ADVERTISEMENT

I Thought UCLA Was Flat and Overlooked Us Too

Turns out those saying UCLA is bad, are correct. Hawaii got waxed by Sam Houston State.

But we played great. Both can be true. I don't think they overlooked us at all. They needed this one and didn't come close.

I think our receivers can do even better, some contested catches where the defense is early, we never get those calls. And it'll get tougher in the rest of the big. We need to go get the ball with our hands. But a very good and deep group! So nice to have.

Fingers crossed to let's stay healthy on both lines.

A very dominant victory with some historical implications. These are the kind of games Indiana seldom wins, it feels GREAT.

Cignetti is pretty darn impressive. To go three time zones away and hammer UCLA in the Rose Bowl is top shelf.

I don’t think they overlooked us but clearly they aren’t as good as they expected to be. They just aren’t a well coached team. It’s going to be a race between them, PU and Northwestern to not finish last and right now, the look to be the leader in the clubhouse as the cellar dweller.

When I saw Foster come out on the sideline with his fingers taped up I immediately thought of the Nebraska game in 2019 and the black shirt attempt to win a game on gimmicks. Just as it is with IU basketball, it is going to take much more than history and gimmicks to beat a well coached disciplined team; UCLA has a lot of work to do. Meanwhile . . . Go IU !!!

Rourke was sharp as a razor.
Receivers caught great.
OL protected him great.
OL gave our RBs room to be very active and efficient

We played GREAT

Beat Charlotte
Yes 26 - 123 (4.2) and 307 (9.3) is a modern offensive approach … RB by committee is a superior approach to the bell cow back with deeper defensive rotations. Bostad has improved the OL every game so far … Rourke had clean pockets early and often v. UCLA … so much so that IU overcame penalties that would have stopped drives in the past and scored TDs instead. Evans didn’t punt until the end of the game.

Yes 26 - 123 (4.2) and 307 (9.3) is a modern offensive approach … RB by committee is a superior approach to the bell cow back with deeper defensive rotations. Bostad has improved the OL every game so far … Rourke had clean pockets early and often v. UCLA … so much so that IU overcame penalties that would have stopped drives in the past and scored TDs instead. Evans didn’t punt until the end of the game.
Yes!! Blocking continues to improve. Bostad doing wonders with this OL. Also notable is just how well IU line and RBs kept picking up UCLA blitzers, giving KR time to set his feet and finish throws!!

Now, kudos to the receivers too!! FIU game had way too many drops, but since then, every guy out there (and there have been a lot so far) has been making catch after catch.
Hoping McCulley will be able to join the party soon.

I don’t think they overlooked us. They just aren’t that good. Plus their first series fumble put them in a hole. I thought their offense looked improved from their first game. It is a solid win for IU.
I don't know why someone would believe they overlooked us. A team that just barely got by a not so good Hawaii team and was an underdog at home, doesn't overlook teams. The fact we won the game was expected based on the spread, but what really caught the eyes of everyone was the manner in which we won the game on road and that was unexpected.

I saw that DraftKing has us -27.5 against Charlotte as of right now. Charlotte starts a true freshman QB and they were without their leading rusher in their one-point win over Gardner Webb. I'm not into wagering, but if that number stays there or stays around there, I would give the points and take IU.

I think we had 14 penalties. Hard to win with that many, but didn't slow us down at all.

Still need to clean those up.

Our biggest asset in this game, in the passing game, was our RBs ability to pick up the blitzer. All of them were great. Lawton and Ellison particularly picked up a ton of heat that UCLA was bringing. If you watch the game tape, they brought someone every passing down. Clearly, their formula was to rattle Rourke and put him under pressure and he killed them with quick passes to completely disable this tactic.
And then, when they brought the house and just left 1-on-1 coverage with no help, he just threw a perfect lob to Cross who had beat his guy. But those RBs were great on pass protection.

Our biggest asset in this game, in the passing game, was our RBs ability to pick up the blitzer. All of them were great. Lawton and Ellison particularly picked up a ton of heat that UCLA was bringing. If you watch the game tape, they brought someone every passing down. Clearly, their formula was to rattle Rourke and put him under pressure and he killed them with quick passes to completely disable this tactic.
And then, when they brought the house and just left 1-on-1 coverage with no help, he just threw a perfect lob to Cross who had beat his guy. But those RBs were great on pass protection.
I was very impressed with the blocks from RBs, particularly Ellison.

It was a passing clinic that Rourke put together. His accuracy and overall poise bode well for the balance of the season.

Perhaps my favorite play was when he scanned the field only to come back to a wide open Zach Horton on the sideline who then proceeds to run for a first down. Certainly not the sexiest play but a testimony to how poised Rourke is.

Short pass. Solid run. Effective blocking. Extended drives.

UCLA wanted out by the 4th quarter.

That was as good of a QB game as I have ever seen from an IU QB. Ever. He played like a machine. A Terminator. Just enough talent. Just enough brain. Just unstoppable. Total control.

He is gonna be a problem for everybody on our schedule.

I caught some of those HB blocks that brought the defenders to the ground. On one of the ULCA blitz's we threw deep on, there were two DL and one LB laying on the ground at the same time. It's really easy to look downfield for open targets when their big guys in the front take a nap for a couple seconds in the middle of a play.

Anyways, early in the game I noticed we weren't running it at all but UCLA was stacking the box, every play, in hopes of stopping our run game and bring pressure to the pass game. Which, based on our first couple of games, that might've seemed like the best approach based on the limited holes we have shown. But.....If a team wants to try and go man-2-man on our WR depth, Rourke will take their lunch with quick releases. With Sheridan and Bell we would force a run regardless, thinking we were keeping the defense honest and take a loss of 3.

The season is early and its likely we will get tested and brought back down to earth at some point but until we do...we're on a retribution tour!!!! ha

This

UCLA may only be better than Northwestern, MD and Purdue but IU did what they needed to do and did it three time zones away, convincingly and with a ton of adversity thrown at them.
It really looked like a "business trip". Very dominating. Listening to their vlogs the fans were very surprised and disappointed.

Reactions: 76-1
I don't know why someone would believe they overlooked us. A team that just barely got by a not so good Hawaii team and was an underdog at home, doesn't overlook teams. The fact we won the game was expected based on the spread, but what really caught the eyes of everyone was the manner in which we won the game on road and that was unexpected.

I saw that DraftKing has us -27.5 against Charlotte as of right now. Charlotte starts a true freshman QB and they were without their leading rusher in their one-point win over Gardner Webb. I'm not into wagering, but if that number stays there or stays around there, I would give the points and take IU.
I made a nice little bit of coin on Saturday betting the Hoosiers. I created a parlay with IU on the moneyline, over 25.5 points, Rourke over 225 yards passing, Ellison anytime TD, and IU +1.5 in the 1st quarter. It had +1382 odds and I bet $20 to win $298. I should've bet $100

I may end up being wrong, but there's no way I'd put Maryland in that conversation as worst teams in the B1G.

I agree with you. Maryland has some serious talent, including a guy who might be the best WR in the conference. And the QB Edwards is considerably better than I thought he'd be. Their head coach is mediocre at best, but on a good day they could beat anyone other than the top 4 teams in the conference. On a bad day they could lose anyone other than Purdue.

I made a nice little bit of coin on Saturday betting the Hoosiers. I created a parlay with IU on the moneyline, over 25.5 points, Rourke over 225 yards passing, Ellison anytime TD, and IU +1.5 in the 1st quarter. It had +1382 odds and I bet $20 to win $298. I should've bet $100
I hurt the books myself. Took IU against the spread. Put a 3 team parlay together of Oklahoma, Ok. St. and So. Carolina. House $ for near the rest of the season.

UCLA wanted out by the 4th quarter.

That was as good of a QB game as I have ever seen from an IU QB. Ever. He played like a machine. A Terminator. Just enough talent. Just enough brain. Just unstoppable. Total control.

He is gonna be a problem for everybody on our schedule.
I totally agree with you on Rourke’a game Saturday, but the geniuses at PFF only graded him as a 63.9, which is slightly above average. I have no clue who that “grader” was, but he sure wasn’t watching the same game we were.

Yes, that was really the only issue we had with 127 yards in penalties with 45 yards of that coming from the two targeting penalties and the roughing the passer penalty which we had some heart burn over.
Our saving grace on the penalties was that UCLA wasn't stingy about committing them as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT