ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read (spoiler: Purdue still not #1!)

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Dog days of the off-season, but I guess at least football is heating up. This article was a good read, and reminded me of teams and seasons that had expectations (for other programs) and they just sort of fizzled. PU last season makes the list, coming in at #3 behind last season's preseason #1: Tarheels! And, before you think I enjoyed it just because it spotlighted a couple teams I don't like, the only reason we're not on that list is because we haven't been relevant for most of the last 25 years. Gotta have high expectations before they can be dashed! Here's to hoping we have more seasons with high expectations ahead!

Reactions: Cavanagh
We are right on the cusp of being overrated. Probably next year when we have a top 3 class and some studs stay.

We need a second weekend appearance this year. Just stay healthy and overachieve for once damnit.
Woodson would have built a beast this season had JHS stayed for a second year. But glad he blew up and drafted in round 1.

Totally agree w/ UNC at #1; PU should have been #2. They lost to a 17 seed and UVA redeemed themselves somewhat one year later.

Reactions: kkott
Woodson would have built a beast this season had JHS stayed for a second year. But glad he blew up and drafted in round 1.
I don't know that I see JHS being that big a difference maker for this team. Would certainly give us some backcourt depth, but I also thought XJ struggled with finding his role when playing with JHS, so who knows if that might've continued. But, we lost our very best player from last years squad and even with the adds, we're not even in most preseason top 25-30. I guess when I think of a "beast" team, I'm thinking winning the conference and make at least an E8, if not F4. Do you see JHS added to this roster as getting us to that level?

I don't know that I see JHS being that big a difference maker for this team. Would certainly give us some backcourt depth, but I also thought XJ struggled with finding his role when playing with JHS, so who knows if that might've continued. But, we lost our very best player from last years squad and even with the adds, we're not even in most preseason top 25-30. I guess when I think of a "beast" team, I'm thinking winning the conference and make at least an E8, if not F4. Do you see JHS added to this roster as getting us to that level?
Yes, I could see with JHS improvement over the summer on this team, yes IU would have been ready to take names. He'd be B1G first team, I think atleast.

Yes, I could see with JHS improvement over the summer on this team, yes IU would have been ready to take names. He'd be B1G first team, I think atleast.
didn't really answer the questions though. You think just with his return we'd now be ranked; and how high? You think we'd challenge to win the B10, get a 1 or 2 seed and get to an Elite 8? That to me is a "beast" type season, and I'm trying to understand what your definition is of that? I just don't think he'd have made that big a difference. I do think we're under ranked and being overlooked, but I don't think adding him gets us to those type of milestones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT