I-69 Update work helps finish project a year early

secondasky

Junior
Sep 8, 2013
INDOT Expediting I-69 Finish Line Construction
Monday, December 28th 2020, 12:27 PM EST
By Alex Brown, Assistant Managing Editor

MARTINSVILLE -
The Indiana Department of Transportation has announced plans to speed up construction on the final stretch of I-69 in Morgan County. Beginning Saturday, nearly five miles of State Road 37 in Martinsville will be closed as crews work to finish the I-69 Finish Line project.

INDOT says the closure, which is expected to last most of 2021, will allow crews to work safer and faster. The closure, according to the agency, will also allow work to be completed a full year ahead of schedule.

An official detour has been set for the area, with north-south state highway traffic following State Roads 39, 67 and 144. Long-distance traffic is being encouraged to use alternate routes, including I-65, State Road 135 and I-70.

INDOT says several east-west roads will remain open to provide local access across State Road 37. You can learn more about the closure by clicking here.

INDOT Expediting I-69 Finish Line Construction
Monday, December 28th 2020, 12:27 PM EST
By Alex Brown, Assistant Managing Editor

MARTINSVILLE -
The Indiana Department of Transportation has announced plans to speed up construction on the final stretch of I-69 in Morgan County. Beginning Saturday, nearly five miles of State Road 37 in Martinsville will be closed as crews work to finish the I-69 Finish Line project.

INDOT says the closure, which is expected to last most of 2021, will allow crews to work safer and faster. The closure, according to the agency, will also allow work to be completed a full year ahead of schedule.

An official detour has been set for the area, with north-south state highway traffic following State Roads 39, 67 and 144. Long-distance traffic is being encouraged to use alternate routes, including I-65, State Road 135 and I-70.

INDOT says several east-west roads will remain open to provide local access across State Road 37. You can learn more about the closure by clicking here.
I sure hope it speeds up the work so more people can fill Memorial Stadium this Fall.

it's only 5 f'ing miles, (less than 4 in reality), that's already 4 lane, that only has 5 intersections now. (and one intersection doesn't need touched).

and there is no remotely credible detour route for anywhere south of 465.

how could totally closing it down possibly save a whole yr, or even a whole month?

saying it would save a yr is total and complete BS, especially when it shouldn't take anywhere near a yr to do to begin with, even if you didn't shut it down.

and that "5" miles that needs addressed looks a lot more like 3 miles to me, since 39/37-69 intersection on the south side doesn't need touched since it's already on/off ramps with no lights, and all that really needs addressed is from Burton Ln, (where McDonalds, Taco Bell are), to 44 to the north. (just under 3 miles total per Google Earth).

total idiocracy at work.

If I were coming from east side Indianapolis I think I would use I65 to Columbus and over. Other than in leaf peeping season that is.
Agreed. In fact, that's probably the better route from that side no matter what the situation might be with IN-37/I-69.

it's only 5 f'ing miles, (less than 4 in reality), that's already 4 lane, that only has 5 intersections now. (and one intersection doesn't need touched).

how could totally closing it down possibly save a whole yr, or even a whole month?

saying it would save a yr is total and complete BS, especially when it shouldn't take anywhere near a yr to do to begin with, even if you didn't shut it down.

and that "5" miles that needs addressed looks a lot more like 3 miles to me, since 39/37-69 intersection on the south side doesn't need touched since it's already on/off ramps with no lights, and all that really needs addressed is from Burton Ln, (where McDonalds, Taco Bell are), to 44 to the north. (just under 3 miles total per Google Earth).

total idiocracy at work.

Did you sleep at a holiday inn or something?

Reactions: muubell and mk23
Another way is take 67 to Spencer but before you go all the way to Spencer there is a road you can turn on to bypass Spencer. You have to GPS it.
Gosport, then county line road. I used that a lot during the earlier I-69 construction.

2 lane from Martinsville to Gosport, bad winding back road from Gosport to 46, 2 lane to Ellettsville from County Line Rd, heavy traffic from Ellettsville to Btown.

and probably 15-20 miles out of your way as opposed to 37 from Indy to Btown.

i've driven that many times, and don't recommend unless you're stopping at Rolling Meadows to get in a few holes.

used to be a roundabout way to cut from Paragon to 37, but i doubt the access to 37/69 is still there, and that route wasn't good to begin with.

like i said, there is no good detour or alt route.

totally closing 37 through Martinsville is total idiocracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier009 and mk23
If you want to provide the details on your civil engineering degree and your extensive background designing highway construction projects, I'll be the first to offer an apology.

again, what did i say that you disagree with?

so much as one thing.

put up, or shut up.

I'm not the person contradicting the opinion of professionals - that would be you. So again, enlighten me as to your qualifications to label those folks "idiots". Soooo... put up.

got it.

you can't come up with one thing i said you disagree with, so are just trolling.

like i said, put up or shut up.

the existing road doesn't need ripped out.

all that's needed is 5, (or 4 since Walmart doesn't need it's own), overpasses and ramps.

and those can be completed with lane closures and occasional nightly road closures.

if you've ever observed an overpass being put in, you'd know this to be so.

Last edited:
got it.

you can't come up with one thing i said you disagree with, so are just trolling.

Nice avoidance. But given that you seem to have Trumpian-esque expertise in so many areas ( telecommunications, pandemic health planning, highway construction, etc) you must be a guy that really knows almost anything. So, here's a legitimate question: how is it that a sheep, a cow, and a horse can all graze in the same pasture, eating exactly the same grass and other plants, yet they all shit in such different forms. I figure a guy with your level of expertise in so many different areas can easily answer that (unless of course, agriculture is the one area that you don't know more about than anyone else). I've always been curious about that oddity - can you please explain it to me ?

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Nice avoidance. But given that you seem to have Trumpian-esque expertise in so many areas ( telecommunications, pandemic health planning, highway construction, etc) you must be a guy that really knows almost anything. So, here's a legitimate question: how is it that a sheep, a cow, and a horse can all graze in the same pasture, eating exactly the same grass and other plants, yet they all shit in such different forms. I figure a guy with your level of expertise in so many different areas can easily answer that (unless of course, agriculture is the one area that you don't know more about than anyone else). I've always been curious about that oddity - can you please explain it to me ?

you're the expert on sh*t.

i'll defer to you on that.

you're the expert on sh*t.

i'll defer to you on that.
So when I say you don't know shit, you're admitting I'm correct. So I think I'll just accept of the opinion of those who actually have invested a lifetime learning their shit, and dismiss you for being the f#%king blowhard at the corner bar stool who claims to be an expert on every subject. Having said that, I'll be done with you and leave you with the last word. Like our old pal Ord, I know you can't walk away otherwise.

got it.

all that's needed is 5 overpasses and ramps.

and those can be completed with lane closures and occasional nightly road closures.

So you know from observation. Got it. I've been watching jet planes fly all my life - you want to get on a plane I'm piloting ?

So you know from observation. Got it. I've been watching jet planes fly all my life - you want to get on a plane I'm piloting ?

you're just trolling. no idea why.

and yea, if you've watched a jet go from point A to B, you know approx how long it takes for a jet to go from point A to B.

you don't have to be an aeronautical engineer.

i've watch numerous overpasses go up. as have you.

none required years to connect over existing lanes below, and none required a main hwy to close completely for much of a yr.

all that's needed is 4 overpasses and ramps.

the ramps and much of the overpasses require no lane closures.

the rest of the overpasses can be completed/connected with lane closures, and the occasional night closure of all lanes.

how do i know?

because i've watched it done numerous times, as have you, and see nothing unique about Martinsville.

insanity.

Last edited:

total idiocracy at work.

You’re talking about five miles of highway that were designed and built in the 70’s. They’re gonna rip out every bit of concrete and start over, new drainage, new everything. Having to try to do that while maintaining traffic access is incredibly difficult and incredibly dangerous for the construction crews. Not having to maintain traffic will be a godsend for those workers. And that interchange at SR 39 is currently a stupid clusterf*** of a design, so I can see why you’d be enamored of it.

you're just trolling. no idea why.

and yea, if you've watched a jet go from point A to B, you know approx how long it takes for a jet to go from point A to B.

you don't have to be an aeronautical engineer.

i've watch numerous overpasses go up. as have you.

none required years to connect over existing lanes below, and none required a main hwy to close completely for much of a yr.

all that's needed is 4 overpasses and ramps.

the ramps and much of the overpasses require no lane closures.

the rest of the overpasses can be completed/connected with lane closures, and the occasional night closure of all lanes.

how do i know?

because i've watched it done numerous times, as have you, and see nothing unique about Martinsville.

insanity.
I normally would let this conversation pass, but I'm going to jump in as it touches a bit close to home. I'm only an IT guy, not an engineer, but I happen to work for one of the largest engineering and construction firms in the world. I provide IT support for various projects. We're part of a joint venture which has just completed the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway project in Phoenix. It took us four years to complete 22 miles. We're part of a JV which is about to begin work on the Texas Southern Gateway project in Dallas County TX. That's 11 miles of road widening which is also scheduled to take four years. My point being there's a lot of complex issues to deal with when you are improving existing infrastructure. Muubell is very likely correct when he says it's going to be five miles of demolition, then redesign to account for things you discover which were not properly documented or that you didn't have to worry about 40-50 years ago and THEN new construction begins. Again... I'm just an IT guy, but I see enough to trust that the engineers and constructors know what they're doing.

i'vegotwinners,

His point is you have no clue what all goes into turning a highway into an interstate. So how do you know it's being done wrong? You may be right but I would assume you are wrong.

Interstates have a lot more strict guidelines to follow than highways. It likely isn't just about repaving the roads and redoing some overpasses. And personally, i hope they don't cut corners just to please a random internet poster.

i'vegotwinners,

His point is you have no clue what all goes into turning a highway into an interstate. So how do you know it's being done wrong? You may be right but I would assume you are wrong.

Interstates have a lot more strict guidelines to follow than highways. It likely isn't just about repaving the roads and redoing some overpasses. And personally, i hope they don't cut corners just to please a random internet poster.

why would you assume i am wrong?

interstates do have different guidelines, but not regarding what we're discussing here. (more about buffer zones and ramp specs, but i know there are ramp exemptions).

the existing road itself, i would be very surprised if it didn't meet interstate specs.

you have people on here recommending going through Cbus and Nashville, or Gosport, to get from Indy to Btown.

those are the people you should assume don't know what they are talking about.

anytime one challenges what powerful forces, (like the state and big business) do here, that person is going to be attacked by an army of puppets.

unfortunately, good pavement is ripped out and redone far too often, as is redoing ramps that takes forever, just to save 2 seconds per trip.

the time the ramp redesign saves, never covers the time lost to the construction.

anyone who has followed this thing should not have any confidence in those in charge.

i highly doubt there's any way closing that stretch will ever save a yr, or even a month.

You’re talking about five miles of highway that were designed and built in the 70’s. They’re gonna rip out every bit of concrete and start over, new drainage, new everything. Having to try to do that while maintaining traffic access is incredibly difficult and incredibly dangerous for the construction crews. Not having to maintain traffic will be a godsend for those workers. And that interchange at SR 39 is currently a stupid clusterf*** of a design, so I can see why you’d be enamored of it.

if they want new drainage, they can do that when the life of the existing pavement has run it's course.

i've driven that over a thousand times, literally, and have never seen a drainage problem any more so than on an interstate.

as for the current SR 39 interchange, if you have trouble with that, your family needs to do an intervention and take your keys away.

got it.

all that's needed is 5, (or 4 since Walmart doesn't need it's own), overpasses and ramps.

As a practicing land surveyor I can’t even begin to count how many things you have assumed is wrong. Closing the road will speed this project up tremendously, with the incorporation of gps machine control on the dozers the speed and accuracy at which they can move dirt is amazing compared to what it was just 20 years ago.The average person does not realize what it actually takes to construct projects of this scale. When this project is completed it will make the trip to Bloomington much faster and safer for everyone. The final phase of the 69 project which is the tie in of 69 and 465 will also begin this coming spring and they are reconstructing 465 from basically the airport to 65 and this will take 4 years. Just my 2 cents on this thread but it will be a nightmare on 465 and down 37

interstates do have different guidelines, but not regarding what we're discussing here. (more about buffer zones and ramp specs, but i know there are ramp exemptions).

the existing road itself, i would be very surprised if it didn't meet interstate specs.

you have people on here recommending going through Cbus and Nashville, or Gosport, to get from Indy to Btown.

anytime one challenges what powerful forces, (like the state and big business) do here, that person is going to be attacked by an army of puppets.

unfortunately, good pavement is ripped out and redone far too often, as is redoing ramps that takes forever, just to save 2 seconds per trip.

the time the ramp redesign saves, never covers the time lost to the construction.

anyone who has followed this thing should not have any confidence in those in charge.

i highly doubt there's any way closing that stretch will ever save a yr, or even a month.

A little over a decade ago, large portions of 37 got flooded. Not sure about the area being worked on in this article but that shows the road/drainage in many areas needed lots of work.

We assume you are wrong because you have zero experience or expertise in building roads. The same reason you would (and rightfully should) assume I am wrong if I came on this forum to dispute how NASA conducted shuttle launches or a how a surgeon removed a cancerous tumor.

We assume you are wrong because you have zero experience or expertise in building roads. The same reason you would (and rightfully should) assume I am wrong if I came on this forum to dispute how NASA conducted shuttle launches or a how a surgeon removed a cancerous tumor.

If documented expertise has suddenly become the Crimson standard for being able to post on this board I think you're going to find yourself very lonely here...; 90% (or more) of what's posted on here is someone's opinion...

Personally, in regard to the actual topic, it's been my experience that literally going back as far as I can recall the Powers that be have found some excuse to work on SR 37 during football season...

Another lifetime observation is that every major Interstate highway project that I've had to traverse over the past 50 + years has routinely taken 2 to 3 times longer to complete then it's originally stated timeline...

In this particular case (the I-69 extension project)..., SR37 will be, for all intents and purposes, virtually shutdown for the purposes of moving a large volume of traffic from the Indianapolis to Bloomington for the next 8- 10 + years while they completely tear up and rebuild the SR 37 roadbed and adjacent drainages (Above Martinsville) to meet Interstate standards... Whether they save a year or not in Martinsville is meaningless in regard to the total time involved in completing the project from Martinsville north to Indianapolis... That's not even considering the mess they're about to make of south 465...

Everyone coming from north of Indianapolis may as well start thinking about booking rooms at McCormicks Creek State Park, or in and around Nashville and Columbus if you're traveling from more than 4 hours north of B-town... The smart money will prebook cabins near Nashville as far in advance as they can afford...(in my opinion).,,

There won't be an easy quick route to Bloomington from the north for a long, long time, in my opinion...

All that said..., if they had simply taken the cut-off route below Hurricane Ridge south of Martinsville on over to link up with I-70 in the west along with an airport connection they could have saved nearly everyone 8-10 plus years of Major inconvenience and kickstarted a loop similar to I465 (that will eventually come about in the future anyway). Such a loop would have allowed cross country trucking to avoid the snarl and congestion of downtown Indianapolis and I465, freeing it up from the ever growing volume of local traffic...

All they're doing now is feeding more traffic onto a roadway system that can't handle the volume as it is (and their adding a lane to south 465 won't matter a wit over the long or short run)...

Now that's just my opinion, I'm neither a Civil Engineer nor a City Planner but I do have a little bit of commonsense and a whole lot of varied experiences from 50 + years of driving on the roadways mentioned so I figure that makes my "opinion" a valid one...

Last edited:
If documented expertise has suddenly become the Crimson standard for being able to post on this board I think you're going to find yourself very lonely here...; 90% (or more) of what's posted on here is someone's opinion...

Personally, in regard to the actual topic, it's been my experience that literally going back as far as I can recall the Powers that be have found some excuse to work on SR 37 during football season...

Another lifetime observation is that every major Interstate highway project that I've had to traverse over the past 50 + years has routinely taken 2 to 3 times longer to complete then it's originally stated timeline...

In this particular case (the I-69 extension project)..., SR37 will be, for all intents and purposes, virtually shutdown for the purposes of moving a large volume of traffic from the Indianapolis to Bloomington for the next 8- 10 + years while they completely tear up and rebuild the SR 37 roadbed and adjacent drainages (Above Martinsville) to meet Interstate standards... Whether they save a year or not in Martinsville is meaningless in regard to the total time involved in completing the project from Martinsville north to Indianapolis... That's not even considering the mess they're about to make of south 465...

Everyone coming from north of Indianapolis may as well start thinking about booking rooms at McCormicks Creek State Park, or in and around Nashville and Columbus if you're traveling from more than 4 hours north of B-town... The smart money will prebook cabins near Nashville as far in advance as they can afford...(in my opinion).,,

There won't be an easy quick route to Bloomington from the north for a long, long time, in my opinion...

All that said..., if they had simply taken the cut-off route below Hurricane Ridge south of Martinsville on over to link up with I-70 in the west along with an airport connection they could have saved nearly everyone 8-10 plus years of Major inconvenience and kickstarted a loop similar to I465 (that will eventually come about in the future anyway). Such a loop would have allowed cross country trucking to avoid the snarl and congestion of downtown Indianapolis and I465, freeing it up for the ever growing volume of local traffic...

All they're doing now is feeding more traffic onto a roadway system that can't handle the volume as it is (and their adding a lane to south 465 won't matter a wit over the long or short run)...

Now that's just my opinion, I'm neither a Civil Engineer nor a City Planner but I do have a little bit of commonsense and a whole lot of varied experiences from 50 + years of driving on the roadways mentioned so I figure that makes my "opinion" a valid one...

People can post without pretending to be an expert ;). No one was acting like ivegotwinners couldnt post.

Or are you saying disagreement is not allowed when other people post? We must sing around the fire in harmony regardless of how stupid the post.

Next up, how the earth is flat and we need to build a gigantic air pump to fix it.

Last edited:

All that said..., if they had simply taken the cut-off route below Hurricane Ridge south of Martinsville on over to link up with I-70 in the west along with an airport connection they could have saved nearly everyone 8-10 plus years of Major inconvenience and kickstarted a loop similar to I465 (that will eventually come about in the future anyway). Such a loop would have allowed cross country trucking to avoid the snarl and congestion of downtown Indianapolis and I465, freeing it up for the ever growing volume of local traffic...

I agree that they should have taken the route west of Martinsville straight up to I70. But it made too much sense and it created too much light for the observatory.

we will see about the schedule taking longer. It certainly did on the section between Martinsville and Bloomington. We can always hope they learned something there, but maybe that is a far fetched hope.

Reactions: 76-1
That sounds right. Me, when I'm trying to get somewhere, I'm not as concerned about time so much as I am the traffic. The older I get the less I like being in a bunch of traffic with a bunch of numbskulls. I'd take a less congested but slightly longer route any time.

Yeah. I'm the same way. But I've never gone that way and not had it take longer than expected because of delays in Nashville or getting into Bloomington or both.

A little over a decade ago, large portions of 37 got flooded. Not sure about the area being worked on in this article but that shows the road/drainage in many areas needed lots of work.

much of that part of Mville flooded.

not a 37 drainage thing.

not an apples to apples comparison.

much politics and moreso money involved with hwy projects.

and have you not been paying attention to how things have been managed to date.

sorry, but i'm old, and i pay attention.

i've seen a lot of good pavement ripped up over time, (often a use it or lose it funds thing), and un-needed boondoggle ramp re-dos.

all that's needed for that stretch is overpasses and ramps.

and don't question my background unless you have more, which you don't, yet have bestowed yourself with non existent expertise here..

that said, it's a complete disaster that the 465 to Btown stretch had to be converted to Interstate status, but i'll suppose that is about federal money..

otherwise, it would have been far far far better just to fix the actual problem, which was the 18 or so stop lights between 465 and Btown, with more popping up every few yrs. (or say between Btown and Thompson Rd).

the far far better and infinitely quicker and less expensive solution would have been overpasses and ramps at the current lights, some places just an overpass, and keeping it a state rd.

and restricting new lights being added.

moving it to Interstate status rather than just fixing the problem totally f's things up for everybody who lives between Btown and Indy who's rd access has been cut off, and all the relocating that will need to be done to accommodate Interstate buffer rules and access.

and totally f'ing up the drive from Indy to Btown for what, another ten yrs plus, on top of the already X yrs Btown to Mville boondoggle.

just fixing the actual problem of all the stop lights could have been done with relatively little traffic interruption, little relocation, few losing hwy access, and at a fraction the cost.

the another decade plus, or more, of totally f'ing up Btown to Indy is 95% plus due to converting to Interstate status, not fixing the stoplight problem, which was the only problem before.

however long they're saying this is going to take, double or triple it.

Btown to Mville was nothing compared to what Mville to 465 will be.

just the mile between 465 and Epler Rd will be giant furnace to burn money in.

and even going to Interstate status, i don't believe for a second they need to rip up the current pavement before it's lifespan is up, which i doubt is very soon as that stretch and much of Btown to 465 seems in pretty good shape compared to a lot of Interstate rd i've and you've driven.

even going interstate status, all Mville needs is overpasses and ramps.

everything else is just padding the bill and quadrupling the travel hassle as far as i'm concerned. (and no Pub is worried about losing a single vote in Morgantucky County).

and don't count on 67 holding up under all that extra traffic till this is done.

how long before portions of that is down to 2 lane.

then the fun really begins.

and if i don't trust everything govt and big money say, good reason for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
not an apples to apples comparison.

much politics and moreso money involved with hwy projects.

and have you not been paying attention to how things have been managed to date.

sorry, but i'm old, and i pay attention.

i've seen a lot of good pavement ripped up over time, (often a use it or lose it funds thing), and un-needed boondoggle ramp re-dos.

all that's needed for that stretch is overpasses and ramps.

and don't question my background unless you have more, which you don't, yet have bestowed yourself with non existent expertise here..

that said, it's a complete disaster that the 465 to Btown stretch had to be converted to Interstate status, but i'll suppose that is about federal money..

otherwise, it would have been far far far better just to fix the actual problem, which was the 18 or so stop lights between 465 and Btown, with more popping up every few yrs. (or say between Btown and Thompson Rd).

the far far better and infinitely quicker and less expensive solution would have been overpasses and ramps at the current lights, some places just an overpass, and keeping it a state rd.

and restricting new lights being added.

moving it to Interstate status rather than just fixing the problem totally f's things up for everybody who lives between Btown and Indy who's rd access has been cut off, and all the relocating that will need to be done to accommodate Interstate buffer rules and access.

and totally f'ing up the drive from Indy to Btown for what, another ten yrs plus, on top of the already X yrs Btown to Mville boondoggle.

just fixing the actual problem of all the stop lights could have been done with relatively little traffic interruption, little relocation, few losing hwy access, and at a fraction the cost.

the another decade plus, or more, of totally f'ing up Btown to Indy is 95% plus due to converting to Interstate status, not fixing the stoplight problem, which was the only problem before.

however long they're saying this is going to take, double or triple it.

Btown to Mville was nothing compared to what Mville to 465 will be.

just the mile between 465 and Epler Rd will be giant furnace to burn money in.

and even going to Interstate status, i don't believe for a second they need to rip up the current pavement before it's lifespan is up, which i doubt is very soon as that stretch and much of Btown to 465 seems in pretty good shape compared to a lot of Interstate rd i've and you've driven.

even going interstate status, all Mville needs is overpasses and ramps.

everything else is just padding the bill and quadrupling the travel hassle as far as i'm concerned. (and no Pub is worried about losing a single vote in Morgantucky County).

and don't count on 67 holding up under all that extra traffic till this is done.

how long before portions of that is down to 2 lane.

then the fun really begins.

and if i don't trust everything govt and big money say, good reason for that.

And while we’re at it, let’s keep the grandstands in the south end zone and make do with the crappy old golf course....

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT