ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cignetti potentially our Bill Snyder?

Harry Hondo

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2015
Kansas State is ranked in the top 20 right now and since Snyder built the program it’s been a good to very good program. Before Snyder they were a terrible program (.370 winning percentage) and he is credited with singlehandedly making them into the winners that they still are today. Can IU sustain this if Cignetti stays here awhile and has a lot of consistent success?

If coach Cignetti was younger, you could say he might be our Coach Bowden. People forget or don't know how bad FSU was before Coach Bowden change them into a national power.
Right, attended the All-American Bowl in 1986 against FSU/Bobby Bowden & his team was more talented than Indiana's.

Kansas State is ranked in the top 20 right now and since Snyder built the program it’s been a good to very good program. Before Snyder they were a terrible program (.370 winning percentage) and he is credited with singlehandedly making them into the winners that they still are today. Can IU sustain this if Cignetti stays here awhile and has a lot of consistent success?
and as recall he did it with transfers and smart scheduling

Bill Snyder was the king of brining in Juco players on an annual basis. Gotta hand it to the guy - he found a way to consistently win 8+ games every season. Cig seems like this is where he'd like to retire and I love what he is building here. Kudos to Dolson and crew for getting him.

Hope so! I think it could happen. Cig is a fair bit older, so we likely won't have him specifically as our head coach for as many years as KState had Snyder. But one of my bigger hopes, outside Cig sticking it out and coaching at IU for 5+ years...is establishing IU as a destination level program for aspiring coaches. Cig has them on his staff now, hopefully one of them has the makings of backfilling him when he's done. THAT is what Cig's biggest and most important contribution to IU football might end up being.

We've had little multiple year bright spots in our program before. I'm not sure at the level we're seeing now, but we've little runs where we've been a top 25 level program for a few years. What everyone before him has failed to do, however, is build any sort of continuity. Hopefully Cig wants to do that, at IU...and then someone like Shanahan takes over...and continues it...

Reactions: red hornet
I had posited the hope the CCC could be IU’s Bill Snyder.
Like the Bowden CCC comparison too.
It’s hard to see where CCC would get asked to retire at 66 1/2.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT