ADVERTISEMENT

I witnessed a playing partner shooting two strokes better than his age today.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
We had three foursomes this afternoon and played Shadowood in Seymour, IN because Timbergate had an event today. One of the guys in our foursome was 84 years old and he shot an 82 to help lead us to a win. We were -10 on the front nine and -9 on the back nine for an 18-hole total of -19. That said, we won the front, tied for the back and won the total.

Most of the guys in our group played the middle tees, but he played a shorter set of tees. Still, he came through for us under pressure in our two-best-ball format. There were numerous times that we needed a putt to keep from losing a stroke and he came through every time. It was amazing!

We teed off at 12:15 this afternoon and had to battle light rain most of our round. I had two birdies today and one of them counted as a net eagle because we were using our handicaps. Mine was a 14 today, by the way.

We had three foursomes this afternoon and played Shadowood in Seymour, IN because Timbergate had an event today. One of the guys in our foursome was 84 years old and he shot an 82 to help lead us to a win. We were -10 on the front nine and -9 on the back nine for an 18-hole total of -19. That said, we won the front, tied for the back and won the total.

Most of the guys in our group played the middle tees, but he played a shorter set of tees. Still, he came through for us under pressure in our two-best-ball format. There were numerous times that we needed a putt to keep from losing a stroke and he came through every time. It was amazing!

We teed off at 12:15 this afternoon and had to battle light rain most of our round. I had two birdies today and one of them counted as a net eagle because we were using our handicaps. Mine was a 14 today, by the way.
Big deal, I shot 10 strokes better last time out.

Oh, you mean for 18?

That should have been ruled as an outside agent. It happened to us once when a co-worker and I were playing at Las Vegas.

I am getting closer. Turned 70 in May and shot a 74 on vacation at Boyne Mountain Monument course this week.

Shooting my age has always been a goal of mine. I can remember the first year I thought about it the closest I came was 23 strokes (a long time ago). Four strokes is the closest I have come.

I am getting closer. Turned 70 in May and shot a 74 on vacation at Boyne Mountain Monument course this week.

Shooting my age has always been a goal of mine. I can remember the first year I thought about it the closest I came was 23 strokes (a long time ago). Four strokes is the closest I have come.
The best I've ever shot was a 73. It was at Bright Leaf in Kentucky and I was in my 50s from an age perspective.

Reactions: Walt542
The best I've ever shot was a 73. It was at Bright Leaf in Kentucky and I was in my 50s from an age perspective.
That’s good playing! I had one even par 72 a few years ago. Never broke par for 18 holes. 73 a few times, a few more 74s but not that many so I was pretty happy with my round.

I've never been even par for 18 holes. One year at Harrison Lake Country Club, I ad a +6 42 on the front nine and an even-par 36 on the back nine. I had to birdie No. 18 to shoot even par on the back nine.

That day, I was playing with a master pro (Harrison Lake's former head pro) and my dentist buddy. Needless to say, we won a lot of money from our buddies that day.

Reactions: kkott

Im' 85 and have shot my age or better for 20 consecutive years starting at 66.
Lost track but probably over 400 times.
That is amazing! I'm now 69 and haven't come close to shooting my age yet.

Im' 85 and have shot my age or better for 20 consecutive years starting at 66.
Lost track but probably over 400 times.
Very impressive! I have a few friends that can do that regularly. It is great fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT