ADVERTISEMENT

If no NCAA...

He is gone if we fall apart we have nobody coming in next season why waste another year. If he had a top 10 class yes year 4 would happen but new AD is not keeping Archie.
Let's be clear about one thing: I will never be an AD -- not at the high school down the road from me, much less at a place like IU. But -- if I were an AD candidate, would I want my first act to be firing the coach at the university's most-important sport? I think I would feel like my pick had better be making the Final Four in his first three seasons and winning championships in four or five years -- and that's a lot of pressure.
We might be in for a few long, hard years.

Let's be clear about one thing: I will never be an AD -- not at the high school down the road from me, much less at a place like IU. But -- if I were an AD candidate, would I want my first act to be firing the coach at the university's most-important sport? I think I would feel like my pick had better be making the Final Four in his first three seasons and winning championships in four or five years -- and that's a lot of pressure.
I agree, I fear we are probably looking at 5 years of Archie as new AD will take 2 years to evaluate, but man things need to change I want players purged from this program if they refuse to compete. Do something Archie, you don’t even bench people or sit them out for a game or two.

Purge or sit the Crean recruited players if they don't want to compete.

So if we go like 4-16 on conference you guys still think he comes back? That would really show where the school is at with expectations meaning they have none.

So if we go like 4-16 on conference you guys still think he comes back? That would really show where the school is at with expectations meaning they have none.
Jughead very likely gets year 4. If no major improvement after next season, the new AD will be forced to make a change and bring in his "own" guy.

Oh we’re going 4-16, 5-15, 6-14 or 7-13. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind.

Jughead very likely gets year 4. If no major improvement after next season, the new AD will be forced to make a change and bring in his "own" guy.
I could see him just squeaking into the tourney by a hair next year extending it another two years .

This is the most likely scenario.

Look for Archie’s recruiting to become even more troubled in the coming 15 months. Everybody and their brother will know he’s a short-timer.

Here’s what would give me confidence for next year.
1. Justene Smith and Devonte Green don’t come back, Deron will graduate
2. Archie gets rid of Bruiser and brings in an offensive minded coach
3. We get verbals from at least 2 of 2021 instate studs.
4. We hire a great AD

Yes, for the reason I already stated in this thread. The timing of Glass' replacement starting is a bad time to be firing a coach.

4. We hire a great AD
Would be awesome but numbers 2 and 3 seem like longshots right now imo.

I meant next year he squeaks in giving him a 5th and a 6th year.

I know. I’m saying that I don’t think a “squeaked in” tourney berth in year 4 will get him an extension...especially with a new AD who didn’t hire him.

The window for Archie to be a long-term coach at IU is probably closing. Now, if he has a really good team next year that competes for a conference championship and/or makes a deep tourney run, that’s a different story. But, realistically, how likely is that?

I know. I’m saying that I don’t think a “squeaked in” tourney berth in year 4 will get him an extension...especially with a new AD who didn’t hire him.

The window for Archie to be a long-term coach at IU is probably closing. Now, if he has a really good team next year that competes for a conference championship and/or makes a deep tourney run, that’s a different story. But, realistically, how likely is that?
If he makes tourney next year, has several great not good but great 2021 recruits, shores up his pathetic coaching staff and the defense becomes top 15 or so I would keep Archie. I don’t see this happening

Or, if they actually hire a capable and confident AD, which I doubt they will, we might not

Yes, for the reason I already stated in this thread. The timing of Glass' replacement starting is a bad time to be firing a coach.
Maybe Glass would actually go out doing us a favor after we fail to make the NIT and fire him. Make amends for the bad hire and don't strap the university or limit hiring because it's no longer a desirable job when your shackled with selling a good AD on a bad team in your #1 sport

If he makes tourney next year, has several great not good but great 2021 recruits, shores up his pathetic coaching staff and the defense becomes top 15 or so I would keep Archie. I don’t see this happening

It’ll take more than that.

After what we have seen in 2.5 years not likely at all.

Maybe Glass would actually go out doing us a favor after we fail to make the NIT and fire him. Make amends for the bad hire and don't strap the university or limit hiring because it's no longer a desirable job when your shackled with selling a good AD on a bad team in your #1 sport
I so love repeating myself. So would you want Glass hiring the next coach just months before he retires? Or maybe prefer the next AD could hire a new coach in late May or June? This would cut the number of available coaches and put the new coach in the bad position of being behind. Or maybe you'd prefer an interim coach for a year?

Again, the timing is terrible for firing and hiring a basketball coach. This, plus the buyout, means Miller will be coach next season.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I so love repeating myself. So would you want Glass hiring the next coach just months before he retires? Or maybe prefer the next AD could hire a new coach in late May or June? This would cut the number of available coaches and put the new coach in the bad position of being behind. Or maybe you'd prefer an interim coach for a year?

Again, the timing is terrible for firing and hiring a basketball coach. This, plus the buyout, means Miller will be coach next season.
That's all par for the course for IU. Bad timing, poor decisions, etc all go hand in hand with our basketball decisions. And know having to keep a coach another year when we already know thes outcome. I almost feel like Fred purposely is staying until then just to create the situation you mentioned. Fred knows he looks like a fool for this hiring but is too arrogant to let it end

Purge or sit the Crean recruited players if they don't want to compete.

That should apply to any players, whoever recruited them. I wouldn’t be against seeing some walk-ons get minutes at this point.

And if the schollie players quit in protest, they’ve done us a favor.

If we are going to suck anyway next year, if I were in Fred's shoes, I'd fire him in March asap and make amends for the bad hire … it's not like some mid-major isn't going to swoop him up assuming he's not going to retire … the buyout then won't apply beyond the difference in salary. I'd say cut bait in March, anybody coming in is behind the 8 ball already on recruiting, you always will be when you are replacing someone getting fired. What it takes to make up the difference is a good hire. I'm not advocating for Fred to do the hiring, just the firing.

Barring a complete (and unlikely) turnaround, this team will not make the dance and there's really no freshman coming in next season who will make a difference. That means four Jughead years and no dance! He'd be on a very hot seat at that point.

I agree. Even if the wheels come totally off and we ended up around .500, I want Archie back. I don't want Glass making anymore decisions for the basketball program.

I agree. Even if the wheels come totally off and we ended up around .500, I want Archie back. I don't want Glass making anymore decisions for the basketball program.
What if Glass doesn't make the decision, he's just the messenger on firing. Waiting for the right time/giving someone one more year to prove it has ALWAYS burnt us on other candidates. If someone is not doing their job, nor expected to EVER, FIRE THEM! Why postpone the bleeding, give Fife a one year/million dollar contract, let him try, let anybody try at half what we pay for Archie. The buyout then is irrelavent. Could it be any worse than what we're paying for or watching?

Barring a complete (and unlikely) turnaround, this team will not make the dance and there's really no freshman coming in next season who will make a difference. That means four Jughead years and no dance! He'd be on a very hot seat at that point.
The problem with giving him more time is that there is no real "help on the way", just decent role players. Recruiting is dead already and if he is given another year as a lame duck, it will get even worse. I would not be surprised if Leal, given the opportunity to go to Stanford and the fact he has zero pro potential, might back out if this year trends out as we expect.

Reactions: bailey777
The problem with giving him more time is that there is no real "help on the way", just decent role players. Recruiting is dead already and if he is given another year as a lame duck, it will get even worse. I would not be surprised if Leal, given the opportunity to go to Stanford and the fact he has zero pro potential, might back out if this year trends out as we expect.
But that is what iu does. Keep a lame duck coach and set the program even further behind.

It's just not about firing Archie it's about getting a proven winner. I don't want another Archie I want a proven winner Billy Donovan, Mark Few, Brad Stevens, Bruce Pearl, Greg Marshall, Chris Beard, Jamie Dixon.

Reactions: ufo33 and reabhnt
4. We hire a great AD
I love how you're so knowledgeable and such an authority on IU but you don' t know what year Devonte Green is....you fake.

Reactions: minneman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT