ADVERTISEMENT

I can admit when I’m wrong

I watched Miller's teams at UD. Although I'm not a big fan like I am with IU, I really enjoyed watching UD play, especially on defense because it was such a welcome change from Crean's teams at IU which played minimal defense and I hated how they played. I'm convinced Miller can coach. The primary problem with this team is they can't shoot from outside. They get plenty of open looks, but don't hit them. We have some guys that shot well in high school and even at IU (Greene and Durham) but even they stunk it up from outside today - except at the end when the pressure was off. At times this year IU has looked very good on defense (even most of the first half today) and pretty good on offense as well because they hit outside shots in those games. They start hitting those outside shots and this team will look good on offense and will win more than they lose.

You guys are welcome to have a different opinion, but it would be nice if some of the over the top negative posters weren't total shitheads about it. Not talking about you specifically, the shitheads know who they are. I'm really going to enjoy watching the shitheads eat crow if I'm right and they're wrong. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll be in the fire the coach club. I was in that club for Crean long before a lot of others here joined. I really did not enjoy watching Crean's teams play. I hated the style which came with a lot of turnovers and horrible defense. I actually think Crean's teams underachieved nearly every year he coached at IU and I said it a few times here. However, I wasn't a insufferable shithead about like the insufferable shitheads we have here. It'll be clear who those guys are when they take offense to this post. ;)

Incidentally, I actually think Miller did a very good job his first year. He didn't have a lot of talent left over from Crean's woefully underperforming last team, but Miller made that team better as the year went along and it was obvious to anyone that cared to pay attention. Last year ultimately sucked because of the bad stretch, but early in the season and toward the end of the season they played well and looked a lot like Miller's UD teams in several games - tough and aggressive on defense and decent on offense. Obviously, the roster was flawed (as this one still is) as well without true post play and a lack of consistent outside shooters. And yes, injuries were a major issue last year too. So for me it's one acceptable season where the team showed clear progress and one ultimately failed season due to the 1-13 stretch which I give Miller a split grade of B+ early and late and a D- for the 1-13 stretch - not an F because of the MSU win.

Good post. I think many of us who are underwhelmed would be more optimistic if recruiting was better. he's bringing in decent players but no where near the type of players necessary to compete nationally. at least with crean's insanity there was hope because he was bringing in classes that were ranked in the top ten.

I'd say that no matter how this season turns out Miller will be coach next year. They buyout is too steep and almost no program would pay it. It's why the crying about that is really a waste of time, though maybe it's emotionally satisfying for some to do it. Miller was the hottest coach available. Everyone was convinced he was a great hire. Sports Illustrated (or maybe it was ESPN) called it a "slam dunk." I don't think Miller forgot how to coach. If these players shot better from outside consistently, we'd probably not be having this conversation. Shooting is really the Achilles heel.

Oh I think he’ll be back. If nothing else, the timing of Glass’ retirement ensures that. He’s not going to fire the MBB coach on his way out the door. And, yes, the buyout would be precious — which sounds eerily familiar.

I just don’t think he should be back if he goes 0-3...whatever we pinpoint as the cause of our mediocrity. He’s the one being paid to win games. The buck stops with him.

If our season rides on the prospect of becoming a good — even an average — outside shooting team, then the season is lost. That isn’t going to happen.

Hopefully the coaches have another plan.
I'm sure they're not counting on it. I'm guessing they're going to rely on getting better on defense and continue to rebound well and try to score more in transition. That was Miller's message to the team in the huddle and they didn't execute. What I'd like to see is more pressing defense like they played at the end of the game so they can create more turnovers and shoot more layups. Probably can't do it the entire game, but one strength of the team is that they can play 10 and try to keep the players fresher than most can when they try to press. If/when Hunter remembers how to shoot, Green takes more spot up shots where he's good at hitting them, and Durham does as well, the team can continue to play inside out, but will have more success inside and overall as the other team will have to guard the outside shots.

ESPN lmao Jeez dude think for yourself u brainwashed fool
Well, hey you're the first shithead I expected would reply. You should really stop playing the poor victim of every IU loss and also, don't revise history. Everyone considered Miller a great hire and he was definitely the hottest young prospect available. Someone posted several links to several different sites which reported on it.

Reactions: cryano
It was an almost universally praised hire. And with good reason. His Dayton teams, the times I watched them, looked very good. It’s hard to explain how the same guy who coached them has put the sloppy, ineffectual products we’ve seen for 2.5 years on the floor.

I won’t criticize Glass for the hire. But bait should be cut sooner rather than later once something clearly hasn’t worked out.
Or was it the Dayton program? They didn’t seem to regress after Miller left and seem to be doing fine this year.

Or was it the Dayton program? They didn’t seem to regress after Miller left and seem to be doing fine this year.

So Archie is to Dayton and IU as Todd Lickliter was to Butler and Iowa.

Interesting theory. I’ll give it some consideration.

Good post. I think many of us who are underwhelmed would be more optimistic if recruiting was better. he's bringing in decent players but no where near the type of players necessary to compete nationally. at least with crean's insanity there was hope because he was bringing in classes that were ranked in the top ten.
I mean if we had gotten Brooks and Garcia was coming in I would have some optimism. But if you recall last spring we struck out on everyone but brunk. I really done see how Archie lands these big boys from 2021 with the product he is producing

VanPastorMan said:

Beard isn't coming because for him being at Tech is more about quality of life. He has daughters who live in the area, probably some cute grandkids.

Whatever. $8million and Bob Knights blessing he comes this is so easy it’s laughable
[/quote]
Oh, didn’t realize Beard has several national titles to warrant 8 million per year. SMH

I mean if we had gotten Brooks and Garcia was coming in I would have some optimism. But if you recall last spring we struck out on everyone but brunk. I really done see how Archie lands these big boys from 2021 with the product he is producing

Those 2 misses will end up being the nail in the coffin for Archie. He’s not a good enough coach to overcome it. We will have a pretty season, next year, and he will be sent packing after year 5 (when we regress back to a top 30ish team) is my prediction. Thankfully, Glass, won’t be here to save him.

Praised by who? THE MEDIA

Atlantic 10 sucksssssssss. That’s like saying I liked so and so offense in Mountain West and then thinking it would work in Big ten.

He had wins over Gonzaga, Ohio St, Syracuse, Stanford, Iowa, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Providence while coaching the Flyers. UD did VERY well against the power conferences while Archie was at UD.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
There is zero excitement around this program. Cheat is the only way to land top recruits at this point. I'd rather roll the dice with a new coach than cheat.

VanPastorMan said:

What we need to do is provide jobs for his daughters and or their husbands. Lots of perks like free childcare for grandkids. Is that even legal?

I now realize that in some ways Crean was overall better for program than Archie. At least we had players who had some shooting skills and could finish at rim
[/quote]
Crean could build up the program to win a conference title, but he couldn’t sustain that level. He won the B1G in 2013, then didn’t make the tourney the following year. Same thing happened in 2016 & 2017.

Right now it looks like Archie can’t even build a winning program. This team is really no different than what it was in January 2018, his first season. Two and a half seasons with no improvement is just unacceptable and there’s no end in sight.

I'd say that no matter how this season turns out Miller will be coach next year. They buyout is too steep and almost no program would pay it. It's why the crying about that is really a waste of time, though maybe it's emotionally satisfying for some to do it. Miller was the hottest coach available. Everyone was convinced he was a great hire. Sports Illustrated (or maybe it was ESPN) called it a "slam dunk." I don't think Miller forgot how to coach. If these players shot better from outside consistently, we'd probably not be having this conversation. Shooting is really the Achilles heel.
I haven't thrown in the towel on Miller yet but the shooting issues fall squarely in Archie's lap. He believed it was essential to keep Crean's last class together and we can see how that's gone. He has open schollies now that he could have given up for a head transfer, maybe an overseas guy, something.

What I'm particularly worried about.right now is that there's really not shooting help coming next season. I've seen Leal several times and so.far he's been nothing close.to lights out from the perimeter. A lot of people are going to freak when they get a look at his ball handling skills. LOTS of work to do there.

I'm still hoping Archie gets a handle on things yet this season. The last couple games are looking eerily like last season right now.

Reactions: IUgradman
This is Archie's program. It is on Archie to bring in players that can shoot, teach shooting, and put them in a position to succeed on offense. I thought Archie was like a 90% free throw shooter at NC State. You would think he would be able to identify shooters and teach shooting.

This is Archie's program. It is on Archie to bring in players that can shoot, teach shooting, and put them in a position to succeed on offense. I thought Archie was like a 90% free throw shooter at NC State. You would think he would be able to identify shooters and teach shooting.
Some of these players have a history as good shooters, but aren't doing it for whatever reason. We'll see how it plays out. The FSU game showed that IU is capable of playing very well against good teams and winning. We need more of that and less of today.

Some of these players have a history as good shooters, but aren't doing it for whatever reason. We'll see how it plays out. The FSU game showed that IU is capable of playing very well against good teams and winning. We need more of that and less of today.
I thought Franklin looked like a very good shooter in high school. Besides the ND game he hasn't shown it yet.

What should happen is that Archie would be fired if we miss the tournament again — which is looking increasingly likely. It shouldn’t even be controversial. That’s plenty of time to clear what really is a pretty low bar. We’re not talking a NC, or B10 championship, or even a Sweet Sixteen. We’re just talking making the field.

I agree that it probably won’t happen. But the fact that it won’t says a lot about why our program can’t seem to get any traction. We tolerate poor results for far too long — living in fear that making a change “too quickly” will only make matters worse.

It’s an irrational fear.
Agree 100%. It was the same story with Crean also.

Im hoping IU names an AD prior to Glass official resignation date, and the new AD has a bball coach he wants to bring in.
The university negotiates a buy-out, which happens all the time...and Archie and Fred leave the new AD the opportunity to hire the head coach.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT