ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Fever - Caitlin Clark

Where do you see the Caitlin Clark effect taking the WNBA

• Total voters
Yep I'm still able to see after all these years and it only took me 20 minutes. Whether I know a player or not has zero impact on my knowledge? I didn't know several on the UCONN mens team but I knew by the half they were light years better than PU.

I get that the girl from SC was 6'7 and was completely playing above the rim that is probably why the Iowa team looked a bit weak underneath. I actually thought the sophomore on SC's team was way better than the tall girl. I bet she was at least 6'8.
My point is, and I assume you get that, is that you have no idea what kind of inside game Iowa normally has, when you watch only 20 minutes of a game where they are playing the number 1, undefeated team and an All American center,

This is as good of a spot as any, we need to hire women's basketball coaches to run the NSA. Their portal news is non existent. The first thing one hears is when someone signs. No "we are after", "we have visits", or anything else.

I suspect the men's coaches have a lot more pressure on them and so they leak like both presidential candidates into Depends.

This is as good of a spot as any, we need to hire women's basketball coaches to run the NSA. Their portal news is non existent. The first thing one hears is when someone signs. No "we are after", "we have visits", or anything else.

I suspect the men's coaches have a lot more pressure on them and so they leak like both presidential candidates into Depends.
When will men's college basketball have its first woman coach?

When will men's college basketball have its first woman coach?
It may be years. It will take bravery. Someone will have to work their way up in the men's game. They won't bring someone over from the women's. There aren't many candidates now.

Moren is not on board with NIL. Has $500k to spend and has yet to have a recruit talk to the money runners

I know this has been said before, but it feels like women's basketball is at a pivotal point. This current WNBA draft class - obviously led by Caitlin Clark - seems poised to at least position women's professional basketball to gain a strong foothold in some market. Do I think Clark will put the WNBA on the same level as the NBA? No chance. And I have a better chance of getting drafted in the NBA than the WNBA has of competing with the likes of the NFL, college football, etc.

I do think Fever games will get higher ratings than any MLS or MLB games for at least the first few of Clark's games. I do think the onus is on her to perform at a high level and for the league to market her/the game like they never have before.

That said, I'm curious where you all stand on thi

Yep I'm still able to see after all these years and it only took me 20 minutes. Whether I know a player or not has zero impact on my knowledge? I didn't know several on the UCONN mens team but I knew by the half they were light years better than PU.

I get that the girl from SC was 6'7 and was completely playing above the rim that is probably why the Iowa team looked a bit weak underneath. I actually thought the sophomore on SC's team was way better than the tall girl. I bet she was at least 6'8.
Has anyone posted this yet? …..gold.

CC on SNL.

Moren is not on board with NIL. Has $500k to spend and has yet to have a recruit talk to the money runners
She said last year if a recruit starts asking NIL, we don't want pursue them. I wonder how much longer that attitude will last? As more money comes into the women's game, the pressure to keep up will grow.

But I admire her deep concern for team chemistry above all else.

She said last year if a recruit starts asking NIL, we don't want pursue them. I wonder how much longer that attitude will last? As more money comes into the women's game, the pressure to keep up will grow.

As it should be

I think us and Iowa are the only teams in the country with no portal entrants, so I believe in Teri’s culture. But if she doesn’t play the NIL game she’s going to get left behind, as much as I hate to say that.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I think us and Iowa are the only teams in the country with no portal entrants, so I believe in Teri’s culture. But if she doesn’t play the NIL game she’s going to get left behind, as much as I hate to say that.
Iowa just took one of the top portal entries in the country. From Villanova, I think. It’s going to happen with women, just a matter of time. Pretty sure Angel Reese go lots of NIL $ when she transferred, the twins, and Van Lith. It will take longer, but it’s coming too, sadly.

Reactions: BradStevens
This vid makes it seem like the WNBA culture is toxic as hell:

Who is this person? I have heard about the woman who said environment was toxic, but she retired almost a decade ago. I think a lot has changed since then, hopefully. If they are smart, they will ride Caitlin for all they’ve got. They also have a new one coming next year. UConn’s Paige Bueckers has a huge social media following and will be drafted.

It took 30 seconds of listening to this video to recognize the creator had an agenda to push. I don't follow the WNBA, so I can't really say much about the culture or whatever, but this video is pretty garbagey.
OK, well, I'm not going to spend the time to find the individual video footage and statements the guy collects from the WNBA players, etc. but it doesn't paint the league in a very good light.

Who is this person? I have heard about the woman who said environment was toxic, but she retired almost a decade ago. I think a lot has changed since then, hopefully. If they are smart, they will ride Caitlin for all they’ve got. They also have a new one coming next year. UConn’s Paige Bueckers has a huge social media following and will be drafted.
No clue who the dude is. I agree he seems to have a point of view. Tough to ignore that.

But the statements from the players themselves are pretty damning.

No clue who the dude is. I agree he seems to have a point of view. Tough to ignore that.

But the statements from the players themselves are pretty damning.
what is the toxic culture? woke cult shit like the uswnt and rapinoe running off christians and people who didn't want to take a knee etc?

what is the toxic culture? woke cult shit like the uswnt and rapinoe running off christians and people who didn't want to take a knee etc?
Pretty much. Stuff like they don't think "whiteness" should be the face of the league and the lesbians aren't too happy about the straight chicks. Straight and white looks to be a target for bullying and backbiting.

My point is, and I assume you get that, is that you have no idea what kind of inside game Iowa normally has, when you watch only 20 minutes of a game where they are playing the number 1, undefeated team and an All American center,
I admit Iowa was good, but not sure it was a high bar. I watched quite a few IU women's games and the play overall from many Big 10 teams was mediocre at best.

I think most of in my case is just because the level of play is so much slower and grounded compared to the men's game. Being a father of two girls and no boys I'm all in for women's sports but I'm also a realist when I see play that just seems average at best.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Pretty much. Stuff like they don't think "whiteness" should be the face of the league and the lesbians aren't too happy about the straight chicks. Straight and white looks to be a target for bullying and backbiting.

Straight white chicks get more attention in all aspects of life (not just in basketball) especially if they're even remotely attractive. Sue Bird broke me when she went public. And as a straight white old guy, I don't know if I'm in the minority or not but I've never developed a taste for brown sugar so when I'm checking out the rosters the black players don't jump out at me. I can appreciate that Chloe is a helluva basketball player, but I'm not checking her out <wink wink>.

Yes, I am a pig.

• Haha
I think most of in my case is just because the level of play is so much slower and grounded compared to the men's game. Being a father of two girls and no boys I'm all in for women's sports but I'm also a realist when I see play that just seems average at best.
The level of athleticism in the NBA is so far above men's college ball, which is so much slower and grounded, I doubt that I would ever "get into it" at all, had I not 1) been brought up with it and 2)gone to IU.

Same with Indiana high school boys basketball.

I have to admit I never watched a woman's college game tip-off to buzzer until this year. 3-4 IU games and Iowa's tournament games.

The Washington team is moving their Fever home game from their 4000 seat arena to the main 20,000 seat arena. Chicago fans are petitioning for the same.

She had her first Fever workout today, I was more excited to see Berger in the video. I worry her guard position is a little too crowded now.

Straight white chicks get more attention in all aspects of life (not just in basketball) especially if they're even remotely attractive. Sue Bird broke me when she went public. And as a straight white old guy, I don't know if I'm in the minority or not but I've never developed a taste for brown sugar so when I'm checking out the rosters the black players don't jump out at me. I can appreciate that Chloe is a helluva basketball player, but I'm not checking her out <wink wink>.

Yes, I am a pig.
Halle Berry Beach GIF by James Bond 007

naomi campbell fashion GIF by Oxygen

Come Here If Its Lovin That You Want GIF by Rihanna

Tyra Banks Judging You GIF

Yes, I am a pig.

You missed out, my man.

This vid makes it seem like the WNBA culture is toxic as hell:

I saw something on CBS This Morning that there have been 8 WNBA players who have had shoe contracts with the major shoe companies and none of the women were black. I was quite surprised. Lisa Leslie and Candice Parker were big WNBA stars and were never offered one. And I’m sure, like the NBA, the majority of the players are black.

Reactions: UncleMark
I admit Iowa was good, but not sure it was a high bar. I watched quite a few IU women's games and the play overall from many Big 10 teams was mediocre at best.

IU beat Iowa by almost 20 points at SSAH. You’ve said it was slow a couple of times but I don’t see how that can be the case when the scores are sometimes in the 80’s and 90’s. Usually in the 70’s at least.

Yes, I am a pig.
Like you don’t even check out Halle Berry, for example?

I saw something on CBS This Morning that there have been 8 WNBA players who have had shoe contracts with the major shoe companies and none of the women were black. I was quite surprised. Lisa Leslie and Candice Parker were big WNBA stars and were never offered one. And I’m sure, like the NBA, the majority of the players are black.

Are young girls as shoe obsessed as young boys? And do they follow the WNBA like the boys follow the NBA?

The racial aspect is troubling but not surprising. Either young black girls need to become a larger market or the market needs to be more colorblind. Like all things involving questions of race, we have a ways to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT