ADVERTISEMENT

If masks and social distancing don't work, why is the flu at an all time record low in the US?

I know a Doc that tests for flu every time he has tested patient for Covid. Zero positive flu. A bunch of positive Covid.
agreed. My office has tested for flu a bunch and had a few + B cases in December but none sense. But in fairness almost no COVID now either.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I know a Doc that tests for flu every time he has tested patient for Covid. Zero positive flu. A bunch of positive Covid.

This conspiracy that there is no flu is bonkers. The flu shot paired with avoiding crowds and mask wearing has all but eliminated the flu this season. On the other hand, the novel corona virus did not have a shot and it is both more deadly and contagious than the flu. I’m not understanding how this is confusing for people.

This conspiracy that there is no flu is bonkers. The flu shot paired with avoiding crowds and mask wearing has all but eliminated the flu this season. On the other hand, the novel corona virus did not have a shot and it is both more deadly and contagious than the flu. I’m not understanding how this is confusing for people.
A lot of people are thinking the Covid test is giving a positive when influenza is present. I think it is important for Docs to test for both at the same visit. This gives the community an accurate representation of what is occurring.
Personally, I have dispensed one rx for Xofluza. No Tamiflu at all this year.

From the AP:
Flu has virtually disappeared from the U.S., with reports coming in at far lower levels than anything seen in decades.
Experts say that measures put in place to fend off the coronavirus — mask wearing, social distancing and virtual schooling — were a big factor in preventing a “twindemic” of flu and COVID-19. A push to get more people vaccinated against flu probably helped, too, as did fewer people traveling, they say.
Nationally, “this is the lowest flu season we’ve had on record,” according to a surveillance system that is about 25 years old, said Lynnette Brammer of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

It's not just masks. Everyone knows if you just wash your hands, your chances of getting the flu are greatly reduced.

I think - I don't know, but it's my opinion - that many people who are reported as having the covid also may have the flu, but it's being reported as covid. So, there may be many instances of flu that aren't being reported as the flu.

But the flu season was predicted to be mild, based on the flu reported in Australia.

Okay. That’s fine for you to think that, but the facts stand for themselves.

C’mon, DANC, you know that the tactics scientists prescribed worked. I think some (I’m not saying you) think we want to be wearing masks and not being around other people. In my case, it’s not true. I HATE having to wear a mask. At the same time, I want this over ASAP, so I follow instructions from the experts.

I realize you want things back to normal yesterday. So do I.

I just wish we could pull together rather than turn it into a political food fight.

My pleasure
I was in the Army and served with some Green Berets, but never knew any Rangers. This was '72-'75.

I did ask my daughter's friend who is in the 75th about it and here's what he said:
No, so your first 6-12mo in the 75th is a probationary period, at the end of those 6mo you are sent to the conventional army’s ranger school and expected to graduate. If you don’t, you get the boot to the regular army

So, technically it's possible to be in the 75th without a Ranger tab - but you have to get one to stay there.

C’mon, DANC, you know that the tactics scientists prescribed worked. I think some (I’m not saying you) think we want to be wearing masks and not being around other people. In my case, it’s not true. I HATE having to wear a mask. At the same time, I want this over ASAP, so I follow instructions from the experts.

I just wish we could pull together rather than turn it into a political food fight.
I dont know that face masks worked. Everyone I knew wore face masks where required and the country is at 500,000 deaths and counting.

If that's what you call working......

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Then quit blaming Trump for every damn thing that went wrong the last 4 years.

You loved the political food fight when you're the one flinging the food.

I dont know that face masks worked. Everyone I knew wore face masks where required and the country is at 500,000 deaths and counting.

Do you really think this is a persuasive indicator that masks don't work: "Everyone I knew wore face masks where required...."

Even assuming you could possibly know whether all your acquaintances wore masks at all times they were supposed to 24/7, there is no way you know so many people that your personal observations indicate whether or not masks work.

It's entertaining to watch you try, though.

Do you really think this is a persuasive indicator that masks don't work: "Everyone I knew wore face masks where required...."

Even assuming you could possibly know whether all your acquaintances wore masks at all times they were supposed to 24/7, there is no way you know so many people that your personal observations indicate whether or not masks work.

It's entertaining to watch you totally ignore the obvious - if masks worked, there wouldn't be 500,00+ dead.

Where is your data that shows people didn't wear masks?

So many variables involved, including local and municipal orders, but here are the twelve states that didn't implement mandatory mask orders and how they fared:
Death Rate and Case Rate
AL 50 37
Az 6 7
fl 28 28
ga 21 19
Id 41 17
MS 5 15
MO 29 36
OK 37 8
sc 19 14
sd 8 2
ne 38 11
tn 18 6

So many variables involved, including local and municipal orders, but here are the twelve states that didn't implement mandatory mask orders and how they fared:
Death Rate and Case Rate
AL 50 37
Az 6 7
fl 28 28
ga 21 19
Id 41 17
MS 5 15
MO 29 36
OK 37 8
sc 19 14
sd 8 2
ne 38 11
tn 18 6
I guess we'll know more after observing Texas and the other states who are opening up 100%.

I was in the Army and served with some Green Berets, but never knew any Rangers. This was '72-'75.

I did ask my daughter's friend who is in the 75th about it and here's what he said:
No, so your first 6-12mo in the 75th is a probationary period, at the end of those 6mo you are sent to the conventional army’s ranger school and expected to graduate. If you don’t, you get the boot to the regular army

So, technically it's possible to be in the 75th without a Ranger tab - but you have to get one to stay there.
This is correct. The 75th guys were usually the guys at Ranger school the longest. They simply couldn’t give up or they’d be kicked out. I was lucky and got straight thru.

Reactions: DANC and DrHoops
Where is your data that shows people didn't wear masks?
Mask wearing frequency has been routinely monitored, nationwide. It lagged in the 50% range at best through almost all of 2020, with a recent uptick to ~70%.

Masks work, mask denialism douchebaggery kills.

Reactions: DrHoops
Mask wearing frequency has been routinely monitored, nationwide. It lagged in the 50% range at best through almost all of 2020, with a recent uptick to ~70%.

South Dakota is another example I see used as Gov Noem didn't have any mask mandates and they have what, the 8th worst death per capita in the country?

All of this is hard to isolate because it's a damn virus that doesn't understand borders. The twin cities were pretty strict with masks and lockdowns like most urban cities, but we're 30 minutes from Wisconsin, particularly western Wisconsin which had a do whatever you want covid policy.

It's like building a bunker with open windows and wondering why everyone got radiation poison.

Now that we actually can see some light....fvcking Texas and Mississippi are being stupid and incompetent again by jumping the gun.

This whole covid experience for me has just made two ginormous points.

1. No matter how obvious something is people will spend way too much energy fighting and denying it when it slightly inconveniences them.

2. If we can't come together to do the easiest thing in the world to help save a ton of lives and keep a ton of people from getting really sick. How are we going to come together to make an actual difficult sacrifice if need be?

We won't because we're soft and spoiled.

That's the point of the thread...the flu went to almost zero. That's just another point of reference that masks and social distancing worked. Johns Hopkins:

"Typically, the winter months bring the peak of flu season. As cases of COVID-19 have soared in the U.S. over the past few weeks, however, cases of the flu have remained extremely low. Flu season typically peaks between December and February each year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that the flu causes up to 45 million illnesses, up to 810,000 hospitalizations and up to 61,000 deaths each year. But this flu season, there have been just 925 cases of the flu around the U.S so far.
“Though caused by a different virus from the one that causes COVID-19, the flu is also a respiratory viral disease, so everything we are doing to slow transmission of COVID-19, such as wearing face masks, frequent handwashing and physical distancing, should also reduce transmission of flu,” says Eili Klein, Ph.D., associate professor of emergency medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

Again, I want to stop wearing a mask ASAFP, but If we keep dicking around we're just going to make it last longer.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Then quit blaming Trump for every damn thing that went wrong the last 4 years.

You loved the political food fight when you're the one flinging the food.

I'm fine when food is flung (?) when it deserves to be.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
From the AP:
Flu has virtually disappeared from the U.S., with reports coming in at far lower levels than anything seen in decades.
Experts say that measures put in place to fend off the coronavirus — mask wearing, social distancing and virtual schooling — were a big factor in preventing a “twindemic” of flu and COVID-19. A push to get more people vaccinated against flu probably helped, too, as did fewer people traveling, they say.
Nationally, “this is the lowest flu season we’ve had on record,” according to a surveillance system that is about 25 years old, said Lynnette Brammer of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Really! Try because everything is COVID even if you have the flu it’s covid

Reactions: Lucy01 and stollcpa
From the AP:

It’s not hard. Nothing is labeled as flu.

Reactions: Lucy01
It’s not hard. Nothing is labeled as flu.

Hmmmm... Stollcpa or Johns Hopkins? I’ll go with Johns Hopkins.

No offense to an accountant from nowhere Indiana vs one of the best medical schools in the world.

This is correct. The 75th guys were usually the guys at Ranger school the longest. They simply couldn’t give up or they’d be kicked out. I was lucky and got straight thru.
Had a guy I roomed with in Augsburg, Germany - we were both enlisted. We got out and went to IU and he enrolled in ROTC and joined the Reserves. So, he was triple-dipping with his GI Bill. Summer of his Junior year he went to Ranger school and passed. Now, he and I were both physically about the same. I never though he'd make it through. But he did. When I saw him on campus at the start of school, he looked like a skeleton.

Last I heard, he was a Colonel and a liaison to the Russian Embassy in DC. He did alright for himself.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

You have no source for this?

Why am I not surprised. Just more BS from the king of BSers.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
That's the point of the thread...the flu went to almost zero. That's just another point of reference that masks and social distancing worked. Johns Hopkins:

"Typically, the winter months bring the peak of flu season. As cases of COVID-19 have soared in the U.S. over the past few weeks, however, cases of the flu have remained extremely low. Flu season typically peaks between December and February each year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that the flu causes up to 45 million illnesses, up to 810,000 hospitalizations and up to 61,000 deaths each year. But this flu season, there have been just 925 cases of the flu around the U.S so far.
“Though caused by a different virus from the one that causes COVID-19, the flu is also a respiratory viral disease, so everything we are doing to slow transmission of COVID-19, such as wearing face masks, frequent handwashing and physical distancing, should also reduce transmission of flu,” says Eili Klein, Ph.D., associate professor of emergency medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

Again, I want to stop wearing a mask ASAFP, but If we keep dicking around we're just going to make it last longer.
And, as I pointed out, you can avoid getting the flu just by washing your hands and sanitizing surfaces.

A mask is just a secondary precaution, at most.

And, as I pointed out, you can avoid getting the flu just by washing your hands and sanitizing surfaces.

A mask is just a secondary precaution, at most.

Sigh.

Last edited:
You have no source for this?

Why am I not surprised. Just more BS from the king of BSers.
Nor do you have a source for calling it "BS."

See how that works? It's really not difficult to avoid proving your point by attacking everybody else.

South Dakota is another example I see used as Gov Noem didn't have any mask mandates and they have what, the 8th worst death per capita in the country?

All of this is hard to isolate because it's a damn virus that doesn't understand borders. The twin cities were pretty strict with masks and lockdowns like most urban cities, but we're 30 minutes from Wisconsin, particularly western Wisconsin which had a do whatever you want covid policy.

It's like building a bunker with open windows and wondering why everyone got radiation poison.

Now that we actually can see some light....fvcking Texas and Mississippi are being stupid and incompetent again by jumping the gun.

This whole covid experience for me has just made two ginormous points.

1. No matter how obvious something is people will spend way too much energy fighting and denying it when it slightly inconveniences them.

2. If we can't come together to do the easiest thing in the world to help save a ton of lives and keep a ton of people from getting really sick. How are we going to come together to make an actual difficult sacrifice if need be?

We won't because we're soft and spoiled.
When Trump said make America great again, the great didn’t refer to the Great Generation. That’s for sure.

There's a reckoning coming. The two "easy" models to figure out collaboration are fully co-located and fully remote. Either one puts everyone on the same footing and using the same communication strategies. I think a lot of companies will go back and implement a poorly-thought out hybrid model, one that sets up lots of interactions that look like "small number of remote employees calling into HQ" which is the absolute worst kind of meeting. I think a year from now there will be a ton of articles out there about how "remote doesn't work any more" thanks to those kinds of poor implementations that ignore the power differential of a colocated team with remote members.

For my team I'm looking at a model where teams would choose a day or two a week to come in together and otherwise be remote, so they can collaborate in person at times, and the rest of the time be on equal footing with one another by all collaborating remotely. I assume whatever we do will not work perfectly and we'll have to adapt, but I personally believe a mixed model can be really effective, but you need real intentionality about how you structure communication and the tools and physical space to enable it.
I think "mostly co-located" will be the midwestern approach. We (midwesterners) probably are not going the "full progressive" path of Amazon or Apple.

To your point about equal footing, I think one answer would be to continue with all group meetings as virtual and not go back to in-person sessions. That would encourage everyone to stay with the technology that got us through covid. I don't think meetings is where the collaboration happens. The collaboration and connection happen in the hallways, the drop-bys, the one-offs, and over a cocktail or coffee. I don't think you can plan that by selecting days of the week to be in office. I think you just need people to be in office most of the time. But staying with the technology more often than not allows for greater flexibility and makes working remotely less of an obvious hindrance on those days some people don't actually come in.

I don't love what some companies are doing to encourage remote work. E.g., hoteling where employees can reserve space may be efficient, but it makes the physical workspace foreign and keeps employees from setting up a personal connection (pictures on the desk, etc.). And I'm not sure that work from home is really such a great deal for employees. Lots of people actually work more and harder from home and maybe employees who are virtual are little bit more easily forgotten by the decision-makers at points that matter. Work from home employees feel a bit more like free agents than engaged team members.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT