ADVERTISEMENT

I think I will pass on celibrating the reseraction.

Should you drive?
wink.r191677.gif

Almost never.

I ride my bicycle to stick it to the Saudi's and keep my weight down so I can draw my government pensions for a long time.
uzi.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/3 9:42 PM by Rockport Zebra

He knew what he was doing.

He also wanted the out come. That is the reason for the violence in his "Fathers House". We used to call it "fire for effect".

It's all the rage to scoff at Christianity, so you must

join in. Maybe that's why you're unemployable. Not an original thought in your head.

that's the media narrative

we know for a fact that Obama gives talking points daily to all of the media and they read them like robots right? You ever see that one where they had a picture of it. it was written like a 4th grader. Anyways, Everything done by this machine is done for political gain everything if you believe they give welfare to help people stop reading right now and go back to watching Rachel maddow. It is given to buy votes and create a permanent underclass. Or how about weed u think they want to legalize weed so people can relax and get high? You have to follow either the money trail or the political gain trail. Only two trails these tyrants take. So when you see people bashing Christianity ask yourself how do Christians vote? And there's your answer. Obama is an atheist by the way.

It's amusing

To see one of the dumbest posters on the board challenging the intellect of one of the smartest. Self awareness is among the many areas where you fall short.

define Christian

In 2012 Obama won 50% of Catholic votes, 44% of non-evangelical protestant votes. Unfortunately main stream churches have let evangelical get away with claiming they are the sole representatives of "Christian".

That's a very good point

To sharpen it a bit, there's no reason why wingnuts ought to be considered more authentically religious than people with a functioning cerebral cortex. "Devout" doesn't have to mean "stupid". There's much more diversity among the faithful than there is among the stupid.

Some of you guys are just so paranoid, it's way too easy to make of you. . .

So much paranoia and self pity. Even fellow Christians can't help but pile on.

This post was edited on 4/4 9:30 AM by SuperHoosierFan

Well an insult from you isn't much of an insult

since you're a one trick pony and that's your only schtick these days. Now it get's really scary when you decide to , what was it, 'openly taunt'. Yes, being openly taunted on an internet message board, that will teach em.

You should really tone down the anger and vitriol though. You'll make yourself sick again.

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck

I'm sorry that I didn't insult you more professionally. Please believe me that I'd happily insult you in a host of other ways. As someone who apparently has an open head wound, you inevitably put up stupid posts, so it's a target rich environment whenever you find your keyboard. I'll leave it to you, though, to turn tricks with a pony.

it us an issue for me

I am a Christian of a more liberal church. For example, we allow gay marriage and gay ministers. Friends to the right seem to say "Christians must stand against gay rights" and friends on the left suggest "all Christians are homophobes".

Now it is true churches like mine have been losing numbers. Of course right now even the evangelical mega churches are struggling. But for my churches I believe the problem is we are not engaging. We have let the evangelicals define what is a Christian. Of course I will be soon moving to a more moderate church because my wife misses her Methodist roots.

Which goes to the next point. Many non-evangelical churches are showing no leadership. Methodists still oppose gay marriage, but most do try to minister in an inclusive way to gays. That does not work. But the problem is that people who dominate church politics are 60 and 70. Oh, and church money too. But polls show people under 30, even self described Conservative Christians, are much more accepting. Old school Christianity like Methodists are seriously damaging their future.

I have tried to suggesting to friends the Methodists took a progressive stand as abolitionists. Well, until a major southern leader inherited a lot of slaves, reversed his stance and started a new southern Methodist church.

The moderate Christians have, for whatever reason, refused to stand up for their brand.

I Will

In my own way.

Interesting how Jesus could hang around helping the poor for years and nobody powerful "paid him no mind."
Toss a little money on the floor and he's crucified by the weekend.

And interesting how Judas - his accountant - could make it all come together.

His is risen, fellas.
Deal with it.
You gonna have to serve somebody.

Happy Easter.

Even Ray Charles Saw That

Re: I Will

I take it you watched Killing Jesus last night? I saw much of it and thought it was really good.

The Bible is a great big book

What it has to say about homosexuality could be printed on a single page. Those who decide to elevate that page above all else are bigots. This isn't God's fault. It's their fault. And they don't speak for God or even for Christendom. History will not be kind to them. They will be viewed in exactly the same way that those who opposed interracial marriage are now viewed.

The Bible is 66 books . . .

with a myriad of authors . . .

. . . and what it has to say about homosexuality could be printed on a single page.

Nah

The secularists have defined Christianity that way; not the mainstream Protestants or Roman Catholic. The secularists have tried to make a pejorative out of the word "Christian". The most recent example is suggesting Christians won't sell pizza to gay people.

Even worse

Most of that is listed with all the other Jewish laws that were thrown out. The parts that remain fit into what, 2 sentences. I know Paul mentions it in one sentence in a letter, is it mentioned anywhere else in the New Testiment?

Under siege by the "secularists"

Not exactly a profile in courage are you guys. You comprise the overwhelming majority, yet still you're persecuted. Do you want sme cheese with that whine?

I think it is mutual

I certainly have people on the right tell me what I believe is wrong. My own sister tells me every time I see her my baptism was wrong. Chistianity is far from monolithic.

Why must EVERYTHING being defined in terms if sexual orientation?

In the vast majority of cases nobody gives a damn about it. But, like race, it seems as though people want to make it important. As I've pointed out often, RFRA laws exist for reasons other than who has sex with whom, yet we scream and stomp our feet about it because certain "supporters" said something and the left had a massive freak out. Same for churches. I've been involved in more than a few parish disputes and none of them involved gays. If some members don't like the idea of a gay preacher they can leave. Who cares? In the 1970's I had a gay paralegal and nobody cared. Nowadays it seems like everyone would. I was on the local medical ethics board when the AIDS crisis hit. We spent and enormous amount of time talking about confidentiality protocols. Even with that smart people were imputing bigotry where it didn't exist.

Obviously there are homophobes. But for every homophobe there seem to be 10 homophobephobes

Nope

I never liked O'Reilly when he was a "shock" journalist at Inside Edition
Have only watched maybe an hour's worth of his Fox show in his 20 years.
I read his "Killing Lincoln" - it was quick read but not really the kind of history read I go for.

May catch a re-run since some folks liked it.
Then again, I know how it ends

Me too

I've had several discussions with the "born again" crowd. I pull out my copy of Martin Luther's catechism and whup them at their own game.

Which Explains Why All Christians In Indiana Are Painted As Bigots

um, wait - no it doesn't

The bigotry recently expressed against gay people in Indiana and the bigotry recently expressed in Indiana against Christians is not much different - in either scale or amount or type or content.

Makes a fella wonder if this wasn't one of those "mysterious way" moments.

Could it be God was instructing the Church in who all is to be included in the Church?
Are Indiana gay folks a modern "woman at the well"?
Are we checking out the logs and splinters?

I recently heard a sermon from Louisville's "megachurch" - where they interpret the Bible very literally, and are considered evangelical. The Pastor had asked everyone to pick one person to pray for for 1 week and report back. His son chose Osama bin Laden.

What a bigot, huh?

It is safe to say that even I - as backward and stupid as I am - can usually find more wisdom in a single page of the Bible than will ever collectively be expressed on this e-hole.

I am sure you are right

There has never been a case of gays being discriminated against or attacked. I don't get the problem either.

Yet it is perfectly valid to freak out at the Walmart cashier who has the audacity to say "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas". That is where our ire needs correctly directed.

It is true that it is safer to come out today than ever before. It is also true that fact angers some people greatly. There may be a time soon where this does not matter one iota. I do not think we are there. Strangely what just happened may have advanced this idea. The law may have had nothing to do with gays, the theory of treating gays differently just received a KO. The law may not have been about that, but the raison d'etat was over gays. You cannot refute that, nothing else explains why 18 years after the federal law stopped applying to atates, Indiana saw this burning need.

If that's the case . . .

will we be seeing less of you here?

Or will you be trying to evangelize the lot here . . .

Oy vey . . . .

Okay

I'll stipulate that both sides overplay their hands. Why do you suppose that happens? Take "Christmas". Believing that word is not "inclusive" or something is just ignorant. (Read Scrooge) . Yet we went through a time when the left made a fashion statement out of not uttering the word. So yeah, I made the stupidity call just as I did with IRFRA.

On the other hand. It seems to me that the evangelical assault on politics is about a decade in the past. But there always will be an irreducible residue of that POV. On thing is pretty clear; the Jesus motivation looks the same as the emotional melt down liberals had over IRFRA to me.

The World Needs Ditch Diggers Too

Folks smart enough to know there is no God are well past my poor powers of persuasion to add or detract from their certainties.

I buy a pagan a Bible now and then, but I can't make em drink.

C'mon....that's over the

line. I don't agree with goat on a lot of things but he's always respectful of other posters.

Not much different?

It's amazing how the Christian Right has successfully conflated criticism of bigotry with bigotry itself. There is a huge moral gap between the people who criticism gays for being gay and the people who criticize those people for being bigoted.

goat

Question

Do you equate a redneck who hates on a gay for general principles with a Christian who wants to avoid working a gay wedding on the basis of religious principle?

I consider one a bigot and the other not.

You seem unable to balance rights and seek to honor one and deny the other.

Why so dogmatic?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT