ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana native Scott Rolen in HOF nt

Any relation to SCOTT Rolen? That Rolen lived around the corner when he was with the Reds. Got to know his bride as their Lab liked to escape and explore the neighborhood.
Are you sayin that his dog nocked up yours, or you knocked up his bride? I got messed up in the middle there some how.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Grew up with Scott. Good, humble dude. Wish he’d played basketball in college before going pro, he was phenomenal. He & Michael Lewis were teammates for one season, & we didn’t even make it out of sectional. Scotty had 47, was 11 of 17 from 3, & we still lost, just a great athlete who’s good at everything he does. Ought to see him hit a golf ball….

Played baseball and basketball against him in high school! Beast in high school! Happy for him.

Grew up with Scott. Good, humble dude. Wish he’d played basketball in college before going pro, he was phenomenal. He & Michael Lewis were teammates for one season, & we didn’t even make it out of sectional. Scotty had 47, was 11 of 17 from 3, & we still lost, just a great athlete who’s good at everything he does. Ought to see him hit a golf ball….
Forest Park wasn’t it?

Got to know his bride

little-too-much-information-saturday-night-live.gif

Man, what is going on with the hall?

When I think of Scott Rolen, hall of fame is not what pops into my head. How he gets in before Wagner, Helton Andrew Jones.

It's a damn shame that McGriff had to be voted in by the veterans committee, which further shows the bias that the voting has for the hall. Absolutely no way Mcgriff should have had to go to the veterans committee while Rolen got over 75% of the vote.

Reactions: sluggo69
Well if Santo is in the Hall another 3B with less than impeccable credentials shouldn't cause too much angst.

When I think of Scott Rolen, hall of fame is not what pops into my head. How he gets in before Wagner, Helton Andrew Jones.

It's a damn shame that McGriff had to be voted in by the veterans committee, which further shows the bias that the voting has for the hall. Absolutely no way Mcgriff should have had to go to the veterans committee while Rolen got over 75% of the vote.
Baseball is more than hitting. That’s how.

Would appreciate @Univee2 @CO. Hoosier @Marvin the Martian and others thoughts as I haven’t followed baseball since the late 2000s, but looking at the stats

McGriff has better all time numbers, but a much lower WAR, no gold gloves vs Rolens eight, and fewer all star game appearances (how you are judged vs active peers).

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Would appreciate @Univee2 @CO. Hoosier @Marvin the Martian and others thoughts as I haven’t followed baseball since the late 2000s, but looking at the stats

McGriff has better all time numbers, but a much lower WAR, no gold gloves vs Rolens eight, and fewer all star game appearances (how you are judged vs active peers).
I've been a Braves fan since 1958, and as good as Crime Dog was, I don't see how he's in before Andruw Jones. Jones has 10 gold gloves, over 400 HRs and played a much more demanding position than McGriff.

Now the nickname . . . that's HOF worthy . . . .

H

I do think Scott benefits from peer comparison, particularly 3rd baseman. Not many top tier within his generation. Defensively, he’s in the convo amongst the greats. Didn’t see enough Brooks Robinson, or Mike Schmidt, but Scott’s gotta be up there, & his hitting was good enough to not hold him back, while not exceptional.

Scott Rolen in the HOF but not Barry Bonds…… Hard to take this ballot process seriously. Wish these old guard baseball writers would just die off already.

Reactions: Morrison
Yeah I know Dan. Kind of a bummer
What? That Caray is headed your way? Or that it's not Jim Carrey in the pic? ;)

Chip is actually pretty good . . . but I've never heard him say "Holy Cow". Wonder if that's going to be part of his Cardinals repertoire?

Sam Simmermaker used to be the football and basketball voice of Columbus (IN) High School. He was a St. Louis/Harry Carey fan and used "Holy Cow" liberally throughout his broadcasts.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Does it matter what position he played?

He had 11 gold gloves in his career and is considered by some the best defensive first baseman in baseball history.
So you would support Andruw Jones' candidacy for the HOF? 10 gold gloves is considered by many the best CF ever, while playing a much more athletic position than 1B, plus over 400 HRs, plus leading the league in HRs and RBIs one year.

I've never seen Jones' defense slide because of a lack of success at the plate.

Reactions: Spartans9312
What? That Caray is headed your way? Or that it's not Jim Carrey in the pic? ;)

Chip is actually pretty good . . . but I've never heard him say "Holy Cow". Wonder if that's going to be part of his Cardinals repertoire?

Sam Simmermaker used to be the football and basketball voice of Columbus (IN) High School. He was a St. Louis/Harry Carey fan and used "Holy Cow" liberally throughout his broadcasts.
Ha. No. I know the broadcaster who got fired to create the opening. He picked up another dwi so they canned him. Super down to earth guy. But a drinker

You mean the people that don't appreciate the cheating?

Bonds sank his own ship.
Bonds is the best hitter of all time being kept out of the HOF by stodgy old baseball writers with FUPA’s who derive their only joy in life from being the supposed arbiters of immortality.

These clowns guess at who was and wasn’t doing steroids for two decades and vote accordingly.

Why don’t we put it up to a vote by Bonds peers?

Put Bonds in, or take Big Papi out. Either way let’s stop pretending we’re upholding some sort of moral standard here.

Reactions: Morrison
H

I do think Scott benefits from peer comparison, particularly 3rd baseman. Not many top tier within his generation. Defensively, he’s in the convo amongst the greats. Didn’t see enough Brooks Robinson, or Mike Schmidt, but Scott’s gotta be up there, & his hitting was good enough to not hold him back, while not exceptional.

I think you hit it, he was great defensively and didn't under perform on offense compared to average 3B.

That said, I really hate hall of fames. They are nothing but beauty pageants.

Reactions: Univee2

Great fielder. Good, not great, hitter.

I do think the HOF has been diluted. At a minimum, my prejudice is that a hitter, outside of maybe the great HR hitters, should hit at least .300 over a long career.

Maybe we need a Hall of Good. (HOG doesn’t quite make it, so maybe we’ll need another name.) The HOF should be reserved for the truly great - (this is not the entire list) - Ruth, Aaron, Mays, Musial, Gibson, Koufax, Clemente, Walter Johnson, Mantle, to name some of the best of the best.

Great fielder. Good, not great, hitter.

I do think the HOF has been diluted. At a minimum, my prejudice is that a hitter, outside of maybe the great HR hitters, should hit at least .300 over a long career.

Maybe we need a Hall of Good. (HOG doesn’t quite make it, so maybe we’ll need another name.) The HOF should be reserved for the truly great - (this is not the entire list) - Ruth, Aaron, Mays, Musial, Gibson, Koufax, Clemente, Walter Johnson, Mantle, to name some of the best of the best.
Cobb?

Reactions: Univee2
I think you hit it, he was great defensively and didn't under perform on offense compared to average 3B.

That said, I really hate hall of fames. They are nothing but beauty pageants.
The Rock and Roll HOF is probably too large by a factor of four or five. If I looked at the entire list I might agree with only a few. There would be others who were/are great but just not my cup of tea.

The Rock and Roll HOF is probably too large by a factor of four or five. If I looked at the entire list I might agree with only a few. There would be others who were/are great but just not my cup of tea.

The Rock HoF is the poster child for the problem. They want to have the press every year of an induction ceremony so people are guaranteed in.

But even in sports it is just not possible to compare stats in any coherent way. How much weight does one give to D? How do you compare a catcher to a center fielder?

Pitching, defense and athleticism is better today. Though there’s obviously no way to prove/test it, I could see Carew and Gwynn hitting .400+ back in the day.
. . . if they got to play . . . maybe Rico Carty too for one year . . .

. . . maybe George Brett and Ted Williams . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT