ADVERTISEMENT

I like Archie!

hoosier48

Junior
May 21, 2008
This is going to be a crazy season and here is why:

New coach with a totally different system (it will work, give it time)
New players
Lazy players and/or bad habits
Not the coaches players. You don't have to have 5 star players, but you need players to fit your system

I don't get bothered by games like last night or to excited over wins like N.D either. IT TAKES TIME!!!!

I like this board and I know people are ready to win now, but bad/delayed decisions made by the university have us where we are now.

Be patient and quit whining, we are on the right track!

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

New players
Not the coaches players. You don't have to have 5 star players, but you need players to fit your system

I don't get bothered by games like last night or to excited over wins like N.D either. IT TAKES TIME!!!!

I like this board and I know people are ready to win now, but bad/delayed decisions made by the university have us where we are now.

Losing to ipfw and isu at home shouldn’t happen

true, but the players are still confused under this system obviously.
F.W. on the other hand with less talent played like they knew there system. My point exactly...

true, but the players are still confused under this system obviously.
F.W. on the other hand with less talent played like they knew there system. My point exactly...
They didn’t look confused vs Iowa, Duke or ND. This team has issues other than new system

Reactions: birdforbogey
They didn’t look confused vs Iowa, Duke or ND. This team has issues other than new system
It's called inconsistence and unless you have overwhelming talent you will suffer. I agree with some issues. I am not used to a team that can't shoot he 3 and to make matters worse, can't defend it either. Those are not all on CAM though.

Losing to ipfw and isu at home shouldn’t happen

It should not...then again, this same group with 3 current professional players lost to IPFW last year.

No one is happy about losing but some of you guys need some ****ing perspective. I watched a Bob Knight coached team with Brian Evans and Alan Henderson get beat by 50 in Minnesota. And that was a handpicked Knight team 20+ years into his tenure. I think Miller is going to be good but some of you are being a bit ridiculous thinking that he is going to turn around last year's leftovers in a few months. Again, this was a .500 team last year with 3 current professional members replace by 3 unheralded Freshmen. There is a reason we are up and down.

It should not...then again, this same group with 3 current professional players lost to IPFW last year.

No one is happy about losing but some of you guys need some ****ing perspective. I watched a Bob Knight coached team with Brian Evans and Alan Henderson get beat by 50 in Minnesota. And that was a handpicked Knight team 20+ years into his tenure. I think Miller is going to be good but some of you are being a bit ridiculous thinking that he is going to turn around last year's leftovers in a few months. Again, this was a .500 team last year with 3 current professional members replace by 3 unheralded Freshmen. There is a reason we are up and down.
You are spot on with what CAM is working with. No scoring talent and even less talent than a 500 team last year. If he can get this squad to 500 by seasons end he will be a magician. Anyone getting down on CAM is pointing at the wrong person. Many things led to this team being so depleted and unbalanced. And he had nothing to do with any of it. This is a two year deal for him to get his guys in place.

Reactions: h20pls
You are spot on with what CAM is working with. No scoring talent and even less talent than a 500 team last year. If he can get this squad to 500 by seasons end he will be a magician. Anyone getting down on CAM is pointing at the wrong person. Many things led to this team being so depleted and unbalanced. And he had nothing to do with any of it. This is a two year deal for him to get his guys in place.
Thank you, perfectly said. Looking at some posts you really wonder how much some fans even understand about BB.

New players

I like Miller and it's not because he beat ND. And it's not just because his IU's coach now. I like him because for the first time since RMK left, he thinks they should win every freaking game. And gets PO'd when they don't. I like that he wants tough-nosed battlers. Davis played just 20 minutes last night. Good, he was playing like soft. He rewarding McRoberts for playing tough, good. Last night ticked me off. No excuse to come out flat just because you beat ND. The team you were playing embarrassed you last year. But, I can take comfort in the fact that I saw Miller was ticked off too.

Reactions: hoosier48

We don’t know whether Cam is going to be good or bad at this point . Any argument on either side is without any merit. Give him a couple of years and then we’ll know.

We don’t know whether Cam is going to be good or bad at this point . Any argument on either side is without any merit. Give him a couple of years and then we’ll know.
I know that he is going to be good. Watched him here in Dayton.

You can believe what you will. I know Archie Miller is an excellent young coach. Sure he gets a couple of years. Maybe more. And he will modify his game plan and the packline defense and the offense to match his players. But one thing he will not allow is shirkers. Students must play hard and concentrate on what they are doing. Otherwise he sits them.

He did the best in the A10 with Dayton. I can't imagine him not being among the best in the B1G. Or for that matter the best in the nation. Better than his brother.

Reactions: kkott

You can believe what you will. I know Archie Miller is an excellent young coach. Sure he gets a couple of years. Maybe more. And he will modify his game plan and the packline defense and the offense to match his players. But one thing he will not allow is shirkers. Students must play hard and concentrate on what they are doing. Otherwise he sits them.

He did the best in the A10 with Dayton. I can't imagine him not being among the best in the B1G. Or for that matter the best in the nation. Better than his brother.

Im wondering why he made no adjustments last night when they were sinking threes all over the court. You may very well be correct and I’m inclined to believe you but at this point he hasn’t been very good . These players were all highly recruited and they can’t even beat a satellite campus . He has to bear some responsibility . I think he’s a good coach but he’s not able to get the players to do what he wants them to do and if he can’t turn that around he’ll fail

Reactions: cryano
Im wondering why he made no adjustments last night when they were sinking threes all over the court. You may very well be correct and I’m inclined to believe you but at this point he hasn’t been very good . These players were all highly recruited and they can’t even beat a satellite campus . He has to bear some responsibility . I think he’s a good coach but he’s not able to get the players to do what he wants them to do and if he can’t turn that around he’ll fail

To me.... the majority of the players looked like they were in a total hangover from a drunken stooge from the night before. I'm not saying they were all drunk the night before, I am saying their play on the court was lethargic, slow, lazy, no energy at all. I know that Coach Miller will get this turned around in the future, but you have to have buy-in from the kids day in and day out... and that's just not there yet.
I agree with many others on here.... have to give him time.

To me.... the majority of the players looked like they were in a total hangover from a drunken stooge from the night before. I'm not saying they were all drunk the night before, I am saying their play on the court was lethargic, slow, lazy, no energy at all. I know that Coach Miller will get this turned around in the future, but you have to have buy-in from the kids day in and day out... and that's just not there yet.
I agree with many others on here.... have to give him time.
Yep...your right

Like I said - at times we care more than they do. It is a different game now. Knight lost by 50 to a big ten team on the road, he had long before that gotten lazy. We should never lose to Fort Wayne. But we did. Let's what happens next. Can we finish .500 and make the NIT? I hope so. But not if they are going to lose to a Fort Wayne (like) team in the 1st round.

Although it's pretty clear this group doesn't get up for the IPFW's and Indiana State's the way they should, I believe there's more credence to the "adjusting to the system" argument than one might believe.

Take a look at these numbers - it's the average number of 3-ptrs attempted per game of the 5 teams in question, how they shot against IU and their respective 3-pt average.

Team / Avg 3-pt Attps / Against IU / Season 3-pt %
Indiana St. / 24.3 / 17-26 / 38.8%
Fort Wayne / 29.1 / 17-30 / 36.6%
Duke / 21.4 / 3-17 / 35%
Iowa / 22.2 / 10-24 / 37.5
Notre Dame / 20.1 / 8-24 / 41.2

Isn't it coincidental that the two teams that have torched IU with the 3 both use the shot as a primary weapon - especially Ft. Wayne? I bet if I look at upcoming opponents and see their rate of 3-pt attempts and 3-pt avg I could predict teams we'll struggle with defending.

As I said in another thread, it isn't impossible to defend the 3 using a pack-line. But you need guys who are all on the same page using it. Teams like Ft. Wayne and ISU hurt us because we're still learning how to effectively play the pack-line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT