ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana to Name Nick Sheridan Offensive Coordinator

Unfortunately he had to get it right the last time. We have very little margin for error and a season like this we could ill afford. We can still turn it around but this just makes it harder. Hopefully he realizes now that we need a more proven commodity.
Here's the problem. Two years ago when he promoted Sheridan, we were coming off an 8-5 season, a middle tier bowl game, and some national buzz. I've got to think CTA had options. This year we're coming off a shitshow. It's not like Allen's phone is going to be lighting up with texts and voicemails from proven OCs.

Sheridan's base pay is $450k. DeBoer's was $800k. Warren's is $700k. As the OC job will now be perceived as a significant rebuild, IU may have to nearly double the kind of money DeBoer and Warren were/are making to entice a quality, experienced, proven offensive coordinator. The question is are they willing to make that kind of a financial commitment for a coordinator when they've never approached that level before. Should be interesting.

The link below shows what some top assistants (primarily coordinators) are making.

Let's call a spade a spade. This is an enormous gamble by Coach Allen. I'm scratching my head as to why he would take this chance. Of course, if it works out, he looks like a genius. But if it doesn't, he opens himself up to fair criticism for not going outside the program, particularly at a time (as you've noted) when the OC position at Indiana is presumably desirable and in demand. Allen's own legacy at IU hinges largely on this decision.

The argument that "there is a certain amount of risk in virtually all hires" doesn't fly with me. The risk is mitigated when you hire someone with a record of success in the position. Sheridan's never done this before and it's anyone's guess as to whether he will succeed.

That said, I wish him the best and I hope that Allen hit it out of the park with this promotion.

the gamble didn’t pay off. What’s crazy to me is the stated goal at the time which was continuity and a simile offense. Sheridan might be a great guy but he doesn’t seem to have the experience/instincts/whatever required to effectively run an offense with any semblance of a scheme…the offense feels like a collection of plays that, quite frankly, operate similar to a teenager playing madden.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I LOVED what Kalen D did this year, wish he wasn't leaving, etc. But his first move as HC was hiring Inge as DC. I like Inge personally a lot, seems like great guy, but not sure his resume as ST coach warranted that job. Yes he has rep as an awesome recruiter, but Spec Teams 2 year results were sub-par I'm afraid. Sometimes people can be a great coach, but not great administrator or judge of talent?

Allen hit home runs with S/C Ballou and OC DeBoer. Jury still out to me on his comfortable with/friend hires: DeBord, Womack, Hiller, and now Sheridan.
But of all of those 4, I'm actually kind of bullish on Sheridan. He was a walk on QB at UM, had to know the playbook well and be scrappy. His dad's been an NFL coach. He did great job with Vols QB. Last year he learned on job as TE coach and would say aced that test (see Hendershot). And did you see the rap song he did to the team meeting this year? Guys got chrisma too!

A proven hire would have been safer as people were spoiled by DeBoer success. But if you have a hotshot smart young coach you've seen and know, we're in an era of 35 yr old NFL Head Coaches, so what's so bad of a 31 yr old OC in college I guess right? I'm 1000% pulling for him to do well and think he's going to work hard as let's be honest, does anyone think he wants to blow this amazing opportunity? And there is a good nucleus coming back. He could be "boy wonder" after next season if he crushes it!
Interesting to read my own post at the time. I was probably less skeptical and more trusting of Coach Allen and wanting to believe Sheridan was the hot young coach.

But I admit a new critique I have of Coach Allen (who I do still back fully) is his hiring people he knows vs possibly going for the best hire possible.

if you have great self confidence you hire the best people possible and maybe even more experienced than you. That wasn’t the case with Sheridan and now it’s looking like the big risk it was (especially following DeBoer.)

Dolson should budget $800K - $1M for a serious OC and also a proven OL coach. IU can’t revert back to the pitiful days as this team is better than this season. A legit offense and we beat Cinci and MSU- 2 top 10 teams. That’s why you don’t risk it on inexperienced guys at B10 level!

the gamble didn’t pay off. What’s crazy to me is the stated goal at the time which was continuity and a simile offense. Sheridan might be a great guy but he doesn’t seem to have the experience/instincts/whatever required to effectively run an offense with any semblance of a scheme…the offense feels like a collection of plays that, quite frankly, operate similar to a teenager playing madden.

With Sheridan I think it's been more a perfect storm of injuries, the fruits of poor OL Recruiting..., along with a surprising lack of leadership on the Offensive side of the ball... He's in charge though so he should have anticipated everything but the injuries...

He'll land on his feet somewhere as a QB or a TE coach and it wouldn't surprise me to hear his name doing well somewhere in the MAC a few years down the line...

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
He (Sheridan) is in over his head.

With Sheridan I think it's been more a perfect storm of injuries, the fruits of poor OL Recruiting..., along with a surprising lack of leadership on the Offensive side of the ball... He's in charge though so he should have anticipated everything but the injuries...

He'll land on his feet somewhere as a QB or a TE coach and it wouldn't surprise me to hear his name doing well somewhere in the MAC a few years down the line...
It would surprise the shit out of me. He's terrible

Reactions: Nieman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT