ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting look back at B1G preseason media poll

BaxterIU

Senior
Nov 29, 2012
League champ Wisconsin was predicted to finish 10th, three places behind the Hoosiers.
Johnny Davis didn't finish in the top 12 vote getters for the predicted All-B1G team.
And unfortunately the media was, however, pretty close to predicting IU's finish in the standings.

Big Ten Preseason Men's Basketball Media Poll
1. Michigan (13) - 373 pts
2. Purdue (12) - 373
3. Illinois (3) - 320
4. Ohio State - 316
5. Maryland - 269
6. Michigan State - 262
7. Indiana - 219
8. Rutgers - 208
9. Iowa - 150
10. Wisconsin - 149
11. Nebraska - 105
12t. Northwestern - 81
12t. Penn State - 81
14. Minnesota - 34

Preseason Player of the Year
Kofi Cockburn, Illinois - 11
Jaden Ivey, Purdue - 5
E.J. Liddell, Ohio State - 4
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan - 3
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana - 3
Trevion Williams, Purdue - 2

Preseason Freshman of the Year
Caleb Houstan, Michigan - 20
Max Christie, Michigan State - 7
Bryce McGowens, Nebraska - 1

Preseason First Team All-Big Ten
Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (27)
E.J. Liddell, Ohio State (26)
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (25)
Jaden Ivey, Purdue (21)
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (20)

Also Receiving Votes
Trevion Williams, Purdue (10); Eric Ayala, Maryland (4); Andre Curbelo, Illinois (2); DeVante' Jones, Michigan (2); Geo Baker, Rutgers (1); Ron Harper Jr., Rutgers (1); Caleb Houstan, Michigan (1)

Reactions: Indymoon and mk24
I can't recall players making the leap that Davis and the kid from Iowa did in one year. to have 2 in one year is amazing. Could you imagine Galloway averaging 22 a game this year would have been a similar progression

Reactions: BaxterIU
I can't recall players making the leap that Davis and the kid from Iowa did in one year. to have 2 in one year is amazing. Could you imagine Galloway averaging 22 a game this year would have been a similar progression
The leap is insane.

Frank Kaminsky went 1.8, 4.2, 13.9 and 18.8 ppg as a SR. I thought that was impressive. Davis is wasting no time.

I could see future stud potential in Murray last year. He was hidden behind big Garza and Wieskamp, even little Bo-peep. But Davis' trajectory this year is just nuts. They'll both be earning big paychecks in a few months.

only player I can ever remember coming out of nowhere for us was Coverdale, but he wasnt close to that level

only player I can ever remember coming out of nowhere for us was Coverdale, but he wasnt close to that level

Oladipo had a pretty crazy 2 season trajectory. Probably would have been even more impressive except for the talent around him meant he got less touches. Swap Jr Oladipo for Davis on Wisconsin's roster this year, and Oladipo is putting up similar numbers.

Also, OG gets an honorable mention, and would have been on that level had it not been for the injury

Reactions: Hoosier in Mad Town
Oladipo had a pretty crazy 2 season trajectory. Probably would have been even more impressive except for the talent around him meant he got less touches. Swap Jr Oladipo for Davis on Wisconsin's roster this year, and Oladipo is putting up similar numbers.

Also, OG gets an honorable mention, and would have been on that level had it not been for the injury
yeah, Og is a good example, seems like being a freshman on a really good team seems to be the key

Media projections or rankings are a joke. You have clowns like Rabjohns who are allowed to vote in those. The coach ones are the ones that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT