ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Fever - Caitlin Clark

Where do you see the Caitlin Clark effect taking the WNBA

• Total voters
It is entertaining and that is what the women's game needs to become more relevant so she should fire away. It still doesn't make it a good shot. The ball being smaller is a decided advantage for the women you don't realize it until you see the difference.
It is if she makes 33%+ of them, and her presence out there creates space.

It wasn't that he made the heart symbol. It was that he implied to a young woman that his acceptance was conditional on her compliance. There is some overreaction to it, but it was at the very least unprofessional in that setting.

He was trying to be funny, but in a professional setting compliance beyond the actual task of your job has kind of a slippery slope to it.
Funny? Seemed like he flirting with her..

You're talking regular season games? What happened to the fan enthusiasm?
Regular season games were sold out when I was a high school student. Last I looked Indiana had 18 of the highest capacity high school gyms in the country.

I think class basketball is one reason that enthusiasm has waned.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Regular season games were sold out when I was a high school student. Last I looked Indiana had 18 of the highest capacity high school gyms in the country.

I agree and I think the quality of the play has gone the wrong direction. Im in the region and we used to have 10 to 12 good teams. Now its down to 4 ish that dont really compete well with teams outside this area. Interest is also way down. Some schools have a hard time even fielding a team and only a few years ago had decent teams. You should see what a game at EC or West Side looks like in those big fieldhouses with 100 fans in the seats.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
It is if she makes 33%+ of them, and her presence out there creates space.
I doubt she was 33% + from that distance since she was a 37% 3 point shooter over all. It is what it is, like I said it great when it goes and frustrating when it doesn’t.

I hope she has a good WNBA career especially since she is getting called out by so many current players.

Good point about class basketball.

Back in the day the lower class communities were proud of their teams and going to the games was the social event of the week.

Upsetting the big schools didn't happen often, but when it happened it was never forgotten.

Now with all the sports on television and just having the village school classified as sub par, the excitement of going to the gym on Friday night isn't what it used to be.

Good point about class basketball.

Back in the day the lower class communities were proud of their teams and going to the games was the social event of the week.

Upsetting the big schools didn't happen often, but when it happened it was never forgotten.

Now with all the sports on television and just having the village school classified as sub par, the excitement of going to the gym on Friday night isn't what it used to be.
I guess I'm not seeing the link between the class tournament at the end of the year and the regular season games?

Is it clubs that are making high school less attractive for the players? We have that here for many sports where the kids feel like high school competition is a step down from their club teams. I didn't think it affected basketball though.

As for the fans/students, are they just staying home on the internet or watching TV? Do high school kids just not want to meet up anymore?

No different than the NBA, or even college basketball. Nowadays it's all about the playoffs/tournaments. Expanding the post season diminishes the regular season.
Huh. I don't recall it being that way when I was in high school. But my school was great at football, not basketball. It was a small town: we went to all the games because it was something to do and girls would be there.

Reactions: ulrey
I doubt she was 33% + from that distance since she was a 37% 3 point shooter over all. It is what it is, like I said it great when it goes and frustrating when it doesn’t.

I hope she has a good WNBA career especially since she is getting called out by so many current players.
She led her team to the NCAA final game two years in a row. How much do think her play was frustrating to her teammates, coaches and fans?

Her shot selection for Iowa was fine.

Yes.it started waning partly when class basketball came in , but also kind of like so many other things , too many other options for entertainment, school consolidations, and I’m sure other factors too,
Yep. Class basketball and consolidation ruined a great product. Everyone needs a trophy

Reactions: ulrey and Bill4411
Because men would rather watch men - it's a product with superior athletes for nearly every sport. And we don't give a shit about the pay disparity - that's a feminist gripe. And most feminists aren't avid watchers and supporters of women's athletics.
If the 'superior athletes' argument had any merit, then HS and college sports wouldn't have much of an audience because pro athletes are athletically superior.

For me, I'll watch almost anything that's competitive and fair. Has nothing to do with athletic superiority. I might be a minority in that, but that's me. I'll watch U14 soccer if it's competitive quicker than I would watch Man City take on Luton Town because it's not very competitive.

How do women support men's sports? If they go to games it is probably because their guys are going. Now that is admirable but not the same thing as being a fan themselves. The bottom line is women generally are not into sports as much as men.
Just because your household operates like a 1940's era chauvinistic temple doesn't mean most do.

According to CBB Analytics, Clark shoots 39.2% on shots that are 25-30 feet from the rim (in college, the 3-point line is 22 feet, 1 3/4 inches). These are what CBB Analytics call “Long Distance 3s.” Others call them “logo shots.” The D-I average from this range is 29.5%, meaning that Clark shoots the (really) long ball 9.8% better than the national average.

courtesy USA Today

Reactions: outside shooter
She led her team to the NCAA final game two years in a row. How much do think her play was frustrating to her teammates, coaches and fans?

Her shot selection for Iowa was fine.
Wow you are a big fan, lol. I have no idea how that Iowa team would stack up to some of the really good UCONN or UT teams of the past. It is no doubt Iowa was one of the best teams, not sure that says much since the bracket always seems to play out as all 1 and 2 seeds in the final four, parity is still an issue in women's college basketball.

I also think she had to shoot from outside more than usual due to a relatively weak inside game. She was definitely the one driving that bus, heaven forbid they had to rely on anyone else like the game at Bloomington. I think IU beat them by 20+ when she had a off night.

That's why every shot taken is in the paint at all levels of basketball. No need to shoot from behind the 3-point line...it's harder to make than a shot in the paint. Duh.
Wow thanks I've been watching basketball for 50 years and it took until this post for me to realize that, it is terrible living in the dark for so long.

Wow you are a big fan, lol. I have no idea how that Iowa team would stack up to some of the really good UCONN or UT teams of the past. It is no doubt Iowa was one of the best teams, not sure that says much since the bracket always seems to play out as all 1 and 2 seeds in the final four, parity is still an issue in women's college basketball.

I also think she had to shoot from outside more than usual due to a relatively weak inside game. She was definitely the one driving that bus, heaven forbid they had to rely on anyone else like the game at Bloomington. I think IU beat them by 20+ when she had a off night.
You like to talk like you know what you're talking about, but you really don't have a clue.

Yes, she was the best player int eh country, therefore she did drive the bus and was a primary reason they were a #1 seed. But they had several more than capable players other than her, which is why in addition to losing to us by 17 at SSAH, they also beat our brains in at IC when they beat us by 27 and had 4 players in double figures. Their post, Hannah Stuelke, was 2nd team all-Big Ten as a soph.

If the 'superior athletes' argument had any merit, then HS and college sports wouldn't have much of an audience because pro athletes are athletically superior.

For me, I'll watch almost anything that's competitive and fair. Has nothing to do with athletic superiority. I might be a minority in that, but that's me. I'll watch U14 soccer if it's competitive quicker than I would watch Man City take on Luton Town because it's not very competitive.
There’s a level of ability that needs to be there. Not many are tuning in to watch those competitive and fair 30-29 t-ball games played by 6 year olds.

And the relative athletic ability argument doesn’t have to be the only reason, but certainly is one of them.

There’s a level of ability that needs to be there. Not many are tuning in to watch those competitive and fair 30-29 t-ball games played by 6 year olds.

And the relative athletic ability argument doesn’t have to be the only reason, but certainly is one of them.
Sure, but the level of athletic ability by D1 college women in P6 conferences is a bit more superior than the 6 year old t-ball game.

Sure, but the level of athletic ability by D1 college women in P6 conferences is a bit more superior than the 6 year old t-ball game.
That was an extreme example to prove my point.

But . . . the athletic ability of D1 P6 college women is no better than (probably worse than) good high school boys teams. They aren’t televised much and a lot might not want to watch that level of ability (I do, though).

Reactions: jet812
That was an extreme example to prove my point.

But . . . the athletic ability of D1 P6 college women is no better than (probably worse than) good high school boys teams. They aren’t televised much and a lot might not want to watch that level of ability (I do, though).
Eh, I'd say they might not match GREAT boys high school teams, but they'd do just fine against a lot of good HS teams.

Eh, I'd say they might not match GREAT boys high school teams, but they'd do just fine against a lot of good HS teams.
It’s a fun thought experiment:

Carmel HS boys team finished 12-11 this last year. No clue who they have on the roster, but let’s assume they’re a better than average HS boys team.

How would that team fare playing in the B1G women’s conference?

My guess is they’d overpower women’s teams and out run them.

Reactions: jet812
It’s a fun thought experiment:

Carmel HS boys team finished 12-11 this last year. No clue who they have on the roster, but let’s assume they’re a better than average HS boys team.

How would that team fare playing in the B1G women’s conference?

My guess is they’d overpower women’s teams and out run them.
I watched Bloomington North (not this past year) for JQ Roberts final two seasons when they advanced to semi-state both years (I think). Not a very post-oriented team, but they wouldn't have been top 4 in the Big Ten, in my opinion. I could be wrong. THe women practice against men every day...not sure how good that collection of men is or who wins those matchups. I'd guess an honest WBB coach could give you a fair opinion, since practicing against men is the norm.

Reactions: BradStevens

Krafty, your wanting to watch anything competitive isn't what turns me on, as it relates to the ladies playing sports.

What's turns me on are whether the girls have sexy figures or not. In this regard, my favorite women's sport is volleyball. Especially beach volleyball which should be obvious for most men.

Caitlin Clark's straight line figure just doesn't do it for me.

• Wow
Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT