ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas for last three games for thoughts

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
i know it’s late in season to start, but to potentially shake things up could IU consider any of the following:

-Actually try to use some packages for Reese Taylor tonshowcase his talents and give an alternative look to Ramsey?

-Try to use any kind of gadget play at all? Like reverse or lateral back flee flicker? Anything to shake things up 1-2 x per game?

-Try running a pass play with Stevie Scott in the game be only with Majette? If everyone on this board knows & sees that trend surely all coaching staffs do too.

-When resting Scott, actually use Ronnie Walker? Yes he had a bad fumble but that was after a 30-TD TD too. Kids make mistakes but learn from it. He has talent. Don’t punish players for making mistakes they can learn from.

-Put JShun or Whop back on kick offs and see about actually trying to be productive on Kickoff returns?

-Defense: figure out some blitz packages to try and zone protection to at least not get beaten deep.

Bye week then tthree games left. Show us some creativity with abit more of a “what do we have to lose” gunslinger mentality. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes if you are willing to be bold.

i know it’s late in season to start, but to potentially shake things up could IU consider any of the following:

-Actually try to use some packages for Reese Taylor tonshowcase his talents and give an alternative look to Ramsey?

-Try to use any kind of gadget play at all? Like reverse or lateral back flee flicker? Anything to shake things up 1-2 x per game?

-Try running a pass play with Stevie Scott in the game be only with Majette? If everyone on this board knows & sees that trend surely all coaching staffs do too.

-When resting Scott, actually use Ronnie Walker? Yes he had a bad fumble but that was after a 30-TD TD too. Kids make mistakes but learn from it. He has talent. Don’t punish players for making mistakes they can learn from.

-Put JShun or Whop back on kick offs and see about actually trying to be productive on Kickoff returns?

-Defense: figure out some blitz packages to try and zone protection to at least not get beaten deep.

Bye week then three games left. Show us some creativity with a bit more of a “what do we have to lose” gunslinger mentality. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes if you are willing to be bold.

I like the ideas.
At this point, anything IU can do to liven things up is worth trying, even if just to give the players something to look forward to.

Reactions: syddasloth
We could quick kick like some of the Corso teams did. (Just kidding) I'd settle for just taking our extra points and field goals instead of the unnecessary gambles. Allen seems to think this is the Arena League and the uprights are only 3 feet wide, but you can't keep leaving points on the field. Wilson was famous for leaving points on the field, but Allen is on a record pace to break that record this season.

Reactions: td75

Bye week then tthree games left. Show us some creativity with abit more of a “what do we have to lose” gunslinger mentality. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes if you are willing to be bold.
We tried a reverse and went for a big loss. Agree with out personnel, you have to trick them. Hate to think what Maryland is going to do to us. Much better athletes than IU.

Reactions: IUgradman

This season has been predicated on not taking risks of any kind. No down field and gimmick plays...they could do more long passing...PR is capable...but they don't call it because its high risk. I'm okay with that to a point...of losing. But to think they are going to reverse that which they spent an entire off season and 9 games is a reach at best...doesn't mean they wont...but odds are against it.

One other point I'm chewing on...we all loved the influx of frosh talent running all over the field in the early games. Many of those kids have by now used up their 4 games. We are down to our core more than earlier and those frosh still playing are wearing down. I wouldn't change the rule at all, but a more judicious approach to breaking in freshmen may be advisable in the future. I may be off base here but something has gone into the collapse of play this year...that's just a hypophysis...vbg

Use our talented tight end....8-10 times a game and loosen up the linebackers

We could quick kick like some of the Corso teams did. (Just kidding) I'd settle for just taking our extra points and field goals instead of the unnecessary gambles. Allen seems to think this is the Arena League and the uprights are only 3 feet wide, but you can't keep leaving points on the field. Wilson was famous for leaving points on the field, but Allen is on a record pace to break that record this season.

touchdowns beat field goals.

every time you settle for 3 instead of 7, you've left a potential extra 4 points on the field.

how is it the "don't leave points on the field" crowd always fails to see the obvious other side of this equation.

the ebb and flow of games inevitably encompasses periods when your team is moving the ball well, and times it isn't moving the ball as well.

when you come away from those periods when you're moving the ball well with 6 or 9 points, instead of 14 or 21 points, often are the times games are lost just as much as the times you aren't moving the ball so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxford Collapse

I agree with your point about blitzing because there is no pass rush. I want to emphasize your point about playing ZONE though when the blitz does come. Crawford and #1 have been getting torched when they send a blitz and leave those guys in man coverage. They need to play cover 3 behind those blitzes and pray they don’t get beat deep. I’d never play man coverage based on what I’ve seen, or I’d replace the safeties with corners if I did decide to play man. I like your idea because they have to generate some kind of rush, but the safeties and linebackers are liabilities if they’re ever stuck in man coverage.

while on the subject of conservatism, one of the biggest mistakes i see QBs make all the time, is overthrowing receivers when throwing down field.

been watching fb for 60 yrs, and i've still never once seen a receiver catch an overthrown ball.

on the other hand, i see receivers catch under thrown downfield balls for long gains all the time, and even when they don't catch them, under thrown down field balls often are a good chance to pick up a defensive pass interference call since the defender is running with his back to the ball in an effort to catch up, doesn't know it's under thrown, and runs into the receiver when the receiver unexpectedly pulls up due to the under throw.

especially on 3rd, (or 4th), down, a QB should never, i repeat NEVER, over throw a pass of at least 25-30 yrds downfield.

always give your receiver a chance at the catch on a downfield throw on 3rd down, (or 4th), because even if the downfield pass is picked off, it's almost or just as good as a punt anyway.

and even on 1st or 2nd down, a slight under throw downfield is much better than an over throw, and often gets caught for a long gain or defensive pass interference call.

few things drive me more nuts than an open receiver going long being over thrown.

I like the idea of forfeiting to Michigan. There is no reason for us to play that game.

In my opinion, the blitz problem is frequency and results. We seem to blitz more than I have ever seen in the past. Sure we are having trouble getting pressure with four, but we are not getting much more pressure with the blitzes and now we take people out of coverage and make it more difficult. In short, if you are not getting to QB with blitzes, don't blitz so much, because you are only adding pressure to the coverage guys. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Superstar84b
In my opinion, the blitz problem is frequency and results. We seem to blitz more than I have ever seen in the past. Sure we are having trouble getting pressure with four, but we are not getting much more pressure with the blitzes and now we take people out of coverage and make it more difficult. In short, if you are not getting to QB with blitzes, don't blitz so much, because you are only adding pressure to the coverage guys. Just my opinion.
I think that this can be offset by playing zone behind the blitz. The big reason why the blitzes are failing is because they’re deciding to put these guys in man coverage situations which is foolish. If they put them in a zone there is hope. They could also be creative and change personel. Maybe you put some speed on the field for certain blitz packages, or line a D end up at linebacker. The blitzes this season have been un-creative, an then it’s compounded by playing man coverage behind the blitz.

Reactions: Flooded Timber
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT