ADVERTISEMENT

In my opinion, Patrick Reed needs to be suspended by the PGA.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
There is no way that ball was plugged Saturday because it bounced at least once. If there was any doubt, he should have left it in the rough until the rules official came over to make a decision.

He is the most controversial player on the tour because the other golfers realize he cheats whenever possible.

There is no way that ball was plugged Saturday because it bounced at least once. If there was any doubt, he should have left it in the rough until the rules official came over to make a decision.

He is the most controversial player on the tour because the other golfers realize he cheats whenever possible.

I'm sure you want Rory suspended too, right?

I'm sure you want Rory suspended too, right?

Rory should have been suspended for peds a long time ago. He and Tiger used the same doctor in Canada, who later lost his license for giving illegal peds to patients.

He didn't break any rules yesterday.
Do you want him suspended for past transgressions?

In my opinion, all of the players on the PGA Tour need to be tested regularly for illegal drugs such as peds and other drugs.

I don’t see what the fuss is here. I agree that this is more about his reputation and past transgressions.

He’s been a cheater for years, which is common knowledge on tour. He also didn’t break any rules here.

All of this will catch up to him eventually, though. He’s gonna continue to be watched like a hawk and he’ll get caught one of these days.

They are tested and have been for a few years now.

How did Tiger get away with it? He used to go to the doctor in Canada for peds and then later the doctor came down to Florida to provide him with peds. I read it, so I think it's true.

I would as well. Unreal talent. Sometimes I feel he's afraid of the moment.
Yeah, I wonder about that as well. With his talent, I'd have expected more titles. I hope he doesn't become the next Matt Kuchar. Guy always seems to be in contention, but rarely wins and I feel like it's because he rarely goes for the win.

Yeah, I wonder about that as well. With his talent, I'd have expected more titles. I hope he doesn't become the next Matt Kuchar. Guy always seems to be in contention, but rarely wins and I feel like it's because he rarely goes for the win.
He had 2-three putts and at least one penalty shot on the back nine yesterday. Hard to win like that. On a better note, he's a solid top 10 bet. I cashed a good number on he and Palmer yesterday. It was needed after the bloodbath I had on the previous 2 tournaments.

Please provide a link.
Hey...

He READ it, so it MUST be true.

BatBoy_01_t800.jpg

Reactions: birdforbogey
Had a thought this Morning. When I was growing up, we had a small set of 1930's era clubs in the Garage. I believe it was a Putter, 2 Irons and 2 Woods. They all had the old stiff hickory shafts and weren't as grooved or had the hitting area of today's clubs. I never used them in a Round, but hit around with them in a field.
Suppose late in the season when all the Yearly Rankings have been determined, maybe they can have one Tournament where they force the Players to play with 5 clubs and these types of Clubs from that era if you can find them or have them made.
Would be interesting to see what Players who average 325 yards per drive could do with more primitive equipment.

PGA's response to Reed:

"It was reasonable for both players to conclude -- based on the fact that they did not see the ball land, but given the lie of the ball in soft course conditions -- that they proceed as the rule allows for a potential embedded ball," the Tour said in a statement. "They marked, lifted and assessed the situation to determine if the ball was embedded.

"Patrick went one step further and called in a rules official to be sure his assessment would not be questioned (although this step is not required). Both players took proper relief under the Rule 16/3. The committee is comfortable with how both players proceeded given the fact that they used the evidence they had at the time."

So tell me what he should be suspended for? and please be specific.

As for Tiger, I too would like to see the link that he definitely used steroids. He was golf's biggest proponent in bringing drug testing to the tour, and passed every single test.

Over the last 20 years or so, I have seen nobody work as hard as Tiger in getting his body into world class shape. His workouts have been well-documented, as opposed to fat-assed Phil, who was fat with blubber most of his career, and is probably one of the most under-achieving golfers of all time, relative to his God-given talent.

Reactions: outside shooter
Had a thought this Morning. When I was growing up, we had a small set of 1930's era clubs in the Garage. I believe it was a Putter, 2 Irons and 2 Woods. They all had the old stiff hickory shafts and weren't as grooved or had the hitting area of today's clubs. I never used them in a Round, but hit around with them in a field.
Suppose late in the season when all the Yearly Rankings have been determined, maybe they can have one Tournament where they force the Players to play with 5 clubs and these types of Clubs from that era if you can find them or have them made.
Would be interesting to see what Players who average 325 yards per drive could do with more primitive equipment.
New rules concerning clubs and golf balls.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/golfs-governing-bodies-steps-tackle-152214434.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
PGA's response to Reed:

"It was reasonable for both players to conclude -- based on the fact that they did not see the ball land, but given the lie of the ball in soft course conditions -- that they proceed as the rule allows for a potential embedded ball," the Tour said in a statement. "They marked, lifted and assessed the situation to determine if the ball was embedded.

"Patrick went one step further and called in a rules official to be sure his assessment would not be questioned (although this step is not required). Both players took proper relief under the Rule 16/3. The committee is comfortable with how both players proceeded given the fact that they used the evidence they had at the time."

As for Tiger, I too would like to see the link that he definitely used steroids. He was golf's biggest proponent in bringing drug testing to the tour, and passed every single test.

Over the last 20 years or so, I have seen nobody work as hard as Tiger in getting his body into world class shape. His workouts have been well-documented, as opposed to fat-assed Phil, who was fat with blubber most of his career, and is probably one of the most under-achieving golfers of all time, relative to his God-given talent.

i don't buy for 2 seconds that Reed's ball was embedded after bouncing, then landing, in thick grass, and neither did the announcers.

yes, Reed was allowed to pick up the ball to inspect whether it was embedded, but imo picking it up isn't where the cheating occurred, but rather in the finger pocking of the ground post picking it up.

Reed could have brought in an official or playing partner to observe the situation when he picked up the ball as is usually the custom in such matters, but didn't.

that said, on iirc the very next hole, Reed hit a shot into the green side trap and the ball fully embedded in the sand.

i heard one of the announcers comment somewhat under his breath, "i wonder if the golf gods are watching", implying he thought Reed had been less than totally kosher on the previous hole.

somewhere no doubt Dan Dakich was thinking, "the ball knows".

Reactions: PhishPhan682

i too have thought it would be interesting to see one tourney a yr played not so much with 30s era equipment, but with 1960s era clubs and balls.

the difference in the irons would be not all that great, but with the "woods" and the balls, the difference would be much greater.

the oversized titanium drivers specifically have moved the game to the advantage of the power players over the skilled players, as the big face and larger sweet spot require less skill to hit that the old persimmon wood, and the light titanium oversized head and graphite composition shafts while helping all players to more distance, help the power players to more distance more so than the non power hitters.

i once heard Justin Leonard, who is of the era of players who spanned the tech evolution from 50s-60s-70s equipment to today's equipment, discussing the impact in a long form playing lesson interview.

he said with persimmon and wound balata ball era equipment, that the big hitters on tour could regularly out drive him maybe 20 yards.

but after the equipment evolution both club and ball, that the exact same guys who out drove him 20 yds before, now where out driving him 30 or 40 yds with the new balls and clubs.

and the new balls no doubt had an effect on how much farther the big hitters out hit skill players with their irons as well, even if the irons themselves hadn't changed all that much relative to woods.

and the newer balls while longer, don't spin as much either, so they don't hook or slice as much, so they also benefit the power player over the skill player to some degree.

Nicklaus used to say he thought the new balls, (i'll assume the Pro V1 high quality solid type ball), had as much impact on distance as the new drivers, but then he was in the club equipment business at the time and not so much the ball business, so he did have skin in the game on the club side but not the ball side.

no doubt the over sized composite racquets in tennis have benefited the power players as well, and benefited power over skill in tennis as well.

basketball has benefited one type of player over another as well, but did it with rule and officiating changes rather than equipment changes.

the huge difference in how traveling and double dribble are now officiated as opposed to 40 yrs ago has greatly benefited the larger, more athletic, less skilled, player, who had trouble getting minutes 40 yrs ago due to his constantly being called for floor violations due to his poorer ball handling ability, to now escape the drawbacks of his poor ball handling as a result of both relaxing of the ball handling rules themselves, and how they are more laxly officiated as well.

these rule changes and the difference in how rules were officiated quickly followed not so coincidentally imo, the birth of ESPN into the nation's homes, and ESPN's complete love affair with the dunk.

Last edited:

the equipment evolution of the last 30 yrs has been one of benefiting the equipment manufacturers at the expense of the courses themselves, and that's no doubt because the equipment guys were funding tv time, print adds, and player hat and bag billboards, and not so much the course owners doing so.

that said, equipment has been evolving since the first Scot hit a ball with a stick into a hole, and trying to limit the impact isn't new.

the 460cc max did so, as did the COR limits. (though too little too late with both).

as to the Bryson DeChambeau effect, i oppose being too quick on letting him impact rule making.

as far as BD is hitting it, everyone points to his equipment and body, and totally doesn't notice that he's also taking literally twice as hard a cut at the ball as he used to. (not by added strength, but added exertion).

imo a lot of his added distance is just his swinging much much harder than he used to.

that all said, i'm not at all convinced that his added distance has made him anymore competitive than he was prior to his physical, equipment, and swing exertion, changes, and while he did have a win in the Open, i really don't see his overall play and ranking as being any different than normal progression for a young player of his ability.

yes, he's very good, but he was very good and an elite player before all this as well.

on a side note, don't be too quick to try and regulate against a single player, just because a player takes a different approach.

i always thought the powers that be were very unfair to Sam Sneed in making his croquet putting stance illegal, as there was no evidence it would change the game or gave him an unfair advantage.

it just seemed like an attack on one player.

let's not knee jerk legislate against DeChambeau to quickly either, since to date we have no evidence that any of his changes have made him any better player today than he would be without any of the changes he's made.

on another side note relating to PEDs, the PED industry has learned to somewhat circumvent regs and legislation to some degree.

that said, with Tiger, Rory, and Bryson, while all transformed their bodies, neither Tiger nor Rory hit it so much as one inch farther or better after their build ups, or were better players, and again, i think Bryson only hits it farther due to swinging twice as hard, lower driver loft, and longer shaft length, and all three of those come with down sides as well, which is why i don't think he is any better player today than he was already headed to being, prior to any of those changes.

Last edited:
the equipment evolution of the last 30 yrs has been one of benefiting the equipment manufacturers at the expense of the courses themselves, and that's no doubt because the equipment guys were funding tv time, print adds, and player hat and bag billboards, and not so much the course owners doing so.

that said, equipment has been evolving since the first Scot hit a ball with a stick into a hole, and trying to limit the impact isn't new.

the 460cc max did so, as did the COR limits. (though too little too late with both).

as to the Bryson DeChambeau effect, i oppose being too quick on letting him impact rule making.

as far as BD is hitting it, everyone points to his equipment and body, and totally doesn't notice that he's also taking literally twice as hard a cut at the ball as he used to. (not by added strength, but added exertion).

imo a lot of his added distance is just his swinging much much harder than he used to.

that all said, i'm not at all convinced that his added distance has made him anymore competitive than he was prior to his physical, equipment, and swing exertion, changes, and while he did have a win in the Open, i really don't see his overall play and ranking as being any different than normal progression for a young player of his ability.

yes, he's very good, but he was very good and an elite player before all this as well.

on a side note, don't be too quick to try and regulate against a single player, just because a player takes a different approach.

i always thought the powers that be were very unfair to Sam Sneed in making his croquet putting stance illegal, as there was no evidence it would change the game or gave him an unfair advantage.

it just seemed like an attack on one player.

let's not knee jerk legislate against DeChambeau to quickly either, since to date we have no evidence that any of his changes have made him any better player today than he would be without any of the changes he's made.

on another side note relating to PEDs, the PED industry has learned to somewhat circumvent regs and legislation to some degree.

that said, with Tiger, Rory, and Bryson, while all transformed their bodies, neither Tiger nor Rory hit it one inch farther or better after their build ups, and again, i think Bryson only hits it farther due to swinging twice as hard, lower driver loft, and longer shaft length, and all three of those come with down sides as well, which is why i don't think he is any better player today than he was already headed to being prior to any of those changes.
If you put the spin back in the golf ball then swinging harder comes with way more risk.
We can't just keep building golf courses bigger. We are running out of acres.

If you put the spin back in the golf ball then swinging harder comes with way more risk.
We can't just keep building golf courses bigger. We are running out of acres.

totally agree.

you don't see MLB going to oversized titanium bats and solid 3 and 4 piece non wound balls, because the powers that be are the stadium/team owners, not equipment manufacturers.

and what net gain is there, if the course guys just have to add 2,000 - 4,000 plus yds to the course to offset equipment tech gains.

yes, equipment has always advanced in golf, but real estate is a much bigger issue today than 50 or 100 or 200 yrs ago, so time for some brakes to be applied.

PGA's response to Reed:

All you need to do is google it. I did and it said Patrick was thrown off his college golf team for cheating and stealing from his teammates. There also are many other interesting things about him. It also said the other golfers were "pissed off" regarding Patrick winning this past weekend.

As for Tiger, google about him using peds. He used the same doctor from Canada that ARod used for his peds. I think you will find it fairly convincing that Tiger used peds. In my opinion, that is why he is having so many joint problems.

All you need to do is google it. I did and it said Patrick was thrown off his college golf team for cheating and stealing from his teammates. There also are many other interesting things about him. It also said the other golfers were "pissed off" regarding Patrick winning this past weekend.

As for Tiger, google about him using peds. He used the same doctor from Canada that ARod used for his peds. I think you will find it fairly convincing that Tiger used peds. In my opinion, that is why he is having so many joint problems.

totally agree.

you don't see MLB going to oversized titanium bats and solid 3 and 4 piece non wound balls, because the powers that be are the stadium/team owners, not equipment manufacturers.

and what net gain is there, if the course guys just have to add 2,000 - 4,000 plus yds to the course to offset equipment tech gains.

yes, equipment has always advanced in golf, but real estate is a much bigger issue today than 50 or 100 or 200 yrs ago, so time for some brakes to be applied.

It’s like the Indy 500. There’s only so fast you can go around a 2.5 mile track before the mystique of speed is replaced by the terror of horrible death.

At some point golf has to accept the fact they’ve reached critical mass as it relates to equipment. I agree with Spartan. Bring back wound balls or some other ball technology that mutes the club’s potential.

Reactions: Spartans9312
To me, the question is - is a good golfer one who can just simply over power a golf course by hitting it over and past any hazard, or one who can work his shot to give him the best look into the green? In my opinion, it's the latter, but I'm a guy who can do neither, so what do I know?

I do know this - golf courses cost millions to build, and as has been said before, you can't just keep making them longer. The game is more than length. I say limit the equipment for the pro tournaments, and see what happens.

And now....a rant.

DeChamfaux is a fraud. Screw that guy right up his ass, with a red hot poker. Why? Just because I don't like him, and he cost me a winning lineup on DK a while back when he shit the bed. But, nonetheless, screw him. Taking five minutes to line up a four foot putt, all the while looking at a greens book that gives him the contour/speed of the green? Screw that guy - he's what's wrong with golf.

Plus, I don't like his hat.

That is all. Carry on.

Per yahoo sports, a volunteer admits that Rory's ball was embedded because he (the volunteer) accidentally stepped on it

I have no direct knowledge of this, but it is just a thought to throw out. In this day and age with TV Coverage, replay and Internet access, about the only thing we don't see is if a Player farted Upwind or Downwind. If you go back to the 50's and 60's you didn't see as much and never noticed these things. I also don't remember a Rules Official following or available to each Group, and of course overall Media Coverage wasn't what it is today. I wonder if there were several Players in that era who had a reputation among their Competitors for "Bending The Rules" but we never heard about it. Maybe the Players had an internal mechanism to deal with this.

Reactions: Hoops Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT