ADVERTISEMENT

If we miss March Madness because of this. Cut those players

I’m not counting them out of the tournament at this moment in time. I want to see how they respond to this discipline. Some will improve and others may quit.

Reactions: rocketo
You're delusional but beyond certifiable if you think IU was sniffing 1st place this year 🤣
Agreed. I mean we could probably be 9-4 right now but we would still of likely lost 8 games total or even with 7 losses we are not winning the big ten.First place big ten teams do not get run out of their own building twice by close to twenty points.

That was Blab and the Four Freshman, which happened because Knight wanted to protest the NCAA's suspension of Alford for allowing his image to appear on a campus fundraising calendar (wearing more clothes than a typical basketball uniform exposes). So, Knight benched a lot of players on a nationally-ranked team to dramatize the point.

The fact that Knight chose this particular game (a national telecast where the whole world would see his protest) is of course part of the story -- the commentators couldn't really say much about the game without also talking about the NCAA's suspension.

But then again, the NCAA is all-smart, right?
Nope. The calendar affair happened the next year. RMK was pissed at the leadership of the upperclassmen and benched them for the Illinois game.

You mean like the time he benched the starters at Minn, lost by a huge number and it cost the team a #1 seed???
That wasn't a disciplinary benching. They were getting pounded right off the bat. Knowing the game was lost, RMK rested the main guys in preparation for a tough upcoming stretch. Btw, that team had no shot at a one seed. Maybe you're thinking of the 89 game at Iowa . Last game of the year, BIG championship locked up, so RMK rested most everyone.

Woody must get a culture established. I think the mercenary transfer system hurts that process. I don’t want to see a bunch of “the grass is greener” dudes slide into our starting line up over kids who inked out of HS. I know Woody needed PG help to make the dance. But I note upperclassman Xavier was amongst the knuckleheads as was Durr. I’m not certain anyone on the roster is the type of leader we need or this crap doesn’t happen this late in a season.

Some folks here need to get off the ledge. Yeah the kids, yes they are still kids particularly Bates and Lander, screwed up. They got caught and got held accountable. Now, they have a choice to either rededicate themselves and work really hard to make up for their mistake (I'd make them run the steps at SSAH a bunch of times if I was coach) and grow up or pout and act like a bunch of brats that they've already indicated they are. X, in particular, is going to come into some really tough "love" from Woodson I would gues because the PG is such an important leadership position on a team and X failed badly.

A lot of coaches try to teach teams how to deal with adversity in different ways. Knight always made the practices typically harder than even most games. Then there were the almost constant head games he played. Woodson saw all of that and he will do things his own way, but he will not sacrifice the "team" and he will not sacrifice high standards and expectations. This was by far the right move for him and the program.

Woodson is going to get the measure of this "team" by how they react and respond to this. Who knows, maybe they come back and kick MSU's ..s. Remember this team absolutely failed in every aspect in the second half of the biggest game of the season on Saturday. Everything was bad including effort.

Wait and see what happens. While I love seeing Galloway's effort every game, it also points out how deficient a lot of the other players are in effort. Why don't they all play like Galloway? Maybe Woodson is sending a bunch of messages beyond the obvious ones which are clearly life lessons to a bunch of guys who need to grow up and be less selfish (because what they did was clearly selfish).

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
That wasn't a disciplinary benching. They were getting pounded right off the bat. Knowing the game was lost, RMK rested the main guys in preparation for a tough upcoming stretch. Btw, that team had no shot at a one seed. Maybe you're thinking of the 89 game at Iowa . Last game of the year, BIG championship locked up, so RMK rested most everyone.
I would tend to disagree with that. I think RMK was sending a message with the MN benching: play hard or you'll be on the bench. I've always felt that was the primary message. Maybe there was a secondary benefit, but that's the message I always felt was being conveyed and how I think most everyone, team included saw it. Did you hear RMK say otherwise? 20 yo's typically don't need a ton of rest for games more than 48 hours out.

I would tend to disagree with that. I think RMK was sending a message with the MN benching: play hard or you'll be on the bench. I've always felt that was the primary message. Maybe there was a secondary benefit, but that's the message I always felt was being conveyed and how I think most everyone, team included saw it. Did you hear RMK say otherwise? 20 yo's typically don't need a ton of rest for games more than 48 hours out.
He commented on that game in his autobiography. He never made any mention about a discipline issue. I'm sure he was trying to make a point alongside resting players. His quote was don't be afraid to lose.

Woody must get a culture established. I think the mercenary transfer system hurts that process. I don’t want to see a bunch of “the grass is greener” dudes slide into our starting line up over kids who inked out of HS. I know Woody needed PG help to make the dance. But I note upperclassman Xavier was amongst the knuckleheads as was Durr. I’m not certain anyone on the roster is the type of leader we need or this crap doesn’t happen this late in a season.
Agreed on the portal and more mercenary aspect of the sport.

it makes getting better (with new players) more quickly easier, but it really makes it difficult to establish or change a culture.

Reactions: Indyhorn
I do not know what they did but I am of the opinion Durr and Stewart should already be off the team. Send a messsage and send it loud that you do not get third chances.

Reactions: Mr.IU and Indyhorn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT