ADVERTISEMENT

I can see why MSU is not ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Hondo

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2015
They look bad right now against Purdue at home. They’ve scored just 11 points in the first 13+ minutes.

Also, I tend to agree about Purdue being pretty much a one man team. Edey has 14 and 7 and Purdue has 22.

Reactions: mohoosier
They look bad right now against Purdue at home. They’ve scored just 11 points in the first 13+ minutes.

Also, I tend to agree about Purdue being pretty much a one man team. Edey has 14 and 7 and Purdue has 22.
If you're going to game plan going one on one with Edey with no help you HAVE to pressure their guards much better than MSU is doing. Absolutely have to. Edey getting the ball in scoring position without any resistance every time down.

By the way, refs just missed the most blatant hook and hold on Edey that you'll ever see. The rule created for Purdue big man just executed the hook and hold perfectly, refs didn't even review it.

MSU isn't great.

If you're going to game plan going one on one with Edey with no help you HAVE to pressure their guards much better than MSU is doing. Absolutely have to. Edey getting the ball in scoring position without any resistance every time down.

By the way, refs just missed the most blatant hook and hold on Edey that you'll ever see. The rule created for Purdue big man just executed the hook and hold perfectly, refs didn't even review it.
Edey should foul out pretty much every game, but the refs let him do whatever he wants. There are at least 2 over the backs that weren't called, and the hook and hold was ridiculous.

Izzo's plan to not double Edey or zone has been mixed results. Nobody else on PU has got going. He started to double a little more towards the end of the half.

Purdue guards looking pedestrian. But I know, they will play lights out against us.

Reactions: ulrey

Big Ten officiating is terrible. This game was as well be a boxing match.

Edey should foul out pretty much every game, but the refs let him do whatever he wants. There are at least 2 over the backs that weren't called, and the hook and hold was ridiculous.

Izzo's plan to not double Edey or zone has been mixed results. Nobody else on PU has got going. He started to double a little more towards the end of the half.
I thought the exact same thing...1) Edey was over the back...foul 2) Edey holds the MSU players arm and then throws him to the ground...foul on Edey

I thought the exact same thing...1) Edey was over the back...foul 2) Edey holds the MSU players arm and then throws him to the ground...foul on Edey
The difficulty for the refs is how do you call over the back when Edey never leaves his feet? It shouldn’t matter, but refs are used to calling it when a guy is off his feet and looks somewhat out of control.

Reactions: boilersrdue
The question is who guards Edey? I think Trayce would have 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes.
Double off the worst shooter or zone. Make somebody else beat you.

Would have been nice to have Durr for the PUke games. He held his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
didn't watch but the difference in the box score appeared to be FTs. PU was 16-18 and I think MSU was 7-10. I know Izzo couldn't have been happy with that. If they did double off Morton, looks smart: 0-7 overall and 0-3 on 3s, didn't score. Hats off to the Boilers again. I don't know for how many years I've been thinking we're well past due to outperform expectations and seemingly here we sit with another year of unmet expectations on our end and them exceeding them. Stinks.

Not sure of that. Edey doesn't guard anyone because he can't. He guards the rim and the area directly around the rim, and the rim just doesn't draw many fouls. Defense for him is drop coverage, then just walling up on shots ....

Plus, teams aren't attacking him, they're instead attacking that gaping hole in the middle of the defense he causes while playing drop coverage 100% of the time and not having the agility or foot speed to rotate and challenge that shot, or rotate back if he does.

Last edited:
didn't watch but the difference in the box score appeared to be FTs. PU was 16-18 and I think MSU was 7-10. I know Izzo couldn't have been happy with that. If they did double off Morton, looks smart: 0-7 overall and 0-3 on 3s, didn't score.
Everyone doubles off Morton .. his career high is 10 pts, which he's reached once.

Look at what the actual rule is for hook and hold. Edey had the rebound, both hands on the ball, other player had his arm wrapped around. Edey threw him like a rag doll but still had both hands on the ball.

Everyone doubles off Morton .. his career high is 10 pts, which he's reached once.
I think it is pretty clear who on PU scores, and Edey is the head. Loyer is option 2, and then there is a sizeable gap. The other players aren't used to carrying the scoring load and wouldn't be comfortable with it: if one of them beats you, tip your hat and move on.

You have to force refs to make calls on Edey. I would agree that players aren't going at him enough on offense.

is now frontrunner for NPOY
Which is well deserved, especially for a goofy lumbering oaf.

He's a physical outlier, like Zion, like Shaq, and is putting up similar efficiency .. A severe matchup problem for every team that plays him but unlike them he comes with a small set of defensive issues that can be exploited.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cheap shot artist
Not sure of that. Edey doesn't guard anyone because he can't. He guards the rim and the area directly around the rim, and the rim just doesn't draw many fouls. Defense for him is drop coverage, then just walling up on shots ....

Plus, teams aren't attacking him, they're instead attacking that gaping hole in the middle of the defense he causes while playing drop coverage 100% of the time and not having the agility or foot speed to rotate and challenge that shot, or rotate back if he does.
I think TJD and he are going to be a really interesting match uo. I really have no idea what will happen. Who is the best center Edey has been up against?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and ulrey
X and Rob went at Edey last year and got layups. Edey is still a goofball. Get him going one way and then go another: he probably isn't going to recover in time. The more you can make him move, the better.
Maybe we will have X back for the rematch

X and Rob went at Edey last year and got layups. Edey is still a goofball. Get him going one way and then go another: he probably isn't going to recover in time. The more you can make him move, the better.
Edey a goofball? Leading canidate for NPOY. 32pt 17rb. Some of you on here are delusional. Along the likes who called Edey "nothing special" and Jaden Ivey "enificient chucker"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT