ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Favored in Assembly Hall

Nah. I think IU wins tomorrow.

Astonishingly bad was watching Race and Romeo give up on a fastbreak at home to Nebraska when they were down about 13.

Astonishingly bad was scoring 46 at home while shooting 27% against Michigan (also Romeo's year).

Astonishingly bad was losing back to back home games to Northeastern and Lipscomb in the Crean era.

Astonishingly bad was finding out that Stanford Robinson changed handedness in the off season to try to improve his shooting.

Astonishingly bad was finding out that cleaning out the locker room from Kelvin Sampson's players meant finding drug paraphernalia.

Astonishingly bad was learning that Devin Davis was nearly killed by his own teammate in a car accident- or that Hanner Perea was caught with alcohol in a car...for a 2nd time, this time with freshmen players in the car.

There are a lot of levels. This IU team is not as bad as people have said. I'm not enjoying the losing, but we've certainly seen worse.

Astonishingly bad was watching Race and Romeo give up on a fastbreak at home to Nebraska when they were down about 13.

Astonishingly bad was scoring 46 at home while shooting 27% against Michigan (also Romeo's year).

Astonishingly bad was losing back to back home games to Northeastern and Lipscomb in the Crean era.

Astonishingly bad was finding out that Stanford Robinson changed handedness in the off season to try to improve his shooting.

Astonishingly bad was finding out that cleaning out the locker room from Kelvin Sampson's players meant finding drug paraphernalia.

Astonishingly bad was learning that Devin Davis was nearly killed by his own teammate in a car accident- or that Hanner Perea was caught with alcohol in a car...for a 2nd time, this time with freshmen players in the car.

There are a lot of levels. This IU team is not as bad as people have said. I'm not enjoying the losing, but we've certainly seen worse.
Thank you for that perspective and reminder of the doldrums this program has been in. I have lived in the Raleigh area for nearly 7 years. My daughter is a sophomore at UNC chapel hill. I talked smack last year at an office meeting to the group saying IU would whip UNC during the ACC challenge. This upset the natives and they began coming after me and truth be told, they were right to do so. They basically said "what has IU done in the last 30 years"? They are irrelevant. UNC goes to the FF about every 4-5 years. They win nat'l champs consistently. I told them this season be wary losing a long time winning coach like Roy. It's easy to take that for granted. Yet, the replacement coach takes the team to the championship in his first year. Year 2, misses the tourney. Year three, they are ranked #3 in the country and playing very solid basketball. This on top of losing a high caliber producing 2 guard in caleb love to the portal. Duke is good and won't miss a beat after losing their HOF coach. IU is stuck and truthfully, we are completely living in the past and are basically what are record says we are and have been for 8 out of the past 10 years. A middle of the road big ten team who at struggles to not be on the bubble come selection sunday. We've never won a big ten tourney championship and only played in the final once. Ever. It's sobering and the truth hurts. But again, the truth is we are a program living in the past and with each passing year, the past fades away and the current becomes the norm. I hate typing this but it's freaking sad but true!

Thank you for that perspective and reminder of the doldrums this program has been in. I have lived in the Raleigh area for nearly 7 years. My daughter is a sophomore at UNC chapel hill. I talked smack last year at an office meeting to the group saying IU would whip UNC during the ACC challenge. This upset the natives and they began coming after me and truth be told, they were right to do so. They basically said "what has IU done in the last 30 years"? They are irrelevant. UNC goes to the FF about every 4-5 years. They win nat'l champs consistently. I told them this season be wary losing a long time winning coach like Roy. It's easy to take that for granted. Yet, the replacement coach takes the team to the championship in his first year. Year 2, misses the tourney. Year three, they are ranked #3 in the country and playing very solid basketball. This on top of losing a high caliber producing 2 guard in caleb love to the portal. Duke is good and won't miss a beat after losing their HOF coach. IU is stuck and truthfully, we are completely living in the past and are basically what are record says we are and have been for 8 out of the past 10 years. A middle of the road big ten team who at struggles to not be on the bubble come selection sunday. We've never won a big ten tourney championship and only played in the final once. Ever. It's sobering and the truth hurts. But again, the truth is we are a program living in the past and with each passing year, the past fades away and the current becomes the norm. I hate typing this but it's freaking sad but true!
Just tell them IU regularly hands them their ass in head to head matchups, especially recently.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I'm waiting on the status of Ware before firing on the Hoosiers. He plays a critical role when it comes to protecting the rim, and that's a big loss when facing a team like Iowa that funnels the ball inside. If he gives it a go, play Indiana up to -2.

Woodson is "hopeful" that Ware returns this week. If he's not a go, I would be cautious, but I do still lean towards IU.

Pick: Indiana PK (if Kel'el Ware Plays) Play to -2 | Lean IU if Out

We are astonishingly bad for the NIL era. Most NIL in the conference (top-5 or so nationally) and we’re about a pick ‘em vs a bad Iowa team at home.

We also have the largest bball budget of any athletic dept in the B1G. And then the other stuff — best home court and very good facilities. And we’re 90+ on the various rankings.

A lot of our fans don’t realize we are one of the rich programs and we can spend with the best of them. But we waste it all and come up with badly constructed teams that aren’t coached well.

This list could be 3x longer, but I know you only have so much time.

For the recent era, I’d add Crean’s first team losing to Straight No Chaser in that Hoosier Hysteria scrimmage lol.

Congrats. I'd not have thought you could make me feel depressed and pick IU to win! Well done?

Can anyone give me a review on Iowa? My fear is can we score enough to beat them? Perkins and Sandfort seem solid, but they've generally been role and not featured players. We can surely beat these guys, can't we? I can't take watching Fran's smug ass come in here and beat us.

Last edited:

For sure it has been bad most of the time since RMK but my belief, my hope is that with the right coach, IU can once again be considered elite. Dolson missed (IMO) with Woodson but I believe he got the football hire right. I bet he learned a lot with that search and I am fairly confident he will conduct the same kind of search for the next Bball coach. The biggest question is when that search will happen. Woodson might get another year but I can't see the results next year being good enough to retain him. I just hope he retires and Dolson hits a HR.

This is not a good 3 pt shooting team for Iowa. Other than Sanford (who is streaky like Bohannon was), there’s no serious perimeter shooting threat. Dix is okay but not consistent.

Iowa still pushes the temp and runs a lot of motion. They still score but mostly mid range and at the rim. Just not as explosive as years past.

Perkins is always a threat to drive and score/dish. They have 3 really solid frosh and a transfer who has a good mid range game. Freeman is the best of the frosh and a load upfront. He can also step outside a little bit. May develop into a Garza type eventually.

IU should win at home. Iowa struggles on the road. They did just beat a bad Michigan team in Ann Arbor but so has everybody. This Hawkeyes team is young and not as talented as years past. They have a decent foundation but not a tourney team this year. If IU limits turnovers and gets even a handful of 3s to fall they should be fine. I’d anticipate a 78-69 type game.

Yeah I don't see IU losing this one. No defense for Iowa, as usual, and they just aren't as good as the last few teams.

Even without Ware we should be fine. The biggest concern would be our penchant for giving up a lot of open 3s
I think this is true of all of our games. If the other team hits the large number of open threes IU is going to allow, IU will lose. If the other team misses their threes, IU wins.

It's pretty easy math at this point because you just know that the opponent is getting those open 3pt looks.

Can anyone give me a review on Iowa? My fear is can we score enough to beat them? Perkins and Sandfort seem solid, but they've generally been role and not featured players. We can surely beat these guys, can't we? I can't take watching Fran's smug ass come in here and beat us.
Dix is the guy who could kill us.

That’s a helluva list. I’ve tried to forget all those things and prefer to recall the glory days of RMK.

Watched Houston beat a fired up Texas team last night at Texas. Kept wondering why Sampson hasn’t been in any kind of trouble since getting bounced here. His players don’t really look like clean cut college kids, but damn do they play hard. And rebound like it matters. Tried to imagine any of our bigs ever getting a single rebound against them.

We are astonishingly bad for the NIL era. Most NIL in the conference (top-5 or so nationally) and we’re about a pick ‘em vs a bad Iowa team at home.

We also have the largest bball budget of any athletic dept in the B1G. And then the other stuff — best home court and very good facilities. And we’re 90+ on the various rankings.

A lot of our fans don’t realize we are one of the rich programs and we can spend with the best of them. But we waste it all and come up with badly constructed teams that aren’t coached well.
Once we get back to procuring commits from Hoosier HS ballers with high BB IQ we'll get closer to the glory of the past. PUkes template by a mediocre HC is all the proof I need to understand building a roster.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I think this is true of all of our games. If the other team hits the large number of open threes IU is going to allow, IU will lose. If the other team misses their threes, IU wins.

It's pretty easy math at this point because you just know that the opponent is getting those open 3pt looks.
We held Illinois to 30% on threes (25% in the second half), their season average is 34% None of their usual perimeter shooters hit very well. I thought the perimeter defense looked better than what we usually do, didn't seem to leave shooters wide open so much with over-helping.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
This is not a good 3 pt shooting team for Iowa. Other than Sanford (who is streaky like Bohannon was), there’s no serious perimeter shooting threat. Dix is okay but not consistent.

Iowa still pushes the temp and runs a lot of motion. They still score but mostly mid range and at the rim. Just not as explosive as years past.

Perkins is always a threat to drive and score/dish. They have 3 really solid frosh and a transfer who has a good mid range game. Freeman is the best of the frosh and a load upfront. He can also step outside a little bit. May develop into a Garza type eventually.

IU should win at home. Iowa struggles on the road. They did just beat a bad Michigan team in Ann Arbor but so has everybody. This Hawkeyes team is young and not as talented as years past. They have a decent foundation but not a tourney team this year. If IU limits turnovers and gets even a handful of 3s to fall they should be fine. I’d anticipate a 78-69 type game.
If Ware doesn't play we'll need plenty of Sparks banging on Freeman. Jr. against a Frosh I like. If he'd block out with religion he could be a big help every game.

We held Illinois to 30% on threes (25% in the second half), their season average is 34% None of their usual perimeter shooters hit very well. I thought the perimeter defense looked better than what we usually do, didn't seem to leave shooters wide open so much with over-helping.

I think that had as much to do with Illinois not really running an offense. A lot of it was just Shannon trying to get his.

Iowa does actually run an offense

Both Iowa and PSU are must win games, and although Woodson has not over-performed, his teams have won with their backs against the wall. But take this view with a grain of salt because I am a Woodson sunshine pumper.

Iowa has the 5th best Net(56) in the BT, if they want to have a chance of going to the dance they cannot afford to lose to IU with a Net of 96! Their bubble would go POP!

Once we get back to procuring commits from Hoosier HS ballers with high BB IQ we'll get closer to the glory of the past. PUkes template by a mediocre HC is all the proof I need to understand building a roster.
Drives me crazy we don’t leverage the bball talent Indiana produces and use our NIL to mix in the right high-end national talent. Such a waste.

A review? Yeah, they are the kind of team that will drain threes all night against us.

I had IU wins by 6-10 at +425. Leal made both free throws and D's up on Perkins to drag me along to the dub. Lolz.

That’s a helluva list. I’ve tried to forget all those things and prefer to recall the glory days of RMK.

Watched Houston beat a fired up Texas team last night at Texas. Kept wondering why Sampson hasn’t been in any kind of trouble since getting bounced here. His players don’t really look like clean cut college kids, but damn do they play hard. And rebound like it matters. Tried to imagine any of our bigs ever getting a single rebound against them.
That rebounding was ferocious. Down the stretch they were like bulldogs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT