 1-11 his first year to 10-2, a top 25 ranking and a bowl game in year 3. He hires former USF head coach and SF 49ers LB coach, Jim Leavitt, to be his Defensive Coordinator and Buff fans finally see the program slowly creeping back up out of the cellar after a decade of irrelevance.

This is the type of slide IU wants to prevent. We've never been up with the exception of a string of bowls under Mallory so the slide may not seem as severe but the example is offered to be cautious when considering/not considering an extension for Coach Wilson and is why I believe a 2-3 year extension is a reasonable demonstration of good faith to show we understand the hand he was dealt and believe he's on the cusp of moving the program forward (if he hasn't already). Clearly, he isn't the PR disaster and utter nozzle that Dan Hawkins turned out to be so I don't think the risk is anywhere near the same. I'm in for 2-3 year extension. Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT