ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Fever - Caitlin Clark

Where do you see the Caitlin Clark effect taking the WNBA

• Total voters
I'll make an exception, sure. I may be a pig, but I'm not an oblivious one.
Viola Davis Black Girl Magic GIF by Golden Globes

Black Woman Makeup GIF

Skate Skating GIF

Kerry Washington Black Girl Magic GIF by Golden Globes

No Way Dont GIF

Aw poor little victims… so hard to be straight and white in society these days.
It’s getting harder as whackos like you & EJean try to glorify & profit from mental health issues, but thank goodness we still hold all of the real power.😉

Are young girls as shoe obsessed as young boys? And do they follow the WNBA like the boys follow the NBA?

The racial aspect is troubling but not surprising. Either young black girls need to become a larger market or the market needs to be more colorblind. Like all things involving questions of race, we have a ways to go.

Can't speak for others, but my 17 year old and her friend circle are starting to become sneakerheads.

She's not going out and buying $500 shoes, but she searches stockx or GOAT and looks for deals on shoes. She's probably at 10-13 pairs, I'd guess.

She follows exactly zero WNBA, but I did catch her watching Iowa in the semis with her grandparents. I doubt though that she will actively search out woman's basketball, since it's not her sport.

The level of athleticism in the NBA is so far above men's college ball, which is so much slower and grounded, I doubt that I would ever "get into it" at all, had I not 1) been brought up with it and 2)gone to IU.

Same with Indiana high school boys basketball.

I have to admit I never watched a woman's college game tip-off to buzzer until this year. 3-4 IU games and Iowa's tournament games.
I agree but to me even the high school game is faster than the women's game. I'm not a big NBA fan, but will admit watching it in the playoffs is pretty good stuff. The physicality and athletic play is off the charts.

I guess the best response would be, would you just tune into a women's game if it weren't featuring Caitlin Clark or IU? I would not, probably wouldn't for the just Clark, but I will stop and watch a Duke/NC game which I have zero interest in just to watch and I could go on and one because the entire game from the top teams to even the poorest are good on the men's side.

I guess the best response would be, would you just tune into a women's game if it weren't featuring Caitlin Clark or IU? I would not, probably wouldn't for the just Clark, but I will stop and watch a Duke/NC game which I have zero interest in just to watch
Probably not very often, unless I know that the style of play is interesting. I have watched lots of bits and pieces of UConn women's games because they have solid defensive and (especially) offensive philosophies that remind me of RMK. On O, it's not a true motion offense, but still lots of off-ball cuts, screens from multiple angles, ball fakes, shot fakes, head and shoulder fakes, making the extra pass, and you don't play if you want to dribble the air out of the ball. Not just on ball pick-n-roll all day, like 75% of teams.

Sure they regularly get top recruits (like Cal, say), but they are also profoundly coached up (like RMK). Don't get me wrong, Geno strikes me as quite the unlikable grump, but anyone has to admit he gets his teams to play the right way. Making the final 4 with 5-6 rotation players injured for the season, this year might have been a better coaching job than some of his championships.

It’s getting harder as whackos like you & EJean try to glorify & profit from mental health issues, but thank goodness we still hold all of the real power.😉
Oh right you definitely hold power. For sure for sure. Lmao

Straight white chicks get more attention in all aspects of life (not just in basketball) especially if they're even remotely attractive. Sue Bird broke me when she went public. And as a straight white old guy, I don't know if I'm in the minority or not but I've never developed a taste for brown sugar so when I'm checking out the rosters the black players don't jump out at me. I can appreciate that Chloe is a helluva basketball player, but I'm not checking her out <wink wink>.

Yes, I am a pig.
I would not be surprised if Bird pulls an Ann Heche someday and gets married to a man. I'm middle aged and have never dated a black girl but was never against doing so. I made a statement on here some time back that I thought Angel Reese was better looking than Caitlin Clark. But I am very thrilled Clark is a member of the Fever. Indy will embrace her because she brings the excitement, the juice to women's basketball.

I agree but to me even the high school game is faster than the women's game. I'm not a big NBA fan, but will admit watching it in the playoffs is pretty good stuff. The physicality and athletic play is off the charts.

I guess the best response would be, would you just tune into a women's game if it weren't featuring Caitlin Clark or IU? I would not, probably wouldn't for the just Clark, but I will stop and watch a Duke/NC game which I have zero interest in just to watch and I could go on and one because the entire game from the top teams to even the poorest are good on the men's side.
I probably watched more WBB than MBB this year because it was far more entertaining and interesting than a majority of the storylines in MBB and also because the IU women were in a conference race, while our men were not. As a result, I watched a lot of OSU and Iowa wbb even when IU wasn't playing. I also saw a lot of SoCar, LSU and other top teams that were featured on national telecasts.

I probably watched more WBB than MBB this year because it was far more entertaining and interesting than a majority of the storylines in MBB and also because the IU women were in a conference race, while our men were not. As a result, I watched a lot of OSU and Iowa wbb even when IU wasn't playing. I also saw a lot of SoCar, LSU and other top teams that were featured on national telecasts.
I can appreciate that but I also know you are by far and away the minority. Maybe Clark transcends the WNBA, but the way other players are currently handling her success I doubt it will. Seems like there is way to much jealousy in that league.

I would not be surprised if Bird pulls an Ann Heche someday and gets married to a man. I'm middle aged and have never dated a black girl but was never against doing so. I made a statement on here some time back that I thought Angel Reese was better looking than Caitlin Clark. But I am very thrilled Clark is a member of the Fever. Indy will embrace her because she brings the excitement, the juice to women's basketball.
WTH?

I can appreciate that but I also know you are by far and away the minority. Maybe Clark transcends the WNBA, but the way other players are currently handling her success I doubt it will. Seems like there is way to much jealousy in that league.
She seems to be getting along just fine with her teammates. Aliyah Boston flew to NYC to welcome her. Early, on obviously.

I agree that I am in the minority. That said, I’m not sure how the rest of the league embraces Clark has anything to do with whether she transcends it or not. Transcending it will be up to the results and the fans not her competitors.

Reactions: outside shooter
I agree that I am in the minority. That said, I’m not sure how the rest of the league embraces Clark has anything to do with whether she transcends it or not. Transcending it will be up to the results and the fans not her competitors.
I think her teammates will embrace her and my guess is she’ll get more trash talking and hard fouls from her opponents. And that’s ok. As long as her teammates accept her that’s what really matters. I saw some film today of her hitting Boston with some pretty sweet passes and the two of them high fiving. She and Grace will have a lot in common I’m sure.

I hope that Grace still makes the team and rotation. They have a LOT of PGs now, it seems.

I hope that Grace still makes the team and rotation. They have a LOT of PGs now, it seems.
I think the threat to Grace is their second round pick from O$U. She is known as a great defender. But Grace has a year more experience, can play both guard positions as opposed to point, and is a better offensive player. I think she keeps her roster spot but loses PT because of Clark.

First Fever exhibition game..Caitlin hit her first two shots, long threes. Sold out crowd at Dallas with cheers almost as much for Caitlin as for Dallas team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT