ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Hypothetical

GR8IUFAN

Benchwarmer
May 29, 2021
Was just asked by an ND fan of all people.

Which would you rather have.

1- IUBB to final 4 with no guarantee after that, or

2- IUFB wins national championship.

I don't know how to make this a poll.

Football

Was just asked by an ND fan of all people.

Which would you rather have.

1- IUBB to final 4 with no guarantee after that, or

2- IUFB wins national championship.

I don't know how to make this a poll.

Football
Not even close. A football natty would make me way happier than a bball final 4 or even bball national championship (although that would be amazing too!). Beyond personal feelings, the impact a football natty would have on the school for years to come far outweighs anything basketball can do.

Not even close. A football natty would make me way happier than a bball final 4 or even bball national championship (although that would be amazing too!). Beyond personal feelings, the impact a football natty would have on the school for years to come far outweighs anything basketball can do.

Yes, the more interesting question is BB NC v. FB NC.

The more obvious answer would be, as you state, FB.

For one thing, an IU NC in football would be the most unlikely of any program win since WW2. Dating back before the BCS, which began in '98, there were some claimed championships which look odd today: '52 MSU (1st for MSU); '53 Maryland; '54 UCLA; '58 Iowa; '59 Syracuse; '60 MN and Ole Miss; '64 Arkansas; '76 Pitt; '81 Clemson (1st); '83 Miami (1st); '84 BYU; '90 Colorado & GT; '91 Washington. With the BCS & playoff systems came more clarity and only iconic programs win now. So........an IU football NC would certainly be historic.

But long-term effect?? How long has it been since anyone thought about about Maryland, GT, Syracuse, and Colorado as NC contenders? Similarly, the demographics are just not on IU's side in the long-run. If we DID win a NC in, say '28, would it shock anyone if we were back in the bottom 8 BT programs in '35?

OTOH, it's been 37 years since we won a BB NC........forever, as far as 50% of the population is concerned. BUT, if we DID win another, we'd be back in the top 6 college BB programs in people's minds right away.

CFB is so much bigger than CBB, a CFB title would technically be best for IU.

But it’s down to preference and obviously a hypothetical.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yes, the more interesting question is BB NC v. FB NC.

The more obvious answer would be, as you state, FB.

For one thing, an IU NC in football would be the most unlikely of any program win since WW2. Dating back before the BCS, which began in '98, there were some claimed championships which look odd today: '52 MSU (1st for MSU); '53 Maryland; '54 UCLA; '58 Iowa; '59 Syracuse; '60 MN and Ole Miss; '64 Arkansas; '76 Pitt; '81 Clemson (1st); '83 Miami (1st); '84 BYU; '90 Colorado & GT; '91 Washington. With the BCS & playoff systems came more clarity and only iconic programs win now. So........an IU football NC would certainly be historic.

But long-term effect?? How long has it been since anyone thought about about Maryland, GT, Syracuse, and Colorado as NC contenders? Similarly, the demographics are just not on IU's side in the long-run. If we DID win a NC in, say '28, would it shock anyone if we were back in the bottom 8 BT programs in '35?

OTOH, it's been 37 years since we won a BB NC........forever, as far as 50% of the population is concerned. BUT, if we DID win another, we'd be back in the top 6 college BB programs in people's minds right away.
I want to confidently say a Football Natty over a BBall Natty. But I'm not sure my emotions would agree with that in the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT