ADVERTISEMENT

Immunity decision dropped!

For Pete’s sake. The immunity decision is pretty much the same for everyone from county commissioners to federal judges.
I'm pretty sure, for example, if congressmen passed a law that allowed Seal Team 6 to murder political opponents, they could not be criminally charged for drafting and voting for that law, because of legislative immunity.

I'm pretty sure, for example, if congressmen passed a law that allowed Seal Team 6 to murder political opponents, they could not be criminally charged for drafting and voting for that law, because of legislative immunity.
Which is as it should be. Legislative immunity is a good thing, because our representatives should not fear repercussions for debating and enacting laws. But legislative action and executive action are not analogous, and there's very likely a reason the founders enshrined some level of legislative immunity into the text of the Constitution, while doing no such thing for the President.

Well, if you’ve listened to leftist nuttery today, Biden is now a king, with absolute immunity and will be announcing an invasion of Mar a Lago, with the intent to level it.

The left has lost its mind.
Obama actually did that.

They really are crazier than even I thought.

Last edited:
By the way, he could be "touched"--he could be impeached and removed.
Also, as long as we're talking about a hypothetical world in which the President decides to use his new immunity in the worst possible way...do you really expect Congress to vote on the record to impeach and remove a President who has already shown his willingness to use military assets to eliminate political rivals?

Can you imagine the cabinet voting to invoke the 25th against such a President?

Eh? I don’t get the point.

Edit. Such a law would be void whether passed by congress or a state legislature.

Also, as long as we're talking about a hypothetical world in which the President decides to use his new immunity in the worst possible way...do you really expect Congress to vote on the record to impeach and remove a President who has already shown his willingness to use military assets to eliminate political rivals?

Can you imagine the cabinet voting to invoke the 25th against such a President?
It wouldn't happen in our country, Goat. The people carrying out his orders would be subject to murder trials in a court martial. And they'd know it. If we reach the point where they wouldn't know it or we have a society that produces soldiers who would follow their president's blatantly illegal orders in such a way, we have much bigger problems--i.e. a society that can't sustain a democratic republic anyway.

Eh? I don’t get the point.
The article you were responding to said in the opening paragraph that the President was now put on such a higher plane than Congress because his immunity was so much more powerful. I'm pointing out that's not true w/r/t the egregious example being discussed.

It wouldn't happen in our country, Goat. The people carrying out his orders would be subject to murder trials in a court martial. And they'd know it. If we reach the point where they wouldn't know it or we have a society that produces soldiers who would follow their president's blatantly illegal orders in such a way, we have much bigger problems--i.e. a society that can't sustain a democratic republic anyway.
And ultimately, that's more important, because it's not really the text of the Constitution, but the strength of the resolve of the people to submit to the rule of law, that protects democracy. Still, if the latter were to ever erode, the most likely place to start would probably be by eroding the former.

In other words, I agree with you that it won't happen here. But I also think "it won't happen here" is a frighteningly weak argument.

The article you were responding to said in the opening paragraph that the President was now put on such a higher plane than Congress because his immunity was so much more powerful. I'm pointing out that's not true w/r/t the egregious example being discussed.
As I mentioned above, I think the qualitative difference between legislative action and executive action does, in fact, make this immunity much more powerful.

It can't happen here is a weaker force of nature than gravity. I would theorize a lot of things happen in places they cannot.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC!

Reactions: Hoosier in Mad Town

Not if Trump -- as CIC -- puts the kibosh to to them.

I think it's actually stronger than we give it credit. Most of the way we act has nothing to do with formal law.

Was it strong enough to prevent the Civil War?

How many people would it take? I am not sure it would require as many active participants as you might think. With the way everyone has their own news source, I can see a decent sized cabal forming that believe they are the true patriots

I asked before once, how many divisions does the Supreme Court have?

Some of the envelope pushing we see now would not happen before. It isn't so crazy for people who go right up to the line to actually cross over.

I don’t think “powerful” is the right word. Executive immunity will be more comprehensive simply because the executive department make more final decisions than the legislative department.

But the pardon is.

DBM's legion of Twitter people are convinced paying to cover up an affair is an official act. If that is, taking a bribe is.
A bribe generally requires proof of a quid pro quo, but SCOTUS says you cannot look at President’s motives in performing an official act.

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT