ADVERTISEMENT

Indy Eleven

Not funny, Univee2. NOT FUNNY.

Why hasn't this thread been locked down or merged with the soccer thread, by the way?
Hey, I know you love the Cubbies. Who doesn’t? Most everyone beats them.

Seriously. They have the funds, right? And look at who used to be on that team.

MLB has to come up with a different system. It’s not sustainable when, as Marvin so aptly put it about small market clubs being the de facto farm system for a handful of the rich clubs, you know going into a season your team is much more likely to lose 100 games than win 90.

Hey, I know you love the Cubbies. Who doesn’t? Most everyone beats them.

Seriously. They have the funds, right? And look at who used to be on that team.

MLB has to come up with a different system. It’s not sustainable when, as Marvin so aptly put it about small market clubs being the de facto farm system for a handful of the rich clubs, you know going into a season your team is much more likely to lose 100 games than win 90.
This idea will never come to pass, but:

I'd like to see baseball (or some league) that was run like a govt entity, with the local citizens voting in the GM every 4 years. Could also vote to handle how much to put into a stadium. Vote on ticket prices, lotteries for allocation, etc. (or maybe those are stances for the GM/BOD to take).

Salary cap would be necessary for competition, as well.

Also love the idea of relegation and opening up the league so you could have teams from Chattanooga have a shot at playing the Yankees.

Reactions: Univee2
This idea will never come to pass, but:

I'd like to see baseball (or some league) that was run like a govt entity, with the local citizens voting in the GM every 4 years. Could also vote to handle how much to put into a stadium. Vote on ticket prices, lotteries for allocation, etc. (or maybe those are stances for the GM/BOD to take).

Salary cap would be necessary for competition, as well.

Also love the idea of relegation and opening up the league so you could have teams from Chattanooga have a shot at playing the Yankees.
I get the shivers when I see “govt entity.” But, good thoughts, nevertheless.

It will take a total shift in structure. Something along the lines of the NFL, maybe.

But, baseball (well, most sports) is pricing out young families. And, with the future likelihood of more streaming, more fans are going to be priced out of watching on television. I had the Reds-Dodgers game on today, to see Kershaw and to see how these two “hot” phenoms would fare. But I wouldn’t have paid to stream it.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I had the Reds-Dodgers game on today, to see Kershaw and to see how these two “hot” phenoms would fare. But I wouldn’t have paid to stream it.
Would you be more inclined to pay, say $6-$9 a month if you had to in order to watch the Reds games right now? I get the sense that you're not a diehard Reds fan, but is there a point when even you would be tempted?

Speaking of the Reds, I let out a very audible OMG when I saw the play below happen yesterday. Even the crowd in Houston was stunned by what Elly De La Cruz pulled off. And think about this - as much notoriety and excitement EDLC has created since being called up, as of today he would likely finish 3rd or 4th in rookie of the year voting - for the Reds. I am trying to temper my excitement, but it's getting harder by the day. Too bad the weather is going to suck this week, as I think they could draw 25K++ every game. Trivia question for you: Riverfront held 52,952 for baseball. What do you think is the Reds' attendance record (ave/game)? It was the 1976 season.
32,466 I thought for sure it was at least 40K

Would you be more inclined to pay, say $6-$9 a month if you had to in order to watch the Reds games right now? I get the sense that you're not a diehard Reds fan, but is there a point when even you would be tempted?

Speaking of the Reds, I let out a very audible OMG when I saw the play below happen yesterday. Even the crowd in Houston was stunned by what Elly De La Cruz pulled off. And think about this - as much notoriety and excitement EDLC has created since being called up, as of today he would likely finish 3rd or 4th in rookie of the year voting - for the Reds. I am trying to temper my excitement, but it's getting harder by the day. Too bad the weather is going to suck this week, as I think they could draw 25K++ every game. Trivia question for you: Riverfront held 52,952 for baseball. What do you think is the Reds' attendance record (ave/game)? It was the 1976 season.

And if he hadn't dove he would have easily beaten it. I don't think I have ever seen a simple G3 be a single before in the majors.

Reactions: Univee2

Would you pay the apple sub for just mls

Would you pay the apple sub for just mls
I am. Well, I already had the Apple TV sub, and then I ponied up the $99 for the MLS Season Pass the first week of the season. I watched the second half of one Crew game and all of the FCC games we didn't go to in person.

I am. Well, I already had the Apple TV sub, and then I ponied up the $99 for the MLS Season Pass the first week of the season. I watched the second half of one Crew game and all of the FCC games we didn't go to in person.
I would be embarrassed to admit how much our house (for mostly me) spends on TV subscriptions per month. What's funny is my oldest moves to Memphis tomorrow for his first post-college job. He refuses to pay for any TV service at his apartment (what happened to the old days when apartments would typically include basic cable TV service?).

Reactions: larsIU
I would be embarrassed to admit how much our house (for mostly me) spends on TV subscriptions per month. What's funny is my oldest moves to Memphis tomorrow for his first post-college job. He refuses to pay for any TV service at his apartment (what happened to the old days when apartments would typically include basic cable TV service?).
I pay north of $200. Way more than the old direct tv days. That said for your core streaming direct tv streaming blows the competition away: fubo, Hulu live, YouTubetv etc. Direct streaming has everything

Reactions: Noodle and larsIU

Looked at average attendance numbers going all the way back. After that 1976 number look how quickly they fell to less than half that number in the early 80s.

De La Cruz is unique. The power and the speed. Mantle 2.0 (Young, pre-injury). BUT, given the economics of Baseball, he’ll be in New York in a few years.

You’re correct in that I’m not a die-hard Reds fan. The whole re-build philosophy that seems never-ending turns me off. Back in the day, go get Griffey, Jr. Today, put guys out there who should never see a pitch beyond Triple-A. Early in the season, while flipping around, came upon the Reds and had very little idea who some of the players were, particularly the pitching staff. Time will tell if this recent crop will succeed, but I can see them bringing back Votto and ruining what seems to be working.

I wouldn’t pay a few bucks a month to see them. BUT I bet it’s coming. Bally is having difficulties and I wouldn’t be surprised if this doesn’t turn out to be the future.

I find the College World Series to be MUCH more entertaining. More emotion; more hitting; more mistakes.

Been more of a Dodgers fan, but with Bellinger and Seager moving on even that’s harder. MLB needs to do something, and soon, to equalize the sport - games are too expensive for young families and the competitive balance is too subject to money and the sport will go to streaming, which will be its death - or it will fall below s*****.

or it will fall below s*****.
Yes, yes. Let it wash over you. The inevitability of it all.

7reC0f.gif

• Haha
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I don't think I have ever seen someone go from first to third that fast. 10.8 seconds, covering a distance of 90+ yards. Eric Davis was fast. But not that fast. Then to hit a 458 foot bomb that was close to taking a swim in the Ohio River? Crazy.

He's a lot like Billy Hamilton - if Billy were 5 inches taller, weighed 50 pounds more, could hit, could play infield, and had a cannon for an arm (De La Cruz has throws this year >100 mph). And he's 21 years old.

His steal of 3rd/home today was incredible, I wonder when he will stop amazing me. Give him the biggest contract the Reds can afford today and hope that keeps him a few extra years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT