ADVERTISEMENT

If we miss March Madness because of this. Cut those players

Not suspending 5 guys a whole game for missing curfew.
If it was something that had been brewing he might have. At this point we have no clue. Only thing we know is it’s likely something all 5 were together doing.

Heck, at this point do we know it was just this game? If it was weed, maybe they’ll sit more games?

RMK benched people all the time. My point was RMK had a track record of winning, and Woody hasn't won s*** yet. IU needs to go the NCAA this year, and they would have been 2 games out of 1st place with a win today. I don't think this coach and program can afford to piss away winnable BT games: I'm certainly sick of it.
You saying Woodson pissed this game away?

Run the hell out of them at practice. If he doesn't want a player back next year, yank his scholarship. There is more than one way to discipline kids. PU is playing with a kid who recently got a DUI conviction.

We've lost plenty the past 4-5 years. I may change my mind if I figure out what the kids did. But, I'd rather start winning ball games, especially winnable games against NW.
Cannot sacrifice culture if you want to build a long term winning program. If Woody thinks what they did deserves a suspension, that is all we need to know.

Cannot sacrifice culture if you want to build a long term winning program. If Woody thinks what they did deserves a suspension, that is all we need to know.
I hope he knows what he is doing because IU could have been 2 games out of 1st place.

I hope he knows what he is doing because IU could have been 2 games out of 1st place.
Listen to his press conference after the game. He knows what he is doing and I would have done the same. He is absolutely on target with his stance here. Have to take a big picture approach here. Especially at this point in time so early in his tenure. But still cannot sacrifice your beliefs for the sake of short term gains. It will lead to long term failure.

I'm saying the program pissed this game away, including Woody. We don't lose this game with a full team.
I mean true we would have won. But this is starting to look again like a long term rebuild. Only hope it works this time.

Listen to his press conference after the game. He knows what he is doing and I would have done the same. He is absolutely on target with his stance here. Have to take a big picture approach here. Especially at this point in time so early in his tenure. But still cannot sacrifice your beliefs for the sake of short term gains. It will lead to long term failure.
As somebody else recently posted, Archie and Crean also suspended guys. The bottom line is W's and L's. I hope Woody has something more to show for it than Archie and Crean.

Some teams schedule nonconference games that matter.
The fact is is we should have able to finish 11-9 in the big ten minimum and thst likely went away tonight thanks to suspended dope smokers. Even if they come back tonights players probably arent too happy with them. Just typical iu ruin any momenteum.

The fact is is we should have able to finish 11-9 in the big ten minimum and thst likely went away tonight thanks to suspended dope smokers. Even if they come back tonights players probably arent too happy with them. Just typical iu ruin any momenteum.
Who really cares if it was weed, is that going to hurt them, better than alcohol and running teamnates over. The problem is more low basketball IQ on and off the court. This is just a not very talented bunch and some need to go away, it's one thing to have a situation like this with talent, but when you're no good anyway...

Reactions: 82hoosier
Who really cares if it was weed, is that going to hurt them, better than alcohol and running teamnates over. The problem is more low basketball IQ on and off the court. This is just a not very talented bunch and some need to go away, it's one thing to have a situation like this with talent, but when you're no good anyway...
What is really disappointing is that these five would pull this when most have significantly underachieved. It says a lot about their dedication to winning and getting better.

Stewart, Bates, Lander add virtually nothing to the team with their inability to shoot/score. If anything, I'd say they are negative equity if we miss the tournament and I'd rather seem them swapped out for someone who can actually shoot and wants to win. Durr has potential as well and XJ had just started to become that team leader we've been looking for.

Just absolutely disappointing and kudos to Woody for his integrity.

Reactions: Zeester
We won’t make the tourney because we are bad basketball team. All we really missed tonight was X. Bates brings nothing. Durr very little. KL rarely plays. Stewart is hot and cold and a liability defensively. We missed them from a rest perspective. But production wise, no difference with them out except for X.
We missed the minutes, no bench. Otherwise I agree.

If they can’t follow rules (whether you like them or not) it will hurt all of them now and in life. That is the lesson that is being taught here and it’s way more important than Ws and Ls.

I would have been fired from my job for doing what they did (if rumors are true). Following rules matters in life.

We won’t make the tourney because we are bad basketball team. All we really missed tonight was X. Bates brings nothing. Durr very little. KL rarely plays. Stewart is hot and cold and a liability defensively. We missed them from a rest perspective. But production wise, no difference with them out except for X.
Don't win the PU game without Durr. He was huge for us on D occupying their bigs.

They’ll probably get NCAA drug tested today and be suspended longer. 🙄 I get people saying weed isn’t a big deal…but it’s a banned substance by the NCAA…kinda makes it a big deal.

They’ll probably get NCAA drug tested today and be suspended longer. 🙄 I get people saying weed isn’t a big deal…but it’s a banned substance by the NCAA…kinda makes it a big deal.
Agree and it’s a big deal in the majority of professional jobs still. Those that don’t follow rules generally do not make if far in life. Woody knows this and cares enough to try to teach them that lesson.

BK had far better players and can you name a time when he suspended 5 of them?
Basically, yes -- Knight dismissed three and suspended four for marijuana in Alaska. One of them was named Woodson.

Do you believe the NCAAs is still a realistic goal that can be achieved by this team?

I do not thus the season is over statement.
I think it largely depends on the suspensions. I have said all along we could lose last night and still make the tournament. We have to beat 1 or 2 ranked teams down the stretch here but it is certainly doable.

Obviously it’s harder now than a day ago and add in that team issues need to be worked out. Let’s get it together and ho beat Michigan St!

I think it largely depends on the suspensions. I have said all along we could lose last night and still make the tournament. We have to beat 1 or 2 ranked teams down the stretch here but it is certainly doable.

Obviously it’s harder now than a day ago and add in that team issues need to be worked out. Let’s get it together and ho beat Michigan St!

"ho beat" Freudian slip?? :oops: 😁 😁 😁

Reactions: Beorik
Do you believe the NCAAs is still a realistic goal that can be achieved by this team?

I do not thus the season is over statement.
More than a realistic goal. Is it an uphill battle now after last night's loss? Absolutely, but it's more than attainable. Players and coaches both need to dig in deeper than ever now. We'll see how tough this team is over the next two weeks.

More than a realistic goal. Is it an uphill battle now after last night's loss? Absolutely, but it's more than attainable. Players and coaches both need to dig in deeper than ever now. We'll see how tough this team is over the next two weeks.

Absolutely should be the goal for the coaches and players but as a fan, I don't see it.
I can't imagine how this incident doesn't cause internal team problems. I would be PISSED if I was one of the players playing short handed because of those immature five.
IU's margin for error was small before, now it is razor thin. A problem that I don' t think they can overcome.
Hope I am wrong.

"except for X"

That's a pretty big piece to this puzzle, John.

But I agree wholeheartedly with the first line. They aren't good.

X acts like a thug sometimes....He probably was the leader finally, but not where we needed him.

BK had far better players and can you name a time when he suspended 5 of them?
No but he wasted no time kicking 3 off the team really quick.CBK always stuck to his rules. Baker,Cox and the other guy put themselves in that position just as these guys have. They know the team rules.

No but he wasted no time kicking 3 off the team really quick.CBK always stuck to his rules. Baker,Cox and the other guy put themselves in that position just as these guys have. They know the team rules.
I don’t think Woodson is quite as harsh as Knight (understatement) and few are. But I don’t think Woodson is going to waste his time and energy on a lost cause. His comments at the end of his press conference have made that very clear. At least one in that group seems to be at the end of their rope.

You mean like the time he benched the starters at Minn, lost by a huge number and it cost the team a #1 seed???
Don’t recall, but good on him. Seems Woodson has similar views, no? Seeing as CBK was a mentor of his, it would be no surprise. Though Woodson doesn’t have nearly as good a team in this case. Maybe he could pull this type of game out if we had more studs. He needs time to build that.

Reactions: bawlmer
You mean like the time he benched the starters at Minn, lost by a huge number and it cost the team a #1 seed???
That was Blab and the Four Freshman, which happened because Knight wanted to protest the NCAA's suspension of Alford for allowing his image to appear on a campus fundraising calendar (wearing more clothes than a typical basketball uniform exposes). So, Knight benched a lot of players on a nationally-ranked team to dramatize the point.

The fact that Knight chose this particular game (a national telecast where the whole world would see his protest) is of course part of the story -- the commentators couldn't really say much about the game without also talking about the NCAA's suspension.

But then again, the NCAA is all-smart, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT