ADVERTISEMENT

I googled Scott Dolson to see what kind of athletic experience he had

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
My thought was that if he was choosing Indiana's football coach basketball coach etc he'd have a well-rounded background at least in high school. I couldn't find any evidence that he played any organized sports. Not even flag football! But then again flag football probably would not have been mentioned in Wikipedia.

He started out mopping the floors and doing laundry for the basketball team. And eventually he worked his way up to head student manager. At some point he worked for Tim Knight. And then he was back in Assembly Hall working for Fred Glass.

When Glass retired as athletic director he recommended to Dolson that he apply for the AD job, which he did. So apparently somebody with virtually no athletic experience recommended somebody else with no athletic experience to be athletic director. One of the first things he did was give out big contract extensions to the football staff.

I can't imagine that kind of authority could rest solely with an athletic director or even with a committee from the athletic department.
And yet if that is the case I would not be surprised.

Quite often the highest paid state employees work in athletic departments. Clearly things are way out of control. Just look at the Paul Chriyst situation in Wisconsin

My thought was that if he was choosing Indiana's football coach basketball coach etc he'd have a well-rounded background at least in high school. I couldn't find any evidence that he played any organized sports. Not even flag football! But then again flag football probably would not have been mentioned in Wikipedia.

He started out mopping the floors and doing laundry for the basketball team. And eventually he worked his way up to head student manager. At some point he worked for Tim Knight. And then he was back in Assembly Hall working for Fred Glass.

When Glass retired as athletic director he recommended to Dolson that he apply for the AD job, which he did. So apparently somebody with virtually no athletic experience recommended somebody else with no athletic experience to be athletic director. One of the first things he did was give out big contract extensions to the football staff.

I can't imagine that kind of authority could rest solely with an athletic director or even with a committee from the athletic department.

Quite often the highest paid state employees work in athletic departments. Clearly things are way out of control. Just look at the Paul Chriyst situation in Wisconsin
This is why Dolson is Fred’s “Mini Me.”
Two guys that undoubtedly love the university but no background in athletic administration. Virtually every university replaces ADs with experienced ADs.
Pat Kraft would have talked to us. Now he’s at Penn State.

Yeah but Dolson looked great standing on the lawn of the fraternity on a football Saturday holding a beer in one hand and a football in the other. That's an Athletic Experience We can all relate to.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Scott was head of the Varsity Club for years. He networked and fund raised for the athletic department. That networking is why he got the job.

I wasn't necessarily opposed to him getting the AD job, but I would have much rather had Pat Kraft, who is now AD for Penn St. Kraft would have been smart enough to know the football program is the most important in the athletic department.

Hmmm

Scott never scored a point for IU, yet when he graduated he knew and experienced more about how a program operates than any player.

Scott has worked in intercollegiate athletics management since he was 19 and his first boss was Bob Knight.

Scott was neck deep in some of the most dynamic transformations IU athletics has ever seen.

Scott demonstrated serious guts when he moved on AM amid Covid uncertanties and budgets, a chair that wasn't even warm and a new POTU coming in.

He won't be perfect, and you don't have to like him

I have never understood the notion that ADs need to have a player's background.

In my mind the only worst thing than hiring an AD without an athletic background and no previous AD experience is hiring an AD without an athletic background and no previous AD experience who is an attorney. What IU needs is another Bill Orwig, our AD who had the guts to hire a relatively unknown Bob Knight. Coach Knight loved and respected Bill Orwig.

Bill Orwig drew from a rich background as an outstanding athlete, coach and director to achieve a position as one of the most widely respected and able athletic administrators in the country. As an undergraduate at Michigan, he lettered as a football end and earned All-Big Ten recognition as a basketball guard. After a decorated high school and college coach career, Orwig joined the staff of Bennie Oosterbaan’s football squad in 1948. In 1954, he was appointed Athletic Director at the University of Nebraska and in 1961 went to Indiana University as the Director of Athletics and remained there until his official retirement in 1976. For his outstanding and exemplary service to intercollegiate athletics, he was inducted into the National Athletic Directors Hall of Fame.

It’s like about 90% of the ‘searches’ IU conducts.
Just give it to someone already here,searches take time and money.
We can save that money for the assistant to the assistant to the assistant basketball coach.

In my mind the only worst thing than hiring an AD without an athletic background and no previous AD experience is hiring an AD without an athletic background and no previous AD experience who is an attorney. What IU needs is another Bill Orwig, our AD who had the guts to hire a relatively unknown Bob Knight. Coach Knight loved and respected Bill Orwig.

Bill Orwig drew from a rich background as an outstanding athlete, coach and director to achieve a position as one of the most widely respected and able athletic administrators in the country. As an undergraduate at Michigan, he lettered as a football end and earned All-Big Ten recognition as a basketball guard. After a decorated high school and college coach career, Orwig joined the staff of Bennie Oosterbaan’s football squad in 1948. In 1954, he was appointed Athletic Director at the University of Nebraska and in 1961 went to Indiana University as the Director of Athletics and remained there until his official retirement in 1976. For his outstanding and exemplary service to intercollegiate athletics, he was inducted into the National Athletic Directors Hall of Fame.
Bill Orwig and John Ryan were a great combination of AD and President. Only Ralph Floyd would come close to Bill’s skill and dexterity as an AD for us. No one else has shown to be even remotely as good as those two.

Dolson is the best AD we have had in terms of bball in my lifetime, it is not close.
AD has to be a lot more than a basketball booster. IU is now stuck with Allen for several more years despite his clear lack of coaching prowess. Jury is still a bit out on IU basketball. Yes, this season ought, ought to be a good year, but with TJD, XJ and Race moving on and perhaps a couple of other players if they have promising or good seasons like JHS or TB, next season will be a better indicator of where the program is going.

Reactions: ulrey and IUgradman
I think the worst AD IU has experienced in my lifetime is Michael McNeely, a blond haired surfer boy from California. He did a short two year stint as AD of a small CA college until their football program was dropped. He then became VP of Operations for the San Diego Chargers for two years before being hired by Myles (cough, cough) Brand in 2001. The following year he "resigned" after refusing to cover up previous financial deficits in the athletic department as uncovered by a 2002 financial audit report. Myles was on a roll...firing our HOF basketball coach and then hiring cheat 'in McNeely who inherited the AD job from Donniger with a department surplus of over one million dollars. He reported 16 mos. later a deficit of one million dollars when it was actually $3.2 mil. One of his infamous efforts I remember him doing is ridiculously contracting a boatload of money in hiring a CA firm to rework the cream and crimson color scheme/logo.

Uhm.... I think Jack Swarbrick at ND blows up your theory that it's a bad move to hire a person with no previous AD experience and being an attorney... But he did play HS football at Bloomington South. Jack is one of the two or three most influential and powerful AD's in the country and being the AD at ND has to be one of the toughest jobs in the country.

The sad thing is he was up for the IU job when they went with Greenspan instead.... typical IU. The saddest part is he was ready and would have accepted. A decision that makes me think of the Chargers having the choice between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning....

I agree about Bill Orwig... IU athletics had its most success when he was there... Rose Bowl, Knight, Doc Coucilman's rise to swimming dominance, a founder and first President of the National Athletic Directors of America.... etc..... Orwig was a visionary and held in the highest regard by everyone in college sports.

The thing that kills me about this fan base is how quick they are to label someone a success or failure. We have had a long history of failure in football. We have a coach come in and take the team to 2 bowl games in Florida and arguably the 2 of the better seasons in program history. Then he loses his coordinators and they have a miserable season. They win 3 games against pretty decent teams in last minute and not necessarily pretty fashion. They go on the road to play in front 90,000 fans. They have a new d coordinator so you don't really know what to expect you have no feel for how he is going to call the game. They play with great enthusiasm we do not and yet we are tied half. We lose the second half. You blame everyone in sight. Including the relatively new AD. His fires the basketball coach which everyone agrees needed to be done. He hires a beloved alumnus with decent credentials on the NBA level. He sees that the guy has limited knowledge on college game. So he hires a guy that had success in Indiana at the college level and also success in the BIG to help mentor him in the college game. To me it looks brilliant. The team is picked to perhaps win the BIG this year. If he does not I am sure people will want his head. Next you still are after the AD because he did not play sports yet has always found a way to be near it. You have to give him some credit for that. Just being a great player does not insure that your going be a great coach or administrator. How about you give this guy a chance to get his feet wet and see what happens. You don't know what is happening behind the scenes. You have a new president who may want to check things out for herself. She does seem to be really interested in athletics as well as academics.

Orwig was great for his time. Ralph Floyd was pretty good...for his time. No question.

The role has changed tremendously. Today's AD is President of a large division of a very large and complex corporation. It is not remotely the same job, with completely different qualifications and temperment models.

Title Nine
Facilities arms race
Fundraising complexities
State and federal regulation
NIL
Media contracts
Marketing
Fan engagement in a digital world
Twatter/facebook/TicTok
Athlete as celebrity: Zeke didn't have a televised five-hat clown show announcing his college choice.
Security concerns
Alcohol sales
Litigious society
Fill in more here

We are long past requiring a good former player/coach and "Football man".

You just now notice this..
Life is full of who you know...

what a pathetically myopic view

Hmmm

Scott never scored a point for IU, yet when he graduated he knew and experienced more about how a program operates than any player.

Scott has worked in intercollegiate athletics management since he was 19 and his first boss was Bob Knight.

Scott was neck deep in some of the most dynamic transformations IU athletics has ever seen.

Scott demonstrated serious guts when he moved on AM amid Covid uncertanties and budgets, a chair that wasn't even warm and a new POTU coming in.

He won't be perfect, and you don't have to like him

I have never understood the notion that ADs need to have a player's background.
They at least need to have a football “lean” because that’s how every P5 school operates. The fact that people here think basketball can successfully subsidize an entire athletic department in this day and age is just ignoring basic Econ 101.
You could absolutely hate the sport of football but should be savvy enough to know that in order to play in this sandbox, you have to give it its attention, and a lot of it.

They at least need to have a football “lean” because that’s how every P5 school operates. The fact that people here think basketball can successfully subsidize an entire athletic department in this day and age is just ignoring basic Econ 101.
You could absolutely hate the sport of football but should be savvy enough to know that in order to play in this sandbox, you have to give it its attention, and a lot of it.
Fortunately, I think Scott has heard this rumor.

I think Dolson’s history was well known. He seemed perfect for an Asst AD role as a fund raiser. I wanted a former player that knows that aspect. Money isn’t the problem with IU sports.

You seem to maybe know the rest of the story. If true can u enlighten us. I want iu to b the cash cow which has not been addressed for decades
Nope. As I posted earlier, no one here does. There is at least one that claims to, but that is BS.

You seem to maybe know the rest of the story. If true can u enlighten us. I want iu to b the cash cow which has not been addressed for decades
There is no story. Hiller’s job wasn’t in jeopardy. Only Sheridan’s was, and Coach Allen addressed that situation immediately after the season. No other offensive assistants were on the block.

I think the worst AD IU has experienced in my lifetime is Michael McNeely, a blond haired surfer boy from California. He did a short two year stint as AD of a small CA college until their football program was dropped. He then became VP of Operations for the San Diego Chargers for two years before being hired by Myles (cough, cough) Brand in 2001. The following year he "resigned" after refusing to cover up previous financial deficits in the athletic department as uncovered by a 2002 financial audit report. Myles was on a roll...firing our HOF basketball coach and then hiring cheat 'in McNeely who inherited the AD job from Donniger with a department surplus of over one million dollars. He reported 16 mos. later a deficit of one million dollars when it was actually $3.2 mil. One of his infamous efforts I remember him doing is ridiculously contracting a boatload of money in hiring a CA firm to rework the cream and crimson color scheme/logo.
Yes just awful

Why in the world would I care if the AD played football in high school??? That is literally one of the most ridiculous statements I've read here in a long time.
Yeah, I have never tracked with the "played football/basketball" narrative. Understatnding the mechanics of intercollegiate athletics, fundraising, staff recruiting, facilities development and maintenance, title nine and other regulations, competitive nature. security and surrounding yourself with people smarter and better than yourself is what makes good leaders.

IIRC MM was the guy that brought us Crimson as the consistent color. May be his only positive move?

I can't imagine why playing a sport, particularly in high school, would matter at all. There are plenty of examples of standout athletes become coaches become AD's that are abysmal failures as AD. They're completely different skill sets. Off the top of my head, South Carolina's AD, Ray Tanner' won a national championship as baseball coach at SC, and he's been a spectacular failure as AD. Terrible hires, terrible contracts, terrible leadership.

I can't imagine why playing a sport, particularly in high school, would matter at all. There are plenty of examples of standout athletes become coaches become AD's that are abysmal failures as AD. They're completely different skill sets. Off the top of my head, South Carolina's AD, Ray Tanner' won a national championship as baseball coach at SC, and he's been a spectacular failure as AD. Terrible hires, terrible contracts, terrible leadership.
I think the requisite skills / experiences need to include hiring coaches and overseeing sports programs. That’s the core of the department, and we’ve hired several people as AD’s who have never, ever done that. The results are indicative of those fundamental shortcomings, and they’re also clear guides as to how we can succeed if the right leaders are in place.

Reactions: IndyGlen
It doesn't matter. What matters is what I have described above.

Fred brought a ton to the table and delivered mightliy in those areas but he didn't have the intercollegiate operational and managerial experience that Scott brings so predictably Fred was weaker in those aspects. Scott is a completely different cat.

It doesn't matter. What matters is what I have described above.

Fred brought a ton to the table and delivered mightliy in those areas but he didn't have the intercollegiate operational and managerial experience that Scott brings so predictably Fred was weaker in those aspects. Scott is a completely different cat.
Does anyone here besides me find it a little perplexing that some here regard Orwig and Floyd as demigods and those who came after them incompetent morons ? Didn't both Orwig and Floyd fail to hire great football coaches and elevate the program as well ? Why the different standard for those two ? It was under their watch that we failed to establish a winning football program and fell far behind the rest of the conference schools in all things related to football.

I don’t get the hatred for Dolson. Do people not remember the guy he replaced? Glass is the real genesis of all of our problems the last 15 or so years. Worst thing to happen to IU since probably its founding. Certainly the worst thing in the last 60 years. Dolson is doing his best to clean up the pieces and while football is a complete clown show at least basketball appears in great shape.

Does anyone here besides me find it a little perplexing that some here regard Orwig and Floyd as demigods and those who came after them incompetent morons ? Didn't both Orwig and Floyd fail to hire great football coaches and elevate the program as well ? Why the different standard for those two ? It was under their watch that we failed to establish a winning football program and fell far behind the rest of the conference schools in all things related to football.
John Pont was an outstanding football hire for Bill Orwig, and Lee Corso had experienced considerable success at Louisville when Orwig hired him to come to Bloomington. Not sure that either of those hires would’ve been considered failures by any reasonable assessment, at least when they were made. Likewise, Ralph Floyd plucked Sam Wyche from the Niners, a coup for a program like ours. When SW took the Bengals job a year later, RF brought in Bill Mallory, who led us to some of our most successful seasons ever on the gridiron. I don’t think anyone who followed the program during those periods would consider any of those hires “failures”, nor do I think the universal respect accorded both Rwig and Floyd by IU alums and fans is accidental or undeserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndyGlen and ulrey
John Pont was an outstanding football hire for Bill Orwig, and Lee Corso had experienced considerable success at Louisville when Orwig hired him to come to Bloomington. Not sure that either of those hires would’ve been considered failures by any reasonable assessment, at least when they were made. Likewise, Ralph Floyd plucked Sam Wyche from the Niners, a coup for a program like ours. When SW took the Bengals job a year later, RF brought in Bill Mallory, who led us to some of our most successful seasons ever on the gridiron. I don’t think anyone who followed the program during those periods would consider any of those hires “failures”, nor do I think the universal respect accorded both Rwig and Floyd by IU alums and fans is accidental or undeserved.
I agree. My point is that all that notwithstanding, it didn't translate to permanent elevation of IU football vs the rest of the Big Ten. There is no magic formula. Hiring coaches is a crapshoot. Today's "great hire" can be tomorrow's flop. Yet many on here expect recent ADs to be clairvoyant and find "the guy" to bring instant and permanent improvement. I was merely pointing out the double standard.

I agree. My point is that all that notwithstanding, it didn't translate to permanent elevation of IU football vs the rest of the Big Ten. There is no magic formula. Hiring coaches is a crapshoot. Today's "great hire" can be tomorrow's flop. Yet many on here expect recent ADs to be clairvoyant and find "the guy" to bring instant and permanent improvement. I was merely pointing out the double standard.
I’m not sure it’s a double standard, though. I think the somewhat nuanced distinction is that guys who’ve played, coached, and administered programs (or a combination of some or all of those “attributes”) are much more likely to make the “right” hires, as opposed to those ADs who’ve never performed any of those functions. Dolson at least had insight into the sausage making functions of a major college basketball program, and it very likely led him to see the “right” characteristics in Mike Woodson. On the other hand, Woody specifically withdrew from the previous search and was sharply critical of the “process”, a direct criticism of the individual who sat atop the decision making hierarchy and failure that fell directly at the feet of someone who had none of experience we’ve discussed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT