ADVERTISEMENT

Cincy Thoughts

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
As always I'm late to the party as I have to DVR the games. Wow that was disappointing. Cincy didn't even play very well and they won by 2 TDs.

Three red zone visits that come up empty. That's basically the game right there.

Two absolutely terrible picks by Penix. I mean awful. The first one at the end of the first half...know the situation. No need to be a hero. Worst case go into the lockerroom up 14-3 with possession of the ball first to start the 3rd quarter. Instead Cincy goes into the half down only four and with momentum in the game. The second pick he was rolling out and threw back into the middle of the field. A pud freshman hs qb knows better than to do that. Last year I was excited about Penix but said that he was rough around the edges and needed some polish. Trough three games if I had to give Penix a grade so far...I don't like going after kids but I'd give him a D. (And you could argue that's being generous.) . I'm not saying he can't or won't get better but I mean the season's only 12 games and there's only one more game before the Big Ten gauntlet. One thing I will say is Penix's long ball looked great, he's going to hit one of those sooner rather than later.

Again I'm not trying to go after guys but Fryfogle said he wants to be the best receiver in the country but he's not even the best receiver on the team. Obviously Iowa and Cincinnati have pretty good D's and I'm sure he's getting their best corner and/or double coverage on a lot of snaps but so far this year he's averaging 42 yards per game.

Oddly after that loss I actually feel better and more assured about Sheridan. The game he called today was definitely not DeBord-esque. I love the way he is using Hendershot which is one of the things I had hoped for going into the season. I also continue to think that Carr is a good all-around back. That TD pass he caught today was pretty sweet and I saw him pick up pressure more than once today giving Penix extra time to heave it long. One critique of the play-calling...on first down you don't have to run it. You can do one of those quick hitters that attack the defense laterally and function as essentially extended hand-offs. That's where DeBoer is so strong, those drive-starter plays. But Sheridan did a nice job today overall.

The defense was pretty good overall today. Twice they got stops only to have a personal foul keep the drive alive. I will say that those double-A gap blitzes that got home a lot last year don't seem to be working this year. I don't mean they aren't resulting in sacks, usually they aren't even resulting in pressure or hurries. I thought Thomas Allen was tipping that blitz and the Cincy QB checked into hot routes right behind it for easy yardage.

Indiana should have been up 17-0 or 21-0 but within about 5 minutes of that point it was 14-10. You had a feeling at that point a 'top 10' team would be hard to put away going forward. I don't know if I'm buying Cincy as a top 10 team but then again they didn't play very well and still won by 14. Indiana would have likely been ranked again had they won but another opportunity gets away from them. Cincinnati tried to give it away but Indiana wouldn't take it.

Next week's game is an important game. You know Western Kentucky is going to be fired up and that place is going to be rowdy so Indiana better show up ready to play or things will get a lot more interesting than they need to be.

Good points. I agree that the constant runs up the middle on first down are exasperating. I can see a few early to try to set the defense up, and he did go away from it a little with some success, but not late in the game like that. Still some work to do there.

The real problem yesterday was all the mistakes, and they were prolific and by everyone. Late hits on the QB, dropped passes, fumbles, interceptions on throws that should have never been made, kickoff run back for a TD, fumbled hike on 4th down. How many ways can a team find to lose a game? Welcome back to Indiana football.

As always I'm late to the party as I have to DVR the games. Wow that was disappointing. Cincy didn't even play very well and they won by 2 TDs.

Three red zone visits that come up empty. That's basically the game right there.

Two absolutely terrible picks by Penix. I mean awful. The first one at the end of the first half...know the situation. No need to be a hero. Worst case go into the lockerroom up 14-3 with possession of the ball first to start the 3rd quarter. Instead Cincy goes into the half down only four and with momentum in the game. The second pick he was rolling out and threw back into the middle of the field. A pud freshman hs qb knows better than to do that. Last year I was excited about Penix but said that he was rough around the edges and needed some polish. Trough three games if I had to give Penix a grade so far...I don't like going after kids but I'd give him a D. (And you could argue that's being generous.) . I'm not saying he can't or won't get better but I mean the season's only 12 games and there's only one more game before the Big Ten gauntlet. One thing I will say is Penix's long ball looked great, he's going to hit one of those sooner rather than later.

Again I'm not trying to go after guys but Fryfogle said he wants to be the best receiver in the country but he's not even the best receiver on the team. Obviously Iowa and Cincinnati have pretty good D's and I'm sure he's getting their best corner and/or double coverage on a lot of snaps but so far this year he's averaging 42 yards per game.

Oddly after that loss I actually feel better and more assured about Sheridan. The game he called today was definitely not DeBord-esque. I love the way he is using Hendershot which is one of the things I had hoped for going into the season. I also continue to think that Carr is a good all-around back. That TD pass he caught today was pretty sweet and I saw him pick up pressure more than once today giving Penix extra time to heave it long. One critique of the play-calling...on first down you don't have to run it. You can do one of those quick hitters that attack the defense laterally and function as essentially extended hand-offs. That's where DeBoer is so strong, those drive-starter plays. But Sheridan did a nice job today overall.

The defense was pretty good overall today. Twice they got stops only to have a personal foul keep the drive alive. I will say that those double-A gap blitzes that got home a lot last year don't seem to be working this year. I don't mean they aren't resulting in sacks, usually they aren't even resulting in pressure or hurries. I thought Thomas Allen was tipping that blitz and the Cincy QB checked into hot routes right behind it for easy yardage.

Indiana should have been up 17-0 or 21-0 but within about 5 minutes of that point it was 14-10. You had a feeling at that point a 'top 10' team would be hard to put away going forward. I don't know if I'm buying Cincy as a top 10 team but then again they didn't play very well and still won by 14. Indiana would have likely been ranked again had they won but another opportunity gets away from them. Cincinnati tried to give it away but Indiana wouldn't take it.

Next week's game is an important game. You know Western Kentucky is going to be fired up and that place is going to be rowdy so Indiana better show up ready to play or things will get a lot more interesting than they need to be.
You make some really good points that i agree with.

I wanted to watch the recording at home away from the emotion of the game and after my headache passed.

First, it was great to be back for a FB Sat...it has been too long and I did not attend the Idaho game. The crowd was great...they went inside and the vast majority stayed after halftime which is an unusual sight to see. The students were great and they stayed until the game was decided.. Damned hot though.

You and others covered a lot of performance stuff, there was progress in some areas including O play callig and OL play. I don't know if LEO means that when a player gets booted for a very marginal targeting call that everyone goes into a shared funk?? I hoped that the opposite would be true. It was like a light switch. Fry...wtf?? Allen worked very hard to come back and he will have a great career in business or coaching but he is not ready to play.

MP is a tragic figure. He reminds me so much of Robbie Hummel, a great talent that has had unfair luck (worse actually). He was rubbing his left elbow a lot on the sidelines...I hope he doesn't have another issue.

Cincy is a good team but IU gave that game away in ways covered here thoroughly. Cincy has some punks on their roster particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

This team has the ability IMO to win six games and get to a marginal bowl. I hope they prove me wrong.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
This team has the ability IMO to win six games and get to a marginal bowl. I hope they prove me wrong.
you make it sounds like you hope we don't win 6

i know that's not what you meant

but since you brought it up, winning 6 may be difficult

the remaining teams on our schedule are all playing pretty well

i'd hate to see it come down to #6 at lafayette

you make it sounds like you hope we don't win 6

i know that's not what you meant

but since you brought it up, winning 6 may be difficult

the remaining teams on our schedule are all playing pretty well

i'd hate to see it come down to #6 at lafayette
Ha yeah, I see that...never post while hung over.

Definitely need to get 6 prior to the bucket as keeping us out of a bowl would guarantee a sucessful season in WL regardless of their record so they will be motivated.

Ha yeah, I see that...never post while hung over.

Definitely need to get 6 prior to the bucket as keeping us out of a bowl would guarantee a sucessful season in WL regardless of their record so they will be motivated.
excuse accepted

you have good reason to be hung over

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Ha, love hwne my personal stalker creates new names just to "like" my posts. Five times a week at least Rent Free.

The more I have seen of Penix, I am beginning to think that a lot of “questionable” play calling from Sheridan has been more about masking and/or compensating for Penix not being ready. But then that begs the question why he’s been playing in the first place. Not sure if that’s a lack of confidence in Tuttle, or if there was hope that the game reps would accelerate Penix getting ready.

Also, it would understandable if Penix’s main issues were timing or throwing mechanics, but his decision making has been very poor all season, which goes beyond just being just being rusty. that failed QB sneak on 4th down was 100% on Penix because he didn’t realize the spot was a solid 4ft from first down. There was clearly a plan from Allen/Sheridan to go for it on 4th and to go for the sneak if close enough, which would have been fine, but there was probably a yardage dependent play call that Penix got wrong

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT