ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley to LA?

Oh, he was just using the Lakers job as leverage. Either for more money out of UConn or simply to allow his name to be put into bright lights while NBA players rave about coach for a few days.....that type of notoriety helps with recruiting and costs him nothing. He and UConn have stated they're in talks on a new contract and I bet the $ figure has been agreed upon which allowed him to make a decision before his new contract is truly finalized.
Maybe. I said the same thing above (when I predicted he’d stay put).

But there’s no indication right now that he demanded more money from UConn. However, we may come to find out that he did.

Does UCONN really have poor fan support? Was talking to a guy this weekend who is level headed except when it comes to PU sports. He was at the FF and said it was all PU fan since UCONN has no following. I thought that was hard to believe given how many times they've won it recently. Keep in mind this is the kind of PU fan that knows more about what is going on with IU's team than most IU fans (living in the 80's, had to buy the team this season, etc)

They don’t seem to have a big fanbase. We outdrew them by quite a bit in NYC and their national title celebration was pretty small. No idea why — college sports in the northeast just isn’t a big thing?

Does UCONN really have poor fan support? Was talking to a guy this weekend who is level headed except when it comes to PU sports. He was at the FF and said it was all PU fan since UCONN has no following. I thought that was hard to believe given how many times they've won it recently. Keep in mind this is the kind of PU fan that knows more about what is going on with IU's team than most IU fans (living in the 80's, had to buy the team this season, etc)
They have a lot of Subway NYC fans who will show out when they play at the Garden, especially when they are good. I'm in a fantasy football league/daily text chain with 4 or 5 of them who are all from CT originally but went to Ivy League or equivalent schools. Didn't know they were UConn fans until two years ago and they still haven't shut up. And this league is approaching a decade.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
They don’t seem to have a big fanbase. We outdrew them by quite a bit in NYC and their national title celebration was pretty small. No idea why — college sports in the northeast just isn’t a big thing?
They care much more about pro sports in the East Coast. Plus Connecticut is a small state to begin with.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Hurley is no fool. He's got a pretty good thing going at UConn and there's no way in hell he's dumb enough to attempt to coach LeFraud. That dude was a coach killer when he was still a decent player. Now he walks up and down the court until he gets the ball then calls and conducts his own timeouts when he's pissed at a teammate or simply tired. Nevermind the fact he's completely handcuffed the organization by trading off all draft capital desperately trying for a ring. And if you don't think he's hell-bent on getting his son on the team, you're not paying enough attention.

Would love to find out if it was a ploy to get more money at UCONN (which is in the works) or if LA was going to keep Lebron. LA or where Lebron goes is not a coveted job except for a newbie coach. No coach wants to be told what to do by a player, have clipboard taken away in a timeout by a player, be the fall guy when Lebron gets swept again. Otherwise over $10M a year is stupid money to walk away from.

Would love to find out if it was a ploy to get more money at UCONN (which is in the works) or if LA was going to keep Lebron. LA or where Lebron goes is not a coveted job except for a newbie coach. No coach wants to be told what to do by a player, have clipboard taken away in a timeout by a player, be the fall guy when Lebron gets swept again. Otherwise over $10M a year is stupid money to walk away from.
I think he wants to coach in the NBA but he's not leaving the northeast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT