ADVERTISEMENT

Huskies and Ducks too?

2019 latest year I could find recruiting for BB $3.5m FB $895,000. The disparity is disgusting and it needs to change for IUFB to move up its recruiting nationwide.
A sizable portion of the disparity is due to the liberal use of private aircraft by the basketball program. Football coaches are far more likely to fly commercially and then rent cars. Hoops, n’t so much.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I will guarantee you Jerry Jones shares everything the NFL revenue sharing agreement REQUIRES that he share.... The NFL runs a very, very tight audit of all things that fall under the agreement.

Sure, the Cowboys generate more total revenue than any other NFL team but every team is allowed to keep all money generated through their own corporate sponsorships, 60% of ticket sales, concessions & parking, etc. It has been this way since the late-1950's when then Commissioner Bert Bell originated it and then Pete Rozelle expanded it.

Yea, Jerry Jones barks about being the big dog but he's one against 31 other owners and they're not going to allow that to change.... It's known that he has been accused of trying to "fix his Books" to avoid paying but he has been pretty much slapped down by the league and they've had a fixed eye on him ever since
Ask Schneider

Reactions: jsenleo
So, it is fine to say you belch out MSNBC talking points. This name calling doesn't advance the conversation. Yes, I am libertarian that leans to not pushing radical left positions.

He was the one belching out politically motivated insults. Address both sides the post insults and I will actually believe you to be Switzerland

There are 32 NFL teams who operate as one unit. College sports is much different. You’re suggesting that some schools should pay the way for others. That’s not going to be acceptable for some of them.
But for most them it will be acceptable, like in the NFL. There won't be consensus to give some members a bigger cut than others. The simple response would be no, if you want a better deal go elsewhere and the OSU UM and PSU presidents would be embarrassed and humiliated to hear that. They will not go out on a limb for athletics. You're just not viewing this through the right lens. In the end the presidents want collegiality and consensus. Just to get to their jobs they had to be master politicians, they won't choose to die on the hill of intercollegiate athletics and the marginally more money for the intercollegiate athletics program, particularly when these schools are extremely well funded compared to other schools in the conference now.

This is all about scale and leverage and the ability of one party to use it against others. Conference consolidation is only the beginning. Schools who bring in more will tire of subsidizing those who bring in less. Ask some of the PAC12 schools if they’re feeling a bit concerned right now. Or some of the B12. At some point, every school with leverage will use it for their best interests. And that’s before the players try to get a piece of the pie. Wait until they attempt to use their leverage to do that.
There is SEC money and then there is B1G money. and beyond that the alternatives end. None could cut even and ND tv contract on their own. They know that. And again, the university presidents don't have this that high on their list. The downsides to pursuing what you keep saying WILL happen far outweigh the potential benefits. You keep talking like univerity athletics operate as a standalone, they do not. The ADs report to the university president/chancellor or provost. Lots of academics despise intercollegiate athletics. The athletics tail is very, very far from wagging the university dog.

With TV revenue, which is what we're talking about here, he does. And he does so because no other owner will let him do otherwise. The majority of the university presidents will feel the same way.
This has been the case since day one. Mich and Ahia don’t keep more on the FB side and IU doesn’t keep more on the BB side.

There is SEC money and then there is B1G money. and beyond that the alternatives end. None could cut even and ND tv contract on their own. They know that. And again, the university presidents don't have this that high on their list. The downsides to pursuing what you keep saying WILL happen far outweigh the potential benefits. You keep talking like univerity athletics operate as a standalone, they do not. The ADs report to the university president/chancellor or provost. Lots of academics despise intercollegiate athletics. The athletics tail is very, very far from wagging the university dog.
Athletic Departments in the BIG have less leverage internally than they do in the SEC simply because of the relative importance of academics.

But for most them it will be acceptable, like in the NFL. There won't be consensus to give some members a bigger cut than others. The simple response would be no, if you want a better deal go elsewhere and the OSU UM and PSU presidents would be embarrassed and humiliated to hear that. They will not go out on a limb for athletics. You're just not viewing this through the right lens. In the end the presidents want collegiality and consensus. Just to get to their jobs they had to be master politicians, they won't choose to die on the hill of intercollegiate athletics and the marginally more money for the intercollegiate athletics program, particularly when these schools are extremely well funded compared to other schools in the conference now.
Do you think the USC and UCLA Presidents are viewed as collegial consensus builders by the other PAC12 Presidents? They just went elsewhere to get a better deal, something you claimed Presidents wouldn’t do. You’re trying to argue that this is the end of the evolutionary process, and I disagree. OSU, PSU and UM going to the other BiG Presidents to say they should get more since they generate more is precisely what the Presidents who are joining now have said to their colleagues. Not sure how you would deny the possibility that this will continue.

Alternatives end? No one believed what has occurred over the last few days was remotely possible, yet it happened. Alternatives never end. Just wait until the athletes want a piece of the pie.

You guys need to get out of Bloomington once in a while to see how big universities operate. If IU is to survive in the new conference, it cannot continue to act like amateur hour with respect to its sports. You fire an offensive coordinator and make the head coach take the pay cut to buy him out? The recruiting budget for men’s basketball is more than football? What kinds of P5 school operates like that? None in this conference.
You are seriously silly.

Purposely.

Arizona is the Tucson market... Arizona State is the Phoenix market...

Don't think we need either but if you take one you probably need to take both (they're connected as rivals like we are with p u)...
You don't think there are any Arizona fans in Phoenix?

We also already have Philly covered with Penn State. But, Cal and Stanford are great schools in a big market. I think we should take them, Pitt, and either Washington or Oregon,,and then take the other when Notre Dame pulls its head out of its ass and realizes the ACC is doomed.

You don't think there are any Arizona fans in Phoenix?

We also already have Philly covered with Penn State. But, Cal and Stanford are great schools in a big market. I think we should take them, Pitt, and either Washington or Oregon,,and then take the other when Notre Dame pulls its head out of its ass and realizes the ACC is doomed.
Sure but the Big 10... ahh, errr, 16..., or whatever the h... it's going to be..., most likely doesn't want either AZ or AzSt...

AZ just got caught doing a really poor job of cheating (in that A] they got caught, and B] they ended up losing a lot more than they gained by doing it)... and Az St isn't any good...

If they're looking at those two they may as well go for U Conn and U Mass first..., since they're in bigger markets and would wrap up the NE with a bow on it...

I don't see any one of those four teams getting an invite though...

Then again, I Never would have thought that UCLA and USC would even consider joining the Big Ten so whata I know...

You are seriously silly.

businessman-with-head-stuck-in-sand-at-the-beach-picture-id92655990

Add Oregon and Washington to have a 5 team pod with USC, UCLA, and Nebraska.

Add North Carolina and Virginia to have a 5 team pod with Penn State, Maryland, and Rutgers.

Then split up the original Big Ten into two five team pods.... Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Ohio State, and Michigan...Northwestern, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin

Play your pod every season and then rotate through the other pods every three years.

Then play the B1G championship game as the Rose Bowl with a playoff spot on the line. Play it Christmas Eve.

Reactions: UncleMark
If we end up getting around $100 million a year with the next TV contract, we are going to be able to do things that teams in the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 (what remain of the latter 2) will not be able to do.

We need to bump up coach pay for football and get a facility upgrade that is the football equivalent of what we did for the basketball team with Cook Hall. Those should be the first items addressed with the windfall.
Cook Hall needs to be renovated or replaced before IU does any more for football.

Cook Hall needs to be renovated or replaced before IU does any more for football.
Cook Hall was built just about a decade ago. No reason to renovate it. If anything, ask for some money back from the architects. The thing is hideous. It was supposed to propel IU basketball to national prominence.
Eh….not so much.
They should have invested in athletic housing and smarter coaching hires. But, IU gonna do what IU does best.

Cook Hall was built just about a decade ago. No reason to renovate it. If anything, ask for some money back from the architects. The thing is hideous. It was supposed to propel IU basketball to national prominence.
Eh….not so much.
They should have invested in athletic housing and smarter coaching hires. But, IU gonna do what IU does best.
Cook was designed to compliment TAH architecturally and it does that well using buttresses. The facility was state of the art at the time and still is among the best given the recent touch ups. Perhaps consult those that have actually been inside before taking cheap shots.

You guys need to get out of Bloomington once in a while to see how big universities operate. If IU is to survive in the new conference, it cannot continue to act like amateur hour with respect to its sports. You fire an offensive coordinator and make the head coach take the pay cut to buy him out? The recruiting budget for men’s basketball is more than football? What kinds of P5 school operates like that? None in this conference.
Kansas maybe? Or Duke? Those would be the only ones I could think of (even UK, as an SEC member, would presumably spend even more on FB recruiting than BB but not sure on that one)

I guess maybe 'Nova, given the prestige of its BB program and the fact that its FB program is FCS level.

Think pretty much everyone else allocates the greatest amount of expenditures towards their greatest potential sources of revenue--as anyone who's gone through the Kelley School might expect.

Kansas maybe? Or Duke? Those would be the only ones I could think of (even UK, as an SEC member, would presumably spend even more on FB recruiting than BB but not sure on that one)

I guess maybe 'Nova, given the prestige of its BB program and the fact that its FB program is FCS level.

Think pretty much everyone else allocates the greatest amount of expenditures towards their greatest potential sources of revenue--as anyone who's gone through the Kelley School might expect.
IU accommodated and accepted what we have a long, long time ago. And it has the support of most fans.

IU accommodated and accepted what we have a long, long time ago. And it has the support of most fans.
As long as the B1G 10/16/24/whatever Network $$$$ keeps flowing in, I'm sure many in the IU Admin are more than comfortable with a chronically underfunded and underachieving football program.

I've preached to this board for years about the football versus basketball situation. Football not only floats the boat, it propels the boat.

Indiana's hang-up with bball has certainly made it a small player in the grand scheme of the BIG conference. Football butters the bread and it's a cash cow.

We will find out sooner than later if Scott Dolson is a competent football AD. I certainly have my concerns with Dolson.
Everybody knows that, even those living in denial. There is
hope according to list of most watched games.
Most watched, IU made the list

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT