ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if Tayven is in the mix?

OpenWheels

Junior
Sep 2, 2023
I know Tayven (and McCulley) was 2nd team in the spring game. Tayven looked very good, but the defense was clearly tougher against the 1s. (Was any of it QB play?) But Tayven showed, I believe, what good coaching is going to do for a talented kid with a great arm.

One of the most interesting things to me will be, not the coaches final pecking order at any position, or even if it's clear they made the right call at every position. They know, we don't. More whether the guys on the team feel it's open competition. I expect they do, and I expect it is.

I just recall the first time I heard Coach Cig mention Tayven in a spring presser. It was when he caught himself speaking as if Rourke was the incumbent, then he said "and Tayven". But it didn't seem reluctant, more of a feel to me like "uhh, we do have this other kid" as if Tayven was surprising him and he was actually a little uncomfortable, making me hope their were no hard promises to Rourke. Of course after the spring game Coach Cig's grin about the 2nd team dee went back the other way, 'don't read too much into one scrimmage..." lol

Now, if it's Rourke after fall camp. I think he'll kill it. But I think Tayven has a chance to also. Also, hope we keep him in the off-season to battle Cherry and others. Rourke is one and done.

I thought Tayven had more pop on his passes and the ball came out of his hand quicker than I remember. Any thought of the incoming freshmen passing him was put to rest for me. Coaching and a year of experience has likely been good for him.

Rourke has an experience advantage and may prove to have the leadership on the field to march the team down the field. I wouldn't expect the chemistry and full potential of a new QB to show up after a few practices. I'm also not convinced the receivers were divided up as 1st and 2nd team, or how they will start the season.

I know Tayven (and McCulley) was 2nd team in the spring game. Tayven looked very good, but the defense was clearly tougher against the 1s. (Was any of it QB play?) But Tayven showed, I believe, what good coaching is going to do for a talented kid with a great arm.

One of the most interesting things to me will be, not the coaches final pecking order at any position, or even if it's clear they made the right call at every position. They know, we don't. More whether the guys on the team feel it's open competition. I expect they do, and I expect it is.

I just recall the first time I heard Coach Cig mention Tayven in a spring presser. It was when he caught himself speaking as if Rourke was the incumbent, then he said "and Tayven". But it didn't seem reluctant, more of a feel to me like "uhh, we do have this other kid" as if Tayven was surprising him and he was actually a little uncomfortable, making me hope their were no hard promises to Rourke. Of course after the spring game Coach Cig's grin about the 2nd team dee went back the other way, 'don't read too much into one scrimmage..." lol

Now, if it's Rourke after fall camp. I think he'll kill it. But I think Tayven has a chance to also. Also, hope we keep him in the off-season to battle Cherry and others. Rourke is one and done.
Imo we have some competition at the QB position. And that's a very good thing.

Last edited:
I would think he’s in the mix, but realistically I expect Rourke this year with Tayven as the 2. Ideally, Red Shirt Cherry and Mendoza and Tayven takes over next year while Cherry and Mendoza continue to develop. I expect Tayven to continue to develop under Tino and basic maturity with being a year older. The QB room is set up very nicely as it stands right now.

Both QB's no matter which 1 starts or we favor will be far better this year vs. last simply with more maturity and superior QB and offensive coaching. I really believe the offensive ride this season will be an attention holder for us all.

Coach Cig did mention early on that he is intrigued to see what Tino can do with Tayven. I think they like him but it will be very hard to pass up the experience that Rourke brings. Still if they can get Tayven some time in mop up games and have him ready should Rourke goes down it will be a good deal. Cherry did not look at all ready so a couple years behind Rourke and Tayven will be just right for him.

Coach Cig did mention early on that he is intrigued to see what Tino can do with Tayven. I think they like him but it will be very hard to pass up the experience that Rourke brings. Still if they can get Tayven some time in mop up games and have him ready should Rourke goes down it will be a good deal. Cherry did not look at all ready so a couple years behind Rourke and Tayven will be just right for him.
As a long time CG fan (and resident), I can tell you for certain Cherry is a more poised QB than Tayven. And probably has better touch on his deep throws. Can Tayven learn to overcome those things and improve? Absolutely. And I hope he does. Good coaching might just turn him into a stud. Then Cherry will take over in 2-3 years just like he did at CG. It's a darn nice problem to have.

As a long time CG fan (and resident), I can tell you for certain Cherry is a more poised QB than Tayven. And probably has better touch on his deep throws. Can Tayven learn to overcome those things and improve? Absolutely. And I hope he does. Good coaching might just turn him into a stud. Then Cherry will take over in 2-3 years just like he did at CG. It's a darn nice problem to have.
If Lewis comes to IU that won't happen. Lewis is very good and come in like the QB at Nebraska did and have fans want to see.

Tayven's throws looked terrific. Anyone who can throw the ball like that is going to play somewhere, whether at IU or elsewhere.

Just wondering if you are making that comparison to how Tayven looked against D1 competition or when he faced high school competition?

I admittedly don’t remember much about Tayven as a recruit, but I have to imagine that he looked significantly more poised in high school as well.

The one thing We know about the Quarterback position is that very few teams get through a Year playing only One QB. The injury factor is always there and the 2nd Qb usually gets some significant game time. Tayven is likely to get some time this year.
Long term, if our Young Quarterbacks improve and/or We get another Quarterback in the Portal, maybe We should consider moving Tayven to another position. Maybe He can be the next McCulley, and develop into a reliable Receiver. If He wants to get on the field consistently for His last two years, this could be His best option.

I thought Tayven looked like a different QB in the Spring game. He was decisive in his passes and had some real pop on his short throws.

Where I think he gets into trouble is his long passes. He throws a nice ball, but they seem to float and that give the DB time to get in position for a break up or INT. On the other hand, he's fairly accurate in his throws.

I really liked what I saw of him in the Spring game and I'm not a big Tayven fan so far. The fact he's sticking around is kind of surprising to me - a pleasant surprise. If he uses this year to learn and take coaching, I think he'll be in great position to start his last 2 years here.

The one thing We know about the Quarterback position is that very few teams get through a Year playing only One QB. The injury factor is always there and the 2nd Qb usually gets some significant game time. Tayven is likely to get some time this year.
Long term, if our Young Quarterbacks improve and/or We get another Quarterback in the Portal, maybe We should consider moving Tayven to another position. Maybe He can be the next McCulley, and develop into a reliable Receiver. If He wants to get on the field consistently for His last two years, this could be His best option.
I don't think this makes any sense. It reminds me of Coach Bell seeming to think he could use Tayven to also run, when he really didn't appear to be that type of QB or athlete.

Tayven got beat out last year, but it was close. He threw a nice ball and made some decent decisions. But the early part of the year it was coaching. The Walt Bell / Tom Allen offense was SO absolutely vanilla and did I mention UGLY that Peyton Manning would've looked like a total stiff.

Sorsby is more natural at creating time, he is a better scrambler, so he was better for that bad offense. I thought Tayven threw a prettier ball, but also that Tayven needed a pocket. Tayven's a very strong prospect. I hadn't realized he would still have two years after this one. I expect he develops. I can't see him moving to another position.

I don't think this makes any sense. It reminds me of Coach Bell seeming to think he could use Tayven to also run, when he really didn't appear to be that type of QB or athlete.

Tayven got beat out last year, but it was close. He threw a nice ball and made some decent decisions. But the early part of the year it was coaching. The Walt Bell / Tom Allen offense was SO absolutely vanilla and did I mention UGLY that Peyton Manning would've looked like a total stiff.

Sorsby is more natural at creating time, he is a better scrambler, so he was better for that bad offense. I thought Tayven threw a prettier ball, but also that Tayven needed a pocket. Tayven's a very strong prospect. I hadn't realized he would still have two years after this one. I expect he develops. I can't see him moving to another position.
These coaches really improve QBs and has a very good passing offense that makes them look good. We haven't seen coaches like these at Indiana in a long time so enjoy what this season is and who they pull in as a QB. Look at Nebraska with their new QB, do you really think they care who leaves; neither should we if Lewis comes to IU,

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
These coaches really improve QBs and has a very good passing offense that makes them look good. We haven't seen coaches like these at Indiana in a long time so enjoy what this season is and who they pull in as a QB. Look at Nebraska with their new QB, do you really think they care who leaves; neither should we if Lewis comes to IU,
If Lewis comes to IU, and likely sits because he won't be ready, he can train while getting paid big money, then in the offseason field another round of offers

Reactions: red hornet
If Lewis comes to IU, and likely sits because he won't be ready, he can train while getting paid big money, then in the offseason field another round of offers
I wouldn't be sure he sits but if he does then it would be one year only unless the others work really hard to win the job. No matter what, if Lewis comes to IU, IU will have great QBs due to these coaches. If the other QBs leave so be it.

Just wondering if you are making that comparison to how Tayven looked against D1 competition or when he faced high school competition?

I admittedly don’t remember much about Tayven as a recruit, but I have to imagine that he looked significantly more poised in high school as well.
It’s poise and toughness. Expecting TJ to run much is a mistake. Keeping him clean in the pocket is his game.

My son’s team (Cathedral) played Center Grove all 4 years. Cherry was a much better QB than Tayven in my honest opinion. Tayven played alongside an all world RB in Carson Steele for most of his time there and CG was still a heavy run-first team. CG completely changed their offense to tailor to Cherry’s skill set.

My son’s team (Cathedral) played Center Grove all 4 years. Cherry was a much better QB than Tayven in my honest opinion. Tayven played alongside an all world RB in Carson Steele for most of his time there and CG was still a heavy run-first team. CG completely changed their offense to tailor to Cherry’s skill set.
Exactly right. Tayven took periodic shots downfield after Carson bludgeoned teams half to death. His best throwing game was probably the state final game his sophomore year against Carmel. He had to throw to get CG back in the game and did a great job. Cherry started throwing the ball all around the yard from his first snap his junior year.

Exactly right. Tayven took periodic shots downfield after Carson bludgeoned teams half to death. His best throwing game was probably the state final game his sophomore year against Carmel. He had to throw to get CG back in the game and did a great job. Cherry started throwing the ball all around the yard from his first snap his junior year.
He isn't doing very well in camp. With more time he will do well but it is too early in his career.

If Jackson works hard the Summer and in the Fall he will be in the mix. In practice he isn't as good as our starting QB but Jackson could move up in practice showing he is the best QB right now. Going against #2 defense doesn't show he is the best.

I thought Tayven had more pop on his passes and the ball came out of his hand quicker than I remember. Any thought of the incoming freshmen passing him was put to rest for me. Coaching and a year of experience has likely been good for him.

Rourke has an experience advantage and may prove to have the leadership on the field to march the team down the field. I wouldn't expect the chemistry and full potential of a new QB to show up after a few practices. I'm also not convinced the receivers were divided up as 1st and 2nd team, or how they will start the season.
I agree. His performance stood out to me. Very live arm.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT