ADVERTISEMENT

I am impressed by alot of people on this forum

ILikeTDs

Redshirt
Sep 17, 2011
I would classify myself as a diehard IU fan probably for about 5-6 years. In this short time, I am already getting frustrated by "the same old story". I find myself preparing myself emotionally for a let down by saying "I know IU is going to lose in the end, so it doesn't matter what happens". Its similar to prepping yourself for a scary movie telling yourself its their fault they went into the basement lol.

How many years have you been a die hard fan and how do you do it especially since there really has not been a big "breakthrough" over the past 50+ years? I get we have improved in recruiting, facilities, etc. but has there really been a dramatic change in the fact few decades? In the past short time I have been a big fan, these journalist can literally copy and past their articles from past years. I wish they did just to prove a point.

Wilson got a lot of people interested and raised is from doormat to “knocking on the door” but after six years would say he flatlined.

Allen is a passionate INDIANA man. He’s accountable, doesn’t make excuses and is focused on getting where he wants to go. But it takes time for a new regime. He made strength/conditioning change after season one, bet we’ll see staff tweaks after year two. Recruiting is up (see #8 RB in country on way) and the defense is way better than old IU days (even with Wilson)

Yesterday’s loss was on special teams. That ultimately will get cleaned up. If IU can beat MN and MD to guarantee bowl game (and make stakes for Bucket game!) that will have us right on track as planned.

I would classify myself as a diehard IU fan probably for about 5-6 years. In this short time, I am already getting frustrated by "the same old story". I find myself preparing myself emotionally for a let down by saying "I know IU is going to lose in the end, so it doesn't matter what happens". Its similar to prepping yourself for a scary movie telling yourself its their fault they went into the basement lol.

How many years have you been a die hard fan and how do you do it especially since there really has not been a big "breakthrough" over the past 50+ years? I get we have improved in recruiting, facilities, etc. but has there really been a dramatic change in the fact few decades? In the past short time I have been a big fan, these journalist can literally copy and past their articles from past years. I wish they did just to prove a point.
I have been a fan for over 40 years and to me if you are a fan of a team you stay with them win or lose.

I have been a fan for over 40 years and to me if you are a fan of a team you stay with them win or lose.
Seriously, that's why a lot of people like you impress me. I will always be a fan, but boy it is tough some times. I am more and more numb to everything that happens in the game. Even if they are up 200 points at half, I still assume they are going to lose somehow. I need this thread to be therapeutic for me somehow haha.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
Seriously, that's why a lot of people like you impress me. I will always be a fan, but boy it is tough some times. I am more and more numb to everything that happens in the game. Even if they are up 200 points at half, I still assume they are going to lose somehow. I need this thread to be therapeutic for me somehow haha.
That does not mean you don't get upset and vent but when the next game day gets here you come back and cheer. To me if you can't be there during the hard times then you don't deserve to be there when things turn around.

IU fans are about 90% scar tissue.

I try and accentuate the positive.

Some days are harder than others.

This team shows promise but it’s not ready to eat.

Beat Minnuhsoda.

Since 1960. The Cubs took a while too.

This is our life. Yes of course, we all know that in these games vs good teams we will find a way to lose, & the last 5 years it's been particularly frustrating & painful because we COULD have won literally about half of those games(probably about 15 or so of them)& in reality, correct me if I'm wrong, but we've actually won zero, have we not? We thought we won 1 against MSU a couple years ago, but it turns out they sucked. So, it's been tantalizing to say the least. Remarkable even, to lose ALL of those games. The thing that bothers me most is that, although everyone says the right things, you know damn well the players & coaches also expect to lose, they HAVE to at this point. & this is a vicious cycle makes it that much harder to win. All of those players that come from winning HS programs, are used to winning, & yet somehow when they come here, they become the 20th century Chicago Cubs. I'll never give up though, no matter what. Someday, we will win. A lot.

Reactions: CrazyHands
September 21st 1985. My first game at IU...beat a strong Navy team with future NFLer Napoleon Mccalum at RB. IU scored late on a Steve Bradley to Ernie Jones TD to win 38-35.

I think watching the Mallory days gave me a "first impression" bias that sticks today...that IU is more than capable of forming a strong program with the right coach and consistently good recruiting.

I'm still waiting for that to happen again. I like some of the things Allen is doing, especially in terms or recruiting, but I also see some real problems that I'm not sure are going to get "fixed"...or at least fixed in time before recruits start holding the program accountable for their on-field record.

I have a scale of how my expectations and criticism of my team's performance....from HIGH (IU basketball/Indy Colts) to medium (Pacers) to LOW (my son's pee-wee soccer team). IU football slides somewhere just above or below the Pacers, depending on the coach, personnel, and AD commitment at the time. There are many times I just don't really get too critical as I think the team/coach are just overmatched. I mean getting mad that your low 3-stars are being push around by 4/5-stars seems a bit helpless. Other times if I see that the AD and Coach have some opportunities to pounce to improve the program and don't capitalize, then I can get a bit restless. Seeing IU botch 2 opportunities this year with MSU/PSU, then seeing PU do something IU hasn't done since the Reagan Administration with a coach signed the same year as our coach, has instilled a degree of concern I normally don't have.

I have been a fan since the Frank Stavroff years in the mid 60s. Many times I have been quite disheartened. Nothing worse than that Rutgers game a few years ago.

First of all I realized many years ago that IU FB for me is just a source of entertainment. If I get my own ego wrapped up in them like many fans do I would be going nuts. I love my school so I cannot go to another FB program, so I have to live with the product they give me and get whatever enjoyment I can get from it.

I also love college football so it is a lot of fun going to the games. So I go and cheer my lungs out and then go get something to eat and flush it because no matter what happens the sun comes up the next day and if I’m still here I want to be able to enjoy that too.

Purdue.... this argument doesn’t work anymore

What was wrong with the Cubs? Ownerships approach

What’s wrong with IU? Ownerships approach

This is an old argument that has gone on this board. When it gets brought up you get pounded about the investments in the stadium .... finally. But let’s face it, they haven’t invested in the coaching and refuse too. We have increased our coaching money tremendously but that doesn’t say squat. We are still at the bottom of the B10 salary wise.

For some odd reason the fan base seems to think IU can hire a guy with no head coaching experience, pay him less, and surround him with inexperienced assistants and expect that to be a recipe for winning.

The guys north of us have taken two years to do only what we dream of.... they didn’t squeak by either. Even with an inferior squad on paper... well done

Last edited:
I have been a fan since the Frank Stavroff years in the mid 60s. Many times I have been quite disheartened. Nothing worse than that Rutgers game a few years ago.

First of all I realized many years ago that IU FB for me is just a source of entertainment. If I get my own ego wrapped up in them like many fans do I would be going nuts. I love my school so I cannot go to another FB program, so I have to live with the product they give me and get whatever enjoyment I can get from it.

I also love college football so it is a lot of fun going to the games. So I go and cheer my lungs out and then go get something to eat and flush it because no matter what happens the sun comes up the next day and if I’m still here I want to be able to enjoy that too.

when I was younger I would let an outcome of a game effect by mood and people hated to be around me when we lost. After growing up and having kids I realize that an outcome of a game should not ruin my day or weekend and just move on to the next thing in life. I think some people take sports to seriously and they think their self worth is based on whether their team wins or loses a game.

when I was younger I would let an outcome of a game effect by mood and people hated to be around me when we lost. After growing up and having kids I realize that an outcome of a game should not ruin my day or weekend and just move on to the next thing in life. I think some people take sports to seriously and they think their self worth is based on whether their team wins or loses a game.
I know from your many posts that you're much more of a hoops fan, so I think your philosophy works much better for you than for those of us with a "football first" mentality.

My self-worth has nothing to do with IU football, but my Fall Saturdays enjoyment has much to do with it and always will. I make no apologies for that.

I know from your many posts that you're much more of a hoops fan, so I think your philosophy works much better for you than for those of us with a "football first" mentality.

My self-worth has nothing to do with IU football, but my Fall Saturdays enjoyment has much to do with it and always will. I make no apologies for that.
I just changed a little bit once I got older and it did not matter which team lost I was miserable afterwards. I also yelled a lot and it even made my kids scared to be around when I was watching my team play. After that I realized that a sport is not worth getting so emotionally vested in an outcome of the game. It could be IU basketball or football, the Colts or Pacers I would go nuts watching the game and let it ruin my day or even until the next game. I still get a little upset during the game but nothing like I use to and after the game I am able to let it go and move on. I probably was as bad when I played the game because I even hated losing more when I was playing and it caused problems with friends sometimes.

I am 45 and have been going to games with my dad since i was a toddler. we still have season tickets together so i don't miss many games. have missed more than usual this season due to kids' games, etc.....but i sat through the deluge of rain that was the Virginia game and I was there saturday in the gale force winds.

i have no qualms about leaving early. been there done that. i don't drink the kool aid anymore. I just look at it as spending time with my dad and being in bloomington is never a bad day. but as for my optimism, it has faded and i just don't care as much as i used to.

hoops on the other hand.....i am drinking kegs of that kool aid. :)

I have no problem with people not spending the money and not going at all but I do have a problem with people leaving at halftime of a game. I understand not wanting to spend the money or not having the extra money to spend on season tickets or a single game especially if you have a family. I just don't understand the people who actually spend the money and take the time to drive to Bloomington and leave at halftime of a close game.

I have no problem with people not spending the money and not going at all but I do have a problem with people leaving at halftime of a game. I understand not wanting to spend the money or not having the extra money to spend on season tickets or a single game especially if you have a family. I just don't understand the people who actually spend the money and take the time to drive to Bloomington and leave at halftime of a close game.
i've never left at half time. i don't get that either. but when i leave it is normally in the 4th and the game is not in question.

but again, why worry about when people leave? it's not your money or time.

i've never left at half time. i don't get that either. but when i leave it is normally in the 4th and the game is not in question.

Because it makes IU look bad on national TV and it can't help in recruiting. I am pretty sure there were a 4 star LB from northern Indiana at the game Saturday and seeing the fan support will not help our chances with him.

Saban has publicly chastised fans for leaving early. Saban. At Alabama.

Saban has publicly chastised fans for leaving early. Saban. At Alabama.

again. i would say to saban, it's my money and my time piss off. don't tell me what to do or how to be a fan.

this is one of the most idiotic gripes of this place. fans leaving early. if it's close, sure, stick around. but if we are down big i am not sticking around till the clock strikes 0 just to "prove" my fandom. i don't need to prove that to anyone and it's funny some here think that is the sign of a "true" fan. not you necessarily but folks in general.

win some damn big time football games and it will change. until then...well.......

again. i would say to saban, it's my money and my time piss off. don't tell me what to do or how to be a fan.

this is one of the most idiotic gripes of this place. fans leaving early. if it's close, sure, stick around. but if we are down big i am not sticking around till the clock strikes 0 just to "prove" my fandom. i don't need to prove that to anyone and it's funny some here think that is the sign of a "true" fan. not you necessarily but folks in general.

win some damn big time football games and it will change. until then...well.......
Saturday was still close and there were 500 people there the last 5 minutes of the game. if I gave up on my team as easily as some of you do then I would have missed a lot of great comebacks like the Colts coming back form 21 down with 5 minutes to go on Monday night against Tampa Bay. I would have missed 2 great comebacks against the Patriots one being in the AFC Championship game and the other in the regular season where they were down 17 mid way through the 3rd quarter. How about the Colts being down 38-10 in the 3rd against KC in the playoffs.

I've stuck around to the very end before in games like last Saturday and endured the "OH" "IO" & "Blue"/"White" chants of the OSU & PSU fans........so I left with 4/5 minutes to play. Now, if James Franklin had been kind enough to let me know he was going to throw the ball up 13 with 5 minutes left with us having 1 TO(?). I might reconsidered.

How many of those PSU fans would have stuck around to the end if we had been up 13 with 4 minutes to go?

Reactions: IU40IU

College football has sold out the fan in the stand for television dollars. Games that reach 4 hours in length to accommodate endless tv timeouts and inconvenient starting times are more responsible than any other factor in diminishing attendance (and early departures) across the college football landscape.

That's fine. Money drives a lot of things, not just college sports. But the tradeoff for that is a decreasingly enjoyable in-stadium experience for fans that inevitably is going to result in more people choosing not to go or leaving early.

Couple that with games that are decided long before the clock shows zero or a home team that isn't winning much and you have what Memorial Stadium looked like at 7 p.m. last Saturday.

Reactions: LeConte and IU40IU
Saturday was still close and there were 500 people there the last 5 minutes of the game. if I gave up on my team as easily as some of you do then I would have missed a lot of great comebacks like the Colts coming back form 21 down with 5 minutes to go on Monday night against Tampa Bay. I would have missed 2 great comebacks against the Patriots one being in the AFC Championship game and the other in the regular season where they were down 17 mid way through the 3rd quarter. How about the Colts being down 38-10 in the 3rd against KC in the playoffs.
It was less close than the final outcome might indicate. IU scored with under a minute to play and even after recovering the onside kick, needed a touchdown (with no timeouts left) to win. It was possible, but pretty damn improbable, even with some serious clock mismanagement by PSU in the final minutes.

I've stuck around to the very end before in games like last Saturday and endured the "OH" "IO" & "Blue"/"White" chants of the OSU & PSU fans........so I left with 4/5 minutes to play. Now, if James Franklin had been kind enough to let me know he was going to throw the ball up 13 with 5 minutes left with us having 1 TO(?). I might reconsidered.

How many of those PSU fans would have stuck around to the end if we had been up 13 with 4 minutes to go?
right on.

it's not just an IU problem. watch any game of any sport and when the fans think the game is over, especially a blow-out, even the announcers will mention how they are headed to the aisles.

folks around here act like it is just IU fans who leave early. it's laughable. someone earlier even mentioned alabama...so if saban got on the the fans then they must have been leaving early lol even at alabama..oh the humanity!

It was less close than the final outcome might indicate. IU scored with under a minute to play and even after recovering the onside kick, needed a touchdown (with no timeouts left) to win. It was possible, but pretty damn improbable, even with some serious clock mismanagement by PSU in the final minutes.
Most people probably said the same thing with the other games I mentioned but it happened. Did you give up on the 87 team in the championship game when they got down 10 mid way though the second half against Syracuse. How about being down 18 at half in 2002 to the #1 team Duke in the sweet 16

Most people probably said the same thing with the other games I mentioned but it happened. Did you give up on the 87 team in the championship game when they got down 10 mid way though the second half against Syracuse. How about being down 18 at half in 2002 to the #1 team Duke in the sweet 16
my gawd man now you're comparing iu football regular season games to championship caliber teams and tournament games? it's iu football. there's a history there and it isn't a good one. there is a reason (actually many reasons) as to why iu football fans to leave early. if you don't understand this i can't help you. you may not agree with them leaving early and that's fine but to keep your head in the sand as to what has brought fans to this point is insanity. do your thing and let other fans do theirs. it's that simple.

Reactions: IUgradman
my gawd man now you're comparing iu football regular season games to championship caliber teams and tournament games? it's iu football. there's a history there and it isn't a good one. there is a reason (actually many reasons) as to why iu football fans to leave early. if you don't understand this i can't help you. you may not agree with them leaving early and that's fine but to keep your head in the sand as to what has brought fans to this point is insanity. do your thing and let other fans do theirs. it's that simple.
I use to go to the NCAA tournament every year when the RCA Dome would host the 1st/2nd round game. The last game would normally end around midnight and this was after watching 3 other games and I would stay until the final second even when I had no rooting interest in either team. Go ahead and do you own thing but stop complaining about how bad Iu football is because you are part of the problem. If you don't think the stands being empty for the second half does not have an impact on the team then I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Lillyr66
I've been going to almost every game for 55 years. On Saturday when IU went up by one point with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and then the let PSU run the kickoff back to our 5 yard line, I looked at my wife and said "That's so IU."

A football weekend is like a mini vacation. I go down to enjoy the campus and town. Used to take my kids down and treat them to a good time. The football has been pretty bad overall.

I almost always stay for the full game despite the score. On Saturday I left with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Mostly because my wife was freezing her ass off (so was I), but largely because I was so disgusted at the kickoff return after we scored and once again grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory. I don't recall ever leaving that early. Same old, same old...

I use to go to the NCAA tournament every year when the RCA Dome would host the 1st/2nd round game. The last game would normally end around midnight and this was after watching 3 other games and I would stay until the final second even when I had no rooting interest in either team. Go ahead and do you own thing but stop complaining about how bad Iu football is because you are part of the problem. If you don't think the stands being empty for the second half does not have an impact on the team then I don't know what to tell you.

I was there during the second half on Saturday. But I don’t bash folks for leaving.

Your lectures on “fandom” are stale.

1976. IU homecoming bested Northwstern and John Pont, 7-0. Saw the bucket game later that year up there, IU won that one too. Might be my last perfect season in-person.

We left with 6 min left Saturday. Had a great time despite the obvious frustration.

Reactions: IU40IU
Enrolled at IU in 1982, Lee Corso's final year.

Got excited with Sam Wyche and the ugly uniforms.

Sat through Mallory's 0-11 season. Helped tear down the goal posts as a senior after we beat Louisville for Mal's first Hoosier win in 1986. Was at Ohio St. in '87 and also at PU where we won 52-7 and had a late TD nullified by Markell Granderson's illegal motion. Missed the UM game that year and it still haunts me.

Had to give up my season tickets in 1991 when I became a Dad. Still listened, watched, went to every game I could. Read everything I could find about IU football. Still do. Doesn't matter if it is October or April, I can't get enough info on IUFB.

Went to BSU and will go to PU game this year with my now 27 year old Son. Anxiously awaiting my now 2 year old Grandson to join!

My alma mater. My team. My coach. My passion. Indiana football!

Enrolled at IU in 1982, Lee Corso's final year.

Got excited with Sam Wyche and the ugly uniforms.

Sat through Mallory's 0-11 season. Helped tear down the goal posts as a senior after we beat Louisville for Mal's first Hoosier win in 1986. Was at Ohio St. in '87 and also at PU where we won 52-7 and had a late TD nullified by Markell Granderson's illegal motion. Missed the UM game that year and it still haunts me.

Had to give up my season tickets in 1991 when I became a Dad. Still listened, watched, went to every game I could. Read everything I could find about IU football. Still do. Doesn't matter if it is October or April, I can't get enough info on IUFB.

Went to BSU and will go to PU game this year with my now 27 year old Son. Anxiously awaiting my now 2 year old Grandson to join!

My alma mater. My team. My coach. My passion. Indiana football!
Wow - our paths are literally parallel. Only difference is I did attend the Michigan game - and yes you should be haunted :)

I did keep my season tickets through kids, even though we only made it to maybe one game per season. Now that they are all out of school we get to most games again. Have fun with the grandson!

Was at the UM game in '87, not at OSU. We did listen (no tv coverage) to the whole game. Couldn't believe what we were hearing. Did go to MSU for "big 10 championship game." Was frozen and disappointed.

Reactions: ESalum86
Purdue.... this argument doesn’t work anymore

What was wrong with the Cubs? Ownerships approach

What’s wrong with IU? Ownerships approach

This is an old argument that has gone on this board. When it gets brought up you get pounded about the investments in the stadium .... finally. But let’s face it, they haven’t invested in the coaching and refuse too. We have increased our coaching money tremendously but that doesn’t say squat. We are still at the bottom of the B10 salary wise.

For some odd reason the fan base seems to think IU can hire a guy with no head coaching experience, pay him less, and surround him with inexperienced assistants and expect that to be a recipe for winning.

The guys north of us have taken two years to do only what we dream of.... they didn’t squeak by either. Even with an inferior squad on paper... well done
You think because I said I had been a fan since 1960 and then referenced Cub fans suffering I was arguing for maintaining our current course? Far from it. Just responding to someone who wondered how long we had been following the program. Good grief!

Been a fan since 1982. IU student fall of 1987 when we were fun to watch. I'm the eternal optimist but it gets harder every year. Watching 50 slant passes in a row for completions is painful to watch !

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT