ADVERTISEMENT

In October 2023, Condé Nast Traveler readers named Chicago the "Best Big City in the U.S." for the seventh year in a row

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
Chicago's popularity with travelers and locals is due to many factors, including its food scene, culture, neighborhoods, and architecture. Chicago has many world-class restaurants, museums, theaters, and music venues, and is known for its stunning architecture, such as the Willis Tower, the Wrigley Building, and the Water Tower.

Once again!!!! That’s quite a streak!

Last edited:
Wasn't it just last summer mobs were going through the streets on Michigan Ave. destroying storefronts, cars, and beating people? I'm not making any plans for that and would not even consider putting my family at that kind of risk.

If you live there great, but I know a lot of people who left and are not going back. jus sayin

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey and twenty02
Wasn't it just last summer mobs were going through the streets on Michigan Ave. destroying storefronts, cars, and beating people? I'm not making any plans for that and would not even consider putting my family at that kind of risk.

If you live there great, but I know a lot of people who left and are not going back. jus sayin
link?

3 people were fatally shot in Indianapolis last week. Guess shouldn't go there either.

I love Chicago but Illinois politicians are awful. taxes taxes taxes

Last edited:
link?

3 people were fatally shot in Indianapolis last week. Guess shouldn't go there either.

link?

Are you mentally challenged? Seriously are you? You're still down playing this crap when its become reality? You're not worth my time. BUT HERE!

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/h...ing-car-windows-and-prompting-police-response

Are you mentally challenged? Seriously are you? You're still down playing this crap when its become reality? You're not worth my time. BUT HERE!

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/h...ing-car-windows-and-prompting-police-response

oh my gosh, must be the end of the world that I asked for a link. And would you like to connect the dots on how that constitutes downplaying anything?

Hopefully those kids were arrested but pretending it has anything to do with politics or that Chicago is unsafe to visit is nothing more than partisan hogwash.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
of course it's politics. you were asked above if you have a mental issue? do you? i mean it is in every thread you are involved. you simply refuse to learn. can you learn? If you can't process information or learn you shouldn't be posting or at least tell posters so you can be treated accordingly
but pretending it has anything to do with politics

Last edited:
DrHoops sharing this Conde Nast ranking has become somewhat of an annual tradition on this board.

Hard metrics on business investments, population growth, crime continue to be bad.

But hey! Some magazine's arbitrary ranking says Chicago is the best.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey and sluggo69
Chicago's popularity with travelers and locals is due to many factors, including its food scene, culture, neighborhoods, and architecture. Chicago has many world-class restaurants, museums, theaters, and music venues, and is known for its stunning architecture, such as the Willis Tower, the Wrigley Building, and the Water Tower.

Once again!!!! That’s quite a streak!

I’ll be in Chicago on June 2 to see the Reds play the Cubs on Lou Gehrig Day. I’ve always loved Chicago - it’s weird that you sharing an article with such a positive view of the place is so triggering for some.

I’ll be in Chicago on June 2 to see the Reds play the Cubs on Lou Gehrig Day. I’ve always loved Chicago - it’s weird that you sharing an article with such a positive view of the place is so triggering for some.
Hoops shared it bc he gets triggered by anything negative about the city. Illinois politicians are awful. They’re why people are leaving. Taxes. Don’t want to retire there etc. same is happening to ny and California. All great places with awful politics. That Calif has problems is ridiculous. Guns germs and steel ….

Reactions: ulrey and jet812
It goes against the propaganda saying dem-led cities are a wretched hive of scum and villainy

You were presented with facts re policy. Why do you write propaganda? A city can be great and be made worse by bad policies. San Fran? Are you able to understand that? These words? Do you know these words?
Guy is like a paid troll. Can't admit when he is wrong and has ZERO clue that most of us want it back to the way it was.

I would love for every one of the crap blue cities to have sanity again. We used to go to Chicago all the time and believe me between Michigan Ave shopping, restaurants, and cocktails we would blow through more cash than a large family going to Disney daily. It sucks, but I have no desire to go back.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Guys is like a paid troll. Can't admit when he is wrong and has ZERO clue that most of us want it back to the way it was.

I would love for every one of the crap blue cities to have sanity again. We used to go to Chicago all the time and believe me between Michigan Ave shopping, restaurants, and cocktails we would blow through more cash than a large family going to Disney daily. It sucks, but I have no desire to go back.
i'm there often and still love it. especially in the summer. it might be the best summer city in america. i have zero desire to go in the winter. i despise cold weather

You were presented with facts re policy. Why do you write propaganda? A city can be great and be made worse by bad policies. San Fran? Are you able to understand that? These words? Do you know these words?
sorry, your propaganda isn't facts. And I miss most of your posts because you're on ignore and only look when someone quotes you. I have a limit to the number of dumb posts I prefer to read and you usually pass that quota by yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
sorry, your propaganda isn't facts. And I miss most of your posts because you're on ignore and only look when someone quotes you. I have a limit to the number of dumb posts I prefer to read and you usually pass that quota by yourself.
You make a vapid post that is always wrong. Never supported. Get a response with data evidencing your error. Then move on only to do it again. That’s why many on the board believe you have a learning disability

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23

No

Hoops shared it bc he gets triggered by anything negative about the city. Illinois politicians are awful. They’re why people are leaving. Taxes. Don’t want to retire there etc. same is happening to ny and California. All great places with awful politics. That Calif has problems is ridiculous. Guns germs and steel ….
I don’t get “triggered”. It’s just a constant fight against nonsense information people assume and regurgitate. Murders were down 13% in 2023. Thus far in 2024, murders are down 28%. I have an on and off relationship with, by far, the hottest CPD officer I’ve ever seen. Why we’re “on and off” is because she’s a conservative. Which drives be bonkers. Anyway, she says things are getting WAY better.

Mayor Brandon Johnson looks like he’s going to keep the new Bears Stadium downtown. If he does that, he will be a hero. The Bears have $2 billion in private funding already to pay for it.

Now, imagine living in a place like, St. Louis. A city that is going the way of Detroit. The most pathetic part of the story is that Panera Bread has pulled the plug on St. Louis.

Meanwhile, downtown Chicago is the fastest growing downtown in all of America. time Out in 2019 named Chicago the best city in the WORLD..

So you can keep talking fact free nonsense. I will continue to counteract nonsense with facts…and I know facts are what trigger you.

So you can keep talking fact free nonsense.
LMAO facts? violent crime is at a 12 year high in chicago. learn some facts

and yes it would be unfortunate to live in the city of saint louis for those who do. just like it sucks for you living in washington park chicago. very, very dangerous. dying community

and we all know how triggered you get. one would think you run tourism or on the chamber of commerce.

oh and chicago's 2023 population decline is the third highest among metros. more facts

I don’t get “triggered”. It’s just a constant fight against nonsense information people assume and regurgitate. Murders were down 13% in 2023. Thus far in 2024, murders are down 28%. I have an on and off relationship with, by far, the hottest CPD officer I’ve ever seen. Why we’re “on and off” is because she’s a conservative. Which drives be bonkers. Anyway, she says things are getting WAY better.

Mayor Brandon Johnson looks like he’s going to keep the new Bears Stadium downtown. If he does that, he will be a hero. The Bears have $2 billion in private funding already to pay for it.

Now, imagine living in a place like, St. Louis. A city that is going the way of Detroit. The most pathetic part of the story is that Panera Bread has pulled the plug on St. Louis.

Meanwhile, downtown Chicago is the fastest growing downtown in all of America. time Out in 2019 named Chicago the best city in the WORLD..

So you can keep talking fact free nonsense. I will continue to counteract nonsense with facts…and I know facts are what trigger you.
meanwhile chicago, right between this street and that corner, is the fastest growing intersection in the world :)))) you're like steve martin at the carnival in the jerk describing what you can win

LMAO facts? violent crime is at a 12 year high in chicago. learn some facts

and yes it would be unfortunate to live in the city of saint louis for those who do. just like it sucks for you living in washington park chicago. very, very dangerous. dying community

and we all know how triggered you get. one would think you run tourism or on the chamber of commerce.

oh and chicago's 2023 population decline is the third highest among metros. more facts
Was going to say the same thing. A small drop in murders. LITERALLY every other crime category went up in 2023z

This DrHoops sure is a massive buffoon.

Don’t worry, just stay inside your house and you’ll be just fine. Not taking a risk to go to Chicago. Lol.

Most places will look good from the Condé Nast Traveler bubble from the front seat of Hoops’ AMG G Class or from a restaurant table where you didn’t order a crappy burger from a kiosk. But for the poor schmucks who use public transportation to go to work, are worried about open-air drugs, whose kids can’t read or do math at grade level, all while paying some the highest taxes in America, Chicago is a pit.

@DrHoops. Chicago is a great city. Its politicians are morons. People are leaving and there will eventually be consequences if people don’t wake up
Guy is so bad there’s a burgeoning effort to put in a recall mechanism. No Chicago mayor has ever been recalled.

But hey. He might float the Bears some taxpayer cash. What a hero!

Guy is like a paid troll. Can't admit when he is wrong and has ZERO clue that most of us want it back to the way it was.

I’d love for the rural states run by Republicans to not lead the country in poverty, meth and fentanyl use, incest and low education rates. But that’s not going to happen, is it? One of these days you’ll figure out there are different problems everywhere. Was in downtown Chicago for a lovely wedding just a couple weeks ago. Didn’t die.

• Sad
Reactions: Ohio Guy and jet812
Guy is so bad there’s a burgeoning effort to put in a recall mechanism. No Chicago mayor has ever been recalled.

But hey. He might float the Bears some taxpayer cash. What a hero!
why would taxpayers ever fund such things

I’d love for the rural states run by Republicans to not lead the country in poverty, meth and fentanyl use, incest and low education rates. But that’s not going to happen, is it? One of these days you’ll figure out there are different problems everywhere. Was in downtown Chicago for a lovely wedding just a couple weeks ago. Didn’t die.
You don’t need to go to rural states you can often go one county over. If you have a large black population and progressives in charge you will have problems. Crime. Flight. Etc. Progressives are social workers not administrators. We need to stop electing the AOC Cori bush types to run cities.

why would taxpayers ever fund such things
I’m not as opposed to it as others. Cities benefit greatly from these teams. And as long as it’s a ballot item, no issue.

As far as the Bears. I continue to believe they will not be here come 2030. They are using Chicago as a bargaining chip to get a better deal out of Arlington Heights. But there’s a better chance of them staying than there was a year ago.

Last edited:
I’m not as opposed to it as others. Cities benefit greatly from these teams. And as long as it’s a ballot item, no issue.

As far as the Bears. I continue to believe they will not be here come 2030. They are using Chicago as a bargaining chip to get a better deal out of Arlington Heights. But there’s a better chance of them staying the a there was a year ago.
it's an interesting topic. i haven't read up on in forever. it used to be the research said that a big market like chicago/la wouldn't suffer if a team left. hence they shouldn't be publicly funded. people would just spend money at other entertainment venues. with smaller markets it was worth it because it gave the impression of being a bigger city and would be helpful in trying to attract competing businesses from other similarly situated cities that didn't have a pro team. i don't know if that's still the case.

Wouldn't waste your time and energy. His opinion is fact

Kevin Warren and Ryan Poles are finally getting the Bears competitive, too. Warren is working with Mayor Johnson to keep the team in the city, and not to be dismissed, hired the food vendor that serves Comisky and the Bulls. Great stadium food. Poles will work his magic in Thursday’s NFL draft.

The same week that Governor Pritzker calls for new leadership at the CTA, Mayor Johnson appoints a Politically connected Pastor to the oversight board.

If your train is running late, just pray it gets there quicker.

• Haha
Reactions: jet812
You don’t need to go to rural states you can often go one county over. If you have a large black population and progressives in charge you will have problems. Crime. Flight. Etc. Progressives are social workers not administrators. We need to stop electing the AOC Cori bush types to run cities.
You didn’t address the problems I mentioned. We need to stop electing GOP who have no solutions to the horrible poverty and problems in rural and mostly southern states.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
You didn’t address the problems I mentioned. We need to stop electing GOP who have no solutions to the horrible poverty and problems in rural and mostly southern states.
Southern states are growing. Where do you think all these Dems are going. The south is the fastest growing region in the country

States losing population top 3 calif ny Il

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT