ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois/IU Prediction Thread

Illinois 24
Indiana 23

In a game that seems very even the edge could go to Illinois since they've had a week to iron out some wrinkles.

PSYCH! In the last five years Illinois was 19-38...playing in the Big Ten WEST. During that same period Indiana was 26-31.

Orange and blue is ugly, Illinois corn is trash, and Lincoln lived in Indiana first. Hoosiers all d--n day!

Real Block I - 27
Fake Block I - 24

Illinois could’ve scored 50+ and Chase Brown could’ve had 300+ yards rushing vs Wyoming had “that d-bag” chose to “run it up.”
Bielema ran the offense, never blitzed and had the third stringers in by the end of the 3rd quarter last week.

Are you still butthurt about something he did nearly 20 years ago?!?

Forgive us … We must have missed Bielma’s apology to Coach Lynch.

It was a classless act, totally lacking in sportsmanship toward a fellow competitor and Big Ten coach.

Yes, we have a long memory (15 years worth). He had to eat some humble pie in his flameout at Arkansas. Hopefully that taught him some humility.

He’ll receive no quarter from us unless he’s man enough to own his mistake.

Hoosiers 31
The Bielmas 21

Last edited:
The D is made up of solid veterans so I don't see UI running it up! Lets hope Shivers and the WR corp is better than what we had last year....I'm putting this on O-line play and QB performance.
Agree about the D.

It’s cliche, but it’s all about QB & OL play. The WR & RBs last year weren’t world beaters but they were serviceable enough to win games. But QB and OL play was just bad across the board. Let’s just cross fingers that it was an OC issue more than talent. And I do actually believe that to be the case because I thought Sheridan’s home run swing offense was bad in 2020. Make no mistake, it scored a lot of points. But deep shots and 50/50 passes are no way to win a ballgame. Too much feast/famine. If Bell can put together a minimally competent offense we’ll be fine.

Illinois 24
Indiana 27

Go Hoosiers!
I think both teams will prove to be too inept on both sides of the line for this to be a high-scoring game.

So, unfortunately, 10-7, Illinois.

Have seen this too many times over the decades.

Agree about the D.

It’s cliche, but it’s all about QB & OL play. The WR & RBs last year weren’t world beaters but they were serviceable enough to win games. But QB and OL play was just bad across the board. Let’s just cross fingers that it was an OC issue more than talent. And I do actually believe that to be the case because I thought Sheridan’s home run swing offense was bad in 2020. Make no mistake, it scored a lot of points. But deep shots and 50/50 passes are no way to win a ballgame. Too much feast/famine. If Bell can put together a minimally competent offense we’ll be fine.
Yes, this game is transfixed on what Walt B. devises for and adjusts to the Illinois defense.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I wouldn't bet on this game due to the question marks about the Hoosiers. Although Bielma's a jerk he's a better coach than Allen. UI has a game under their belt which is a huge advantage so the edge should go to Illinois. Not so fast! Hoosiers are at home and I just have a feeling that we'll pull out a close one.
IU 20
UI 17

My only prediction is that those of you that believe IU is going to score 27 plus points off the Illinois defense have no idea how strong our defense is. This is not the same Illinois program you guys saw the last time we played you. Much more disciplined and organized, with a coordinator that knows how to scheme, and players that have bought into it.

My prediction is that after 9 months of watching press releases, coaching changes, transfers, etc we will finally be able to watch a game and see if:

- OL play, either because of scheme or skill can get the job done
- Was last years D performance the aberration and do we return to 2019 performance
- Can whoever is playing QB1 do so competently and without looking over their shoulder at every mistake?

Bottom line I have absolutely no idea but since I bet a bottle of Whiskey on IU to win I will guess 22-17 IU

My only prediction is that those of you that believe IU is going to score 27 plus points off the Illinois defense have no idea how strong our defense is. This is not the same Illinois program you guys saw the last time we played you. Much more disciplined and organized, with a coordinator that knows how to scheme, and players that have bought into it.
My experience is what you have one year might not happen the next. Not only personnel changes occur but other Teams learn how to make adjustments and expose weaknesses.

Reactions: 76-1
While I give Illinois the early edge having played a game, IU has more talent and speed than the Cowboys. The Illini couldn’t put back to back games together last year so if that trend continues then advantage IU. IU got caught up in the hype last season and got punched in the mouth early and often. They won’t fall into that trap this year.

Close game early and think IU pulls away at the end.

What I think I know:

* IU was very bad at the end of last year.
* Illinois is building the foundation of a solid program
* Illinois has a great back in Brown
* Illinois is vulnerable on interior offensive line and QB has a limited ceiling
* IU has out recruited Illinois last 4 years and has superior athletes
* IU defense could potentially start *ALL* Seniors with experience
* Best player on field is Tiawan Mullen
* IU defensive will be attacking with Allen coordinating
* IU QB play can't be worse than last year
* IU special teams much better than Illini's
* Bielema's UW team threw 2 late TD's to score 83 points in ultimate disrespect move on IU program

Prediction: IU D physically imposes their will on Illini. 27-13 Final, but game doesn't feel close by mid 2nd quarter. IU kneels at Illini 2 yard line to run out clock.

I'm still in recovery mode from last season's collapse. It's almost like I acquired covid and have permanent damage. Still think we need an experienced head coach to get us to the next level with consistency. Think this season is maybe a tad better than last year which isn't saying much. Should be a close game with plenty of punts. Hope I'm wrong but I say Illinois wins 20-13 in OT.

Reactions: bang63
Bielema’s never lost to Indiana (and except for a 31-28 heartbreaker, the games haven’t been close). I can’t expect that to change.

ILL 35, IND 6.
Those IU teams had far less talent than Wisconsin.

If we lose to Illinois by 29, Bret Bielema isn't the problem.

Those IU teams had far less talent than Wisconsin.

If we lose to Illinois by 29, Bret Bielema isn't the problem.
I get that. But Bielema coached a Lovie Smith-recruited team to two more B1G wins than 2020, and beat two teams who we lost to a year ago (PSU and MINN).

So it seems like ILL has more talent and they're better coached than previous years. Can IND counter, especially after the major step back (SALUTE!) they endured?

Until I see otherwise, I can't give us the benefit of the doubt.

IU 27-UI 24. IU will need a turnover to win. I think with going back to the 2020 defense(zone) they will get pressure from zone blitzes all day. Can the Offense run the ball? IU has quickness and depth at the safety spots. On the other side can IU O-line keep up with an uptempo offense?

Reactions: TomEric4756
IU 27-UI 24. IU will need a turnover to win. I think with going back to the 2020 defense(zone) they will get pressure from zone blitzes all day. Can the Offense run the ball? IU has quickness and depth at the safety spots. On the other side can IU O-line keep up with an uptempo offense?
Bell went to Wellman and asked for a lighter O line. We’ll see if it makes a difference.

Bielima took every Wisconsin team that he coached to a bowl game. Every prediction post here sees the Hoosiers as an improved team this year but at the same time most see Illinois as essentially the same team as last year.

I have eagerly been looking forward to this game since halftime of the Iowa game.

Honestly think it's going to come down to how quick IU can establish an offensive identity. New OC, new system, new QB (sounds like Bazelak starting) may take awhile to get in rhythm. We know what Illinois is going to do, they're going to line up and try and play smash mouth football. Tommy DeVito is nothing to brag home about and I trust our secondary to play solid man coverage that allows for IU to stack the box. Key for IU is forcing Illinois into 3rd and long. If Illinois is able to live in 3rd and short land all night, it could be a problem. IU just needs to take care of the ball and convert in the red zone.

I anticipate a low scoring game that isn't going to resemble a pretty football game. I'll take IU as the victors 20-14.

Bielima took every Wisconsin team that he coached to a bowl game. Every prediction post here sees the Hoosiers as an improved team this year but at the same time most see Illinois as essentially the same team as last year.

I have eagerly been looking forward to this game since halftime of the Iowa game.
I knew expectations last year were totally out of proportion, but the Iowa game was such a splash of cold water.

Reactions: It Will Do
I have kept away from the IU football board this offseason in hopes of leaving last year as a distant memory. I have no idea what our offense is going to look like, we have a ton of upper class talent on both sides, and I want Tom Allen to succeed. Other than that, I look forward to seeing if the players are committed through the adversity of the game tonight, or if they look lost and fold.

Reactions: TomEric4756
When your avatar is a Cubs emblem, you know that you’ve endured a life of being beat up, worn down and spit out. Combine that with IU sports (football and basketball) and…..well….you damn near may be on suicide watch. That’s a brutal combination right there, folks!

When your avatar is a Cubs emblem, you know that you’ve endured a life of being beat up, worn down and spit out. Combine that with IU sports (football and basketball) and…..well….you damn near may be on suicide watch. That’s a brutal combination right there, folks!
It’s worse than that. I’m also a Bears fan.

Although the only Super Bowl they ever won I was right on campus. And I had to attend an IU Sing meeting that night (representing Willkie). Who schedules an IU Sing meeting on Super Bowl Sunday??!!

And in a driving snowstorm to boot.

It’s worse than that. I’m also a Bears fan.

Although the only Super Bowl they ever won I was right on campus. And I had to attend an IU Sing meeting that night (representing Willkie). Who schedules an IU Sing meeting on Super Bowl Sunday??!!

And in a driving snowstorm to boot.
What a destiny.

Reactions: SRIV94
I knew expectations last year were totally out of proportion, but the Iowa game was such a splash of cold water.
The first few minutes of the iowa game have to rank up there with some of the worst performances relative to hype in sports. Couldn't believe it. Only thing else I remember that bad was when the broncos were in the super bowl with manning and they hiked the first snap over his head for a safety. Both teams just totally unprepared to play.

Like Painter teams in the S16.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT