ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Fever - Caitlin Clark

Where do you see the Caitlin Clark effect taking the WNBA

• Total voters

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
I know this has been said before, but it feels like women's basketball is at a pivotal point. This current WNBA draft class - obviously led by Caitlin Clark - seems poised to at least position women's professional basketball to gain a strong foothold in some market. Do I think Clark will put the WNBA on the same level as the NBA? No chance. And I have a better chance of getting drafted in the NBA than the WNBA has of competing with the likes of the NFL, college football, etc.

I do think Fever games will get higher ratings than any MLS or MLB games for at least the first few of Clark's games. I do think the onus is on her to perform at a high level and for the league to market her/the game like they never have before.

That said, I'm curious where you all stand on this.

Reactions: Willdog7
I think people will watch Clark but not the WNBA. The rest of the league just immediately turns off half the country. It's why when Rapinoe and the other nutjobs lost last year you had probably over half of the country applauding.

BTW, what was this exchange between Clark and Doyel about? He's another whackjob.

I know this has been said before, but it feels like women's basketball is at a pivotal point. This current WNBA draft class - obviously led by Caitlin Clark - seems poised to at least position women's professional basketball to gain a strong foothold in some market. Do I think Clark will put the WNBA on the same level as the NBA? No chance. And I have a better chance of getting drafted in the NBA than the WNBA has of competing with the likes of the NFL, college football, etc.

I do think Fever games will get higher ratings than any MLS or MLB games for at least the first few of Clark's games. I do think the onus is on her to perform at a high level and for the league to market her/the game like they never have before.

There are a lot of parents of girls, I think that will keep interest. A lot of little girls play basketball. Most women's players I heard interviewed have listed male players as their idols, I think Clark puts a big dent in that.

Personally I won't watch. I didn't watch more than a couple minutes of Grace Berger playing last year, Clark won't add to it. But if my daughter that played basketball were young now, I bet that would be different.

Reactions: larsIU and Ohio Guy
I think people will watch Clark but not the WNBA. The rest of the league just immediately turns off half the country. It's why when Rapinoe and the other nutjobs lost last year you had probably over half of the country applauding.

BTW, what was this exchange between Clark and Doyel about? He's another whackjob.

Gregg Doyel "who spells both of his names wrong..."

:D:D:D

I believe I read that Doyel made a heart shape with his hands. Very creepy, especially from a reporter covering Indy sports. I used to like Doyel, but I it seem like he is turning into a cranky and creepy old man.

I believe I read that Doyel made a heart shape with his hands. Very creepy, especially from a reporter covering Indy sports. I used to like Doyel, but I it seem like he is turning into a cranky and creepy old man.
I do like him, especially his human interest stories, but that was really creepy. He has apologized, for what it’s worth.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey and UncleMark

Sitting in my favorite watering hole, TV was tuned to White Sox-Royals...
The stands were empty...

WNBA? Have never been a fan...
Wasn't Clark the player everyone hated?

Her rookie league salary is $76K?

She made a $Million playing college ball.

WNBA is gay and fake.

MLB is dead in Spring.

I do like him, especially his human interest stories, but that was really creepy. He has apologized, for what it’s worth.

He's a columnist, not a journalist. He's paid to share his opinions and personal takes on the sports world, and as you said he does a really good job with the sentimental, heartstrings stuff. I think he's a dweeb with questionable social skills who was trying to make an impression with someone he will be covering closely. I can relate.

He blew it. It happens.

He's a columnist, not a journalist. He's paid to share his opinions and personal takes on the sports world, and as you said he does a really good job with the sentimental, heartstrings stuff. I think he's a dweeb with questionable social skills who was trying to make an impression with someone he will be covering closely. I can relate.

He blew it. It happens.
That’s what I think too.

Sitting in my favorite watering hole, TV was tuned to White Sox-Royals...
The stands were empty...

WNBA? Have never been a fan...
Wasn't Clark the player everyone hated?

Her rookie league salary is $76K?

She made a $Million playing college ball.

WNBA is gay and fake.

MLB is dead in Spring.
Awww...did the big bad women scare little Massengill?

I'm watching more.

I'm watching more.
Me too I'm up for a trade

Hanna-Cavinder-Is-Going-Viral-Over-Racy-Outfit-Thats-Way-Too-Sexy-For-The-Golf-Course-PICS-1.jpg

As someone that doesn't have interest and hasn't watched, I agree. She is likely going to command unprecedented attention early on. If she fizzles out, interest may wane quickly. If not, she could definitely increase league interest.

I don't have any desire to watch unless my daughter does, but good for her if she drives some interest. Women are the ones that need to ultimately support the league though - if they want anything close to equal pay, etc.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
'Will bring an incredible, unbelievable number of media stories about unfair pay and working conditions'

Wasn't a choice in the poll.

As someone that doesn't have interest and hasn't watched, I agree. She is likely going to command unprecedented attention early on. If she fizzles out, interest may wane quickly. If not, she could definitely increase league interest.

I don't have any desire to watch unless my daughter does, but good for her if she drives some interest. Women are the ones that need to ultimately support the league though - if they want anything close to equal pay, etc.
Why? Do women not watch and support men , college, the NBA? Why should it be up to women?

That's just how it's going to work, like it or not. Not a bad thing really.
I don’t really know why. I see an awful lot of men at IU women’s games. And tons of Dads with their daughters. Why wouldn’t that translate?

Why? Do women not watch and support men , college, the NBA? Why should it be up to women?
I think you might want to simply let them grow knowledge from the grass roots level. No need to combat it, they simply don't get it yet. YET.
The ladies game is a good product to watch now. They'll come around. Buy WNBA stock now !!!

All about star power. The NBA didn't take off until Magic and Bird.
WWE didn't until Joe_Hulk_ster (he and I are buddies).
Point being, todays womens bball game isn't your 1950 dinner at 5:00 product. Once marketing gets serious, ..... They have a decent product. $$$$

Key being daughters. And cheap seats.
It’s not just with daughters, it’s in addition to. Marv can chime in, but I honestly think there are as many men at the women’s IU games as women, if not certainly close. In the student section, I see more guys for sure. That being said, I’ve only been to two Fever games and it has definitely been more women. But I expect Caitlin will draw out men too. My 30 year old nephew asked for a Caitlin jersey for his birthday. Tickets aren’t IU cheap, and they raised them already for this year, but certainly cheaper than NBA.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Because men would rather watch men - it's a product with superior athletes for nearly every sport. And we don't give a shit about the pay disparity - that's a feminist gripe. And most feminists aren't avid watchers and supporters of women's athletics.

Reactions: jet812
WWE didn't until Joe_Hulk_ster (he and I are buddies).
Point being, todays womens bball game isn't your 1950 dinner at 5:00 product. Once marketing gets serious, ..... They have a decent product. $$$$

IUWBB was a great product to watch. I became a fan late, not like Marv or zeke or others who have followed them for years. TV coverage made a huge difference, but that's a chicken/egg thing. I don't know that I've ever watched a WNBA game. Now I'll have the opportunity and some incentive at least. Not sure if I'll like it or not (I sure don't like the NBA). We'll see.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT