ADVERTISEMENT

If I recall correctly, I was a kid at the time Woodson and to a lesser extent Wittman

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
were two of the last players to utilize the bank shot on a regular basis. other than a layup or a Lander brick nobody uses the glass anymore. matter of fact I cant remember the last time I saw a player purposefully use the glass on a midrange jumper. used to be thought of as a higher percentage shot wonder if analytics has pushed it out of the game?

like that suggs shot in the tournament , when the glass is used now its just luck
In AAU ball we taught the basic geometry of how a bank worked but we did not teach them to shoot a bank shot outside of a tip in. Kids didn't understand the basic trajectory or it's change. Hell, some of them had no idea two balls would fit through the hoop at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23
were two of the last players to utilize the bank shot on a regular basis. other than a layup or a Lander brick nobody uses the glass anymore. matter of fact I cant remember the last time I saw a player purposefully use the glass on a midrange jumper. used to be thought of as a higher percentage shot wonder if analytics has pushed it out of the game?
Tim Duncan.

Cheaney used it ... also felt like Henderson used to use it ... some use by Newton ... but in general even when the angel presents itself it is not used anywhere near as much as it used to be.

Both Luka and KP use it a lot on the Mavs. Not so much in the 15 range but deeper in the post like what you saw from the Duncan video.

Kitchel was the best IU player to use the bank shot.

The best I ever saw was Rudy Tomjanovich.

Sam Jones would like a word.

And Sam can have it. He was definitely a glass man.

I was thinking more along the college line, in my defense.

As I recall, Sam Jones had a really pretty and accomplished "short game." Economy of motion and smooth. Rudy T was a downtown bomber and would rattle and shake the backboard with one of his bombs.

Reactions: MG80
Kitchel was the best IU player to use the bank shot.

The best I ever saw was Rudy Tomjanovich.
I’ll one up you. Celtics great and HOFer Sam Jones had the sweetest bank shot jumper the game has ever seen. Man it was a long time ago, but still a fond memory.

Reactions: Univee2
I’ll one up you. Celtics great and HOFer Sam Jones had the sweetest bank shot jumper the game has ever seen. Man it was a long time ago, but still a fond memory.

. . . Back in the day, when the NBA game was much more enjoyable than today.

Woody used the glass more than any player I ever saw. 12 - 15 ft shots from the foul line extended towards the baseline was money.
I'm too young to remember Woody, but I do remember Wittman using the glass a lot. I don't remember Kitchel doing that, though. As an elementary school kid, I did blow on my finger tips like Kitchel did before free throws, though. I wish I would've been better at actually hitting them... LOL

I'm too young to remember Woody, but I do remember Wittman using the glass a lot. I don't remember Kitchel doing that, though. As an elementary school kid, I did blow on my finger tips like Kitchel did before free throws, though. I wish I would've been better at actually hitting them... LOL
Are you sure you didn't spit on your fingers? It would make them slippery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT