ADVERTISEMENT

Is anybody besides me allergic to cigar smoke? We had our interclub

A golf match is challenging enough without having to try to remain upwind from the cigar smoke while playing the round. We had a slow group in front of us and it was a long 4.5 hours. I really can't understand why a golfer can't go 4.5 hours without smoking a cigar when he knows a member of his foursome is allergic to the smoke. He must be addicted to cigars.

A lot of guys only smoke cigars when they play golf.

I'm curious what would happen if someone in your group fired up some MJ...I imagine you would spontaneously combust.

I forgot to mention I also am allergic to Christmas trees. From the time I was in elementary school, I used to always get a fever, sore throat and cough at Christmas time and it continued to haunt me as an adult.

One Christmas day, I was at sick at home while my wife and sons were gone to Christmas dinner with relatives. I was watching television and there happened to be a program about allergies to Christmas trees.

All of the symptoms were similar to mine, so I picked up our Christmas tree and carried it outside. When my wife got home a few hours later, she noticed our Christmas tree sitting in the driveway and inquired about it. I told her about what I had seen on TV and she was skeptical at first. When my health issues quickly disappeared, however, she understood.

Now, we avoid Christmas trees and I seldom get sick at Christmas time. Thank goodness for artificial Christmas trees.
I think I'm allergic to your posts, because every time I read one, I can't stop slamming my head into a wall.

Many people are shocked when they discover I am 62 because I look more like I'm in my mid fifties. Then after I talk at them for 5 minutes or so, they swear I'm in my late seventies. So 62 seems about right. There are days when I walk 18 holes, mow the lawn on foot and take the dog for a 3.5 mile walk. Ironically, at least to me, nobody seems to give two shits when I tell them about every menial aspect of my daily routine.

today and there was an opponent in our foursome who began smoking cigars on the first hole. He was taking it to both the tees and greens with him and it was taking its toll on me.

I finally approached him diplomatically, mentioned that I was allergic to cigar smoke and asked if he would mind keeping it on his golf cart. He very politely agreed to do so.

Unfortunately, it was windy outside and I couldn't seem to escape the cigar smoke. It finally gave me a headache and caused me to have some pain in my chest.

What my opponent didn't realize is that it offended me because a person with class would avoid smoking cigars around somebody allergic to them. That said, it motivated me to play with more intensity than ever and I beat him 4 and 3 in our match.

Even though only a handful of golfers at our club smoke while playing golf, I haven't been able to avoid it the past two weekends. Last Sunday, we had the interclub. Each group consisted of six golfers (two from each course) and the two golfers from the city course seldom were without lit cigarettes.

What ever happened to the days when smokers would politely ask people if they minded if they smoked around them? That is why I think smoking should be banned on golf courses. Golfers should smoke their golf balls, but not tobacco.
My dad quit smoking because I would have to leave the room when he started smoking. My eyes would water and I would start sneezing. Years later, the office I worked in was full of smokers. I woke up one morning, rubbed my eyes and blood started pouring out of one eye. The inside of my eyelids had developed large blisters from the tobacco smoke that collected on my contacts. The doctor said my allergy to tobacco smoke was as severe as he had ever seen.

My son has similar reactions to being in a room with smokers. Outside, or in well ventilated spaces, we are both fine. While I can't stand cigar smoke and don't like cigarette smoke, I would never comment on their cancer sticks unless they were blowing it deliberately into my face. People can't smoke at work, in stores, and at sporting events (except the Indy 500). Smokers should be allowed the outdoors to smoke in even if cigar smoke smells like what some step in.

Do you realize golf is the only sport that allows participants to do it on the professional level? If people aren't allowed to smoke in football and baseball stadiums, there is a reason for it. Second hand smoke is not good for people. I am allergic to fragrance, bleach and cigar smoke. When I am around them, my left eye burns, my head starts to ache and my chest begins to hurt. My doctor has confirmed I am allergic to those items.

Just like I would not drink around a recovering alcoholic, I don't think people should smoke cigars around people who are allergic to them.
It's pretty well known now in the medical community that second hand smoke is fairly harmless. That pushmower you always brag about spews out more harmful fumes than a dude in your foursome smoking a stogie.

I'm allergic to watching IU play football. It makes me wanna puke or something. Know what I mean gang?

It's pretty well known now in the medical community that second hand smoke is fairly harmless. That pushmower you always brag about spews out more harmful fumes than a dude in your foursome smoking a stogie.
Really? Please provide a link.

You must be one of those wimps who rides a cart while playing golf. Golf is a sport if you walk a hilly course like ours while playing it. When I am playing by myself on a weeknight, it barely takes me an hour to walk nine holes.

Many people are shocked when they discover I am 62 because I look more like I'm in my mid fifties. There are days when I walk 18 holes, mow the lawn on foot and take the dog for a 3.5 mile walk. Ironically, I'm not a bit tired afterward.

I work out at the gym in the winter and take 30 seconds between sets when I am doing upper body exercises. However, I don't like to lift weights during the golf season because I tend to get too tight.

Contrary to what you said, I have gotten paid because of golf. For several years, I wrote a weekly golf column in the spring, summer and fall for two different newspapers plus I have published two golf books. I also have made as much as $1,400.00 in an 18-hole golf outing.

A sport can be one's hobby. Just sayin...

McNutt....

g1344545798498673827.jpg

One of the first things most companies teach their sales people is not to wear fragrance on sales calls because buyers frequently are allergic to it. You would be surprised how many buyers thank me for not wearing it and say they will not do business with certain sales people because they wear it.

If you don't wear any fragrances, then how do you keep your mangina smelling so fresh?

Reactions: ovaltine
My dad quit smoking because I would have to leave the room when he started smoking. My eyes would water and I would start sneezing. Years later, the office I worked in was full of smokers. I woke up one morning, rubbed my eyes and blood started pouring out of one eye. The inside of my eyelids had developed large blisters from the tobacco smoke that collected on my contacts. The doctor said my allergy to tobacco smoke was as severe as he had ever seen.

My son has similar reactions to being in a room with smokers. Outside, or in well ventilated spaces, we are both fine. While I can't stand cigar smoke and don't like cigarette smoke, I would never comment on their cancer sticks unless they were blowing it deliberately into my face. People can't smoke at work, in stores, and at sporting events (except the Indy 500). Smokers should be allowed the outdoors to smoke in even if cigar smoke smells like what some step in.

Shenanigans ..

fwiw - tobacco smoke is not an allergen, it's an irritant. Actually it doesn't matter if it's tobacco, because the smoke causes the irritation. Anyone claiming to have a cigarette smoke allergy, that doesn't have a car exhaust allergy, or grill allergy, or bon fire allergy, is most likely full of shit, paranoid or just a huge pussy that's likes to bitch about stupid shit..

Reactions: comfortliving
A golf match is challenging enough without having to try to remain upwind from the cigar smoke while playing the round. We had a slow group in front of us and it was a long 4.5 hours. I really can't understand why a golfer can't go 4.5 hours without smoking a cigar when he knows a member of his foursome is allergic to the smoke. He must be addicted to cigars.

Did his cigar resemble something like this? Holy chit the way you describe it, there was no escape...for anyone.....ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! Truly amazing
images

fwiw - tobacco smoke is not an allergen, it's an irritant. Actually it doesn't matter if it's tobacco, because the smoke causes the irritation. Anyone claiming to have a cigarette smoke allergy, that doesn't have a car exhaust allergy, or grill allergy, or bon fire allergy, is most likely full of shit, paranoid or just a huge pussy that's likes to bitch about stupid shit..

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589970

The doctor called my condition an allergic reaction. The blisters and bleeding from my eyelids was a reaction to cigarette smoke. Being in Kensucky, it was something he had seen before. If it was simply an irritant, others would have been susceptible to the same condition. It doesn't matter if it was the tobacco or something commonly added to cigarettes that caused the allergic reaction. Without cigarette smoke, I would not have had blood running down my face. My eyes never itched too bad and I assumed I had outgrown my earlier sensitivity to cigarette smoke since I had no other issues at work.

Fireplaces, campfires, burning leaves and other forms of smoke never had the same effect when I was a kid.

My son used to start wheezing and complained his throat was closing up when he was in a room of smokers. I guess he inherited my sensitivity. He seems to have outgrown it as well, but it was helpful in keeping him from smoking.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589970

The doctor called my condition an allergic reaction. The blisters and bleeding from my eyelids was a reaction to cigarette smoke. Being in Kensucky, it was something he had seen before. If it was simply an irritant, others would have been susceptible to the same condition. It doesn't matter if it was the tobacco or something commonly added to cigarettes that caused the allergic reaction. Without cigarette smoke, I would not have had blood running down my face. My eyes never itched too bad and I assumed I had outgrown my earlier sensitivity to cigarette smoke since I had no other issues at work.

Fireplaces, campfires, burning leaves and other forms of smoke never had the same effect when I was a kid.

My son used to start wheezing and complained his throat was closing up when he was in a room of smokers. I guess he inherited my sensitivity. He seems to have outgrown it as well, but it was helpful in keeping him from smoking.

You didn't have an allergic response, you have hypersensitivity, but that doesn't mean you're allergic, because tobacco smoke is not an allergen.

Wood smoke also bothers me. Every pussy probably seems huge to you. vbg

You didn't have an allergic response, you have hypersensitivity, but that doesn't mean you're allergic, because tobacco smoke is not an allergen.
The point is, some people aren't big pussies. Some have real issues with tobacco smoke. Many, including my doctor, use the term tobacco allergy. The symptoms are more easily described as an allergy

Golf better meets the definition of "game" than "sport," does not require rigorous physical activity, and can be played professionally by people who are overweight, injured, or non-athletic. Golf is a game or leisure activity.

Yeah, this guy looks like a world class "athlete"

article-0-01F8B81000000578-857_634x415.jpg

I made money shooting trap too, but that doesn't make me a professional trap shooter. Golf requires skill, but is hardly a "sport"

Golf better meets the definition of "game" than "sport," does not require rigorous physical activity, and can be played professionally by people who are overweight, injured, or non-athletic. Golf is a game or leisure activity.

I made money shooting trap too, but that doesn't make me a professional trap shooter. Golf requires skill, but is hardly a "sport"

Plenty of fat boys have played baseball too, often with a big wad of chew in their mouth. Is that not a sport either?

The way that red sweater is flaring up over his belly makes me wonder if he can coach basketball?

While some of that is certainly true, you clearly haven't been to a Tour event lately.

The vast majority of the guys out there now are in good shape... And are clearly athletic.

So chasing a little white ball around a big manicured lawn is more difficult than driving a 2000lb steel coffin going 200 MPH in bumper to bumper traffic...yeah sure

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT