ADVERTISEMENT

Hummingbirders?

Here is a link to the most recent Indiana DNR release I could find, apparently reducing the number of Indiana counties covered by their warnings to remove birdfeeders:

Yeah, we're still not supposed to be putting feeders up. Got tired of seeing all of them coming back to where it was this spring as they were headed north, so we put it back up.

Amazing little birds.

Reactions: kkott
Yeah, we're still not supposed to be putting feeders up. Got tired of seeing all of them coming back to where it was this spring as they were headed north, so we put it back up.

Amazing little birds.
Read that press release I linked -- it says how to sterilize and clean hummingbird feeders with bleach.

Have you had any fountain visitors?

We put a single feeder back up 2 weeks ago and it's been busy with 4 or 5 at a time during some stretches.
No hummers have visited it yet that I've seen, although during the week, I'm not there in the hot part of the day. Still, if they were using it, I think I'd see them. Really need a game cam to verify, but I'm not that industrious. I've had a couple other birds get in it, like mockingbirds and doves, but not the activity I'd hoped for.

Anyone else a hummingbird enthusiast? I've generally always put a feeder up, but last fall I visited a pottery studio near Seagrove NC and they had about a dozen feeders and lots of hummingbird friendly plants and they had hundreds of hummers buzzing about. It was mesmerizing, as they'd be shooting by just inches from your face. I also found this live link below, and so I've added a couple more feeders and enlisted several of my neighbors to put them out too to see how many we can attract. Mine here in Rock Hill SC started hitting my feeders this weekend and I'm getting regular visitors now every few minutes. Probably a little early for farther north and I know out west they get lots more and various species. If you'd like to try I'm happy to share any info I can on feeders, nectar, etc...

I live in the hill country near New Braunfels, Texas. Humming Birds are a common sight. Based on size, I think there about 3-4 different species here. They vary quite a bit in size. They get here in early summer and stay until late September. Very interesting little birds. Territorial and aggressive to any other humming bird that come into their territory. I'm fairly certain that I have seen: Blacked Chinned, Ruby throated, and Rufous humming birds. However, there are many of them and I can't be certain of all the species.

My favorite sounds like a little electric motor. When you are working outside, they will come up behind you to check you out. Always startles me. Very loud. One nearly made me fall off a ladder. I also think it is the most aggressive of the humming birds.

The Hill Country is a great area for a large variety of birds. My wife particular likes the Cara Cara. She has seen several carrying off snakes.

I live in the hill country near New Braunfels, Texas. Humming Birds are a common sight. Based on size, I think there about 3-4 different species here. They vary quite a bit in size. They get here in early summer and stay until late September. Very interesting little birds. Territorial and aggressive to any other humming bird that come into their territory. I'm fairly certain that I have seen: Blacked Chinned, Ruby throated, and Rufous humming birds. However, there are many of them and I can't be certain of all the species.

My favorite sounds like a little electric motor. When you are working outside, they will come up behind you to check you out. Always startles me. Very loud. One nearly made me fall off a ladder. I also think it is the most aggressive of the humming birds.

The Hill Country is a great area for a large variety of birds. My wife particular likes the Cara Cara. She has seen several carrying off snakes.
Yeah, I'm guessing you're seeing both the western (annas, rufous, etc... basically everything except ruby throats) and eastern hummers coming to/from Mexico and then they migrate different directions. Supposedly in the east we only get Ruby throats with a few stragglers of other types. I've only seen rubies, although there was 1 at my feeder that looked very different (almost all black) but I didn't research it to see if it was something else or just a ruby variation.

And, the noise from their wings will startle you unless you're ready for it. They are very curious and are forever watching and investigating. Fun to see all their different behaviors.

Last edited:

You live in a beautiful part of the world. I have a buddy that used to live down there and I got to spend some time on the Guad, Llano and Blanco rivers camping, chasing fish and shooting doves. I even managed to find a few arrowheads on some of those trips.

Seeing my last stragglers of the season. Had several visit this morning and used a little zoom lens I bought online for my iphone to get some close up shots. The lens does well to bring them in, but it washes out the color a bit and it's hard to get the focus to get the definition of the bird when you're zoomed in.

If anyone can remind me how to post pics of my own, on here, I can share a couple I took. Still, pretty good shots. I really love to see the late season birds... always wonder when the one I'm seeing will be the last for the year and have been thinking I might've seen my last one for over a week now. I've got some shit going on in my personal life right now and it's felt like a bit of sunshine each time I've seen one.

Seeing my last stragglers of the season. Had several visit this morning and used a little zoom lens I bought online for my iphone to get some close up shots. The lens does well to bring them in, but it washes out the color a bit and it's hard to get the focus to get the definition of the bird when you're zoomed in.

If anyone can remind me how to post pics of my own, on here, I can share a couple I took. Still, pretty good shots. I really love to see the late season birds... always wonder when the one I'm seeing will be the last for the year and have been thinking I might've seen my last one for over a week now. I've got some shit going on in my personal life right now and it's felt like a bit of sunshine each time I've seen one.
Hope things get better

Get proactive - hookers and blow!

To get focus on the birds, focus on the feeder ahead of time.

To avoid washed-out colors, shoot at early morning or late afternoon or on cloudy/overcast days, basically anything but direct sunlight. Avoid shooting into the sun or when sun is shining directly on the feeder.

To get focus on the birds, focus on the feeder ahead of time.

To avoid washed-out colors, shoot at early morning or late afternoon or on cloudy/overcast days, basically anything but direct sunlight. Avoid shooting into the sun or when sun is shining directly on the feeder.
I do get it focused on the feeder, and try and avoid shooting towards light. All pictures seem washed out, so I suspect it has to do with being a $35 lens! I'm still happy with pics. I would just like a little more resolution on the birds, and their features. Their feet and beaks are so fine, it's hard to see detail without perfect focus and again, may not be possible with this lens.

Took our feeder down last evening. Haven't seen a hummingbird in over 3 weeks now.

• Sad
Hope things get better

Get proactive - hookers and blow!
Man, I somehow made it to 56 without readlly having my heartbroken... can't say that about 57 now. Great woman, one I had begun to feel could/would be a life partner, and wham. The sad part is, there doesn't feel like there's anything really wrong, just bad timing. We get along awesomely, have never argued in over a year or even gotten mad with one another, but she lives in Raleigh 3 hours away and has HS age kids... and she feel guilty spending her weekends with me, when she's got one that is struggling and at the 11th hour as far as getting stuff righted. Plus, we have such an awesome time on weekends, it makes the weeks longer and sadder and you can get depressed. I think if her kids were older, or parenting was going more smoothly, we might be together long haul. Been very sad for me and hard to get over, but basically only a month in and it's been a drawn out goodbye, but feels like that's where we are. Probably can confirm after tonight.

Anyway, if you have a happy marriage or partnership, love them and be thankful. Peace!

PS, SDH, if you were wondering what lit a fire under my ass for rowing, now you have your answer. Great positive distraction. Much better than alcohol, or other chit.

Man, I somehow made it to 56 without readlly having my heartbroken... can't say that about 57 now. Great woman, one I had begun to feel could/would be a life partner, and wham. The sad part is, there doesn't feel like there's anything really wrong, just bad timing. We get along awesomely, have never argued in over a year or even gotten mad with one another, but she lives in Raleigh 3 hours away and has HS age kids... and she feel guilty spending her weekends with me, when she's got one that is struggling and at the 11th hour as far as getting stuff righted. Plus, we have such an awesome time on weekends, it makes the weeks longer and sadder and you can get depressed. I think if her kids were older, or parenting was going more smoothly, we might be together long haul. Been very sad for me and hard to get over, but basically only a month in and it's been a drawn out goodbye, but feels like that's where we are. Probably can confirm after tonight.

Anyway, if you have a happy marriage or partnership, love them and be thankful. Peace!

PS, SDH, if you were wondering what lit a fire under my ass for rowing, now you have your answer. Great positive distraction. Much better than alcohol, or other chit.

Keep fishing!

fishing.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT