ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't realize just how lousy a deal Social Security is . . .

No, the first thing to do would be to raise or remove the cap on earnings that are subject to the payroll tax. It's beyond comprehension that a flat rate funding scheme is made regressive by exempting higher earners from paying the same proportion of their earnings into the system.
Is there ever an answer from the left other than TAX THE RICH!!

Exactly. The actual working class would be put in a world of hurt. My UPS driver at my last job was a young 50 something guy who had worked his ass off for 20+ years and was counting the days before he could start drawing his pension; his body was giving out on him.
Well your UPS driver most likely qualifies for a pension. If he has worked at UPS for 20+ years, with the generous company match that UPS has had, he probably has something close to 7 figures in that. No sympathy there for me, and for those that actually saved during their working years, retirement in the US should not be an issue. For those that didn't, why do you want me to pay for their mistakes?

Reactions: Lucy01
Well your UPS driver most likely qualifies for a pension. If he has worked at UPS for 20+ years, with the generous company match that UPS has had, he probably has something close to 7 figures in that.
He probably does. It was just an example of what a physical job does to someone over time. Lots and lots of folks out there who have put in that kind of work and haven't gotten that kind of benefit. (UPS is a Teamsters shop, insert evil unions and all that.)

While I was active and did do some moving and lifting and what have you, I hadn't done actually heavy manual labor in ages. The last few years doing even that (while mostly sitting in an office chair) was starting to wear on me. If I'd been forced to go on to 70 I don't know if I could have managed. Even today, the climbing in and out of a car and lugging shit in and out of dozens of businesses over the course of half a day takes a toll. Maybe I'm just a lazy taker, but I'd like to have a few years of retirement under my belt before my body totally breaks down.

Reactions: DANC
He probably does. It was just an example of what a physical job does to someone over time. Lots and lots of folks out there who have put in that kind of work and haven't gotten that kind of benefit. (UPS is a Teamsters shop, insert evil unions and all that.)

While I was active and did do some moving and lifting and what have you, I hadn't done actually heavy manual labor in ages. The last few years doing even that (while mostly sitting in an office chair) was starting to wear on me. If I'd been forced to go on to 70 I don't know if I could have managed. Even today, the climbing in and out of a car and lugging shit in and out of dozens of businesses over the course of half a day takes a toll. Maybe I'm just a lazy taker, but I'd like to have a few years of retirement under my belt before my body totally breaks down.
Lugging that shit is adding years to your life

Lugging that shit is adding years to your life
Right. And lugging shit around in your mind for decades so that it consumes most waking moments and many sleeping ones will take years from your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Is there ever an answer from the left other than TAX THE RICH!!
I would normally agree with you on that, but I don't see the logic in putting a cap on SS taxes. Those that make over the maximum can well afford it and it would help keep the system from going broke.

SS is very imperfect and should be replaced, but it's what we have now and I don't really want to see benefits cut when the system runs out of money in a few years.

A lot of the people I work with dont contribute hardly anything to their TSP. It’s insane. We’re talking people making easily at least 80k+ a year with a very low cost of living. Most everyone in my generation won’t be able to retire. It’s crazy how ignorant/stupid they are as a whole with this whole retirement thing.
That’s throwing money away because there is matching contributions up to 5% I think.

No, the first thing to do would be to raise or remove the cap on earnings that are subject to the payroll tax. It's beyond comprehension that a flat rate funding scheme is made regressive by exempting higher earners from paying the same proportion of their earnings into the system.
Makes it a far worse deal.

Makes it a far worse deal.
Let's face it - SS isn't for the well off. It provides a base for the vast majority of Americans who have little or no savings.

If we can't take care of the elderly, that makes us a pretty uncaring society. We who consider ourselves Conservatives always say we don't mind helping out those who truly need it (at least that's my philosophy). I think SS is one of those situations.

Do people make stupid financial systems? Yes, they certainly do. But if you're working, you pay into SS. I think that should be something that is solvent and right now, it's going broke quickly. Raising the cap is a reasonable option on people who don't really depend on SS anyway.

I would normally agree with you on that, but I don't see the logic in putting a cap on SS taxes. Those that make over the maximum can well afford it and it would help keep the system from going broke.

SS is very imperfect and should be replaced, but it's what we have now and I don't really want to see benefits cut when the system runs out of money in a few years.
Sure, they can "afford" it. That doesn't make it right.

Reactions: Lucy01
Right. And lugging shit around in your mind for decades so that it consumes most waking moments and many sleeping ones will take years from your life.
Not disagreeing, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion at hand.

UPSer here. Not a brown short but a big shot corporate guy.

We are moving away from pensions and unions hard and fast. The benefits and retirement plan still kick ass though.

UPSer here. Not a brown short but a big shot corporate guy.

We are moving away from pensions and unions hard and fast. The benefits and retirement plan still kick ass though.
My guy said some of the votes the younger rank and file have made have been beneficial in the short term but will end up biting them in the ass.

For you and those like you, sure. But it's not going away and needs to be shored up. That would be the simplest and most equitable way.
That’s only a way to shore up a very poorly designed system. I wouldn’t call it fair or equitable either.

That’s only a way to shore up a very poorly designed system. I wouldn’t call it fair or equitable either.
You keep bringing up "fair". How many times have I heard that sometimes life isn't "fair" and you have to deal with it? Or is fair only fair for the deserving?

You advocating for a flat tax?
We're talking about Social Security.

I'd be good with a flat income tax with zero deductions after the standard deduction. Zero. A consumption tax that exempted food, medicine, and utilities should be part of the whole package.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I'd be good with a flat income tax with zero deductions after the standard deduction. Zero. A consumption tax that exempted food, medicine, and utilities should be part of the whole package.
I would jump for joy for a flat income tax, deductions or not. Unfortunately, the near 50% of American that pay virtually $0 in Federal Income tax will never let that happen. I am quite surprised that you would be in favor of that?

I would jump for joy for a flat income tax, deductions or not. Unfortunately, the near 50% of American that pay virtually $0 in Federal Income tax will never let that happen. I am quite surprised that you would be in favor of that?
You shouldn't be. I've always been in favor of everyone, everyone having some skin in the game. A flat tax after a reasonable standard deduction would be progressive, and without any other deductions would be equitable. No other deductions would eliminate the more influential from being able to carve out favorable exceptions that keep them from paying what others do. Of course it's a pipe dream, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

You shouldn't be. I've always been in favor of everyone, everyone having some skin in the game. A flat tax after a reasonable standard deduction would be progressive, and without any other deductions would be equitable. No other deductions would eliminate the more influential from being able to carve out favorable exceptions that keep them from paying what others do. Of course it's a pipe dream, but it's an interesting thought experiment.
How would you handle charitable contributions, or other charitable instruments I.e. CRATS and CRUTS. Do you view them as an exception, or do away with them as well?

How would you handle charitable contributions, or other charitable instruments I.e. CRATS and CRUTS. Do you view them as an exception, or do away with them as well?
I said ZERO deductions. That means ZERO. Everyone is on the exact same playing field. I'm probably naive, but I believe charitable people would continue to be charitable.

I said ZERO deductions. That means ZERO. Everyone is on the exact same playing field. I'm probably naive, but I believe charitable people would continue to be charitable.
Most would continue - I don't give to charity because of the tax deduction (I can't itemize anyway).

But I'm not donating $40 million to get my name on Assembly Hall.

Reactions: UncleMark
Sure, they can "afford" it. That doesn't make it right.
Right or wrong is a philosophical argument, and an important one. Whether or not SS remains solvent at current funding is not a philosophical argument. All options should be considered.

As as aside, those who earn above the cap are obviously doing reasonably well at least. To DANC's point, the SS Tax is flat. Raising or lifting the cap is only continuing to tax those people at the same rate as those under the cap. Sure, they may not realize the benefit of the increased contribution but somebody they know probably will, or their children. Gas taxes are flat taxes as well. Just b/c I drive more miles doesn't mean my tax burden is suddenly capped.

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
I used to wonder if a different age for blue collar and white collar would work. But someone would just leave their white collar job to a blue collar job for 6 months to retire 5 years earlier.

But some formula where some professions accumulate points faster would make sense. We really should not encourage 70 year old roofers.
Stress is as much or more a debiliitator and killer as manual labor.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
As as aside, those who earn above the cap are obviously doing reasonably well at least. To DANC's point, the SS Tax is flat. Raising or lifting the cap is only continuing to tax those people at the same rate as those under the cap. Sure, they may not realize the benefit of the increased contribution but somebody they know probably will, or their children.
Lifting the cap is the simplest, easiest, and most equitable way to address the SS funding shortfall. That it hasn't been done already is hard to fathom.

Last edited:
Reactions: larsIU

I am in the same boat you are. i'm 69, and had an office -professional service job that didn't require huge physical work, From the ages of 57-62, I helped Coach our CYO Parish Football Team. I was able to be out in the heat on those fields for 3 Hours a day 6 days a week. We closed our Office in 2016 after our primary Owner died, and I have been working from home with some long term clients since then.
It didn't happen overnight, but my Body has deteriorated over the past several Years. No doubt a result of the excessive athletic abuse i subjected myself to in my younger days - 4 sports all the way through High School with no off season and recovery time, 2 years of multiple sports in College, and then 5 years of intramurals, pickup games, etc. for 5 years, and 7 years of amateur soccer after i got out. Combine that with some tough Summer jobs in factories, and a semester of unloading the large UPS package trucks by hand at 5:15 a.m. and it's starting to show. My knees are junk, getting in and out of a Car multiple times really puts a strain on me.

I started drawing my Social Security at age 66. I would have preferred to wait another year to collect the maximum benefit, but it wasn't possible. I tell people jokingly that when I turned age 55, my whole attitude toward Bodily Parts and functions changed. At that point it became 'If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work."

Reactions: UncleMark
That’s throwing money away because there is matching contributions up to 5% I think.

Yeah the place I worked at matched up to 6% yet I knew several that didn't contribute. They would say that they couldn't afford it.. What they were really saying is that they couldn't afford all their toys AND contribute to the savings plan.

If we can't take care of the elderly, that makes us a pretty uncaring society. We who consider ourselves Conservatives always say we don't mind helping out those who truly need it (at least that's my philosophy). I think SS is one of those situations.
I agree with most of that but a person also has to take a personals responsibility for their future.

Then let's have everyone pay the same rate on their wages. All of it.
That would be a true statement IF what you received was based strictly on what you paid it but it isn't. A person making a million dollars would pay in 10 times as much as a person making $100,000 but the person that made a million dollars will not get a lot more on the SS check.

until I did some quick calculations this morning. I'm 59 and I'm thinking about retiring (again) at 62, give or take. So I logged into my social security account and saw that if I elected to get payments at 62 I'd bet almost $2100 a month and if I delayed to 70 I'd get almost $3100 a month. I and my employers have contributed more than $310,000 so far. If I stuffed that money in a closet every year and didn't earn a penny of interest I could take out $2100 a month for 12 years and $3100 a month for 8 years. If that was the case, SS looks OK. However, using an investment calculator and a conservative interest rate of 6% (well less than an investment in the stock market would average over 40 years) and under estimating my average contribution per year, my account would be worth more than $7 million. Using a ridiculously conservative rate of 3%, it would be worth $3.5 million. If I withdrew $2100 per month I'd be able to do that for 138 to 273 years (3% return and 6% return amounts) and $3100 a month for 94 to 185 years. Of course if I had either amount of that I'd probably take out much more. I could take out more than I actually currently make each month if I wanted to and it would still last many more years than I have left on earth. I could throw in a couple of long international vacations each year too without sweating it. I could play Pebble Beach a few times every year to boot. Obviously, I make and contribute more than most Americans (currently, but most of my life my income was below to just above average), but even halving the calculations the account would be worth far more than what the average American will receive in benefits for the remaining 15 to 20 years of his/her life. Doing the calculations with the average American's income also shows Social Security is a lousy deal as well.

I've said it many times, and I'm more convinced than ever, that Social Security is a good idea, but it was set up in a ridiculously inefficient way making it a lousy deal for the majority of Americans. Thrift Savings Plans (TSP) for all Americans would be far more efficient and would prove lucrative to probably 80 to 90 percent of Americans. It would also be sustainable and not threaten insolvency for our federal government. The remaining 10% could be provided minimum Social Security safety net benefit.

My TSP is worth nearly $400K to date and I couldn't even have one until at least half my military career was over because military weren't eligible for them until then. If I had been able to contribute since I joined the military in 1985 it would probably be worth a couple mil. If I could have contributed from my first paycheck until now - it would be worth millions (see first paragraph). Once again, Social Security is a lousy deal for the vast majority of us.
Why do you think that congress passed SS but exempted themselves from the program? They knew that it wasn't a very good program. I think sometimes in the early 80s they were finally included.

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
Why do you think that congress passed SS but exempted themselves from the program? They knew that it wasn't a very good program. I think sometimes in the early 80s they were finally included.
Many with credible retirement programs were originally exempted. My dad worked for Penn Central and was exempted. 9f course Penn Central stole from the retirement funds and then went bankrupt leaving workers with nothing. Congress changed the law allowing railroad workers to collect Social Security even though they never paid into it.

That will never happen, but probably not for the reasons you imagine. The tax code is the single largest weapon in any politician's arsenal. The power to screw this group and reward that group is what they use to buy votes. Listen to the rhetoric of any speech. It's all about how YOU are getting hosed by THAT guy, and I'll fix it by taxing the shit out of THAT guy and giving it to YOU.

An actual fair and straightforward flat tax with no manipulations, deductions, gimmicks, etc, removes the ability to punish, reward, and manipulate. It reduces taxation to, I dunno, simple revenue raising. No politician would ever allow that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT