ADVERTISEMENT

I-69 From Bloomington to Martinsville

I wonder how much this affects the potential casual fan from going to a football game. I know I dread it as a long trip dedicated fan. A 9+ month delay covering 2 more seasons is rediculous. And there is still the future "difficult" last leg to still go.

And still unfunded....BRILLIANT !!
Hopefully the "brilliant" former Gov. Daniels will do to Purdue what he did to the rest of the state. Remember when selling the northern tool road was to fund ALL of our projects. Besides the I-69 debacle, we have our own boondoggle in deep Southern Indiana. 40 years of tolls on bridges that we were told Indiana had the money to pay for.

Reactions: BigRedFootballEd
Hopefully the "brilliant" former Gov. Daniels will do to Purdue what he did to the rest of the state. Remember when selling the northern tool road was to fund ALL of our projects. Besides the I-69 debacle, we have our own boondoggle in deep Southern Indiana. 40 years of tolls on bridges that we were told Indiana had the money to pay for.
Which bridge?

Which bridge?
The idiots built two but I blame KY for at least part of that. An East End bridge that will finally connect I-265 in Indiana & KY. A new, and unneeded, bridge on I-65 right next to the existing Kennedy Bridge. The East End, the new 65 and the Kennedy(even though it's been paid off for years)will all be tolled. The only non toll bridge is the Sherman Minton(New Albany)on I-64 and the old Clark bridge that connects with 2nd street in downtown Louisville.

Reactions: BigRedFootballEd
I wonder how much this affects the potential casual fan from going to a football game. I know I dread it as a long trip dedicated fan. A 9+ month delay covering 2 more seasons is rediculous. And there is still the future "difficult" last leg to still go.

It doesn't really impact football since there would have still been work going on for the rest of the year even if they had the highway open as an interstate in October.

According to the article I read it is funded through bonds that have been downgraded. This was a project that was out sourced to a private company who was supposed to design, fund, and build. Great decision by the Gov. And Legislature. Republicans at their best v
Big Red.....I may be wrong but I believe that bond problem is the road thru Bloomington. It was only a couple of weeks ago that these rocket scientists made the final decision to take I-69 thru Martinsville to the south side of Indy. There was talk that once they got to the south side of Martinsville that they would actually go west and continue 69 thru Mooresville and then up to Indy. Either way Major Moves = Major Issues. Really hard to fathom all of this quite honestly. I-69 from Martinsville to Indy will be constructed but it has zero funds allocated for it. The whole thing is so ill conceived.......but welcome to 'Murica y'all.

The idiots built two but I blame KY for at least part of that. An East End bridge that will finally connect I-265 in Indiana & KY. A new, and unneeded, bridge on I-65 right next to the existing Kennedy Bridge. The East End, the new 65 and the Kennedy(even though it's been paid off for years)will all be tolled. The only non toll bridge is the Sherman Minton(New Albany)on I-64 and the old Clark bridge that connects with 2nd street in downtown Louisville.
Thanks. Had forgotten about the East end bridge. That is the one that is needed. I65 into downtown Lou is going to be a mess. Then the S-M continues to deteriorate.

Reactions: Iamhoosier
I65 into downtown Lou is going to be a mess.

Nah...it will be much better. When they don't have things closed or shuffled around because of ongoing construction (which, admittedly, is most of the time right now) it already is better. Coming from downtown Lou over the 2nd street (Clark Memorial) bridge is fantastic now. If you aren't getting off in Jeff you don't even have to stop...it dumps you right out to 65N. And the exit and entrance ramps to/from 65/64/71 are all far better than the mess they used to be.

Not arguing the toll issue...I won't take any of those bridges once the tolls start. But, it will absolutely be better than it used to be.

Reactions: Big Red Believer
Nah...it will be much better. When they don't have things closed or shuffled around because of ongoing construction (which, admittedly, is most of the time right now) it already is better. Coming from downtown Lou over the 2nd street (Clark Memorial) bridge is fantastic now. If you aren't getting off in Jeff you don't even have to stop...it dumps you right out to 65N. And the exit and entrance ramps to/from 65/64/71 are all far better than the mess they used to be.

Not arguing the toll issue...I won't take any of those bridges once the tolls start. But, it will absolutely be better than it used to be.
No doubt better, but I would hope so for the amount of money that was spent. If they would have just built the East End bridge, would have had 95% of the same benefit for half the cost.

No doubt better, but I would hope so for the amount of money that was spent. If they would have just built the East End bridge, would have had 95% of the same benefit for half the cost.

I'm prolly gonna disagree.

The traffic on I-65 North/South alone justifies a new N/S bridge in downtown Jeff/Louisville.
The addition/subtraction from 64/71 traffic is negligible.
Nobody drives from the Cincy area to Louisville to use North 65.
Nobody drives much from the east on 64 to hit I-65 and go either way.
The Chicago/Florida and Chicago/Nashville/Bama/Panhandle is overwhelming already.

If they never built an east end bridge (which is what the rich East End Louisville folks wanted), they would still need a new one downtown.

The traffic on I-65 North/South alone justifies a new N/S bridge in downtown Jeff/Louisville.
The Chicago/Florida and Chicago/Nashville/Bama/Panhandle is overwhelming already.

If they never built an east end bridge (which is what the rich East End Louisville folks wanted), they would still need a new one downtown.
On the other hand, there is considerable traffic south on 65 in Indiana that is either going to the east side of Louisville or points farther east. That's where the southbound bottleneck has always been on the bridge. As for northbound and southbound "through" traffic on 65, how is having 6 lanes going into just 3 lanes in Louisville going to solve anything? You're just pushing the bottleneck south.

Was going to write more but realize that most on here don't care. Be glad to continue if you wish by email. This screen name and gmail.com

Aren't you a rich East Ender?

I agree with you on above. The east end bridge will alleviate a lot of the truck traffic through downtown too. A lot of $$ spent tunneling beneath the rich people's homes for that bridge entry.

Lived on the East Side for awhile. On Breckenridge Ln off of Bardstown Rd. Used I-65 to go North to Indy all the time. Use I64 to get there usually. Sometimes I-71. Now when we go to shop at the Malls I take the same routes back. Granted, I normally use the Sherman- Minton to come into town, but it is disingenuous to say no one goes North on I-65 using I-64 or I-71.

I live in Bloomington, and anybody coming down here for a sporting event should take 67 South to Spencer. Turn left (East) on East Morgan St., that is State Road 46 which takes you straight to the IU campus. It is probably 10 minutes longer than 37 when there is no constructuion, but now it is a "no brainer".

Last edited:
Yep, Spring game night was a mess. Arrived in Martinsville from 67 at 5:30. Three lanes merging into one on the south side of town, with police pulling folks over in the one lane available in the construction. Arrived at stadium around 7:00.

Yep, Spring game night was a mess. Arrived in Martinsville from 67 at 5:30. Three lanes merging into one on the south side of town, with police pulling folks over in the one lane available in the construction. Arrived at stadium around 7:00.
If the authorities would keep the traffic in a single lane before
heading into Martinsville and install a traffic light at the junction of
37/67 I believe the traffic jam situation would improve dramatically.

If you read my post closely, you go to Spencer, which is South of Martintucky. By going to Spencer you completely bypass 37. Trust me you will thank me later.

If the authorities would keep the traffic in a single lane before
heading into Martinsville and install a traffic light at the junction of
37/67 I believe the traffic jam situation would improve dramatically.
The problem with that is that all the local Martinsville tragic would make the single line even longer. Where do In 37 and 67 intersect? That does not happen. If you are referring to IN 37 and 39, that intersection is ramps and a bridge. No place to put a light.

If IU continues to win, then I think fans will "suffer a little in traffic/construction" to make games. But I-69 has been a nightmare and will continue to be for a LONG time. Just think of those that will endure the hell from Indy to btown while they "try to complete 69". Thankfully living to the west, I just take 231 to 46 in. I can be to the west side of Btown in less than an hour, but then the fun begins.

If IU continues to win, then I think fans will "suffer a little in traffic/construction" to make games. But I-69 has been a nightmare and will continue to be for a LONG time. Just think of those that will endure the hell from Indy to btown while they "try to complete 69". Thankfully living to the west, I just take 231 to 46 in. I can be to the west side of Btown in less than an hour, but then the fun begins.

Section 5's going to be done before the 2017 season. The rest hasn't been funded/approved by the needed agencies, etc.

It will probably be 2019 or 2020 before they start work on Section 6.

In the long-term it's a great thing for IU football as it will reduce the travel time for folks to get to a game.

I live in Bloomington, and anybody coming down here for a sporting event should take 67 South to Spencer. Turn left (West) on East Morgan St., that is State Road 46 which takes you straight to the IU campus. It is probably 10 minutes longer than 37 when there is no constructuion, but now it is a "no brainer".
Don't you mean East? vbg

Have been in Bloomington the past two weekends. Don't see any construction going on South of I-45 to I-69. Love the drive to the US-231 exit, tough. Just noticed why one of the reasons that make it so beautiful NO billboards!! Know that it will change at some point, but certainly enjoying the view. Reminded me of an initiative from Lady Bird Johnson.

Just noticed why one of the reasons that make it so beautiful NO billboards!! Know that it will change at some point, but certainly enjoying the view.
I'm guessing that will remain the case in Monroe Co., but you'll sure know when you hit the Greene Co. line.

I'm coming for the Nebraska game this year. My first trip home to Bloomington in 33 years. Thursday night we're staying in M-ville and in B-town Fri/Sat. What will be the quickest route to B-ton from M-ville?

I'm coming for the Nebraska game this year. My first trip home to Bloomington in 33 years. Thursday night we're staying in M-ville and in B-town Fri/Sat. What will be the quickest route to B-ton from M-ville?
That's a long time away, so who knows what it will be like then. Today, if you were coming down on Friday and didn't get in the AM or PM commute drive time I'd say go ahead and use #37 south. Sure, there will be some slow traffic, but what is ten minutes in the big scheme of things?

Until I-69 is connected to I-465, I still say the "quickest" trips are using I-70 to 231 to 46, or I-65 to 46.

Heading south from Indy, I quit taking I-65 and opted for US 31 South instead. Take 31S to 46W near the Edinburgh/Taylorsville exits and take the scenic, hilly, curvy 46 to Nashville in Brown County. SR135 meets 46 in Nashville, turn left at the light and continue west on 46 to B'town. On a sunny day, this is a great and relaxing drive and isn't that much longer time-wise than taking 37 south from Indy. One important caveat on taking 46 ... just before reaching Nashville there is a HUGE flea market every Saturday morning that brings traffic to a crawl. As long as you avoid the 8-9 am window you should be ok.

I agree with you on above. The east end bridge will alleviate a lot of the truck traffic through downtown too. A lot of $$ spent tunneling beneath the rich people's homes for that bridge entry.
Wasn't just tunneling .... Imminent domain was used....

The best one was the folks who lived in Bridge Pointe subdivision, who argued they never understood there might be a bridge built out there, where the interstate just ends on both sides of the river.

SR 37 will still be your best option

SR 37 will still be your best option

Yes - that is correct.

At the southern part of Martinsville on SR 37 is the overpass that goes over the exit to SR 39. That overpass is a mess on game days ( goes from 2 lanes to 1). Expected wait times are 30-40 mins. An alternate route there is to take Burton Lane east that will then run south parallel to SR 37. Follow that for 3-4 miles and then cut over and head back west on Liberty Church Road. It intersects with SR 37. Cross the northbound lane of SR 37 and wait in the median. Pull out onto SR 37 southbound. Works every time.

You can even go a bit south of Liberty Church Road and hit another road (forget name) and take it over to SR 37. It's even a bit easier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT