ADVERTISEMENT

If the Hoosiers could land

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
Dingle and Mbako (sp) could it be better than this past season? I think we would have alot of questions and good talent for Woodson to blend in.
Ware
Reneau
Mbgako
Dingle
X

6- Galloway
7- Banks
8- Newton
9- Gunn
10- Sparks
11- Walker
12- Cupps
13- Leal

How would that starting five mesh as a team offensively and defensively? Galloway would be super 6 man.

Reactions: Willdog7
Dingle and Mbako (sp) could it be better than this past season? I think we would have alot of questions and good talent for Woodson to blend in.
Ware
Reneau
Mbgako
Dingle
X

6- Galloway
7- Banks
8- Newton
9- Gunn
10- Sparks
11- Walker
12- Cupps
13- Leal

How would that starting five mesh as a team offensively and defensively? Galloway would be super 6 man.
Timing might dictate some of this...but I bet if we landed Dingle and Mgbako, we'd lose someone else on our roster...Gunn or Banks maybe? Its just how things go now a days.

But assuming we did land those 2 guys here fairly soon...I agree, they'd both likely start for us. And then whoever would remain, would likely provide a pretty good bench, led by Galloway, assuming he would stay.

Better or worse than this past year's team? Not sure. If this group were to play more consistently to their potential, I'd say they could end up better. Our strengths offensively would obviously change quite a bit. The questions would probably come defensively.

Ware
Reneau
Mbgako
Dingle
X

6- Galloway
7- Banks
8- Newton
9- Gunn
10- Sparks
11- Walker
12- Cupps
13- Leal

Better

Timing might dictate some of this...but I bet if we landed Dingle and Mgbako, we'd lose someone else on our roster...Gunn or Banks maybe? Its just how things go now a days
Possibly but Mgbako screams one and done and believe Dingle only has one year of eligibility left. Banks and Gunn aren't dumb and have to know the staff is looking to upgrade at their position for next season. One or maybe both may luck into a significant role, possibly a starter role, if the staff whiffs on a couple of key guys here down the stretch, but both have to have some keen awareness that both are likely only rotation players next year. I think both kids will get extended minutes next year regardless of what happens with the remaining two scholarships but they have to know they are being recruited over for next year.

Ware
Reneau
Mbgako
Dingle
X

6- Galloway
7- Banks
8- Newton
9- Gunn
10- Sparks
11- Walker
12- Cupps
13- Leal

Hard to say but at least we would competitive which with the current roster as is I would say is iffy.

Waaay to many questions for me ..
I'll need at lest one tough game to say .
Hey we got something here...

Timing might dictate some of this...but I bet if we landed Dingle and Mgbako, we'd lose someone else on our roster...Gunn or Banks maybe? Its just how things go now a days.

But assuming we did land those 2 guys here fairly soon...I agree, they'd both likely start for us. And then whoever would remain, would likely provide a pretty good bench, led by Galloway, assuming he would stay.

Better or worse than this past year's team? Not sure. If this group were to play more consistently to their potential, I'd say they could end up better. Our strengths offensively would obviously change quite a bit. The questions would probably come defensively.
You re probably right we may still lose another to the portal people are still going into the portal daily. If we land two really good guards they will likely play in front of gunn and so would X and Galloway. I could see him bolting in that case maybe.

If Gabe had Zach Edey, he would have a good year. All that attention. Either way, Cupps should have a solid 4 year career at IU.
I don't disagree with you about Cupps' 4-year potential. I'm just saying that if he averages 10/4/4 and shoots 38% from three as a freshman, as Smith did, us fans would be freakin' elated.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I don't disagree with you about Cupps' 4-year potential. I'm just saying that if he averages 10/4/4 and shoots 38% from three as a freshman, as Smith did, us fans would be freakin' elated.
He will have similar numbers when you break it down by minutes. Smith started every game and averaged 30 mins, Cupps will be around 10. So divide that 10/4/4 by 3 and that's what I would expect from Cupps. 35% from three sounds about right as he should only take wide open ones.

Hoosier fans will be beyond thrilled if Cupps has a freshman season anywhere near Smith's.
well, if that's how you're gonna measure it, then prepare yourself to be disappointed likely. Smith walked into a starting spot because the cupboard was so bare in WL; not so in Btown this year as Cupps is going to have a very good, experienced guy in XJ in front of him. He can play as well, or better than Smith and still have lesser stats and that would be great. If he can step in at PG, maybe offer a bit of a different pass-first look and play solid D when spelling XJ, that would be a very successful freshman year for him. The only way he could surpass Smith's stats is if XJ gets reinjured or something and that's worse for us as a team.

FWIW, a friend's friend knows one of the recruitniks (Paul Biancardi I think) and he said Cupps is what he's advertised as: a very good all-around team-first PG and that he's better than Braden Smith. We'll see, but that's what I'm hoping for and kind of expect.

Cupps is Braden Smith but a little taller, so he can actually guard someone, although he is still a little short. I do wish we had offered Smith because he will be a good backup PG for 4 years, but he’s not a starter for a Final Four team. Smith is Jordy Hulls but shorter.

Cupps is Braden Smith but a little taller, so he can actually guard someone, although he is still a little short. I do wish we had offered Smith because he will be a good backup PG for 4 years, but he’s not a starter for a Final Four team. Smith is Jordy Hulls but shorter.
I've compared Cupps and Smith too, its a natural comparison, for many reasons.

But they really aren't great comps overall, in terms of how they play. Gabe is taller and longer, he's much more of a traditional game manager type PG, he's more solid defensively, and he's a more consistent shooter. Braden is smaller, quicker, he plays more freely, is more streaky offensively, he uses his quickness to gamble and shoot gaps and stuff more defensively, but he isn't as solid in actually guarding and helping.

They're both very good players. Gabe should compliment X very well, better than Braden would. Not sure Gabe will ever "create" as much stuff as Smith does. But he'll run IUs team as well or better, when he ends up getting that chance.

Possibly but Mgbako screams one and done and believe Dingle only has one year of eligibility left. Banks and Gunn aren't dumb and have to know the staff is looking to upgrade at their position for next season. One or maybe both may luck into a significant role, possibly a starter role, if the staff whiffs on a couple of key guys here down the stretch, but both have to have some keen awareness that both are likely only rotation players next year. I think both kids will get extended minutes next year regardless of what happens with the remaining two scholarships but they have to know they are being recruited over for next year.
Sounds like a good problem to have. Banks and Gunn shouldn't need any more motivation to get better-this is a golden opportunity to get major playing time. If they're not working their butts off now and all summer to get better, then they aren't getting it.

Reneau needs to develop a shot.

he does, and he can be really good.

he doesn't, and is relegated to trying to finish against more athletic big guys inside, he will struggle.

Reneau has to be able to shoot from mid range with some face the basket game, and be able to put the ball on the floor without picking up a charge every time.

he's not going to be able to live within 2 ft of the basket like TJD did, and like MR tried to do last yr, he just isn't athletic enough for his size.

he develops a shot and some handle and he can be really good, but he has to expand his game.

that said, shot and handle are the 2 things some players do really up their game on as they get older.

Galloway did exactly that last yr, quite a bit, and improved both as the yr went along, so i expect him to be even better this yr and be even better than many here are expecting.

I don’t think Smith will ever be the shooter Jordy was.

well, if that's how you're gonna measure it, then prepare yourself to be disappointed likely. Smith walked into a starting spot because the cupboard was so bare in WL; not so in Btown this year as Cupps is going to have a very good, experienced guy in XJ in front of him. He can play as well, or better than Smith and still have lesser stats and that would be great. If he can step in at PG, maybe offer a bit of a different pass-first look and play solid D when spelling XJ, that would be a very successful freshman year for him. The only way he could surpass Smith's stats is if XJ gets reinjured or something and that's worse for us as a team.

FWIW, a friend's friend knows one of the recruitniks (Paul Biancardi I think) and he said Cupps is what he's advertised as: a very good all-around team-first PG and that he's better than Braden Smith. We'll see, but that's what I'm hoping for and kind of expect.
Biancardi..Same guy that said Lander was a 5 ☆
I knew that was fantasy...Day 1

Cupps won't see that much playing time unless X's foot betrays him. Smith had to play 30 min/game, Purdue didn't have any other options.
Cupps won't see that much playing time unless X's foot betrays him. Smith had to play 30 min/game, Purdue didn't have any other options.
Which is good Cupps is a skinny frosh who needs time to learn. I would not want him playing 30 mns a game next year.

Biancardi..Same guy that said Lander was a 5 ☆
I knew that was fantasy...Day 1
No idea what he had Lander rated at, but I am certain he wasn't the only one who had him ridiculously high. I don't really follow recruitniks, but he happens to live in Charlotte and this guy is his neighbor. He had him say hello to Archie once on a phone call.

Which is good Cupps is a skinny frosh who needs time to learn. I would not want him playing 30 mns a game next year.
Have you seen Cupps? He really got pretty ripped going into last year. Freshman can almost always get stronger and he can certainly use a few more lbs on his frame, but I'd guess he's not at the deficit most freshman are coming in in terms of strength. Saw him dunk a couple times in games too and I don't remember Jordy or Braden doing that, although I think Braden can dunk.

A lot depends on avoiding injuries to the starting 5 and the key rotation players.

A lot depends on avoiding injuries to the starting 5 and the key rotation players.
That’s every year for every team. We dealt with a lot of injuries last year, and that hurt us. No different next year. So I agree, we need to avoid injuries or that could detail things, especially with the lost experience.

Reneau needs to develop a shot.

he does, and he can be really good.

he doesn't, and is relegated to trying to finish against more athletic big guys inside, he will struggle.

Reneau has to be able to shoot from mid range with some face the basket game, and be able to put the ball on the floor without picking up a charge every time.

he's not going to be able to live within 2 ft of the basket like TJD did, and like MR tried to do last yr, he just isn't athletic enough for his size.

he develops a shot and some handle and he can be really good, but he has to expand his game.

that said, shot and handle are the 2 things some players do really up their game on as they get older.

Galloway did exactly that last yr, quite a bit, and improved both as the yr went along, so i expect him to be even better this yr and be even better than many here are expecting.
Reneau took some jumpers and doesn't look uncomfortable doing so. I'm not really worried about that as I think that will come. What I think he most needs to focus on is his footspeed, balance and getting more explosive. I think he spent all his time getting stronger which was good, but ignored footspeed, footwork, balance, and flexibility. I think that will be his focus in the gym this summer.

I thought that it looked like Reneau lost some weight during the year probably due to the weight and conditioning program. As far as his shot goes, I remember him missing quite a few fts early in the year but got better as the season went on. He also is poised for a breakthrough this season. Lots of potential all over the place

I thought that it looked like Reneau lost some weight during the year probably due to the weight and conditioning program. As far as his shot goes, I remember him missing quite a few fts early in the year but got better as the season went on. He also is poised for a breakthrough this season. Lots of potential all over the place
Not easy to adjust to the B1G as a 4 or 5 coming from HS. He seemed to look much better as the B1G season progressed. Of course he looked pretty good against the scrub teams early in the year, but he was in for a rude awakening early in conference play.

Not easy to adjust to the B1G as a 4 or 5 coming from HS. He seemed to look much better as the B1G season progressed. Of course he looked pretty good against the scrub teams early in the year, but he was in for a rude awakening early in conference play.
I'm lookin for Reneau to take a good sophmore leap with averages around 13ppg and 7 rbg. Hopefully 72% or better from free throw line as well.

Smith May end up being a Jordy, but he isn’t in the same zip code from a leadership and IQ standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT