ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley to LA?

So anyways if this happens UConn has a tough time getting a coach and players like Liam will have limited options if they want to go (given rosters are pretty full and NIL is mostly spent). We’ll see if he takes the job.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
So anyways if this happens UConn has a tough time getting a coach and players like Liam will have limited options if they want to go (given rosters are pretty full and NIL is mostly spent). We’ll see if he takes the job.
We've got an open scholly left? Just sayin. Ha ha...side eye...hmmm...

It will be interesting to see if Hurley takes the job. No numbers mentioned, but supposedly a “lot” of money.
Lots of questions…Does Hurley want a new challenge? Does he want to deal with NBA egos? Load management? Dealing with LeBron? AD?

Top of our hot board in 2027.
Man...I'm honestly not sure I could stomach his sideline antics. I know hanging a banner probably changes the calculus quite a bit...but he's waaaayyyyy too over the top on the sidelines for me.

Also...with regards to the Lakers...I thought his wife's input weighed VERY heavily on any career decisions he was making? Seemed that she was referenced by some when he was turning down the Kentucky job.

One would need to make quite a lot of money to fully enjoy living in LA. But assuming the money allows for that, LA is obviously pretty attractive to a lot of people. Without looking it up, wonder where she's from, and/or what her thoughts are on it?...

Man...I'm honestly not sure I could stomach his sideline antics. I know hanging a banner probably changes the calculus quite a bit...but he's waaaayyyyy too over the top on the sidelines for me.

Also...with regards to the Lakers...I thought his wife's input weighed VERY heavily on any career decisions he was making? Seemed that she was referenced by some when he was turning down the Kentucky job.

One would need to make quite a lot of money to fully enjoy living in LA. But assuming the money allows for that, LA is obviously pretty attractive to a lot of people. Without looking it up, wonder where she's from, and/or what her thoughts are on it?...
Seems like he will get plenty of NBA oppys and a franchise with a solid young core + strong financial position (revenue and cap space) is a better way to start your NBA career vs the Lakers, who are kind of a mess right now.

His wife is from NJ IIRC.

Seems like he will get plenty of NBA oppys and a franchise with a solid young core + strong financial position (revenue and cap space) is a better way to start your NBA career vs the Lakers, who are kind of a mess right now.

His wife is from NJ IIRC.
Yeah...Heck...if Dallas were to mop the floor with the Celtics over the next week or so...he could get an opportunity right up the road from him. And that would be A LOT better overall situation than the Lakers...though with possibly more immediate pressure and expectations.

But Nets, 76ers, Wizards... one of those jobs would be available to him if he had serious NBA aspirations right now.

Hurley should go and take the money. He’s been the best coach and UConn has been the best team by far. College basketball is a mess with NIL. In the NBA, players are at least under contract and can’t transfer every year etc.

I’d tell Jeannie Buss I want to be paid more than LeFlop and that there’s zero chance in hell we’re drafting his kid. That should go over well.

Not many college guys do well in the NBA. Interesting hire if he does go there.
Calipari, Pitino and Donovan all were average to below average in NBA
My thought is Hurley is too intense for the NBA. 82 game seasons plus post season would be pretty rough for him. The college game where guys come and go and there are less games would be a lot better for Hurley.

Another NC banner? Antics, what antics? C'mon, we had RMK for goodness sake. I know his "antics" were never as frequent as portrayed, but when they happened, it was a doozy!

It will be interesting to see if Hurley takes the job. No numbers mentioned, but supposedly a “lot” of money.
Lots of questions…Does Hurley want a new challenge? Does he want to deal with NBA egos? Load management? Dealing with LeBron? AD?

I'd be surprised if this happens. Not shocked, but surprised.

Hurley strikes me as somebody who would want to stay at UConn and build a dynasty. He's not Billy Donovan.

That said, he probably will and should use the interest to get even more money out of UConn.

I do think Hurley is thinking long term here and the longer UConn goes without being admitted to a major conference the tougher it's going to be to survive in the current climate. LeBron has one maybe two years left in LA max and Anthony Davis has a player option for the 27-28 season which means he's tradeable the season after next. LA is not afraid to spend money in free agency and will simply assemble a mega team when the time comes.

And Knight was smart enough to not go that route.
Right now I am watching Charles Barkley being interviewed by Dan Dakich on Dan's Outkick show. Charles made the point that with NIL and the transfer portal this might cause Hurley to just go to the NBA because of all the things these changes have done to college sports. He said that this is why we lost Nick Saban and Jay Wright because they didn't want to deal with it. I thought this was a great point.

Right now I am watching Charles Barkley being interviewed by Dan Dakich on Dan's Outkick show. Charles made the point that with NIL and the transfer portal this might cause Hurley to just go to the NBA because of all the things these changes have done to college sports. He said that this is why we lost Nick Saban and Jay Wright because they didn't want to deal with it. I thought this was a great point.

Hurley has had all his success in recent years, in the new professional college environment. And it helped him rebuild quickly. I'm not sure this is the issue for him.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Agree. Knight, and others, likely would not have have wanted to coach in this pay to play era.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
Laker job isn't as coveted as they'd like everyone to think it is. This is further evidence of that. If the Celtics happen to blow this Finals series...I'd bet a lot of money that Hurley will be the next coach when they let Muzzula go.

Pretty appalling offer by the Lakers if you ask me. That's less per year than what UK offered him a short while back. Guessing Buss/Pelinka weren't going to give him any kind of team control and coupled with the fact that the Lakers have some awful contracts tied up with no draft capital + assets makes the Lakers job pretty unattractive.

Kinda cool, guy doesn’t just jump at any big $ offer.
Oh, he was just using the Lakers job as leverage. Either for more money out of UConn or simply to allow his name to be put into bright lights while NBA players rave about coach for a few days.....that type of notoriety helps with recruiting and costs him nothing. He and UConn have stated they're in talks on a new contract and I bet the $ figure has been agreed upon which allowed him to make a decision before his new contract is truly finalized.

Oh, he was just using the Lakers job as leverage. Either for more money out of UConn or simply to allow his name to be put into bright lights while NBA players rave about coach for a few days.....that type of notoriety helps with recruiting and costs him nothing. He and UConn have stated they're in talks on a new contract and I bet the $ figure has been agreed upon which allowed him to make a decision before his new contract is truly finalized.
Oh I agree the UK and LA job helped, and he is getting a big raise. Though I think the will be around $4M/yr short of those offers. TBD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT