ADVERTISEMENT

I think I've discovered what's wrong with the modern world

That is crazy. I was just thinking that I dont even know where one is now

They still have a lot of locations. During the pandemic they closed a lot of stores and remodeled them to fit the new business model. Again, my one anecdotal experience was very good. But that could have just been that location. But it was like a brand new restaurant inside.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
They still have a lot of locations. During the pandemic they closed a lot of stores and remodeled them to fit the new business model. Again, my one anecdotal experience was very good. But that could have just been that location. But it was like a brand new restaurant inside.
They kept the branding the same, though. Gonna take some time to work back all that ill will.

I think they pay pretty well for fast food. The one by me always has a group of teens and early 20's kids working there.

Whatever they are doing, it's working. As mentioned, the service level is better than a lot of casual chain full service restaurant where you are tipping a server... they get teenagers that actually give a shit, and can actually speak to you confidently.....it's amazing.

I like Culver's, but I think it's an abomination that they call their burger a butter burger just because they butter the bun. That's not a butter burger. F*ck you, Culver's.
Culver’s is second only to Chik Fil A in fast food deliciousness and service quality

Culver’s is second only to Chik Fil A in fast food deliciousness and service quality

I've been to Culvers once. Lazkowski opened his in Bton right before Covid hit but stayed afloat. Maybe three months ago I talked the Boss into checking it out. I didn't realize it was counter service rather than sit down with server. I was thinking it would be like Steak N Shake. Food was good though, and plenty of it.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I love Culver's. I'm just saying, that's not really a butter burger. A real butter burger is when you put a pat of butter on the patty while it's grilling. It's not just buttering a damn bum. Everyone butters the damn bun.
Don’t let your pedantry ruin deliciousness. Get the mushroom Swiss burger, close your eyes, and chew slowly.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Forget the added cost. Imagine the types of people who actually take these sorts of gigs. Now imagine them driving around vaping in their nasty ass Hyundais while your food rolls around in god knows what sort of filth.

And yes, I've worked in restaurants and I'm well aware of the sorts of dudes you'll find working the line in the kitchen. That can't be helped.
Yeah the undeserving who do these jobs a lot of times have to supplement their social security payments in order to pay for frivolous expenditures like healthcare and rent.

Be a bitch to work there tho. They’ve got em standing on the lot like animals rain sleet or snow. Must give IGW a full boner of outrage every time he gets a lemonade and some nugs
But the workers are always smiling and in a good mood. Maybe they give them some good drugs?

I'm not intimately familiar with Chic-Fil-A, but I would not be surprised to find that it is a company that attracts high-level talent and produces consistently excellent food. The business model has several things going for it that many other chains lack:

1. No franchises. Every location is corporate-owned. This means people who see the company as a career aren't looking at a hard ceiling. If you do well, there's always another position above you that you can aspire to. I'd bet money a huge chunk of their upper level operations leadership has been with the company for years, and probably started as assistant managers or shift leaders, or even line cooks. Our local Pizza Hut franchise here operates similarly, always promoting from within, but they only have about 40 locations, so once you're an area supervisor of some kind (I think Pizza Hut calls them "district coaches" or something), there's nothing else to do, because you're basically reporting directly to ownership. With a company the size of Chic-Fil-A, the same area supervisor is in the running to become a regional director of ops, and then perhaps even a regional VP.
2. Small menu. Restaurant owners hate this truth, because they feel like they are always missing out on potential sales by not offering whatever is hot, but there is no better indicator of food quality in a restaurant than the size of the menu. The smaller the menu, the better the food is likely to be, because fewer items sell in higher quantities, meaning they are fresher, smaller menus are easier to learn and perfect, meaning the production is of higher quality, and a narrow focus makes it more likely the company can become one of the best at something. You can get dozens of very different mediocre items at Arby's, but you won't find anything that's excellent. Next time you sit down in a joint that has a ten-page menu, and notice they offer something off-the-wall like a meatloaf sandwich, look around the size of the dining room and ask yourself two questions: How many people in a week do I think really order the meatloaf? and How long is meatloaf actually good for?
3. Closed on Sundays. Serious restaurant people hate working Sundays. It's the foodservice equivalent of having to go into the office on Saturday morning after you just completed a long work week. Again, that helps attract better talent.

If I knew someone young who wanted to get into foodservice, and wasn't averse to working in fast food, I'd definitely put Chic-Fil-A on the list of companies they should look at.
Have you seen the house the owner of Pizza Huts in Fort Wayne owns? In Aboit Township.

Niiii-iiice.......

Exactly. Super weird. And he had to work there. I remain he went through a ton to get it. And I don’t think his profits are limitless. Very odd model. Very selective
You don't actually pay for the franchise, right? They select you and then train you and set you up. I'm sure they take theirs off the top, but my understanding is there is no cost to entry, or extremely low.

Seems like a pretty small investment for getting to share in the profits, though. I may have to redact point #1 above until I learn more about this. If the company owns the restaurant, but the franchisee pays a fee to operate it, is that like basically purchasing yourself a GM job? Because if that's the case, then that might very well create a hard ceiling that people can't cross by way of promotion.
I think you can own multiple franchises. Not sure about that, though.

Yeah the undeserving who do these jobs a lot of times have to supplement their social security payments in order to pay for frivolous expenditures like healthcare and rent.
Which shift do you work?

I think you're right. Nice digs, though.

Oh, for sure.

It was up for sale at one time. Don't know if it sold, but when it was on sale, it was the most expensive piece of property on sale in Indiana.

Reactions: DANC
Oh, for sure.

It was up for sale at one time. Don't know if it sold, but when it was on sale, it was the most expensive piece of property on sale in Indiana.
My cousin used to live in an addition just east of that place. Cousin had a Y2K (remember that?) party and at midnight, we went outside and watched the fireworks show from that guys's place. WOW! What a blowout!

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
My cousin used to live in an addition just east of that place. Cousin had a Y2K (remember that?) party and at midnight, we went outside and watched the fireworks show from that guys's place. WOW! What a blowout!
We went to New Orleans for y2k. We were there 36 hours and I didn’t bring luggage. No outfit change. When I left I had a perfect shoe print in the center of my back. No idea how. Guess I got donkey kicked at some point. People on the plane were laughing

• Haha
I love Culver's. I'm just saying, that's not really a butter burger. A real butter burger is when you put a pat of butter on the patty while it's grilling. It's not just buttering a damn bum. Everyone butters the damn bun.
So question for you GOAT or anyone in Bloomington? A Is Hinkles still as good as it used to be? I always loved that onion smashed burger.

I think you're right. Nice digs, though.

It was designed after some European castle. There were multiple buildings on the property, probably still are, but the main one was 50,000 sq ft and cost $37,000,000 to build in 1997. It was for sale several years ago for $30 million. I don't think it sold. I live close enough to ride my bike past this place, but it's pretty hidden and you can't really see that much from the road.

It does have a 6000 sq foot equestrian facility in the event Rick Pitino ever wants to come coach IPFW.

Dick Freeland died in 2013.

lp_13_original_1557512090-1-768x374.jpg

It was designed after some European castle. There were multiple buildings on the property, probably still are, but the main one was 50,000 sq ft and cost $37,000,000 to build in 1997. It was for sale several years ago for $30 million. I don't think it sold. I live close enough to ride my bike past this place, but it's pretty hidden and you can't really see that much from the road.

It does have a 6000 sq foot equestrian facility in the event Rick Pitino ever wants to come coach IPFW.

Dick Freeland died in 2013.

lp_13_original_1557512090-1-768x374.jpg
My wife had cousins who lived around there - one in an addition east of there and one south on road running by the grounds.

You're right - you can't see much from the road, but what you can see looks damn impressive! They had to sell a lot of pizzas to get that place!

My wife had cousins who lived around there - one in an addition east of there and one south on road running by the grounds.

You're right - you can't see much from the road, but what you can see looks damn impressive! They had to sell a lot of pizzas to get that place!
Pizza Huts are cash cows. They only closed one location during Covid, and that was only because it was a location that did almost no delivery business; it made all its money from dine-in.

You must be a long lost brother. I would suggest getting a sausage roll next time, they take 2X as long to make.... it should make it, by my calculations, a 2-3 beer long wait
I’m not a scientist (or much of anything at all), but unless you’re shot gunning those beers, there is 0 percent chance you can finish 2-3 before the sausage roll is finished. Maybe a half beer…..maybe.

LOL, go to the wiki and look at the picture of the sandwich, and try not to throw up.

When they had clean workers and cared it was the gold standard of fast food. Never in your life have you ever tasted so much salt. Construction workers lined up for blocks to get those roast beef sandwiches. How many times did I scream F*UCK THE LINE’S TOO LONG!!!!! That place was the real deal bitch

Reactions: Indianaftw
I’ve never used a food delivery service. That and never having a FB account are the 2 things that will appear on my headstone.
Mine is going to be an offshoot of Wyman’s.

“I’d rather be here than the live in the city”

They had to sell a lot of pizzas to get that place!

Well he owned a couple of KFC's too, but not many compared to the Pizza Huts. Probably just for beer money. He actually started at Pizza Hut as a part time employee.

Here's something I didn't know. He was a partner in the Pizza Hut/KFC business in Poland and the Czech Republic.

• Wow
I think they pay pretty well for fast food. The one by me always has a group of teens and early 20's kids working there.
I think it’s probably a great first job for most teenagers. They must learn a lot in a well read run business like that.

I like Culver's, but I think it's an abomination that they call their burger a butter burger just because they butter the bun. That's not a butter burger. F*ck you, Culver's.
I hate when a restaurant grills the bun with butter. I always tell them no butter in the bun. There’s plenty of grease and fat on a burger without that. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT