ADVERTISEMENT

If no NCAA...

The next couple of years will be ugly if this season ends in disappointment. Will Archie even do alumni and public relations events?

Reactions: birdforbogey
The next couple of years will be ugly if this season ends in disappointment. Will Archie even do alumni and public relations events?
The better question is would anyone show up and what top 100 recruit would want to come here? Coaches can be pretty arrogant so he probably would still show up.

He is gone if we fall apart we have nobody coming in next season why waste another year. If he had a top 10 class yes year 4 would happen but new AD is not keeping Archie.
Zeller saved crean. Archie has no zeller. Even if you brought him back recruiting would be dead anyway so all you do is waste another year.

You give him one more year under these conditions, go get a coach to be your offensive coordinator if he says no I’m stubborn and this is my staff well goodbye

He’s coming back, but I doubt much changes. Leal and Galloway are good are they as good as Kyle Guy was in high school? Guy played limited minutes his freshman year at UVA, to sit here and say those two recruits are gonna turn us into a winner is pretty folly. So the new AD will need to look at 2021 recruits and any upward trends from 2020, but most ADs want to make a signature hire especially to the most important sport at IU.

He’s coming back, but I doubt much changes. Leal and Galloway are good are they as good as Kyle Guy was in high school? Guy played limited minutes his freshman year at UVA, to sit here and say those two recruits are gonna turn us into a winner is pretty folly. So the new AD will need to look at 2021 recruits and any upward trends from 2020, but most ADs want to make a signature hire especially to the most important sport at IU.
Next year class is a role player class. None of them move the needle next year

the coach will be back. His buy out would be 100% of his remaining contract and no university is going to do that.

Why would it be different than the situation with Crean? Glass always said that the fans didn't know what they were talking about in regards to Crean's buyout. Miller would be required to seek employment in a related job, in Crean's case it was with ESPN. IU paid the difference between his ESPN salary and his IU salary. Same kind of arrangement here.

BTW, IU is responsible or 100% of his 3.2 mil for next year and the following. 50% after that. Basically 9.6 over 4 years. And again, any income he received will be deducted. It's not the hurdle you might think it is.

Archie needs to go.
Disregarding any buyout concerns let's look at the possible situations and why Miller will likely be the coach next year no matter what happens.

1) Glass fires Miller and hires the next coach just months before leaving.

2) Glass fires Miller after the season but leaves the hiring for the next AD. IU is basically without direction for a couple of months even with an interim coach. Hiring isn't done until late May at the earliest both limiting the selection of coaches as well as putting the new coach in a tough position of being behind.

3) New AD comes in and fires Miller. See #2 why this is bad, especially since it would be even longer before a new coach is found unless the new AD fires Miller very soon after starting.

4) Glass or new AD fires Miller and IU spends a season with an interim coach. I don't see how this makes more sense than giving Miller a 4th year.

Miller will be the coach next season even if they miss the NCAAT.

Disregarding any buyout concerns let's look at the possible situations and why Miller will likely be the coach next year no matter what happens.

1) Glass fires Miller and hires the next coach just months before leaving.

2) Glass fires Miller after the season but leaves the hiring for the next AD. IU is basically without direction for a couple of months even with an interim coach. Hiring isn't done until late May at the earliest both limiting the selection of coaches as well as putting the new coach in a tough position of being behind.

3) New AD comes in and fires Miller. See #2 why this is bad, especially since it would be even longer before a new coach is found unless the new AD fires Miller very soon after starting.

4) Glass or new AD fires Miller and IU spends a season with an interim coach. I don't see how this makes more sense than giving Miller a 4th year.

Agreed, he will be the coach next year regardless of what happens this year. In the case he doesn’t make the tourney, he would need a Sweet Sixteen to keep his job.

bailey777 said:

ndhuntington said:

He is gone if we fall apart we have nobody coming in next season why waste another year. If he had a top 10 class yes year 4 would happen but new AD is not keeping Archie.[/quote]

Zeller saved crean. Archie has no zeller. Even if you brought him back recruiting would be dead anyway so all you do is waste another year.
[/quote]
Everybody says Zeller saved Crean and he certainly came at the right time, but you all have to remember that Crean built another B1G championship team after Zeller left. In fact, Yogi is the common denominator on those two teams. Crean just couldn’t sustain that level year in and year out. He also couldn’t get past the S16, even with those B1G champs.

I agree.

He shouldn’t be. And he won’t be there for any reason other than money and timing. But, yes, he will be the coach next season, even if he misses the tournament for the 3rd straight year...unless he does a selfless, honorable thing and resigns (which he won’t).

And our recruiting — no juggernaut now — will come to a screeching halt.

Reactions: mike41703
Fred is retiring so he doesn’t have to go through the same pressure cooker he did with Crean. He’s leaving this one to the next AD.

Basically, Archie will have 1 year to audition for his job with a new AD judging.

Fred has already fired 1 coach he directly hired (Wilson) and one he didn’t hire (Crean).

He’s not going through this again.

Fred is retiring so he doesn’t have to go through the same pressure cooker he did with Crean. He’s leaving this one to the next AD.

Basically, Archie will have 1 year to audition for his job with a new AD judging.

Fred has already fired 1 coach he directly hired (Wilson) and one he didn’t hire (Crean).

He’s not going through this again.

I don’t know if the timing of his retirement had anything to do with Archie’s job. Maybe, maybe not. I do know that Glass already made it clear that this was not a “make or break” year for Archie. So it’s probably moot anyway.

That said, the timing of FG’s retirement makes it nearly impossible for Archie to be fired, money considerations aside.

The crap thing about all this is that, if it becomes apparent that Archie is on his way out after next season, our recruiting will be badly disrupted for a year or two beyond. The program will suffer for it. That’s why I’m convinced that it’s best to take care of these things quickly and ASAP.

I agree.

He shouldn’t be. And he won’t be there for any reason other than money and timing. But, yes, he will be the coach next season, even if he misses the tournament for the 3rd straight year...unless he does a selfless, honorable thing and resigns (which he won’t).

And our recruiting — no juggernaut now — will come to a screeching halt.
Resigning would so the same thing as firing him. Either Glass replaces him with just a month or two left in his tenure, the new AD replaces him later than normal in the off-season, our there is a season with an interim coach. None of those options are very appealing.

Recruiting would probably slightly better with a coach on the hot seat that might still be there than with an interim coach that almost surely won't be. Either way, IU will likely miss on most, maybe all, of the top Indiana recruits for '21.

The best option would be for Glass' replacement to already be worked out and the transition happens sooner than the expected May timeframe.

Even though some claim the crean recruits are the problem he went
Resigning would so the same thing as firing him. Either Glass replaces him with just a month or two left in his tenure, the new AD replaces him later than normal in the off-season, our there is a season with an interim coach. None of those options are very appealing.

Recruiting would probably slightly better with a coach on the hot seat that might still be there than with an interim coach that almost surely won't be. Either way, IU will likely miss on most, maybe all, of the top Indiana recruits for '21.

The best option would be for Glass' replacement to already be worked out and the transition happens sooner than the expected May timeframe.
I don't see how we would get any of those top 21 year guys as of right now. Another possible bad hire made in archie may bite us for years to come

Even though some claim the crean recruits are the problem he went

I don't see how we would get any of those top 21 year guys as of right now. Another possible bad hire made in archie may bite us for years to come

Archie wasn't a "bad hire." At the time everyone said it was anything from a homerun to pretty decent. Very very few thought it was less than that. We cant see the future, and nobody could see how quickly he would achieve success, if he ever does here.

Archie wasn't a "bad hire." At the time everyone said it was anything from a homerun to pretty decent. Very very few thought it was less than that. We cant see the future, and nobody could see how quickly he would achieve success, if he ever does here.

I agree that most thought it was a good hire at the time.

But I don’t think anybody would’ve foreseen that we’d have such little (if any) tangible progression by the middle of year 3. In fairness, there certainly have been obstacles beyond his control - key injuries, some long lasting. But him not making a concerted effort to find at least one reliable shooter by now ranks right up there with Ryan Grigson failing to do much of anything to protect his $100 million quarterback.

Given crean had at least brought the program back to relevance I thought we would get a bigger name. I really did.

Given crean had at least brought the program back to relevance I thought we would get a bigger name. I really did.

I honestly don't think any big names are interested in rebuilding a program that has been away from relevancy as long as Indiana has. They have too many other options for quicker continued success.

I honestly don't think any big names are interested in rebuilding a program that has been away from relevancy as long as Indiana has. They have too many other options for quicker continued success.
Coaches will take the job for the right price. Put up $7 million and you’ll get the right guy. That’s simply how it works. The other route is to hope we find a diamond in the rough.

Coaches will take the job for the right price. Put up $7 million and you’ll get the right guy. That’s simply how it works. The other route is to hope we find a diamond in the rough.

Question is how many coaches in America are worth 7 million, like 5-10 coaches?

who are they?

we could over pay for some one.. like Cronin? Wojo, Dixon (not)

maybe Jay Wright, coach of the decade

The only thing holding back CAM is he needs to get with current hoops. Load the team with shooters, even an avg b-ball IQ team with shooters has a chance to beat anyone

imagine if we had 3-4 shooters AND played tough D. It’s that simple

Didnt ND pay Charlie Weiss about double what we’d owe Archie to get lost?[/QUOTE]

Yes but Notre Dame money and IU money are in different stratosphere’s.

And if goto NCAA you need to go. Forever away from this message board

Join the retreads forum for little sisters of loser hood
What? Not sure how you can defend Archie still. Basketball should not take long to win. See a Memphis or Louisville

Last edited:
Honestly this is a perfect time to fire him. There would be no rebuild that you'd have to sell the new coach. He'd inherit TJD, Rob, Brunk, JS, Al, Jerome, Race, Armaan, Demazi, etc. Plus the incoming recruits. Most either can't transfer or wouldn't want to sit out. Plus there's that monster 2021 class he could hit early. But this administration...

Honestly this is a perfect time to fire him. There would be no rebuild that you'd have to sell the new coach. He'd inherit TJD, Rob, Brunk, JS, Al, Jerome, Race, Armaan, Demazi, etc. Plus the incoming recruits. Most either can't transfer or wouldn't want to sit out. Plus there's that monster 2021 class he could hit early. But this administration...
Right, no let’s leave a lame duck coach in place who has no hope of locking down 2021 class while we stick our thumbs up our arse waiting for a 16 person special committee to find the next coach, yea that’s the ticket!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT