ADVERTISEMENT

How to live to be 100. My psa to the board enclosed herewith

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
having watched the new netflix series and chris hemsworth's limitless i will save you people hours.

1. have friends and keep up with them.
2. have a purpose. one of the blue zone countries didn't have a word for retire. they work into their 100s
3. eat veggies, fruits, beans, and nuts. and don't eat like a pig. when you are 80% full stop.
4. take the stairs not the elevator. move around. a lot. up and down. strengthen your core. every day lots of movement.
5. sleep. if you don't sleep well get a study done and start
6. limit stress. be positive and happy and don't hold grudges.
7. take ice cold showers.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
having watched the new netflix series and chris hemsworth's limitless i will save you people hours.

2. have a purpose. one of the blue zone countries didn't have a word for retire. they work into their 100s
3. eat veggies, fruits, beans, and nuts. and don't eat like a pig. when you are 80% full stop.
4. take the stairs not the elevator. move around. a lot. up and down. strengthen your core. every day lots of movement.

According to this list, I should have died when I was 12.

Dan Buettner - the Blue Zones guy - is pretty interesting.

And you're right when you said below that we sabotage our health in this country. So many additives and junk in our food - even our 'healthy' food. I follow Dan on instagram and he just did a video earlier today about all the crazy additives in most soy and almond milks.

All that said, I definitely don't want to work into my 100s. I don't want to work half way through my 60s. Shoot, I just turned 48 and I don't want to work anymore in my 40s. That's all assuming 'work' applies to what I'm currently doing. If I could be independently wealthy and write for free I do it. As much as I'd like to say I'd want to make a living writing, I don't know if that's in the cards or not.

Dan Buettner - the Blue Zones guy - is pretty interesting.

And you're right when you said below that we sabotage our health in this country. So many additives and junk in our food - even our 'healthy' food. I follow Dan on instagram and he just did a video earlier today about all the crazy additives in most soy and almond milks.

All that said, I definitely don't want to work into my 100s. I don't want to work half way through my 60s. Shoot, I just turned 48 and I don't want to work anymore in my 40s. That's all assuming 'work' applies to what I'm currently doing. If I could be independently wealthy and write for free I do it. As much as I'd like to say I'd want to make a living writing, I don't know if that's in the cards or not.
he was the guy who did the netflix show i referenced. i don't know that he/they necessarily meant a job with regard to working. but you have to have a purpose. i don't think hanging at starbucks and then traveling is it. writing certainly could be, but as you related that's a tough one to get. it was hard when it was just the old staid houses, and probably worse now to be found amidst the billions of self publishing opportunities. what's more: who reads? we have influencers instead. so maybe when you don't have bills anymore and the kids are gone you do an easy job that affords time to write, even if writing doesn't a living make. it's a purpose and keeps your mind functioning

Reactions: Indyhorn

You stupid SOB. It’s the pu$$y that is going to kill you. Likely soon.

but guess what. i think that is fixed. it doesn't seem like i'm going to be able to get any anymore. or at least not what i want. are you still going to the gym before work?

he was the guy who did the netflix show i referenced. i don't know that he/they necessarily meant a job with regard to working. but you have to have a purpose. i don't think hanging at starbucks and then traveling is it. writing certainly could be, but as you related that's a tough one to get. it was hard when it was just the old staid houses, and probably worse now to be found amidst the billions of self publishing opportunities. what's more: who reads? we have influencers instead. so maybe when you don't have bills anymore and the kids are gone you do an easy job that affords time to write, even if writing doesn't a living make. it's a purpose and keeps your mind functioning
I've thought about that.

I wouldn't mind recalibrating the job front where I'm not making as much as I do now, but still make a good living with less stress and time constraints.

Re: Buettner...I never met him, but I did meet his ex-girlfriend. Her ex-husband started a very popular cable network (at least it was popular in the 80s/90s) and she was a donor at the non-profit where I worked. She was/is drop dead gorgeous and just a kind, kind soul. There are very few people who make a presence when they walk in a room without even trying. She was one of those people.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I've thought about that.

I wouldn't mind recalibrating the job front where I'm not making as much as I do now, but still make a good living with less stress and time constraints.

Re: Buettner...I never met him, but I did meet his ex-girlfriend. Her ex-husband started a very popular cable network (at least it was popular in the 80s/90s) and she was a donor at the non-profit where I worked. She was/is drop dead gorgeous and just a kind, kind soul. There are very few people who make a presence when they walk in a room without even trying. She was one of those people.
wow super interesting!

so while getting gas i ducked in to get some nuts. all of them salted like a mfer. we sabotage ourselves in this country. there are poor countries where people never see a doctor that now have a longer lifespan than americans.

My crux.... sweet and spicy peanuts.

I knew they were gonna kill me one day.

For me it’s sugar and alcohol

We're having our kids baby shower in a couple weeks and the wife and her friends have decided on a "baby and brew" themed shower. They are getting a keg.

Of course my daughter and her boyfriend are on board.

I don't really drink anymore, but since I have to go, I feel like the only option for me to get through this thing is to get absolutely hammered and then crawl home. It's being held at my wife's parents, who live next door. I might just sleep in the grass... we'll see how this goes.

I've already bought enough Gatorade for the following morning to last a whole month.

We're having our kids baby shower in a couple weeks and the wife and her friends have decided on a "baby and brew" themed shower. They are getting a keg.

Of course my daughter and her boyfriend are on board.

I don't really drink anymore, but since I have to go, I feel like the only option for me to get through this thing is to get absolutely hammered and then crawl home. It's being held at my wife's parents, who live next door. I might just sleep in the grass... we'll see how this goes.

I've already bought enough Gatorade for the following morning to last a whole month.
"They" are trying to steal your man card! Watch out! Gender reveals are next.

Edit to correct sp. error.

Last edited:
The purpose part is the most important. Having seen my father lose his when my mom died, it's brutal. And then COVID and he just withdrew.

I'll probably just by a windowless van and hand out candy.

it doesn't seem like i'm going to be able to get any anymore. or at least not what i want.

Cougar-ready-to-pounce.jpg

The purpose part is the most important. Having seen my father lose his when my mom died, it's brutal. And then COVID and he just withdrew.

I'll probably just by a windowless van and hand out candy.

Cougar-ready-to-pounce.jpg
now that danc can't interfere tell me again the age bracket for a cougar.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
now that danc can't interfere tell me again the age bracket for a cougar.
Over 45 wtih no kids in the house. You'll be fine. Actually, you'll be better than fine. Like when you get glasses for the first time and say "I shoulda done that 5 years ago" fine.

Over 45 wtih no kids in the house. You'll be fine. Actually, you'll be better than fine. Like when you get glasses for the first time and say "I shoulda done that 5 years ago" fine.
hmmmm. i don't know. i probably should have just stuck with the one i had in school. low expectations. super, super sweet. big boobs. cortez will tell ya. but that combo of weakness, horniness, and self destruction left me w/ no chance really. maybe i should try and get her now. only have to beat out one guy, her hubby, vs these single ones with the entire market chasing them. but that's probably more bad karma. homewrecker. don't need that.

I was with you until number 7. Not happening.

Even better when you alternate between hot and cold (in the same shower session). It's not as bad as it sounds.
Yes yes. but you did triathalons which reveals your sadist ways.

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle

I saw an old friend last week I hadn't seen in a while. He is 92. He played softball until 88. He was playing basketball into his 70s. He is thinking about pickleball.

We asked if he thought his active life was the answer, he said genetics. His older brother is 100, the baby brother is 90.

• Wow
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I saw an old friend last week I hadn't seen in a while. He is 92. He played softball until 88. He was playing basketball into his 70s. He is thinking about pickleball.

We asked if he thought his active life was the answer, he said genetics. His older brother is 100, the baby brother is 90.
yeah see that's what they never mention in these blue zones. what would happen if you put a random joe from somewhere else there? what impact does genetics have vs their lifestyles

yeah see that's what they never mention in these blue zones. what would happen if you put a random joe from somewhere else there? what impact does genetics have vs their lifestyles

We used to have blue zones here,

I think Americans have grown further apart and that loss of connection plays a big role. I know a lot of people who don't live in the same time zone as their family.

When I saw that we are to take cold showers it got me thinking I would not be as frisky. So why live so long? I did a wedding for a guy who was 82 when he got married. It amazed me that he went on his honeymoon and I hoped I would be able to perform when I am that age.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

#6 is not always in the control for employed individuals- I dream of retirement which is why I’m one of the few budget hawks on this forum

Glad to see she's embracing the true meaning of being a grandmother. All kidding aside, good luck.

Boy or girl?

Ps. Don't use a plane for a gender reveal.

Thanks, buddy. I joke around but we are both excited, still very stressed, but excited for the new addition to the family.

She's having a boy. I'm not gonna lie.... I'm getting excited for the little guy to be here. Having all girls, it'll be nice to be able to play with cars and trucks and buy boy toys that I can play with as well 😄.

92 and gonna pick up pickleball?

Legend.

Good list. 89 and a couple months from 9-0.

Lot of friends gone but still find new ones, retired at 70, do eat the foods you mention and sleep well most nights. Hard to not get stressed out when you are an IU fan but little else bothers me. Miss the beautiful lady I loved for so long, but three great sons and six special grandchildren ease the pain.

Cold shower would undo the entire list.

Enjoy my couple ounces of Johnny Walker a few evenings a week before dinner and a cold beer after golf sometimes with golfing buddies. Have some aches and pains typical for this age plus some leg and back issues but it is manageable. Play golf only a couple times a week now and limited to 9 holes, and while I have lost my game, I can still play mostly in the mid 40's keeping it enjoyable. Don't give advice unless asked to and not very tolerant of blatant stupidity by those who should know better.

Hope all of you have as good a life as I have had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT