ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming Transfer Talent Better than Outgoing Transfer Talent

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
And ranked 13/15th best in the nation. … Let’s hope it’s enough … It needs to be enough … IU started running out of personnel late last year.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...transfer-portal-class-ranked-top-15-in-nation

“According to On3's metric, Indiana has an average incoming transfer player rating of 73.77, while outgoing transfers average out to 64.43. Basically, On3 is saying Indiana's incoming talent is better than its outgoing talent. Among Big Ten teams, Indiana is second behind Wisconsin in On3's Team Transfer Portal Index Score.

Similarly, 247Sports ranks Indiana's transfer portal class No. 15 in the nation and No. 1 in the Big Ten. It's important to recognize that Indiana's standing atop the Big Ten, according to 247Sports, is partially because it has more incoming transfers than any other school, thus boosting its score. But the talent is still there.“

You may also like … Jackson as IUs biggest transfer portal pickup.

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...tion-for-every-big-ten-football-team-in-2023/

Last edited:
They do need to show it but the staff needs to slow the transfer pace materially.
Is this true or is it the new college game with NIL and being able to transfer? I am afraid for IU and schools like us transferring in and out is a reality for us. Even the big name teams are taking transfers in and losing some to the transfer portal. Until the rules are changed, I don't think life will be much better for teams like IU.

Is this true or is it the new college game with NIL and being able to transfer? I am afraid for IU and schools like us transferring in and out is a reality for us. Even the big name teams are taking transfers in and losing some to the transfer portal. Until the rules are changed, I don't think life will be much better for teams like IU.
Absolutely, but not to the extent we have seen here

Bottom line it says that if the Hoosiers can't shore-up the weaknesses in the offensive line nothing else is really going to matter.

Reactions: midwolfe
Bottom line it says that if the Hoosiers can't shore-up the weaknesses in the offensive line nothing else is really going to matter.
This is a tired refrain, as IU has hired on of the best OL coaches in the country that can develop talent. IU OL has talent but it hadn't been developed, in fact players got worse the longer they were at IU. Coach Bostad will change that even though it may take a couple of years to see the real benefits of the coaching change. I have no doubt the OL will be better just as it was last year when coach Carey took over,

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
This is a tired refrain, as IU has hired on of the best OL coaches in the country that can develop talent. IU OL has talent but it hadn't been developed, in fact players got worse the longer they were at IU. Coach Bostad will change that even though it may take a couple of years to see the real benefits of the coaching change. I have no doubt the OL will be better just as it was last year when coach Carey took over,
I hope you are right that it happens as soon as this year. I also have a ton of confidence in coach Bostad. I expect to see a better squad this year collectively with the hiring and incoming talent to go along with the young talent that we had here. Big fan of the coaches finally making BOTH lines of scrimmage a priority! They both needed addressing in a bad way.

I hope you are right that it happens as soon as this year. I also have a ton of confidence in coach Bostad. I expect to see a better squad this year collectively with the hiring and incoming talent to go along with the young talent that we had here. Big fan of the coaches finally making BOTH lines of scrimmage a priority! They both needed addressing in a bad way.
Carrots are wonderful motivation for achievement and accomplishment. Coach Bostad's future grows even brighter if he can push the IU OL higher up the ranking chart. If the W/L makes a positive move too he'll be in line to earn a $m a year as a position coach. > OC, HC? His proving ground is in Bloomington. I'm ALL in on Bostad

Carrots are wonderful motivation for achievement and accomplishment. Coach Bostad's future grows even brighter if he can push the IU OL higher up the ranking chart. If the W/L makes a positive move too he'll be in line to earn a $m a year as a position coach. > OC, HC? His proving ground is in Bloomington. I'm ALL in on Bostad
If he’s as successful as you hope he is he will move on to a program that is serious about football. Good assistants don’t stay here.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If he’s as successful as you hope he is he will move on to a program that is serious about football. Good assistants don’t stay here.
I think people need to tap the brakes a bit on Coach Bostad and his ability to quickly change the OL performance. I’ve seen comments about BB being one of the best O line coaches in the country, even though most people knew nothing about the guy until we hired him. As I’ve pointed out previously, his most recent six year stint at Wisconsin included only one year as the O line coach, with the other five serving as the Inside Linebacker Coach (his heyday as their OL coach was over a decade ago). I love the hire, but there are a ton of moving pieces here, including the unsettled quarterback position and lack of depth at RB and TE. Just hope people don’t turn on BB when we have some growing pains up front, which seem inevitable.

Last edited:
Reactions: bang63
Could Bostad be the change that IU needs as he saw what happened in Wisconsin and stayed at school going forward in football. He may be the example IU's President needs to point to telling Dolson to improve the football program. IU has had too many football coaches needing changes to improve IUFB while the university and regents refused as they just got rid of the coaches.

Carey with the interim tag in a couple games proved IUs OL had been abysmally underachieving. Noticeable improvement is more than possible because the rung of the ladder Hiller had the OL stuck on was so low.
Seems like job one is to stabilize the patient and continue to bring in new better players. Some feel the stabilization has already happened.

The OL play has not allowed IU to begin to compete against the schedule they play.

I like seeing that we potentially got better through the portal, but I feel the key for the season is the major upgrade in the OL coaching staff. The OL last year was awful and seemed to be okay with being awful.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Carey with the interim tag in a couple games proved IUs OL had been abysmally underachieving. Noticeable improvement is more than possible because the rung of the ladder Hiller had the OL stuck on was so low.
An improved OL will will also help the defensive side of the ball. As the OL improves the offence will be on the field longer. This, the defense won't have to be out nearly as much.

An improved OL will will also help the defensive side of the ball. As the OL improves the offence will be on the field longer. This, the defense won't have to be out nearly as much.
I count coach Bostad as 3+ wins for the Hoosiers as you are right about the offense keeping the ball longer with less time on the field for the defense.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT