ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana HS Football 2021 Thread

Yeah my old school has been bad for a very long time
I didn’t realize until a story in the Evening News/Tribune today that Clarksville left the Mid-Southern Conference at the conclusion of last year. They are now independent and expect to drop to single A next year. With that in mind, they added a number of 1A schools to their schedule this year. I know of at least 3.
so their W-L record could be better this year for what that’s worth.

I didn’t realize until a story in the Evening News/Tribune today that Clarksville left the Mid-Southern Conference at the conclusion of last year. They are now independent and expect to drop to single A next year. With that in mind, they added a number of 1A schools to their schedule this year. I know of at least 3.
so their W-L record could be better this year for what that’s worth.
As a Brownstown Central grad, it's amazing to me how Clarksville has fallen off. They were the toughest team we played every year and they usually pounded us pretty good. Times have certainly changed. Hate to hear they dropped out of the conference, but that collection of schools has really let my Braves down for the last 20 years or so. Not enough competition to get the boys ready for the tournament. They really need to step up the non-con schedule and risk losing a couple games.

We were solid in the 70’s and really good the years with Chuck Franz at QB. Got crushed by Jimtown in the 2A title game. After Coach Hawkins left it’s been a turnstile of coaches. With all the growth in the metro Louisville are I’ve never understood why the enrollment numbers keep declining. Maybe 1A is a better fit

Reactions: midwolfe
As a Brownstown Central grad, it's amazing to me how Clarksville has fallen off. They were the toughest team we played every year and they usually pounded us pretty good. Times have certainly changed. Hate to hear they dropped out of the conference, but that collection of schools has really let my Braves down for the last 20 years or so. Not enough competition to get the boys ready for the tournament. They really need to step up the non-con schedule and risk losing a couple games.
Historically, I agree with you. However, in the last 5 years some other teams in the MSC have certainly made up ground with Brownstown. Last year, Silver Creek, Salem, North Harrison, and Corydon were all competitive in conference with Brownstown losing to Silver Creek and Salem. It remains to be seen whether those schools can maintain a high level of consistency.

Reactions: mk23
We were solid in the 70’s and really good the years with Chuck Franz at QB. Got crushed by Jimtown in the 2A title game. After Coach Hawkins left it’s been a turnstile of coaches. With all the growth in the metro Louisville are I’ve never understood why the enrollment numbers keep declining. Maybe 1A is a better fit
Clarksville was still pretty good through the early to mid 80s I think. At least they were in basketball, tennis and baseball. Silver Creek didn’t have football so I really didn’t watch pay attention to hs football then.
Clarksville’s biggest problem is they are locked in geographically and no place to grow. Surrounded on all sides by the school districts of New Albany, Jeffersonville, and Silver Creek. The most expansive residential growth that the town of Clarksville had in the last 30 years is in Silver Creek’s school district.

You are right. Not sure what I was reading. I’m still new to this conference.
VL has a long ways to go before they compete, going to be tough beating Memorial, Jasper, Mater Dei, Central, and Castle. However, I do think VL will become a decent team soon and start winning more games and will occasionally get those 8 win seasons

Teams to watch in north central (Howard, Tipton, Cass, Miami counties) this season:

Western Panthers (8-2 in 2020)- Has beaten "3 peat" 2A state champions Western Boone the last 2 seasons. Lost to Lebanon in sectionals the last 2 seasons (by a combined 5 points). Has a new QB that has moved into the position from WR. Has a tough first 3 games: Kokomo, West Lafayette, Western Boone

Pioneer Panthers (12-2) Small 2A school that beat 6A Chesterton and only lost by 4 to 4A New Haven last year. Lost in the Semi state to FW Luers last year. Will play a new 5A school (Hammond Central)this season. 1A state runner up in 2016 and back-to-back 1A state champs in 2017 and 2018

Eastern Comets (10-1) Has gone 29-4 over the last 3 years and have gone undefeated in, and won, the Hoosier Heartland Conference the last 2 years. Lost 22 seniors from last year, but solid core coming back.

Tipton Blue Devils (9-3) Won sectional title last season before losing to FW Luers in regional. Has All State Left Tackle Kipper Barnett coming back.

Last edited:
VL has a long ways to go before they compete, going to be tough beating Memorial, Jasper, Mater Dei, Central, and Castle. However, I do think VL will become a decent team soon and start winning more games and will occasionally get those 8 win seasons
I don't see it. They may occasionally (once every ten to fifteen years) have a good season and win 6, 7, or maybe 8 games, but consistently no way will
they have 8 wins in a year. They are in over their head in football in the SIAC. In basketball I think they MAY have some success, but football not gonna happen, they should expect 3 to 4 wins a year, that's it.

I don't see it. They may occasionally (once every ten to fifteen years) have a good season and win 6, 7, or maybe 8 games, but consistently no way will
they have 8 wins in a year. They are in over their head in football in the SIAC. In basketball I think they MAY have some success, but football not gonna happen, they should expect 3 to 4 wins a year, that's it.
They will be an interesting case in the SIAC, the Big 8 was a little bit easier for them to get their 8/9 wins seasons. They do have some good opportunities last season (Reitz and MD) and lost a close one to Sullivan. But yes, they will end up being around 5/6 win team for the foreseeable future. But I don’t know if they will have their success like the 90’s

Clarksville was still pretty good through the early to mid 80s I think. At least they were in basketball, tennis and baseball. Silver Creek didn’t have football so I really didn’t watch pay attention to hs football then.
Clarksville’s biggest problem is they are locked in geographically and no place to grow. Surrounded on all sides by the school districts of New Albany, Jeffersonville, and Silver Creek. The most expansive residential growth that the town of Clarksville had in the last 30 years is in Silver Creek’s school district.
Silver Creek didn’t even have football when I was there. There was always , at least back in the day, some dispute over the attendance zones for Jeffersonville and Clarksville. Thanks for the update though, I haven’t been back in several years. Currently pushing a high school kid though a little 3A school here in Texas

I’m a Floyd Central guy. But like most of Southeastern Indiana, we just aren’t as good in Football as we are in Basketball and Baseball. The Hoosier Hills Conference is just flat out dominated by Columbus East. We had a OT last year that went to Ohio State, a C that went to Northern Illinois and a Tailback that went to Illinois State and still couldn’t stay with to East.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
They will be an interesting case in the SIAC, the Big 8 was a little bit easier for them to get their 8/9 wins seasons. They do have some good opportunities last season (Reitz and MD) and lost a close one to Sullivan. But yes, they will end up being around 5/6 win team for the foreseeable future. But I don’t know if they will have their success like the 90’s
I think even 5 to 6 wins is a stretch. Who are they going to beat Castle, uh no, Memorial, nope, Central don't think so, Mater Dei I doubt it, Reitz not very often, Jasper, again not often, North, maybe occasionally but not consistently. That leaves Harrison and Bosse those I give you, Bosse for sure. The SIAC is a whole different level than the Big 8, and frankly Vincennes was often not even successful in the Big 8, so moving to the SIAC is going to be a rude awakening for them. Their enrollment is declining year by year and as I said they are in over their head. We will see though maybe I'm wrong , if so I will admit it. I don't think I am though.

Floyd Central guy. I didn't play football. But it's amazing what Columbus East has done since 2000. Floyd Central was dominant team but never like East as been. We couldn't be the Evansville teams aka Levron Williams.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
2 more days until the first game of the season! SIAC implications in first week too:

Jasper at Memorial
North at Castle
Central at Mater Dei

They need them. I look for North and South to be pretty good. Rooting for Castle as my kids are in that school district.
Ask the locals about the time when South beat Castle back in the mid 80's in regionals. Castle was defending state champs, undefeated, at home and lost on the last play of the game on a kickoff. Can still remember Joe Smith calling the play on radio. South led the whole game until about 5 seconds to go. The rest is history.

Jasper shits out football and baseball players. It's ridiculous.
That is true, we looked really good 1H and the next thing you know it, Jasper throws 20 points at you in the 2H. I think we will be fine, it’s a major wake up call for us. Seems like a rematch in the sectional could happen.

Reactions: ulrey
That is true, we looked really good 1H and the next thing you know it, Jasper throws 20 points at you in the 2H. I think we will be fine, it’s a major wake up call for us. Seems like a rematch in the sectional could happen.
i was surprised Mater Dei beat Central

Screw Castle! cake eaters
If we are talking Evansville (I'm including Castle), Castle would be the strongest, Memorial, Reitz, and Mater Dei will be the next tier. Looking at the SIAC in total, I would say it will be between Jasper and Castle.. Central could surprise people. Gibson Southern plays a difficult early schedule. I could see them making the deepest run of all the teams in the area.

If there is one thing I would relive from high school, it would be to run out under the lights and play in one more game. I loved everything from coming out of the locker room to meeting my friends after the game. How did we find each other without cell phones and texting?

Reactions: vesuvius13
i was surprised Mater Dei beat Central
I think Mike Goebel goes to kindergarten classes and starts scouting and training future QBs. Year after year they plug in a new QB and they play and execute the offense like the one that came before them. He will be hard to replace unless they hire a former player that has learned the secret of his success.

I think Mike Goebel goes to kindergarten classes and starts scouting and training future QBs. Year after year they plug in a new QB and they play and execute the offense like the one that came before them. He will be hard to replace unless they hire a former player that has learned the secret of his success.
Who knows who will replace Goebel, I remember hearing something that he wanted to focus more on Wrestling, but I’m very unsure about that rumor. Going to be interesting which SIAC teams progress throughout the regular season. Once the tournament comes, that is a whole new ballpark.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Central has had a great run recently despite going through 3 coaches in 4 years, with their 4th in 5 starting this year. But I think they project to be down a bit with graduation.

Memorial has been very consistently good the last several years, don't know where this year stands and they're bumped to 4A due to success factor and probably won't make a deep tournament run.

Castle & Mater Dei have been consistent. North has been middling but improving.

Bosse & Harrison are in rough shape still.

With Jasper & Vincennes joining the SIAC, they could be in the mix (much more Jasper than VL). I'm not sure how much though. I would expect the SIAC to be fairly wide open with a good chance of a split championship this year with teams trading losses.

I imagine this will be the first year in a while where no schools from the SIAC will be in position to make a deep tournament run. The rest of SW Indiana is kind of meh too. Gibson Southern is in a kind of do or die year. They've had a hard time getting past Memorial then Southridge & Heritage Hills in the tournament. If they can't do it with Allen & the Castle OL transfer leading the way, I don't know what to say. Nick Hart is a fine coach, but he seems like he did more with less early in his tenure there.
Reitz is the historical power in Evansville football. How are they this year? I didn't see them mentioned.

Reitz is the historical power in Evansville football. How are they this year? I didn't see them mentioned.
They are 2-0 right now, but their first 2 games are against easier opponents. They play 2-0 juggernaut Jasper Friday and then start an then awful stretch against North, Central, Memorial, and Castle.

Power rankings right now

1. Mater Dei
2. Jasper
3. Memorial
4. Castle
5. Bosse
6. Reitz
7. North
8. Central
9. VL
10. Harrison

Game to watch in week 3: Memorial at Central, trap game for the Tigers

Last edited:
IUJim - Does Biddings have D1 offers? I assume so but can’t figure out what his level is.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT