ADVERTISEMENT

I think I've discovered what's wrong with the modern world

I'm watching my Uber Eats driver deliver my dinner on the map on the app (hey it rhymes!) and my thumb is automatically fumbling around for the fast forward button.

Intellectually, I know that's ridiculous, but that's where my brain goes. I don't think that speaks well to our future.
Hang in there man.
I wish I had good news for you as you get older.
I don’t.
But hang in there!

I'm watching my Uber Eats driver deliver my dinner on the map on the app (hey it rhymes!) and my thumb is automatically fumbling around for the fast forward button.

Intellectually, I know that's ridiculous, but that's where my brain goes. I don't think that speaks well to our future.

TL;DR...
th_coffee.gif

OK, there's no way to say this without making it a personal attack, but how lazy do you have to be to use Uber Eats or Door Dash?

You pay way more than what you would pay just going and getting it yourself and IT'S NOT HOT WHEN YOU GET IT.

Kids these days - this is why there's no hope for the future.

At least tell us what you ordered

• Haha
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
OK, there's no way to say this without making it a personal attack, but how lazy do you have to be to use Uber Eats or Door Dash?

You pay way more than what you would pay just going and getting it yourself and IT'S NOT HOT WHEN YOU GET IT.

When I came to IU there was a history professor, Professor Fears. He was great, he taught classes in Roman history, Greek, the Middle East. The classes were always in the largest lecture halls and sold out.

Anyway, in a class on Alexander the Great he started talking about the college students of today (circa 1980) ordering pizza delivery. He said that Alexander wouldn't passively wait on a pizza to come to him, he would go out and take what he wanted. Waiting on a pizza doesn't lead to greatness.

I waited on pizzas in college. I guess I won't get "the Great" added to my name.

On a side note. About a year ago I ordered some food from one of my favorite joints. When you see the Google maps come up there is an "order pickup", "order delivery" button. I'm friends with the owner of this restaurant and asked him if that was associated with his website. He replied no it's a service that charges like 20%. I'm like what??? He said yea it's not cheap. I always order pickup and go get it. So now I go to the actual website and order from there so he doesn't get hit with the charges. I never knew. Just an FYI...

I've had nothing but bad experiences with those services. Never again. Rarely get carryout food, anyway.

On a side note. About a year ago I ordered some food from one of my favorite joints. When you see the Google maps come up there is an "order pickup", "order delivery" button. I'm friends with the owner of this restaurant and asked him if that was associated with his website. He replied no it's a service that charges like 20%. I'm like what??? He said yea it's not cheap. I always order pickup and go get it. So now I go to the actual website and order from there so he doesn't get hit with the charges. I never knew. Just an FYI...
My daughter orders from the right restaurant wrong location. Pretty cool. Foods great that way

Forget the added cost. Imagine the types of people who actually take these sorts of gigs. Now imagine them driving around vaping in their nasty ass Hyundais while your food rolls around in god knows what sort of filth.

And yes, I've worked in restaurants and I'm well aware of the sorts of dudes you'll find working the line in the kitchen. That can't be helped.

Reactions: DANC
Forget the added cost. Imagine the types of people who actually take these sorts of gigs. Now imagine them driving around vaping in their nasty ass Hyundais while your food rolls around in god knows what sort of filth.

And yes, I've worked in restaurants and I'm well aware of the sorts of dudes you'll find working the line in the kitchen. That can't be helped.

I am curious, have you ordered pizza? It seems incredible that people haven't. Heck, even our Pappa Murphy's now advertises delivery. I am not sure what the difference is between ordering pizza and something else.

As to the line cooks, we used to watch Chopped. It was amazing how many chefs appeared with the "I was heading toward prison when I discovered my passion for cooking" story.

I am curious, have you ordered pizza? It seems incredible that people haven't. Heck, even our Pappa Murphy's now advertises delivery. I am not sure what the difference is between ordering pizza and something else.

As to the line cooks, we used to watch Chopped. It was amazing how many chefs appeared with the "I was heading toward prison when I discovered my passion for cooking" story.

I like to pickup the pizza.... gotta leave time for a quick beer. If you don't have beer on tap, you aren't getting my pizza business.

Not for years. I think the difference probably was that the pizza delivery guys were just employees of the pizza shop. Modern uber-eats dudes are something different. They're just random dudes in a Kia. Maybe that's a minor distinction, but it's a distinction.

But no, I'd not order pizza delivery today either.

Not for years. I think the difference probably was that the pizza delivery guys were just employees of the pizza shop. Modern uber-eats dudes are something different. They're just random dudes in a Kia. Maybe that's a minor distinction, but it's a distinction.

See, I'm a random dude in a Kia...

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Yikes Marv. That car is a hot commodity. Our city is suing Kia for not foreseeing how many criminals we have that steal cars
Yep. For cars that can't handle their update they will send a free steering wheel lock. I had already bought one and use it if I go to Indy, I do not use it around Bloomington.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I am with you. I am also kind of cheap when it comes to that stuff. By the time you tack on the delivery charge and tip you can almost buy another pizza and have leftovers if you just get in the car and make a 5 minute drive yourself.

And you don’t see the line cooks. Ignorance is bliss. Your post is So so true. I went to a lion’s choice the other day and the worker who handed me my food was so gross I just took it from his hands to the garbage. The workers are so bad right now. Just brutal. But again. Not at chic filet. That place is remarkable

We use Door Dash probably 3 times a month. Never got anything cold. Only once was it significantly later than promised. If you are ordering something from 10 miles away, that's 20 miles round trip and a gallon of gas to go pick it up. Not much different than the delivery charge. The tip is a bit more, granted. Eating in I tip 20%, and for delivery I tip 20%. Picking up I most often do 10%.

I will pick up when the item prices are way higher through the Door Dash app than they are on the menu. But around here that doesn't happen very much.

The only other issue is that sometimes the Door Dash app only has a portion of the menu. It's particularly bad in leaving off vegetarian and vegan options. There's a Thai place I always do pick-up with, for that reason. I'm not vegetarian or vegan but family members are.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

Ordering pizza delivery is for stoners. Or college students. But I repeat myself.

And you don’t see the line cooks. Ignorance is bliss. Your post is So so true. I went to a lion’s choice the other day and the worker who handed me my food was so gross I just took it from his hands to the garbage. The workers are so bad right now. Just brutal. But again. Not at chic filet. That place is remarkable

I think your root problem is you are eating at some place called Lion's Choice

I like to pickup the pizza.... gotta leave time for a quick beer. If you don't have beer on tap, you aren't getting my pizza business.
You must be a long lost brother. I would suggest getting a sausage roll next time, they take 2X as long to make.... it should make it, by my calculations, a 2-3 beer long wait

Reactions: Indianaftw
You must be a long lost brother. I would suggest getting a sausage roll next time, they take 2X as long to make.... it should make it, by my calculations, a 2-3 beer long wait

If it's a week where I really need a break from home, I suggest a deep dish pie.... one of the places that take 45 mins to make. "On my way to get dinner, I'll order when I get there...."

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
Oh man I don’t eat fast food but that was the exception. When they came onto the scene it was better than steak. Little roast beef sandwiches salted to death. So freaking good. Now all run down with grubby zombies working there

Never heard of it. Is it a Stl thing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT